How do you feel about 90's being cool in modern cartoons now?

How do you feel about 90's being cool in modern cartoons now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I feel like modern cartoons look really badly animated and sterile.

Flash animation was a mistake, I guess.

They all need to look at Kaiba, because that is simple art style done right.

I don't hate it but I don't particularly like it either. Part of me feels like these types of references are shoehorned in to make up for a lack of personality or humor otherwise.

I don't watch cartoons so I couldn't care less. Probably no different than the 50s and 60s references in the ones I grew up with.

>videogames.

>modern cartoons
bandwagon hipster is not retro

tumblr was more of a mistake

Is that Cloud on SU?

Kaiba could use some shading if I'm being honest. I realize a lot of old japanese animation, mostly children's stuff, also omits proper shading because it's cheaper and kids don't give a fuck

Is that RPG World? I feel old.

It's OK KO.

once upon a time there was a webcomic called RPG World
the guy who made that then made OK K.O and there was a crossover
the end

Ian's living the dream, goddamn
when's nockFORCE gonna make an appearance

I'm okay with it.

>Depriving kids of their own childhood decade just so you can live in a shitty sanitized rehash of yours
Nostalgiafags are cancer.

I feel sorry for kids nowadays

>Cartoon has nothing but anime/videogame references from before they were born
>"hey user why does that kid have weird hair and a huge sword?"
>"OH MY GOD HOW OLD ARE YOU? ITS FROM FINAL FANTASY 7, THE BEST JRPG OF ALL TIME, DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH"
>Will go and play the orignal and be underwhelmed as hell.

It's the natural progression of things. Anyone who's upset about it forgets about how cartoons when they were growing up were filled with dated references. Or they know about them and think they're "epic" and "so mature"

It would be better if they knew how to draw.

It's a reference to the guy who made the show's webcomic though.

Wow user, you just described kids for the past 17 years.

Seriously, it's been 18 years of nostalgia fagging. 90s kids have been doing this since 1999, and it probably ain't gonna stop until they die of old age.

I hate it. I want to take out a hit on Jon Malin

>Back then
>Sees a beatles reference on Simpsons
>Ask family or older friends about it.
>They nostalgia about them before showing you it

>Nowadays
>Sees a [insert nostalgic thing here]
>Ask family or older friends about it
>get lectured on how amazing it is and how you'd never understand because you wasn't a '90's kid'

You sound like my dad.

I think a portion of Sup Forums is legitimately mad that they grew up alongside people who actually work in the industry now.

OK KO
All his character did was grind small monsters all day in order to rush the dungeon and beat the boss, who later revealed he was grinding the entire time too making those 9 hrs the hero did grinding utterly pointless (and yet after hearing this his solution was to grind some more)

Are 90s kids the new baby boomers in terms of deciding culture?

The US concept of "traditional Christmas" is basically "how it was when we were kids" for baby boomers, and that hasn't stopped being the case since. Now, we have 90s kids dominating media with their nostalgia trips, meaning modern pop culture is retro pop culture.

Which outcome you get depends more on your luck and less on the decade, you still had a good chance of that same shit happening back then

Ian and Jim hinted at it on the Pizza Party Podcast. It's not guaranteed but Jim gave the ok to do it, meaning CN could license it.

Your dad probably grew up with shit that was better than manchildren gushing over the shit they had as kids. Manchildren who despite having exponentially better technology and resources than the creators of those things, couldn't make anything independently entertaining to save their lives.

Technology has reached the point where there aren't any formal limitations to find charming. Video game representation in media is probably going to continue being beep boop pixel shit because it's cheap as fuck to produce and there's no noticeable way to convey the basically-seamless nature of modern games and computers.

Maybe the nostalgiafags of tomorrow will put a shitton of buffering spirals into their nostalgia trips.

