Warren Ellis

Why is he so perfect?

Other than Transmetropolitan, has he made any good comics?

Dude, he’s done a lot of good work. The current Wild Storm ongoing is fantastic.

He understands our struggle

I absolutely loved agents of HATE.
And I thought the first half of planetary was amazing, but the quality went down with the second half (but that's a fairly controversial opinion. Most I've seen here likes all of it)

And he's written other acclaimed stuff, but nothing I've read.

Planetary and his stuff on The Authority are god tier. Global Frequency is really good too.

I think Planetary sustains its momentum right up until the last 2-3 issues, where you realise Evil Reed and Sue arent going to do anything, and the last issue is spent on saving a character we haven't had enough time with to care about.

Yeah, I felt everything regarding the fantastic four fell completely flat.
And all the emotions surrounding the ending just felt awkward.

Is his doom 2099 any good?

Nextwave

Even his Karnak is good. Moon Knight is great. Everything already mentioned in the thread. I'm currently enjoying his Shipwrecked.

I love his work, but he likes writing the same "Drunk, pessimistic asshole who secretly has a heart of gold for the common man" main character far too often.

That’s why it’s shocking his Hellblazer run was so average.

he generally doesn't stick around long enough to fuck up

I know. His writing should have fit John like a glove, but it was just so passionless.

Transmet went really downhill for the second half or so. Stopped having any relation to actual politics and just became a self-insert paranoid fantasy (much like Hunter Thompson).

Nextwave, Stormwatch/Authority, 1st half or so of Planetary, his ridiculously underrated 6-issue Secret Avengers run and Moon Knight are all pretty god-tier. Injection's decent as well.

Warren Ellis was a bloody God in the year 2000.

The Authority, Transmetropolitan and Planetary. The holy trinity.

But times change and I don't think he's ever peaked those books.

So true. Authority just melted my teenage mind when it was coming out.

Go away, Warren.

Warren Ellis (specifically The Authority) has had more impact on the look of modern super hero comics and films in the last 20 years than almost anyone except perhaps BMB and Mark Millar.

You can see stylistic echoes of The Authority in just about all Marvel Comics Events 2004-present.

You may not like it, but in comics this is what peak performance looks like.

Ellis? Ellis the writer? Warren Ellis? The writer? You're talking about Ellis?

>more impact on the look of modern super hero comics and films in the last 20 years
in the sense that they're unsuitable for kids to read any more and proud of an edgelord AD2000 heritage, sure

He is not.