A taoist system would work without a doubt

a taoist system would work without a doubt

Except Taoism was complimentary to Confucianism and Confucianism was all about following tradition and not being a degenerate.

It would, we just need the Emperor Trump.

>Taoist
>system

pick one

Pagans...

in what way was taoism complimentary to confuscianism

Confucianism can be summarised as the way of the family/society. Taoism is the way of nature. Together they promote an integrated life

Taoism would have no "system"
A system would destroy the concept of the Tao

What the hell are you talking about? Taoism has an extensive corpus of texts detailing how the family and society ought to function, and those texts are distinctly un-Confucian. Have you ever read about Taoism beyond a brief blurb in an introductory book?

That there are prescriptions regarding family and society in the Taoist texts does not discount my earlier comment but I would argue that the main focus in on the principle of nature, the Dao. Confucianism has very little to do with this principle of nature but rather focuses on the principles of man and how they are expressed in society.

Stop reminding me of the downfall of Sinfest.

The Daozang (Taoist canon) has huge numbers of books that describe the family and society as parts of nature and therefore integrate extensive instructions on how to maintain and govern those aspects of life. To claim that those aspects are seen as somehow separate from nature is to misunderstand Taoism entirely. As for your claim that Taoism and Confucianism are complementary: particularly prior to the Quanzhen school of Taoism, the Taoist writers were quite clear that Taoism was separate from -- and incompatible with -- Confucian ideas. The idea that Taoism and Confucianism are complementary comes not from Taoists themselves, but rather from the Chinese populace as a whole, who have generally tended toward syncretism. Yes, Taoism and Confucianism share certain ideals (e.g., filial piety), but those shared components are common to Chinese culture as a whole.

My ex is Taoist.

Pretty much no-moral tier, crazy in the sack, very down to earth and chill, didn't care if I slept around but would never do it herself.

Ugly, but 10/10 personality, would date again senpai

Fuck the Tau, blue cuntfaced smurfs.

>>Taoist
>>system
>pick one

He's got a point.

T. Taoist

wh40kek

The idea that there are no systems in Taoism is the height of ignorance. Taoism isn't just "it's all chill bruh do whatevs lets you go with the flow d00d". Taoism is loaded with systems: cosmological, political, familial, divinatory, magical, meditational, dietetic, etc.

i kek'd

>Taoism is loaded with systems

You mean the 81 pages of the Tao te Ching?

Or the endless comentary ON them?

If the Daodejing and its commentaries are all you know of Taoism, you really need to read some more. The Daodejing is only the smallest part of the tip of the iceberg. I'd recommend starting with the Zhuangzi, Liezi, Huangdi Sijing, Huiming Jing, and Cantong Qi.

Exactly.

I imagine a fully Taoist society would lead a primitive, sustainable/permaculture, easygoing way of life ala Masanobu Fukuoka (the One Straw Revolution author). It would be a minimalist utopia, which would be cool to live in but prime fodder for being conquered/oppressed.

But the Tao Te Ching was the original work on the Tao.

Everything else is derivative of that with buhddism and confusionism thrown in there.

The real fun part comes when you integrate the Tao Te Ching with The art of war.

Endless fun there, senpai.

>But the Tao Te Ching was the original work on the Tao.
Nope. It is predated by the neiyeh (which is available) and several other texts that are mentioned in early records but are now lost.

Oh, and the huahujing.

>It is predated by the neiyeh

Looks like the same thing, man.

And it's even shorter than the Tao Te Ching.

Remember when Sinfest was good?

(continued)
>The real fun part comes when you integrate the Tao Te Ching with The art of war.

>Endless fun there, senpai.

As an addendum to my statement, I will leave you with a passage from the Tao Te Ching that I am refrencing:

>"Nothing in the world is softer and weaker than water.
>Yet nothing is better at attacking the hard and strong.
>There is no substitute for it."

>Everything else is derivative of that with buhddism and confusionism thrown in there.
You have no idea what you are talking about. There were a great many developments following the Laozi that built on top of it but were not derivative of it. As for the Buddhist influence, it is greatly overstated by people who don't know much of Taoism. In point of fact, Taoism provided Buddhism with much more than Buddhism provided Taoism. The Maoshan tradition became Tibetan dzogchen threkchod and thodgal, the neigong tradition became the six dharmas of Naropa, and zuowang contributed tremendously to the development of Chan/Zen/Son Buddhism. The idea that Taoism took so much from Buddhism is a consequence of the aforementioned tendency toward syncretism among the Chinese populace, the ignorance of Westerners when it comes to Taoism, and the modern influence of the Quanzhen school.

