What does Sup Forums think about "Rubber Hose" cartoons?

What does Sup Forums think about "Rubber Hose" cartoons?

Anyone else find them slightly eerie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aYZ5-lTEKQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SPMFhcC4SvQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A little. The way they move and occasionally the expressions can be a bit uncanny. Would be interesting to see more horror done in this style.

>inb4 "rubber hose and noodle arms are totally the same thing!"

They are a little eerie, but I don't think it's specifically because of the way they move. It's little details that make them unsettling, like how everybody has square human teeth.

Nope, I think it's cute and endearing. A relic of a bygone age of animation that deserves more praise.

Literally the new Undertale

It's not just "cute and endearing". It's what the craft of animation looks like pushed to its expressive potential. Rubber hose isn't just some old fad. It was the culmination of decades of masterful refinement of the medium. These skills have been lost for a long time, and even the later generations of lesser-but-still-skillful are dying out. Animation is in its death throes, and will require a large rediscovery several years from now in order to revive to a prosperous and highly skilled state.

As of right now there is no avenue to becoming a skillful animator, and the knowledge will have to be rediscovered from scratch.

Or, animation will just become another in a long line of lost mediums throughout human history.

Of traditional animation, sure. But digital animation such as CG will continue to prosper. Granted, it won't look as pretty as traditional, but it's what will be profitable in the end.

WANNA BE A MEMBER, WANNA BE A MEMBER?

CGI is still in its infancy. We have no idea what its potential is or what mastery of CGI animation will look like, if it ever comes.

Prosperous and profitable are not the same thing as artistically transcendent. Progress is not inevitable.

>Rubber hose isn't just some old fad. It was the culmination of decades of masterful refinement of the medium.
Rubber hose was dead by the mid-30s. It was the first dominant style of the animation industry and was mostly due to unrefined nature of early animation and the heavy influences of comic strips.

NO!

What the fuck are you talking about? Animation was not created in the 20th century, let alone the fucking 30's.

"Unrefined"? Fuck outta here lmao.

please dont post about things you dont understand

t. Sup Forumsncerned citizen

I've always liked vintage cartoons, from what I've seen. I wanted to find the cream of the crop of 20's/30's cartoons, and compile them together to show others. I've been watching a lot, but there are hundreds of cartoons to go through.
I would like it to be diverse, around 3-10 each of the best Felix the Cat, Koko the Clown, Mickey Mouse, Silly Symphonies, Talkartoons, Betty Boop, Popeye the Sailor, Aesop's Fables, Loony Tunes, Bosco, Flip the Frog, and more, with various stuff from various sources like Walt Disney, the Fleischer brothers, Ub Iwerks, Grim Natwick, etc. If you wanted to list some of your favorites from any of these I'd be happy to look into them. What are some other characters/series/creators to look into that I haven't listed?

>Koko in "Kolor"
>Koko's first color appearance was a cameo in Famous Studios' Screen Song, "Toys Will Be Toys," (1949), one of the revived "Screen Songs" series produced by Famous Studios.
That's nifty.
>In 1958, Max Fleischer set out to revive Out of the Inkwell for television, and a series of 100 color episodes were produced in 1960–1961 by Hal Seeger using the voice talents of Larry Storch.
I can find nothing about this.

I can't think of anything you haven't listed at the top of my heard, but wanted to say your efforts to share animation history are appreciated. Plenty of people know about these works, but not everyone has actually sat down and watched them.

The ending to that short was spooky as hell.

Which cartoon Network music video had this shit?

I'm roll'n
I'm roll'n
I'm roll'n now

got more Koko? he was always my favorite from the Betty boop crew.

youtu.be/aYZ5-lTEKQQ

He's referencing cuphead and a forced meme

What is the difference?

rubber hose is the old stuff
noodle arms is Adventure time and tumbler stuff

What is the difference between "the old stuff" and "tumbler stuff" besides the year in which it was made and the people who made it? I'm asking about a technical difference in the moving pictures themselves.

