The "contrarian" argument

It seems we've had an influx of asshurt redditors who seem to be in shambles because this board doesn't circlejerk and upvote themselves about their favorite shitty shows(mainly Rick and Morty and Steven Universe) so they call any and all criticism of the show 'user being a contrarian faggot"(note: faggot is the redditor's favorite insult)

How do we get rid of them?

The same way we always have: foster an atmosphere of toxicity and hostility to repel weak newcomers, then simultaneously congratulate ourselves for keeping the place clear of tryhards and loathe ourselves for pushing away the ones with actual talent and agency amongst us.

Same as it's always been.

What talent engages in internet shenagins? None worth seeing, be glad people with chops don't waste thier time here.

>influx of asshurt redditors
yes OP, go back to redit and tend to your anal injuries at home

Just avoid retard threads

Like this one?

>something comes out
>90% of posts about it are positive
>same thing becomes popular
>suddenly 90% of posts about it are negative

really gets the noggin joggin

>What talent engages in internet shenagins?
Hollywood celebrities

Now you are getting it

Oooh the asshurt, I struck a nerve reddit?

South Park Shipping threads are asscancer and we need to send them to /trash/. It reeks of Sup Forumsmblr.

What the fuck did you expect to happen if you make a thread going nobody agrees with anybody? That people would agree with you?

>Hollywood celebrities
>talent

Post WW2 racist cartoons so they get triggered and go away.

>LICK MY WOUNDS, Sup Forums HOW DO I COPE BAWWWW

You're just as bad as them, you limp dicked faggot.

I call people contrian faggots for liking TTG. I personally still like steven unuverse, but i dont call people contraians for not liking it because the show has a bunch of problems

I'd argue that anything new has a certain novelty factor about it, and unless its complete hot garbage, the majority of Sup Forums is going to be drawn to it through sheer optimistic curiosity. Eventually as time goes on people stop caring, the novelty goes away, people realise the piece of media isn't for them, any optimism they may have had has faded, perhaps as the media has progressed or aged, its flaws have become easier to spot. It gets to the point where only the die-hard fans really remain and when any discussion about the previously new media crops up, there is the perspective that the discussions descend into the piece of media being ridiculed by its critics, when typically, those critical of a piece outweigh those who praise it, even some of the die-hard fans will come to terms with the fact that their favorite media is not above critique.

As well we do have the idea that people will sometimes shy away from something that gains high popularity. Any media that gains high popularity will sometimes try to retain its mass appeal by catering to the lowest common denominator, causing the piece of media to lose the charm it had to begin with, that attracted so many fans, meaning people inevitably move on to something else. There can also be a sense of trying to move away from an undesirable fanbase, with some arguing that certain elements of the media in question directly cause the creation of a bad fanbase, meaning that the media itself is therefore bad or perhaps that a legitimately good piece of media has attracted an unattractive fanbase and has as a result become tainted.

I'd argue that after a certain amount of time passes and the fanbase shrinks and moves on to other things, there is an inevitable rediscovery of the piece of media, people feel they can now accept the media despite its flaws and previously horrible fanbase and that the media deserves a second chance.

Sup Forums in general and Sup Forums especially has ALWAYS been filled with contrarian faggots

You're either a newfag, autistic, or a redditor yourself. Everyone knows Sup Forums had been contrarian for years. When Sup Forums doesn't hate something solely for being popular, then they pretend to hate it just to bother people who like it. It's just a fact. Consider that if Sup Forums actually disliked things they claim to dislike, there wouldn't be replies in the threads calling them shit.

Yeah, but say Oh you just don't like because it's popular or oh you're just being a contrarian is not an argument.

And why not?

Literally this, having someone always be contrarian 100% of the time helps foster discussion from both sides of any subject, and it helps repel thin-skinned reddit faggots

support your contrarian brothers, be contrarian yourself and agree with contrarian posts

i myself become especially contrarian when i sense meme over-hype, even if i actually enjoy the subject.

>support your contrarian brothers, be contrarian yourself and agree with contrarian posts
I'm one of the people you replies to and no, don't. It's always been part of Sup Forums so calling it Reddit is stupid, but acting like it's good is just as stupid. It's just a benign kind of cancer that most people tune out as white noise.

