OMD killed off the idea of a more mature, more grounded Peter and spat on JMS's run

>OMD killed off the idea of a more mature, more grounded Peter and spat on JMS's run
>Slott has been writing Spider-Man for almost 7 years with no signs of stopping despite falling sales and it being a very, very mediocre book
>Bendis just rerevealed Pete's identity because of lazy editing
>Marvel in general seems devoid of any interesting storytelling or content

Sup Forums, can you give me some recommends for older Marvel runs I should read? What runs have you really liked or grown up reading? Are they putting out *anything* you're enjoying at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PX8MOSAkLsI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Spider-Man and Deadpool has been great, and so has Renew Your Vows

OMD killed the happiness that 13yo me felt every day a Spidey book came out. Nothing's been the same.

Thank god I still have decades of great material to re read and RYV. And I actually enjoy Ultimate and Miles.
But my Peter was ruined

Hey instead of that, can we make this a meta thread about this recurring post structure?

> inflammatory statement that everyone (or:no one) agrees with but OP wants to circlejerk (or:bait) more
> at least one thread already exists with the same premise so OP has to mix it up
> follows up with a vague general question that he doesn't actually want answered because this is a circlejerk shitpost thread

I'm real tired of this format Sup Forums can't we just be honest with ourselves

ALL BOARDS ARE ALLOWED ONE META THREAD whatever I don't see another one

As much as I love RYV, I have to saw that the climax to this first arc really went to hell, felt like the writer just rushed it along and turned in half hearted notes scribbled onto a napkin. I still enjoyed it, but that ending was a real let down. Here is hoping the next team can do something good with Teen Annie

Why they couldn't make a divorce after some years of marriage? Making a demon a big part of spiderman universe was retarded

Mystical Animal Totems we're okay, but you draw the line at demons?

You want pre OMD stuff??

- Lee/Ditko
-Lee/Romita Sr
-Conway/Andru
-Stern/Romita Jr
-DeFalco's run with the black suit era
-Spider-Man and Wolverine special
-Christopher Priest's War Gang arc is fun
-Kraven's Last Hunt

Basically, 80s Amazing Spider-Man, that was great Spidey stuff imo

-JMS' run on Amazing from early 2000s. Specially his time with Romita Jr. You can stop after Book of Ezekiel ends so you get to avoid Sins Past and OMD but Back in Black was hype

Outside Amazing Spider-Man:

Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man, 80s stuff is great street level stuff with black cat, cloak and dagger and more.

-Start with Bill Mantlo's run. Awesome stuff.
-Milgrom run
-Peter David's run
-JM DeMatteis run

-Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 by Fraction and Larroca. Awesome issue that got ruined thanks to OMD.

-Spider-Man: Blue for some lovely story that revisits Lee/Romita Sr era.

And also, is post OMD but Spider-Man and the X-Men is a good read.
Also Renew Your Vows.

And if you want a recent book that gets Peter Parker's voice right... conway's Spyral story is a fun read too.

Because it made him seem old and Quesada wanted the marriage undone entirely.

So a pact with the devil and a whole arc acting out of character shitting on the idea of responsibility is the best way

Maaaan, you're a god, thanks. I read the Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita Sr stuff as a kid, but then jumped to the start of JMS's run so I missed a heap of those runs in the middle. Will check out.

Maybe you're right man. Just wanted people to share stuff they liked and feel pretty frustrated about current Marvel, probably shoulda just asked in the other thread though.

Maybe Marvel wants to kill the book

If they wanted to do that they would have ended it during the X-School issues

A divorce ages people even harder than a marriage.

Well, if he could get away with it he might have just made the whole marriage a lucid sequence of dreams Peter was having while everything else was going on.
Or if he could get it done even cheaper just literally permaban Mary Jane or mention of Mary Jane from any and all comics without justification.
But the reason he went with "Deal with Mephisto" was obviously because he needed something that would place a compulsion on all future writers and the company in general to kowtow to his goal.

Has Spider-Man ever even been good post-OMD?

New Ways to Die, Matters of Life and Death, Kelly's work on Spider-Man/Deadpool, Spider-Man and the X-Men

I'd also argue that Big Time, Gauntlet, Grim Hunt and Spider Island were also very enjoyable, hell even ends of the earth wasn't that bad, and there was also Avenging Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man team ups

Spider-man and the X-men was pretty good
Scarlet Spider was great
That's all I can remember right now, but I fell off Slott's mild ride hard during the... I dunno, Peter as Tony Stark fights the zodiac killers?
It was really early after Superior

The start of Slott's run was recommended on Sup Forums and was enjoyed through Ends of the Earth. I never read it but I know a lot of people liked it.