Rubber hose is surreal and always moving in creepy ways. Noodle arms is low budget outsourced imitation garbage with none of the quality seen in rubber hose.

They are nothing alike. "Rubber" is the key word here. Rubber hose animation has stretching and bending, but never turns liquid like noodle arms. Rubber hose has give and take, push and pull. There's an internal logic built on anticipation, which is the foundation of skillfull animation.

Noodle arms are just a crutch for unskilled workers who can't do anything better because they were never trained to do so. There's no weight to them. No soul in the movement. To animate is literally to give life to the inanimate, and rubber hose was a showcase of the mastery of this skill.

I always thought that the very early Fleischer and Disney cartoons seemed like nobody quite had a grip on what good animation was supposed to look like.
I can only describe it as "over animated". Things don't have the appropriate weight to them. Not to shit on the Masters because this was obviously an experimental era and they mostly had it down by the late 30s.

Is noodle arm even a thing anymore?
I feel people made a big deal of it than it really was.

I want to kill who ever thought noodle arm was a good idea.

Not really, no. It's literally gotten to the point that noodle arms are now too much work for these animators. It's fucking pathetic.

Rubber hose is a style that allows of cartoony movement and physics and interesting designs and concepts.
Noodle arms is a "style" that allows talentless hacks to make bad cartoons and have their Korean sweatshop workers pump them out in record times while having stiff animation and a hideous, ugly art style.

Aren't most current cartoons still noodle arm? OKKO, Star, Loud House all spring to mind

>It’s fucking pathetic
Edgy

There’s only like two shows that even use noodle arm.

Star Vs and TLH don’t use noodle arm.

Anyone who ever used noodle arm should fucking kill themselves.
Noodle arm is the cancer killing animation.

>No soul
CARTOONS DON'T HAVE SOULS YOU FUCKING PAGAN.

then what came out of the weasels in "Who framed Roger Rabbit?" Checkmate atheists.

Thickness

He's got a point

Koko always freaked me out for some reason

The old school clowns to me always seemed more freaky then funny.

SAY BOY GIVE ME ANOTHER SHOT OF THAT BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE

that's not what edgy means dumbass

>It's what the craft of animation looks like pushed to its expressive potential. Rubber hose isn't just some old fad. It was the culmination of decades of masterful refinement of the medium.
Not gonna lie, that's some pretty good bait.

I mean, there's actually people who believe this isn't there?

Flescher's Superman shorts are nice on the eyes.

>Rubber hose is surreal and always moving in creepy ways.
The reason for that is because animator's hadn't really hammered out the principles regarding timing and overlap yet.

Rubber hose still has weight. Noodlearms is just floaty garbage.

>I always thought that the very early Fleischer and Disney cartoons seemed like nobody quite had a grip on what good animation was supposed to look like.

Not only seemed but they really did not have a grip on it. Back then making the gag appear on the screen and continue to next gag was more of a priority than more realistic movement. The standard rules for animation today were all established by trial and error in Disney studios, their competitors did not have names for those tricks and never a unified system until everyone started aping Disney.

>CGI is still in its infancy
pftt hahahaha. What a corporate cocksucking moron you are. You already have seen all it can do.

Dude, stop embarrassing yourself. Your "opinions" aren't valid here.

>Calling out low quality is edgy
Did they hurt your feefees on /ic/?

Mmmm nice butts.

>reality is a meme is I'm late to read the news

This. This is Sup Forums that we're talking about, this place has no grasp on animation history so having an actually informed opinion about it is not allowed.

youtube.com/watch?v=SPMFhcC4SvQ
yep, technology will never advance past what we have now

Shut the fuck up loser. I'm not on your side. Don't ever reply to me again. Fuck's sake.

Who are you talking to?

kill yourself you fucking arrogant faggot

This kid is past his bedtime.

SHUT
UP

ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE?

My 3-year-old cousin's favorite cartoon is Bimbo's Initiation.