I will, and it is good.

Ill fervently argue against meme-hype circlejerks just to keep things interesting, its literally good for Sup Forums as a whole on many levels

i guess im just too intelligent, nihilistic and my sense of humor too wicked for the likes of a faggot such as yourself

smartest post I've read on this godforsaken board in months

So what's the difference between "meme-hype" and regular hype? Are you saying you think people are pretending to like something so you then pretend to dislike it? And you keep saying it's good for Sup Forums, but in what way? Making yourself into a straw man only serves to make a fanbase even more of an echo chamber than it would be without you, and making up fake talking points only distracts from any actual talking points that could have come up instead.

I know for a fact alot of people hop on a bandwagon just to enjoy the company and popularity the ensuing fanbase promises.

Let's take cuphead, my sister draws cuphead OC not because she actually likes cuphead that much, but for the exposure and popularity associating with the fanbase guarantees, or so she claims herself.

She did the same thing with 5naf, and soon after the hype died down it stopped being useful as a bandwagon to leech popularity off of.

Yes a large part of hype is pretending to like something because they want to be part of a group and enjoy things with other people

I challenge these groups to question what is actually worthwhile and what is meaningless hype.

basically read this post this man knows the value in contrarianism critique

So you go to an anonymous community to question the people who are there for exposure? You're either lying or retarded.

You still arent getting it, if something is worth the hype it will stand up to criticism and stand the test of time as a quality product.

If it isnt, it wont.

Bringing this criticism to the topic makes it easier to consider the real quality of the product. Trying to argue against something popular is a good way to expose if that product is actually that good, for both the fan and the contrarian to benefit from the argument and its results

>Trying to argue against something popular is a good way to expose if that product is actually that good
But pretending to not like it just for the sake of it and making up fake arguments only buries the actual reasons to not like it under your bullshit, it's not helpful at all.

>making up fake arguments
Where did he say that?

You might as well ask how do we stop the moon from affecting the tides.

After 13 years here the more that changes the more that stays the same

I dont make up fake arguments, i explore the product for actual flaws.

i dont "not like it just for the sake of it" i am merely skeptical that most hyped things are deserving of the hype it receives, and i challenge the fanbases to consider this. Meanwhile i also learn the value of the product by arguing about it and trying to find things to argue about.

When he said he would act as if he dislikes things even when he likes them. That, and it's the very definition of a contrarian.

Watch the difference here
>This scene had good character interactions, I wish they hadn't spoiled that by _____ afterwards.
>The characters in this show suck, I can't believe it even has fans.
Now consider that if someone is thinking the first one but someone else says the second one, they will feel they have to defend what they like and are unable to actually talk about it objectively because of the tribalistic team based mentality around the subject. It's not helpful, it just makes the fanbase into an echo chamber, and covers up real discussion.

Oh I get it, you're retarded. Why didn't you say so from the start?

Skeptical and contrarian are intrinsically different and diametrically opposed ideas. You claim to be contrarian and now claim to be a skeptic.

user quit projecting onto others. It doesn't help foster real discussion.

>>The characters in this show suck, I can't believe it even has fans.

that's just having a bad argument, not "being contrarian"

my contrarian post would be more along the lines of

"i dont like the characters, for instance when X happened i didnt like Y."

contrarians are skeptical moron, do you really claim that skepticals aren't typically contrarian?

you are the only retard here, you think being one thing excludes you from being something else.

That's objectively not contrarian. Stop being retarded.

No. They're literally not.

You posted some very compelling arguments there user.

pls provide a source to this definition.

>A contrarian is a person that takes up a contrary position, especially a position that is opposed to that of the majority.

>Skepticism is generally any questioning attitude or doubt towards one or more items of putative knowledge or belief

It appears to me that one can be contrarian in the course of also being skeptical.

The irony in this thread is hilariously high.

OP is a faggot, but le contrarian meme is cancer and everyone who seriously uses that argument like this faggot is human garbage that should never be allowed to discuss anything.

Your average Sup Forumsntrarian post tends to amount to
>this is literally the next MLP why do you always love shit reeeee
Inevitably no show can be discussed for more than a week or two on nu/co/ before any mention of it spawns several shitposting threads full of angry faggots.