That art is god damn terrible...

Superior (Superior Team-Ups were much better written though) and Slott's ASM runs up to Spiderverse are pretty enjoyable and used to be liked on Sup Forums prior to the Marvel hate boner.

Oh and both RYV runs of course, don't have too much hope for the next one tho

nope fuck off you big crying baby

I hate comics

Miles has been better and that's sad

Under Zeb Wells and Kelly. That one Stern arc was good. Fever was good too.
>are pretty enjoyable
No. Slott's garbage was always mind-numbingly boring.
>liked
All it proves is that Sup Forums had even shittier taste

RYV is nice but I think only the first arc of SpideyPool was good

I hate OMD as much as the next guy, but I'll never understand people who wanted Aunt May to die so Peter would "move on".

I liked New Ways to Die, Spider Island and a few random stories in BND, mostly written by classic Spidey writers. There was a 2-parter featuring Liz that was cool.
Also, there was a storyline after a timeskip that got way too many laughs from me, but I don't recall the name and if I said more I'd spoil it.

I reread a lot of post-OMD stuff and I think the only ASM writers that didn't make me cringe were Stern and Conway. The rest of it had their moments but didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. Shed and Grim Hunt are the most overrated of BND (though they look better compared to a lot of Slott stuff). Seriously, I remembered a lot of people praising BND and saying it was like classic Spider-Man, which I can't really agree with.

I think the idea is that Aunt May is extremely old and part of someone growing up and entering different phases of life is learning and accepting that you are going to wind up losing your loved ones as you go along. Your best hope really is that you go before your kids in that regard.

>Seriously, I remembered a lot of people praising BND and saying it was like classic Spider-Man, which I can't really agree with.
Likely talking about Stern and Conway, precisely.

>Shed and Grim Hunt
>overrated
Probably divisive, actually. I hated both and Gauntlet, and I've seen a few agree on that here.

Feels pointless, though. Pete's probably one of the last few heroes with a secret identity and supporting cast, and that would be throwing away opportunities for good, fun stories.

Hell I miss Cap, for instance, having a secret identity with a supporting cast.

>Seriously, I remembered a lot of people praising BND and saying it was like classic Spider-Man, which I can't really agree with.
Likely talking about Stern and Conway, precisely.

Yeah but Conway didn't write for BND; I listed him because he wrote on ASM again after OMD (I think he wrote some side issues of ASM a year or two ago). Stern did write a few issues for BND, which I think was the Juggernaut 2-parter and I can't remember if he wrote anything else. But a lot of the praise claiming BND was classic Spider-Man was generalized or they were talking about Waid's or something. I liked stuff that Waid wrote but didn't really like his Spider-Man much, except maybe for the JJJ Sr arc.

>Probably divisive, actually. I hated both and Gauntlet, and I've seen a few agree on that here.

I saw a lot of praise for Shed and Grim Hunt on here and on other boards.

It's not that the overall quality of Scott's stuff has always been bad, it has recently become bad and stale and more and more of his personal neuroses have become obvious the more it goes on.

Also He's a cunt and I wish a huge chunk of hail would crush him.

She should never have been brought back to life. She aged in fucking reverse. Ditko's Aunt May looked fucking 90 instead of something reasonable like 50

Oh yeah 100%, the newest ASM issue was hard to get through. And even when I liked his writing I know he was a massive cunt. I know the Marvel hate boner isn't the only reason people hate the guy (hell I do too) but it's the main reason some users here refuse to acknowledge he's ever written anything good in his life

There's always been a love/hate relationship with Slott that only really became pronounced with Dying Wish up until the end of Superior. I'd say it became predominantly hate at the end of Superior and on through to his new ASM run, where on top of the writing just becoming utterly mediocre, Slott made a long string of incredibly dubious creative decisions

>MJ cutting herself out of Peter Parker's life altogether because Slott doesn't like her. Whenever she appears again, she's a passive aggressive bitch
>Black Cat goes crazy and becomes a villain because Slott doesn't like her
>The weird, forced Silk romance with the pheromone rape shit
>Spider-Verse, which just devolved to "Slott killing of fan favorite AU characters to spite people"
>Parker Industries, neat idea in concept, but all it really wound up being was Peter Parker being a whiny Tony Stark
>Peter actively becoming more and more of a manchild who can't even tie his own shoes without crying about Parker luck
>Clone Conspiracy was a fucking tire fire, nothing more to be said
>He's now dating Mockingbird, who's only recent claim to fame was the revelation that she cheated on Hawkeye with a supervillain, then murdered the supervillain to cover it up and said he raped her.

