Green Lantern Earth One

There's some more information about green lantern earth one, along with some preview pages.

>Green Lantern: Earth One reinvents Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern in a modern world where there’s no such thing as Batman, Wonder Woman, or Superman and alien life hasn’t been discovered yet. Jordan seeks the thrill of adventuring through space but is stuck in a dull job mining asteroids for a private contractor, Ferris Galactic. That is, until he finds a powerful green relic from the long-extinct Green Lantern Corps and he’s confronted by the very villains that destroyed them, the Manhunters.
>DC Comics’ Earth One graphic novels re-imagine individual heroes (or teams like Teen Titans) to tell standalone stories unconnected to the greater DC Universe or even other Earth One stories. That was the appeal for co-writers Gabriel Hardman and Corinna Bechko (Star Wars: Legacy, Invisible Republic) , who saw this as an opportunity to cut to the core of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern mythos. Talking to us at New York Comic Con, the pair spoke about how they’re taking a gritty sci-fi approach akin to Alien.
>“[In Alien,] Ripley and Harry Dean Stanton and Yaphet Kotto are essentially space truckers, and they have a practical world that they live in, and it just has different circumstances than what we’re used to. That’s something that we’ve gone back to a lot in defining the tone of [Green Lantern: Earth One]. Because, there’s many suggestions in that movie, the first Alien particularly, that there are arcane, crazy things that have happened in the past, and whatever, these xenomorphs are, and the Space Jockey and all that, ignoring the Prometheus of it all, and all that stuff. And, showing, giving you a little bit of a peek into a much wider world, defined the way that we approached it,” Hardman said.

>Bechko also added on, “A more upbeat example might be [Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home], with the giant probe that comes to Earth, and they don’t know what it is. I don’t think it’s giving too much away to say that, in the beginning of our book, we’re dealing with an Earth that does not even know if there are aliens. They don’t know if there’s other life in the universe. So we’re starting from a very basic place, that’s not a whole lot different from where we are. We assume there’s other stuff, but there’s no proof. And then to be thrown into a suddenly teeming universe is a harsh surprise.”
>Fans know the Green Lantern Corps employs a vast number of alien species from all 3600 sectors of the universe, and to join their ranks is like enlisting in the army, complete with drill instructor Killowog to train up the newbies. Forget all of that, because this story focuses squarely on Jordan as he first learns about the larger universe and tries to figure out what his newly discovered green ring is all about.
>“There’s a lot to be said for setting your story in a place where things are not settled. And where progress needs to be made. So, if you think about most of the big, epic stories - Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones or anything else - if those started in a place of comfort, there’s no place to go. So, I think that a lot of it is about giving the characters room to achieve something, too, because if you’re starting from the basics, we want to be able to grow the universe along with the characters,” Bechko said.

>The ring is getting a revamp, too. It no longer zips about space, honing in on those deemed fearless enough to serve in the Corps. The ring is simply a tool that anyone can use, if they know how. They’re still capable of creating constructs out of energy, but there’s no restriction on who can wield one, so whether it’s used for good or as a destructive weapon depends entirely on who’s wearing it.
>“It’s a lot about the personal responsibility,” Hardman explained. “It’s not that the people given these rings are just intrinsically perfect people, and they go off and they do the right thing. It’s what humans actually have to face. You have to make a decision to be a decent person. It’s about making a decision to be a decent person, and making a decision to be a hero.”

>The Green Lantern battery, the power source that charges up the ring, is also getting revamped, but the pair were mum on just what the changes would be, explaining that learning how everything works would be a part of Jordan’s journey throughout the story.
>“Hal Jordan is being thrown out into the middle of it, he’s in a completely foreign world. Nothing is spelled out for him. He doesn’t necessarily have help all the time. It’s a lot about the perils of being out in space, and not the comfort of having this big structure that’s still in place,” Hardman said.