>everyone who seriously uses that argument like this faggot is human garbage that should never be allowed to discuss anything.
Deal with it faggot.

You first, preferrably by jumping off a cliff and saving everyone from your retardation and shitty "arguments" if you can call those that.

>your retardation and shitty "arguments" if you can call those that.
Quit conflating anons, bitch.

>say that you dislike anything remotely popular or like anything unpopular
>WAHHH CAWHTHWAWIAN CWWAHTVAHWIAN U JUSS PRETENDING TO LOOK COOL WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I agree with OP, it's fucking annoying at this point.

Quit living, subhuman.

It's the definition of the word, so I didn't think I needed to. Guess you're just dumb, huh?

>especially a position opposed by the majority
Exclusively. If you agree with the majority, you're not contrary to it.

Skipticism begins with a position of neutrality in order to objectively find the truth, contrarianism begins from a position counter to what was already presented. They are objectively opposed.

It's funny that you're trying to act superior to him because he's not presenting an argument, but all you're saying is kys without presenting an argument. You're literally the same kind of poster.

by leaving your door unlocked at night so i can come in white boi

But if every SU thread start by saying "it's shit" am I not being contrarian if I defend it?

>It's the definition of the word, so I didn't think I needed to. Guess you're just dumb, huh?
Saying no and leaving it at that isn't an argument. And you clearly don't know the definition of contrarian so you should drop any pretensions of superiority.

>the sky is red!
>it's not
>THATS NOT AN ARGUMENT!!
It wasn't meant to be an argument because that point isn't up for discussion. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Oh I'm so so so sorry for giving the shitposting retard a reply he actually deserves.
Want an argument? Fine. It's a shitty meme-word that contributes absolutely nothing to discussion but strangling and trying to dismiss any opinions that don't go with the particular hivemind. Satisfied? Now fuck off.

Because i personally have a questioning attitude or doubt towards an items of putative (commonly accepted) belief (that its this item is good)
contrary position that is opposed to that of the majority.

I dont agree with the majority for the sake of challenging my own doubts by probing the fans to resolve my arguments.

>their favorite shitty shows(mainly Rick and Morty and Steven Universe
And BoJack Horseman.

I take a contrary position that is opposed to that of the majority.*

sorry wasnt paying attention

Yes, we already established that you're a skeptic. We are agreed there. The only thing you're in denial of is being a ducking retard for thinking that's what a contrarian is. Maybe the fact the Sup Forums spams contrarian at everything has clouded your idea of what a contrarian is?

How am i not a contrarian if i constantly take a position opposed by the majority?

>it's a fact.
What fact? The definition of contrarian that you got completely wrong and still pretending to know?

You're still conflating anons retard.

And you still need to die like a worthless moron you are. Fuck off,

Sup Forums is loev you fucks

You can't spell contrarian without Sup Forums

Basically at this point I give up on you. You're countering your own previous points and spouting off nonsense.

No, you're just clinging to your "first Google result" definition instead of going to an actual resource.
>a person who takes a contrary position or attitude; specifically :an investor who buys shares of stock when most others are selling and sells when others are buying
>Merriam Webster

Yeah, fuck those goddamn faggots. They fuck our shit into an asshole. Those cum guzzlers can kys and die. Fuck them, fucking faggots, ass bitch, whore, cuck-a-doodle-doo.

I've got a question.
Why is Sup Forums and Sup Forums in particular incapable of comprehending that someone could just have a different point of view or different opinion on something and always have to see a non-existent ulterior motive?

Keep being a thin skinned little bitch that gets so butt hurt by other user's opinions that he thinks they shouldn't have a say.

Keep being a worthless retard who makes any discussion cancerous by garbage excuses for arguments. Or better yet do as I told you and off yourself, no one would ever mourn you.

>have unpopular opinion
>present arguments
>see if the person who replied is presenting any arguments
>if the post is shit just ignore it
Wow so hard

Making assumptions about complete stranger on the internet with little to no basis is kinda our thing.
For example you sound like a faggot.

>Or better yet do as I told you and off yourself, no one would ever mourn you.
That's very edgy of you. Are you trying to be as hurtful as those other anons who dared to have an opinion that differed from yours?