The neiyeh is a proto-neigong text. It has very little in common with the Laozi.

>developments following the Laozi that built on top of it but were not derivative of it.

So, you don't know what derivative means, then?

Why are we even having this argument, dood?

> The idea that Taoism took so much from Buddhism is a consequence of the aforementioned tendency toward syncretism among the Chinese populace, the ignorance of Westerners when it comes to Taoism, and the modern influence of the Quanzhen school.

Didn't buhddism and Confusisous thought predate the Louzi?

I thought that Lou Tzu studdied confisionism and buhddism, and made Taoism as a sort of retort, before he left society in disgust?

"Derivative" can mean "built upon", but it is often used to mean "pretty much just this other thing but repackaged". I interpreted your post to mean the latter. If you meant the former, then sorry 'bout that.

>
Didn't buhddism and Confusisous thought predate the Louzi?
Yes, but early Daoism arose in a time when Confucianism was merely one of many schools of thought (Legalism perhaps the most important), and Confucianism not yet been enshrined as the basis of the state. Confucianism was still rather small compared to the important place it later received. As for the influence of Buddhism: early Taoist worldview and meditation are markedly different from the Buddhism of the period, so it is unlikely that Buddhism imparted much of an influence. As I mentioned earlier, the lines of transmission flow ostensibly from Taoism to Buddhism rather than vice-versa.

Also, Buddhism didn't find its way into China to any notable degree until the development of the Mahayana, which came after the early development of Taoism.

>I interpreted your post to mean the latter. If you meant the former, then sorry 'bout that.

No worries, I just kind of flow with it.

>Yes, but early Daoism arose in a time when Confucianism was merely one of many schools of thought (Legalism perhaps the most important)

Well, I was remarking on whether confusious/buhddist thought actually influanced Lao Tzu.

>As for the influence of Buddhism: early Taoist worldview and meditation are markedly different from the Buddhism of the period

Yes, Buhddism is a great deal more complex than Taoism iirc, with much more texts associated with it, 8fold path and all that jazz.

>so it is unlikely that Buddhism imparted much of an influence.

I was more talking about how Buhddism may have been studied by Lao Tzu, and influanced his writings.

IT seems to me that Taoism is a sort of condensed and heavily altered perspective of Buhddism and confusionist philosophy...

Then again, I haven't studied Conf/Buhd all that much, so ymmv.

>As I mentioned earlier, the lines of transmission flow ostensibly from Taoism to Buddhism rather than vice-versa.

You are saying that Taoism predates Buhdism?

That's interesting, are you talking about the neiyeh as the original inspirational source of Taoism?

lol, China sucks monkey cock ;3

>Fuck the Tau
I can get behind that

>Yes, Buhddism is a great deal more complex than Taoism iirc, with much more texts associated with it, 8fold path and all that jazz.
They are each about as complex as the other. In particular, the Taoist presentation of qi, yin and yang, and their evolution into the various collections of three, five, eight, and so on are extremely complicated. It's just that people in the West don't know much about Taoism, so they tend to simplify and essentialize it to the point of absurdity.

>I was more talking about how Buhddism may have been studied by Lao Tzu, and influanced his writings.
Doubtful, given that Buddhism was barely in China at all at the time of Laozi.

>You are saying that Taoism predates Buhdism?
I am saying that Buddhism predates Taoism, but that it is unlikely that early Taoism particularly influenced by Buddhism. Several centuries later, when Mahayana and proto-Vajrayana Buddhism entered China, the influence seems to have been from Taoism to Buddhism for the most part, with Buddhism picking up lots of internal alchemy and other meditative techniques from the Taoists.

>That's interesting, are you talking about the neiyeh as the original inspirational source of Taoism?
The neiyeh strikes me as a compilation of something that had already developed for a while from shamanistic practices. I doubt it was the first document to be written on the practices, but it is the earliest that I know of that has survived.