>The Green Lantern franchise is home to not only Jordan but several other characters who have held the mantle of Earth’s Green Lantern protector -- John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Simon Baz, and Jessica Cruz -- and a heap of aliens, from Corps administrator Salaak to the squirrel-like Ch’p. Hardman and Bechko did say they will be including some familiar faces, but they’ll be giving them new spins while trying to stay true to the core of each character.
>Green Lantern: Earth One, Vol. 1, co-written by Hardman and Bechko with art by Jordan Boyd, releases on March 20, 2018.

I'm excited for this. Reddit is going nuts over it not sharing continuity with other Earth One books. So continuity does seem to matter for casuals.

I haven't read any of the Earth One books, is it worth it?

>a modern world where there’s no such thing as Batman, Wonder Woman, or Superman

Surely that should be followed by a 'yet'? Earth One is a setting, isn't it?

>So continuity does seem to matter for casuals.
gee, you just figured that out?

Yeah, this actually pisses me off too, honestly. I was enjoying them building a new continuity/Elseword. Fuck it. I'll read it online.

All of them seem to be just okay, nothing mind blowing.

It's just a follow up to all star line where all star creators were allowed to write with complete creativity, with the earth one being just a gimmick. I wish they selected actual all star creators and not JMS, Johns and Manapul. Manapul seems like the worst one since he can't even write.

I really like the new suit but I have to admit knowing that the Earth One books aren't in the same universe is a little disappointing. That being said I'm still very much looking forward to this.

I genuinely would like to see a elseworlds green lantern book from JMS. He had a bunch of stuff he was putting together for a Lensman movie that never got off the ground.

None of the Earth One books share continuity anyway, I can't understand why it's so terrible that this one doesn't either

I'm excited for it, it sounds great and the art looks good and since it's already done there's no terrible delays

>It's just a follow up to all star line where all star creators were allowed to write with complete creativity, with the earth one being just a gimmick.

Well fuck nuggets. They should have called it something else. The entire line just became significantly less interesting. I mean I'm still looking forwards to, someday, getting Batman vol3, but I also sort of wanted to see an Earth One take on the Justice League after the OT had been introduced. See Earth One Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman interact.

Morrison saying they're on the same Earth didn't actually mean they all are

From this thread, and apparently elsewhere though I haven't look (just taking anons word for it). a lot of us didn't realize that. I certainly didn't. It's not a good revelation.

Yeah it's kinda deceiving for it to be an Earth-1 imprint when it really is just Elseworld but whatever, could still happen in the future.

There are nearly 10 books in the Earth One line and it's several years old, this is not new information at all.

I wanted these books to have an expanded continuity much like the main line of books. If the books good then oh well, but there's no reason it can't exist on the same earth, especially where Earth-1 is the earth those books are meant to take place on

But there was no verification that they weren't gonna interact, I think this is the first time them saying they won't be interacting with the other Earth-1 heroes. Also 10 books? Theres 2 vol of TT, Batman and Superman and 1 vol for WW for the Earth one, that's like 7 brah.

In 7 years there have only tapped 4 properties and released 8 books. And none of them have interacted with each other so far. You are what's wrong with the comic book industry.

>7 years
>8 books
>You are what's wrong with the comic book industry.

Bro, sorry for not taking the offense obviously intended, but it sounds more like the people behind the imprint are whats wrong with the industry.

I mean how long does it take to shit out a third volume of Batman?

3 Superman, 2 Batman, 1 Wondy, 2 TT makes 8, with GL coming soon and WW vol 2 is being worked on, 10 was a perfectly fine number to round up to

They've said all along that these books are standalone and if you read them there's nothing to indicate they take place on the same planet nor does it make much sense if they do

Plus GL is in fucking space, it wouldn't have anything to do with the other books even if they did say they're in continuity

That was my other point, DC clearly doesn't give a shit about the Earth One line. When was Aquaman announced? At least with other titles like Wonder Woman you can understand that the artist is just slow, but with Aquaman they get giving Manapul projects to delay his work on it.

