Thoughts on Todd McFarlane? Spider-Man sold best when he was on it

Thoughts on Todd McFarlane? Spider-Man sold best when he was on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1991.html
eventhubs.com/news/2015/feb/17/spawn-mortal-kombat-x-todd-mcfarlane-has-given-netherrealm-permission-use-his-character/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

One time, for no reason at all, he gave himself a fake persona (Will Carlton) and ghost-wrote his own Spawn comics.

I wanna be on that level someday.

Whaaaa

In general? He's pretty fucking cool. I'm still only on the early issues of Spawn, the HBO series is probably one of my top 3 favorite animated series ever. He's also one of my favorite artists even if he isn't one of the best cause I love edgy shit and also his YouTube channel is good. I love that channel and Jim Lee's twitch stream.

They're endearing and adorable in that enthusiastic middle-aged nerd dad way.

Spawn may be hot garbage, but he's an icon, can do whatever he wants, and has nothing to prove.

The guy revolutionized toys. Then like most boomers he thought he knew everything and had reached the summit of the mountain so he said "fuck you" to progression and the toy glory went to the japs.

I'd hang out with Todd

Why did he do this exactly?

If the debate between him and PAD is any indication of his true personality he seems like a prick.

Should I read spawn?

Yes.

>Spider-Man sold best when he was on it

for 1 issue, and that was purely due to speculator exploitation

Spawn's at his best when he's not writing him
Also
youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

Elaborate

Spawn represents everything right with comics and you should support it and Todd McFarlane.

no

this has to be a fucking joke, spawn is garbage

Spawn is the Duke Nukem of comics
There is some good stuff and recommended reading since Todd won't let it die and had let others write the character (that and the legal fiasco involving Angela) but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self.

>the legal fiasco involving Angela
Don't forget Miracleman/Marvelman.

Spawn is a ridiculous edgefest but I just can't help liking it.

The art is fucking awesome which helps a lot.

Probably the same reason Stephen King created Richard Bachman. To see if he could sell a story without the name

What draws ya to it orher then the art?

I can't fucking believe no one picked up the fact that two first names of Fresh Prince characters wasn't real. I cannot believe it.

Depends on what you mean by "for 1 issue". If you say that he didn't maintain a million then sure. But that's a dumb measure of whether something is or isn't a success relative to other comics.

Going by this chart, his final issue of Spider-Man was only outsold by Jim Lee's and Whilce Portacio's X-Men launch, the Robin II #1 launch with the hologram cover, and Rob Liefeld's X-Force launches. That's still a measure of success since his Spider-Man still outsold everything else.

He seems like a douche, but he's one of the best Spider-Man artists. I have the first 3 volumes of Spawn, which are fun colorful nonsense.

I read that in Keith David's voice.

Oops, forgot link. This is a tally of all the sales for books out in the year 1991, the final year of McFarlane's Spider-Man. He ended his run with #16.

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1991.html

>check out his youtube channel
>look at this cool figure, look at this cool drawing

It would be insufferable, but he has the zeal of a guy that never stopped being 13 who thinks monsters and blood and guts are just fucking awesome.

It's endearing in a weird way.

>Spawn represents everything right with comics and you should support it and Todd McFarlane.

I think I know what you're getting at, but elaborate

he's the worst nerd chad ever and he normalized nerd chad-ism

his iron grip over the 90s ruined my life

You deserved to have your life ruined for disrespecting the Toddfather.

>he has the zeal of a guy that never stopped being 13 who thinks monsters and blood and guts are just fucking awesome.

I hope I'm still like that at his age.

>his iron grip over the 90s ruined my life
I don't get it, how?

Didn’t it turn out that he was bluffing about the MM stuff?

Isn't Stan ripping more into Rob here?

HAHAH now i see why mcfarlane hate marvel

stan the man

Canadians prop up every American entertainment industry. Todd is good people.

Whatever you do, don't pay for it. It fucking sucks if you're over 15.

>Spawn's at his best when he's not writing him
So, pretty much never.

Also, that's video is the first time I've liked Stan Lee.

The people around you surely hope you're not.

lol look at his little hoof feet

That video is Stan being a douche as per usual

Sorry to say, but to all you young'ns , Todd is right, that IS what kids liked back then, we are in drastically different times NOW, yes, but that is what kids liked...they wanted darker, more extreme, and more "adult". We live in the era of My Little Pony and Gwenpool now, which is fine, but that was not the 90's.

He modernized Spidey's design in a way that I still hold to my personal standard of how he should look to this day, so, he definitely had an influence for me. Big eyes>>>>Small eyes for the mask.

I liked Spawn as a kid/young teen, but, what teen doesn't like blood and guts? It didn't really stick with me, other than I liked it and the action figures were bad ass. Before they were all (admittedly cool looking) statues.

He gave Boon the ok to add Spawn in Injustice 2 so he's cool

eventhubs.com/news/2015/feb/17/spawn-mortal-kombat-x-todd-mcfarlane-has-given-netherrealm-permission-use-his-character/

>Mfw Todd and Liefeld actually fought in court over this shitty character

yeah, darker extreme POGS, and 37 variant covers, and holofoil trading cards
packaged with each issue
and mullets for everyone!!
Sam Kieth and Rob Liefeld all over
god the mid 90s were stupid

He reminds me of Frank Miller in that you can't deny the important part he played in comics history but the longer he sticks around the more he just looks like a ridiculous caricature of himself.

Frank Miller is great, he's incapable of writing a boring comic.

He's also incapable of writing a good one. Or he has been, for many years.

>That video is Stan being a douche as per usual
Oh, I'm sure the reasons behind Stan Lee's criticisms were nothing but douchebaggery, but he was 100% right in every single thing he said.

>Sam Kieth and Rob Liefeld all over
How can you even put the two of them at the same level?
Same for you