>Making assumptions about complete stranger on the internet with little to no basis is kinda our thing.
That shit is cancer and kills the argument, its the reason why we can't discuss touchy subjects without it derailing into silly MSpaint comics and memes

People who shit on rick and morty go out of their way to shit on it like it's their new favorite hobby.

That's why horror threads and horror fans in particular are insufferable.
>"I didn't think the new horror movie because it wasn't scary to me"
>"You just want jumpscares/torture/gore/anything I don't like"
Every fucking time. It's like they always believe that you HAVE to have inferior tastes to them if you disagree with them.

*I didn't like

Really we wouldn't know people that frequent another website did so if it wasn't such a big deal with you basics.

>who dared to have an opinion that differed from yours?
The irony here is palbale, holy fuck.
Still off yourself.

>The irony here is palpable, holy fuck.
There is no irony because you're still working off your retarded assumption about me. But I shouldn't be surprised by a mongoloid like you who can only muster up "K-kill yourself" as his only retort. Grow thicker skin or fuck off.

>spends the whole thread defending cancer that ruins any discussion
>y-you're assuming
>m-muh shitty meme is just an opinion you disagree with
You are fucking pathetic
>Grow thicker skin
More irony, coming from one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen. No wonder you're defending that garbage word so much. The only mongoloid here is you.
Oh, and me telling you to kill yourself is just showing my concern for the future of humanity. I'd much rather prefer a world where braindead wastes of flesh are food for pigs rather than living breathing organisms taking up places better people could have.

Keep pretending I'm a different user maybe it'll eventually be true.
>Oh, and me telling you to kill yourself is just showing my concern for the future of humanity. I'd much rather prefer a world where braindead wastes of flesh are food for pigs rather than living breathing organisms taking up places better people could have.
I really need that laugh user. Please keep being ridiculously edgy.

>whines about assumptions
>makes retarded assumptions
Holy shit, you're fucking hilarious. I have no idea what you're talking about with this "y-you're conflating" bullshit and why you're so butthurt because someone thinks your meme is garbage.

I never, at any point, defended the "meme". I called you a massive cry baby bitch.

So you're an idiot with nothing of value to say. Thanks for wasting my time I could've spent on actually intelligent people.
>whiny retard starts shitting himself because I said that idiots who can't argue shouldn't be allowed to argue in the first place
>calls someone else a crybaby
lel

Whatever you say user. I'm glad you decided to quit after realizing you're a fucking idiot. Have a good one.

I'm the one you're mad at and while your first reply was to one of my posts you've been talking to someone else ever since there you fucking retard.

Nah, baby. I realized that YOU are a fucking idiot. I know it's hard for your tiny brain to comprehend but try paying attention to words. And I'm not quitting either. Your idiocy is entertaining to me. Go on, say more of your stupid shit.

I still insist that you kill yourself, though.

He's been telling you from the start that he's not the person you think he is, and you're just now realizing that he isn't and you're calling him the idiot for that? You're a new level of retard.

>whiny retard starts shitting himself because I said that idiots who can't argue shouldn't be allowed to argue in the first place
It's funny to me that you think that's what happened.

user you're confused. You're the source of amusement here.

You were a hypocrite for a second, and then when it was pointed out to you you because a hilarious shitting monkey on display for nearly an hour. Rest assured, everyone else is laughing at you.

Dude, Sup Forums is contrarian central, don't lie

>>Sup Forums

>You were a hypocrite
Sure I was
Rest assured, everyone else is laughing at you.
So did you ignore
or are you going to keep lying? Either way thanks for the laughs.

>all four are me
>asking if I ignored myself
You really can't figure out who's making what post, can you? You should probably stop guessing, it makes you look stupid.

>the retard still thinks I care
If you weren't a complete idiot and could actually read, you'd know there was never any implication that I think that I'm arguing with the faggot I first replied to, just with a retard who defends a shitty word.
>b-but I'm totally not defending it, y-you're just a bitch ;_;
Which makes your idiotic assumption that I think I'm arguing with the same person more hilarious.
And yes, you are an idiot.
That's exactly what happened, babe.
Keep telling yourself that.

>everything new here is reddit
I think I've heard this one before.