Great job, thanks, you've cleared that little mystery up that was already cleared up earlier. Go you. Doesn't make those of us who didn't realize it feel any better about it though.

This is what makes me like Earth One. No longer will I think, "damn, if only Green Lantern/Superman/etc. were here to save whoever."

Wasn't Aquaman finally announced to be released next year? Same with Batman vol 3? Heard Gary Frank and Johns is on board again.

>Plus GL is in fucking space, it wouldn't have anything to do with the other books even if they did say they're in continuity>>
My only issue with this is it kinda gets rid of Justice League: Earth One.

>Same with Batman vol 3? Heard Gary Frank and Johns is on board again.
I actually heard it's almost finished, but Doomsday took over.

I think my issue is calling it Earth : One when it's just an elseworld but whatever, its inconsequential. Yeah I do think Doomsday clock moved Batman Vol 3 a bit back but idk. What are you guys hoping for Vol 3? I'm hoping for the Ra's desu, would be cool.

>What are you guys hoping for Vol 3? I'm hoping for the Ra's desu, would be cool.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's Catwoman and Joker.

Was it announced? Shit I'm pretty out of the loop. I guess Catwoman was given since she was teased in Vol2. Idk I would like to see a "realistic" take of the League of Assassins

Why give them all the same earth designation then? It's not Earth One, it's a series of exceptionally boring 3lseworlds now.

>next yea
highly improbable.

Why would shared continuity make them less boring?

Sounds like they'd still be a series of exceptionally boring 3lseworlds but the idea of them having an EPIC CROSSOVER excited you very much and you were eager to see how NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME. Don't worry, you might still get it, plans change and they were never going to do Justice League Earth One for at least the next 5 years.

earth one batman is top notch, superman is alright, and i haven't read wonder woman, probably meh

>Hal Jordan
>Not Alan Scott

Just give him back already for fuck's sake. You assholes showed off Jay Garrak forever ago and I want my damn JSA Rebirth.

I just want more JMS Earth One Superman.

Both this and Supreme Power are really good versions of a Superman-like character.

Sup Forums is plebbit. Just look at this thread.

Alan isn't meant for space user.

This isn't a rebirth book user

But yeah JSA fucking when DC

>But there was no verification that they weren't gonna interact, I think this is the first time them saying they won't be interacting with the other Earth-1 heroes.

Actually originally Teen Titans Earth One was the premise of "no mentor heroes exist" ie no Batman so no Robin. Wally was Impulse instead of Kid Flash. Wonder Girl is the only outlier and who knows why since I think they flip flopped on it a couple times.
Multiversity having the earth 1 page really seemed to give DC a pause and put a misconception in readers' heads.

>Wasn't Aquaman finally announced to be released next year?
No
But Manapul has posted a couple Aquaman pics to his Instagram in the past couple months and he finally said he's officially leaving Trinity to work on something

Because they're all 'Ultimate' DC

feels like the beginning of a wave of books designed solely to become standalone films

Superman Earth One is exactly this and it was one of the books that inspired Man of Steel, so yes

Did not like TT Earth one, was pretty boring.

Earth 1 is a collection of ultimate style Earth's not existing in the same timeline.

Eventually it's suggested they could merge later. It's canon is in flux until all are introduced. I expect a jla book to onoy reference canon that matters.

I hope it's as shit as Johns Batman. That'll teach him!

Earth-one Batman is pretty gud dude

MOM COME LOOK I INSULTED Sup Forums

True

Flash earth 1

this they are okay, they are not bad but not great either.
Superman=Batman>Wonder Woman>Teen Titans

I liked Superman, people didn't like it since Clark was banging a hooker instead of Lois tho. FemLex is qt tho.

ManLex was a fucking retard though.

Eh, he was okay. It was kind of refreshing to see "Lex" as a guy who trusted Supes, bit him in the ass tho

>trusted Supes

>keeps going back and forth between trusting him, not trusting him, trusting him, not trusting him, depending on the page

Hopefully never comes to fruition as announced.
JMS needs to fuck off from comics

It's called Earth One because there's ONE hero/team per series.