For a guy who's apparently the biggest Spider-Man autist on the planet, he seems to have an intense hatred for Peter-Parker and his entire supporting cast. Really, he should be taken off ASM and given his own ongoing starring Clone Doc Ock, because he's pretty much the only character Slott's actually been interested in for awhile.

>Renew Your Vows
Jody Houser will probably ruin it
>Spidey & Deadpool
It has dipped in quality

Well it was fun while it lasted

>Spat on JMS' run

His run sucked, and this board overrated it. It shat on a lot better runs than that, like Dematteis' stories pre-Clone Saga.

The beginning of Slott's run was trash, though. It kept pussying around whether or not it wanted to establish itself as a borderline new continuity, or shove in a million unnecessary reference points from older comics.

I would add Marvel Knights: Spiderman to
Also I forget which run it was part of, But the A Death in the Family arc was an interesting look at Green Goblin. The art isnt great but the story was worth it.

Goblin Nation is when I started hating him too. Only thing he's written that I've liked since then is his RYV run (although Spider-Verse is a guilty pleasure of mine). I'd be more than happy if he wrote a clone SpOck ongoing though, hell I'd probably even buy it.

Because both times she was dying she made it a point to tell Peter to let her go and she had made peace with death. They were great character moments, especially since she had become a much stronger character again under JMS finding out about Spiderman. She would not be happy with Peter's and MJ's decision in OMD.

Also the One Above All scene really drives the point home, making OMD sound even worse.

Totems didn't make years of marriage magically disappear

Wansn't original Mysterio locked in Ultimate-Verse and destroyed with it?

Kelly's and Wells' stuff was good. Waid's Origin of the Species is pretty nice. Hell, even Slott's run was okay at the start. The guy really should have quit while he was ahead.

spider man deadpool went to shit last issue with not one, not two but THREE strawman conservative republican schmucks spouting the most everything liberals think conservatives actually believe. Shit was unreadable.

>>Parker Industries
The problem with this was that it was never meant to succeed and you could tell. Slott wasn't interested in writing Peter as an actual capable CEO. He was only interested in writing the downfall of Peter's company. It's a shame. Under other writers, it could have been a fun ride.

a taste

Who will be the next writer to clean up Slott's diarrhea?

It just reinforces the fact that Slott works better as an idea guy and not a writer. He can come up with interesting dilemmas and status quo changes, but he executes them like an amateur.

this was written someone who has no idea how humans act and talk. its like they never interacted with anyone outside of twitter and facebook

Personally, I would like Brubaker or Fraction on the character but they are too smart and wont go back to Marvel

Fuck, I can't read a Spider-Man comic book without hearing tom holland any more.

It's been 10. Years. How are you all still upset about this?

not op but I will never not be upset about this

It'll always be Josh Keaton for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=PX8MOSAkLsI

LIVING ON THE EDGE FIGHTING CRIME SPINNING WEBS!

Spectacular Spider-man was the best cartoon and Josh Keaton is the best voice actor for Peter.

The anger is a part of me now.

Because I read Spider-man for 13 before it.

>deadpool

I'll be upset about it for the rest of my life.

True, cant believe I forgot about Marvel Knights. Another good read

>Are they putting out *anything* you're enjoying at the moment?
reprinted older stories

He's best Spidey.

Poor Tyke.

That's unfortunate. Maybe it's because I've only watched Civil War once and haven't watched Homecoming at all, but I don't have this problem.

Right now, I hear Josh Keaton for Peter, Chris Barnes for Kaine, and Rino Romano for Ben.

I always hear the marvel vs capcom spider-manĀ“s voice

OMD killed spiderman, thats all, the idea is ruined, its not about a marriage ,a hero licking devil,s arse for fuck sake.

Shutup Quesada!

Shed was fucking awesome