>Are 90s kids the new baby boomers in terms of deciding culture?
Yes, predicated solely upon the fact that Millennials are the largest generation since Boomers. Gen X is both significantly smaller and less motivated to shove their cultural shit in people's faces, and basically all they've even done in that regard is make 80's references, so Millennials are in a prime position to take the torch from the Boomers and become the primary drivers of culture. And like Boomers, it looks like they're gonna be shoving a shitload of nostalgia into it. Much like the 80's were pumped full of 50's nostalgia, I predict that the 2020's will be pumped full of 90's nostalgia.

Your words make me want to set the world on fire.

I feel like you're misusing that pic
consider this instead:
Base small amounts of things that you enjoyed as a kid and make new scenarios/settings for future generations to love

I remember when adults were trying to push the 80's fad back in 2005

Eh, what can ya do? I bet older generations were worried about Boomers shoving 50's and 60's shit everywhere, and it happened anyway. 90's nostalgia in the 2020's might give us some cool shit like 50's nostalgia in the 80's helped to give us Back to the Future and Grease, you never know.

While you have a point that later generations can produce fun interpretations of previous culture, I really don't see the current producers of media capable of accomplishing anything along the same lines of quality as BttF or what have you. The ever-progressing trend of making characters simpler and copping out for cheaper forms of production will probably see to that. Look at current reboots that are stiffly animated and poorly drawn. That's what we're getting as modern interpretations.

wow she's really angry

it's kind of turning me on

The main issue, I think, is that back in the day the only people who'd really even be involved in movies or stuff that would later become "pop culture" were people who had artistic backgrounds to begin with. They generally had a broader grasp of art as a generality, a lot of movie people majored in theatre, even disney was predominantly founded by normal landscape painters. So you had people who not only knew what they were doing, but also knew more about what came before, going as far as to keeping up to date with literature and foreign art movements.

Now, ever since then there's been a shift where a lot of people producing art don't come from that same background, they come from a fanbase background. A simplified version is the otaku phenomenon of people incredibly well versed in anime and manga... but ONLY those things and dont have a broader library of culture outside of it, which leads to generations of really introspective but eventually repetitive fan oriented content that loses a real artistic perspective in favor of a postmodernist one more akin to audience interaction than an actual artistic abstraction of a core idea the artist tries to communicate.

It's a double edged sword, it democratizes art a bit so you dont have to be some rich art snob to be able to make art, but it also means more people who dont actually understand art try to do it and are likely to find more success because they focus more on cultural interpersonality and audience approval than any specific kind of artistic vision. You also see them justify this to themselves a lot more publicly.

I could go on but I think you get the point.

wonder what 2070 will be like

>Back then
>See a beatles reference on Pinky & The Brain
>Ask family about it
>All of them are either rednecks who say "They were fags" or my mom who says "I heard their music when I was a teen, they were awful and overrated."
>Don't discover them until I'm in my fucking 20s

>Nowadays
>Sees a [insert nostalgic thing here]
>Fucking google it because I have the internet and literally all knowledge is available instantaneously

I'd also like to point out that the downside of a highly concentrated fandom is what I'm going to call the "influence incest phenomenon", in which people who are fanatical about one thing and only one thing will more likely than not create similar material to one another and eventually hit a brick wall in which its too noticeable to take at face value as something truly unique.

That's something videogames, oddly enough, seem to have avoided. Yes, there's a lot of shitty "DUDE RETRO LMAO" stuff, but I think it speaks volumes that the one animation project that has most accurately recaptured the golden age of american animation didn't come from the animation industry, but from the videogame industry, and from an independend developer no less. This guy isnt even artistically trained, he just traced over and studied old animation until he got gud. That's the key thing, he STUDIED. he looked into something outside of the norm and really LEARNED it. The end result was that it didnt matter if he wasnt initiated into the fandom cult, he could more accurately produce something most people thought impossible in today's world (which is a strange thing to think since we have more technology to do this sorta thing than the people who originally did it had).

I think the best thing to do if you're an animator is to find artistic influence from literally anything else but other animation. You'll find more variety and maybe learn stuff about the world if you don't limit yourself to being a fan pleaser.