No, it isn't. It's just awfully written grimdark stupid shit. That whole birthday boy thing seemed like taken out of early Spawn.

Earth One Batman is like Batman done by 90s Image guys, if they were better artists.
Earth One Superman is like a better done version of Man of Steel Superman. Still bland and shitty, but not as aggresively awful as the film.

I kinda liked it since Birthday Boy seemed like an actual serial killer since Earth-1 Batman was going for this more realistic and gritty approach, I can see why you didn't like it so whatever.

>seemed like an actual serial killer
Do you even know what actual serial killers are like?
That comic was as realistic and gritty as the average first wave Image comic was.

>Do you even know what actual serial killers are like?
No because I live in a comfy neighborhood but didn't Ted Bundy fuck the dead bodies he killed and John Gacy ate people or some shit?

>Do you even know what actual serial killers are like?
It's not THAT outrageous when you've got people like the Happy Face Killer or Pogo the Clown. A little silly sure, but still within the realm of possibility.

>Hardman & Bechko
DC, always so based.

Actually, I was fine with him dating the slutty neighbor. I hated Volume 1 though, the plot was batshit retarded what with him using his powers at high profile job interviews with no glasses and the villain looking like something Tim Burton would leave on the kleenex after jerking off.

No, Gacy didn't eat people, and he didn't dress like a clown to kill people either. A few times he did charity work where he dressed like a clown for kids, and the media turned it into "the killer clown" but the people he killed, he contacted them through his contracting job.
Serial killers certainly don't have a "theme" and aren't used as hitmen for the fucking mob. That's not how they work.
That's something somebody with the grasp on human psyche of Todd McFarlane would write.
And guess what, he did. Billy Kinckaid in the Spawn comics is exactly the same as the birthday guy in Batman: Earth One. So, good job at ripping off a fucking Spawn comic from 20 years before, Johns. You're a real value for the comic book industry.

Everything is a rip off of something.

At least rip off something good then.

I'm not gonna argue with you since you clearly don't like it and anything I say won't change your mind but I liked the whole Killer clown thing, obviously fiction is different from real life so a psychopath acting as an "enforcer" of the mob while unrealistic is still under the norms of comics.

>Serial killers certainly don't have a "theme"

Isn't that the whole point of being a serial killer though? Doing something that connects you to multiple murders? Not trying to be cheeky, genuinely curious.

>obviously fiction is different from real life so a psychopath acting as an "enforcer" of the mob while unrealistic is still under the norms of comics
I was replying to that guy who said the whole birthday boy was realistic and gritty. It was his argument, not mine. My argument is that Batman Earth One is just grimdark crap out of the 90s with better art.

No, it's simlpy commiting multiple murders. Of course, a serial killer is likely to have a modus operandi, just like everyone else does have a way to do things, but they're not themed like "Birthday Boy". They tend to be shit like the method of picking victims, murdering them or dispose of the bodies (or all three of them). 99% of them aren't colorful at all but actually very banal and boring people, which is why they manage to kill a bunch before they're caught. They're usually completely unremarkable until it's found out that they killed people.

And just to be clear, I was only bringing this up because that other guy made the argument for it being realistic. I don't care about comics being unrealistic or colorful, I care about them being lazy and shallow, like that Batman comic.

Most Cape comics are shallow by definition dude.

You're missing his point.

I get his point, I just wanted to say cape comics are pretty shallow .

It doesn't mean we shouldn't be asking for something better. Specially when there has been so many.

>DC Comics’ Earth One graphic novels re-imagine individual heroes (or teams like Teen Titans) to tell standalone stories unconnected to the greater DC Universe or even other Earth One stories.
>or even other Earth One stories
Not sure how I feel about that. But if it helps writers tell more concise, self contained stories then I guess I support it.

It sounds good on paper. The problem is that everything has been pretty mediocre so far, even Morrison's WW.

Everything being interconnected to why cape comics fail to appeal to the masses