This is painfully on-point, so no one else will acknowledge it, except maybe one guy who calls this poster a fag to be contrarian.

fag

...he says while posting a reaction image taken from a modern interpretation of a 90s property that is pretty much universally agreed to be way better than previous TV interpretations.

False advertising.

>>Will go and play the orignal and be underwhelmed as hell.
FF VII holds up quite well. The only issue is the tonal dissonance of finger puppets having dramatic conversations about the fate of the planet.

>>Will go and play the orignal and be underwhelmed as hell.
More like
>Will go to youtube and watch let's plays

The 90's were already the pinacle of derivate culture, though. They were the 80's with more computers and a hint of rebel spirit.

What i think defines this 90's nostalgia and the fanboy phenomenon you describe is a clear "life was simple, easier and better" mood, it's desperately clinging to a frozen-state world where certain things were still in place, or happened a certain way, or weren't seen negatively. It was made into a mythical utopia of childhood goodness where TV, movies, games and toys were all good, there was neither cold war or war on terror and the world was at peace and moving forward, a few good social causes still warranted activism but were essentially "won", and you could still fall back into a traditional American dream as a life plan. It was a decade of expectations, of a new century AND a new millenium. What they want is to roll back and not redo the things that came afterwards but permanently stay in that last moment of blissful zenit before the giant plunge of adulthood, shattered dreams and reality came.

And yet all those things they glorify were not in the least as they're depicted and people who were actually adults during the decade will be quick to point out, of course.

Don't you think that's rather simplifying things though? Trends don't last forever and often come to a shocking, abrupt end. For all we know where we stand the 2020's could either be the most derivative swill of all time or an explosion in creativity. We don't know until we get there and assuming the best or the worst feels like needless guessing.

>How do you feel about 90's being cool in modern cartoons now?
Like the cactus crew, especially the ones that are dead

but the cloud copycat spent the whole episode grinding only to achieve nothing in the end. he was the opposite of cool

>Remember Steven Universe?
>IT WAS A GOOD SHOW
>You're a shitlord if you don' remember it

>eating in bed
Fucking degenerate.

it's dumb to call the Hero crossover shoehorned because OK KO is about heroes and Hero is a jrpg hero literally NAMED HERO

a nockforce reference would be shoehorned though. they're just two guys shooting the shit making dumb jokes

There's normally a 10 year gap between the premier of something and annoying nostalgia like that, and a 30 year gap before it becomes referenced and shoved into pop culture. Expect whiny SU nostalgia to begin ~2025 and SU pop culture references ~2045

the "classic" christmas songs on the radio are pretty much all from the 50s and 60s because that shit was new when boomers grew up, and they made it their tradition

but for 90s kids those same songs were still played all the time, *because* of boomers. when a 90s band made a christmas song it was usually a hokey novelty or a cover. notice how pretty much none get replayed

hell, even gen x left their mark on christmas with all the now-classic christmas specials put out in the 70s and 80s.

the trend of new specials, and every show putting out a christmas episode definitely continued in the 90s, but none of the new stuff really cemented as classics. hell, i love the johnny bravo christmas special, but since CN doesnt want to acknowledge any of its past shows, the new generations will never see it and thus it wont stick

with the consolidation of large franchises going on forever and the utter inability of entertainment industries to branch and experiment, i think we're in for the long ride.

90's cartoons were coated with references to pop culture from previous decades as well.

>tfw mid2000'sfag

Well, that and the 50's were the first decade with passable audio recording technology so it's a bit hard to go older than that without kids calling it "spooky" or someshit.

Lotta Christmas songs were originally recorded in the 30's and 40's, with late 40's-early 50's covers of those songs becoming the standard due to better audio technology.

>everyone jerks off to 90s stuff
>no one acknowledges that chill time when people were playing jet set radio, listening to gorillaz, and watching FLCL and cowboy bebop, and browsing newgrounds
>no graffitipunk action shows with good music and stylish animation

>2020s will have 2000's references
But there was literally nothing cool in terms of western shit

>we draw stuff off model and shittily like a half cooked doodle, but its okay, because we're being intentionally ironic and hip and funny and postmodern guys

that's really the only thing I dislike about modern animation, it takes me out of it, breaks the illusion, so to speak. If you're not gonna give a shit, why should I, you know? Makes them feel more like novelties than something that'll actually stick with me.

Most people actually do remember that stuff but lump it in with the 90's for some reason. Tons of people think Samurai Jack was a 90's cartoon even though it didn't premier until almost the end of 2001 for example. No idea why exactly,

>But there was literally nothing cool in terms of western shit

it wasn't all bad

Early-mid 00's were pretty great though, it wasn't until the late 00's that things went to shit.

You're way out of touch grandpa. That cycle has been getting shorter and shorter for every year thanks to the pop culture churning mill that is the internet. At this point it barely takes a month from a big pop culture hit until it gets referenced in other shows - and it's not limited to South Park anymore.

>70'sfag

>Gorillaz
>Cool

Sorry user but that will always be a pleb opinion held by plebs and forever exist as a pleb identification method

Early 2000s is the same culture as the 90s, that's why.

The zeitgeist started getting more cynical after 9/11, and accelerated to full on constant sarcastic nihilist smartassery over the course of that decade and especially the current one. You can thank the internet for that, causing everyone to lose their empathy and sincerity to a maelstrom of tribalist echo chambers, flamewars, conspiracies, desensitization and memes. And Sup Forums lead the charge from the start.

Can this be simplified as a cycle?
>new medium appears, along with original tropes and motifs --> New medium expands, yet small enough not to be dominated by a whole "canon" of big works, allowing for "outside cultural knowledge to seep in --> this new knowledge mixes with the original tropes to greatly enhance the canon --> the size of the canon grows exponentially --> the basic level of medium knowledge to become a producer of that media rises, shutting out the knowledge from other mediums --> medium turns referential, and thus shit

Wrong post

It's not an explicit rule, it didn't happen with literature or music as a whole. I think it's more apparent in genrework. The fact that it happened to animation just means most people consider it a genre and not a full medium.

True. But again, looking at literature and music, those genres were pretty formulaic until the last 500 and 300 years respectively

It's poetically ironic that Sup Forums houses so many conservative sentiments now, like they are a portion of that original outbreak trying to put it back into Pandora's box. Or perhaps it's just the beginning of a larger backlash, this place being always ahead of the curve in every marvel and scourge alike.

whatever the case, Sup Forums was right

Technology, man. Literature was gonna change the moment the printing press let people produce books by the public, for the public instead of monks hand crafting stuff comissioned by rich people. Consecutively, the moment music could be distributed in recordings instead of being something a couple of entertainers were comissioned by rich people to do as performances, it'd change.

I think those were moreso changes in distribution, though. Animation has of course evolved with technology to digital, but the only real change in distribution was that tiny era when everyone and their mom had a flash cartoon, and aggregators did a right swell job of fucking that up.

I think when films as a whole change distribution patterns, you're gonna see animation follow.

IDK, of anything there seems to be a surge of moderate, sane liberalism on this site as a reaction to Sup Forums. Sup Forums's zeitgeist was already adopted by most of the far-right political movements in the West

I'd rather be a pessimist, because then I'm either right or pleasantly surprised.

I honestly do not think that animation's distribution patterns, and subsequently content, is going to change do to its labor- and skill-heavy nature, which of course favors entities with enough resources to withstand those labor and skill costs. Hopefully I am wrong though. Some megacorp is probably going to realize the huge potential profits to be made with an animation program with prepacked characters and character animations, which is probably worse imo, than now, as now the stage, cinematography, and character design are controlled and regulated, which in turn affects the creativity and message of the stories in question, and how they can communicate themselves

Sup Forums represents the exact same terrible sentiment I'm describing, retard. I said Sup Forums was leading the charge, but Sup Forums is the fucking flag bearer prancing in front of the charge like retarded clowns. They have never been right about anything, and they represent everything wrong with today's culture.

>corporate regulated indie animation
... jesus, that's a pretty dystopian vision I never really thought about.

>he doesn't know what RPG World is.
Are you underaged?
Oh wait, it released over 17 years ago. Time really flies.

rpg world was in and of itself 90s jrpg nostalgiawank tho.

So now it's not ok because RPG World isn't in it's debut years anymore.

user, this is the first time in the history of the world in which we have immediate, loss-less, unrestricted access to information and media on a nearly universal basis.

It would literally be impossible for people even fifty years ago to watch every movie, or know of every book, hear every song, or understand and picture every event from the same year, let alone a whole decade as to build a consistent synthesis of it, now we're not only trapped in a pointless struggle to fully understand it and engross it(thus the referencial nature of the media), and to spread and even out a common culture for a globalized world(and suffering the consequences in the form of radical politics and terrorism), we're creating more and more at an exponentially growing rate.

Mankind, as is won't handle it. People will have to return to closer communities, closer cultures and closer life styles.

newfag, is all i can say. Sup Forums throd the path into this nihilistic, perverse hellhole first, you just don't remember the days the search for "teh lulz" was genuinely a thing. Sup Forums began as nihilists looking to see things burn too, but as foolish as their moral crusade is they genuinely think they have a vision for a better world.

Considering how corporations are becoming an essential part of daily living it will probably happen, at least in some mild form. But I am not too worried though, centralization of art forms by single entities breeds the creation of underground scenes like rabbits. Look at how the severe censorship of the Hay's Code and general corporate control of media lead to the creation of the alternative comics/ media underground, one of the most creative environments in Modern history. Creativity will blossom in the corporate sterility of 2030's, but it will be found in the dusty, should-be commended sub-basement broom closet of Disney-Google's 4th most-important North American office

Nigga please. It started three years after FF7 was released. I'm pretty sure it started before the PS2 was released. It was a current events comic.

Your mom knows what's up.

>Chile had film board that everyone has to get greenlit by before they could make a movie
>alexandro motherfucking jodorowsky goes nuclear and makes absolute batshit insane indie stuff
>even his unfinished Dune adaptation was so kino pretty much the entirety of movie fiction would've been completely different if any of the people he'd organized hadn't been there

I hope we get an animator with that much gusto someday.

I argue that the cultural shrinkage you are hypothesizing is already happening, in form of the echo chambers of Facebook and Sup Forums, but at the same time it is enabling individuals, who would normal waste away under the more insular cultures of pre-Internet, take this functionally unlimited stream of information and synthesize it into something new and radical. Problem is though, those individuals only compromise about like 0.002% of the population, their uniqueness disturbs others, have somewhat crippling psychological problems, and are subsequently either disgruntled NEETs or committed misanthropes

>Problem is though, those individuals only compromise about like 0.002% of the population, their uniqueness disturbs others, have somewhat crippling psychological problems, and are subsequently either disgruntled NEETs or committed misanthropes

in trying times those kinds have always found platforms to exploit the situation and rise to relevance or to exert power, right now they are manifesting in their ability to conduct and rile the masses.

Oh please go on.

>IDK, of anything there seems to be a surge of moderate, sane liberalism on this site as a reaction to Sup Forums.

that is in itself a conservative position in contrast to the militant and extremist left and right movements of today.

remember "moderate, sane liberalism" was the American way for most of last century.

That's Final Fantasy VIII actually, I was so mad when I found out the enemies leveled too

Does it really count as nostalgia wank if the game wasn't even "nostalgic" yet? VII was 1997 and RPG World was 2000, so 3 years really makes it more just topical of the time and more of a general parody or homage then nostalgic grab.

Honestly while I enjoyed the episode the Captain Planet one really makes more sense to bitch about than the RPG World episode. It was clearly a nostalgic grab opposed to finally giving something else you worked on a proper ending.

I feel weird personally. Like I am from the same generation as those people, and I grew up on cartoon nostalgic of the 60-70's. Seeing my childhood/teenagehood getting referenced as a selling point just doesn't feel right.

>why are shows run by people who grew up in the 90s so full of 90s junk

hmmmmmmm

youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY