Iron Man has mostly unimpressive foes, ITT we come up with ideas for Iron Man villains for him to actually fight

Iron Man has mostly unimpressive foes, ITT we come up with ideas for Iron Man villains for him to actually fight

My idea is that he has a group of foes who are brutal and tribal, they come from another world and though they possess some advanced technology which they use to travel through space or for enhancing their own physical ability, they prefer not to use it for any sense of progress because they are basically barbarians, and unless needed for something like strong weapons and view the way Stark views technology and embracing of peace as a weakness, being naturally super powerful beings who's mind is set only on conquest and battle, they prefer to use swords and maces and clubs and their own strength rather than sophisticated weapons, which is easy for them to do as they are quite formidable

Basically I imagine them pretty much trolling Iron Man and kicking the shit out of him but he'd have to figure out a way to beat them

So, like.... Thor with a bit of Lobo in them?

How about turning Pepper into a gold-digging, manipulative bitch that run a hush/hurt-ian scheme of sneaking tech to his enemies, over-boozing/partying him to weaken him, steal funds and so on?

I bring back doom and and the old villians and upgrade them with tech.

I bring back the heart problem.

Happy sweet back as a cowardly comedy guy.

I retcon his birth to be from technological means created by Howard Stark.

>Happy sweet back as a cowardly comedy guy.
What?

I'm rebooting it. Trust me we need more dopey supporting cast like real people.

By turning Happy into a pussy?

Yes to contrast Tony.

>I retcon his birth to be from technological means created by Howard Stark.

ok you lost me on the last one, thats just fucking retarded.

Nah. It will explain why he super smart. Plus get rid of the retcon where some random old hag is his mum.

Ironman should be wish fulfillment the comic not deconstruction comics which took all his villians and cast away.

What Iron Man needs is a writer that'll modernize his old villains.

Lets see some modern takes on Titanium Man, The Living Laser, Unicorn, or Whirlwind.

Bring back stane. New Firebrand and living Lazor.

This. Iron Man's villains look good on paper. It's just hard to make any villain a true threat against a billionaire with a genius-level intellect, an wide selection of power armors, and the Avengers on speed dial.

All you have to do is write them as strong or kill civies.

Coming up with new Iron Man villains is like coming up with new Cyborg villains; 9/10 of them are going to be tech based, boring assholes who get defeated via bullshit gadgetry/hacking

Iron Maiden. A former employee for Stark Industries, she left after being scarred by an attack, with her blaming Stark for her injury. Using a modified suit she stole, the suit allows her to control every single element there is.

Iron Man vs. Apokolips?

Then make them aliens or like Flash villians. Goons with gimmicks.

Actually...sorta, hadn't thought of that.

Here is a quick MS paint drawing did of my basic concept

Having tech based villains would be fine. Just have Tony in a feud with Roxxon and A.I.M.

Roxxon has Deathloks, all they need is higher tier weaponry

>It will explain why he super smart.

Outside of just being super smart? I didn't think that one needed explanation.

Bring this guy back.

Alright fine. Rust, a retired factory worker who gained metahuman abilities which allow him to create an unknown, corrosive substance that eats away at all known metals

Maybe make them directly opposed to him instead of in the same fold?

Have him fight around or against supernatural opponents that would normally defy science and shit, but Iron Man pulls through with it.

Sort of like Ghostbusters I guess, where technology and science overcome superstition and the like.

I miss Crimson Dynamo.

How about the return of his armor that was madly in love with him?

I think part of the issue is that a lot of compelling villains affect the hero's personal life or some part of their psyche/ideology, but Tony is his own worst enemy in that front.

He had that, with The Mandarin

>Batowl
this is sad

Nice. That would require Tony using his mind more in some cases to get over the problems Rust creates.

Bendis had the TechnoGolem which was an Inhuman that can control machines. She also had biohack ninjas, the shit was dope.
>>then he had Riri beat her effortlessly...

Nevermind man.

It's multiple people. Like how many came in your mom to create you.

Maybe what Tony needs is a series of villains that represent parts of himself that he hates? Competing businessmen/women that take a negative aspect of himself and ramp it up to 11 in their pursuit to steal his company's tech secrets. That way they can metaphorically represent his own self-destructive tendencies.

We already have Crimson Dynamo, why not have a full on nazi villain who doesn't work with HYDRA because he sees them as not doing things the correct way, thus making him what could be an evil version of Civil War's plots?

Magic or supernatural based villains would be dope too. I'd read Tony vs Mephisto, Tony vs Dormammu

Let's steal villians then.

I'm a sucker for techno vs. magic as long as they make the technology logical and not just magic with a different name.

Iron Man's best villain is himself. We just need creative ways in which one of his ideas gets out of hand and bites his ass.

He's Marvel's Jimmy Neutron.

Most of Tony's iconic villains are rent-a-thugs in suits; what he needs is a true nemesis, someone who doesn't just threaten him in the suit but threatens his ideals or his status quo. Mandarin has done this from time to time but he's never been able to firmly establish himself in the modern era. Norman did a great job of this during Dark Reign. Doom is a contender from time to time.

Really what he needs is a Luthor.

Ghost is literally a better character than Tony himself.

joke's on you that means I'm as strong as TWENTY MEN

This. Or just make up a rival for him isntead of a villain.

Yes.

You could also send Tony into space (which is my idea for Riri).

Tony was Guardian for awhile but he could easily go looking for alien tech to augment his suits, similar to the Asgardian armors during Fear Itself.

that's literally what the Mandarin is

Bring back his abusive ex-boyfriend and have him try to change Stark.

We also need more
>Wonder Woman villains who aren't gods
>Cyborg villains
>Aquaman villains
>Manhunter villains
>Black Panther villains
>Moon Knight villains
>Venom villains

What about the worst thing for him: an enabler. Someone who makes him fall off the wagon. Some potential for a fucked up love interest there, too.

Magneto. Brood. Maestreos.

Bizarro Ironman lol. Or techno organic flesh colored villian.

Kieron Gillen introduced the Rings as sentient beings. I loved that idea (though it was swiped from the Green Lantern mythos)

They really should just continue with that. The Mandarin's rings are searching out hosts to kill Iron Man or ruin his life or whatever

It would help if they just reset what the fuck is going on in Tony's life. Jesus fuck everything's been a convoluted mess with people trying to add more and more to his mythos the past twenty years.

sonia aww yeah babyy

told you

Make the rings actual suits

Didn't they fuck it up by having the rings all be some alien tech instead of spooky mystic shit?

Hmm, I had in mind someone who wasn't doing it on purpose to sabotage him, like they don't see anything wrong with that kind of lifestyle and encourage it with their twisted morality.

Nah, nah, make her wicked and methodical, I thought of the finale too. We need a villain to defeat.

so Madame Masque?

It's the same gimmick as the Melter only less powerful.

Yep. If you stay in these threads long enough you'll realize that 90% of the ideas they come up with have already been done but since they've never read a comic about the character they're trying to improve they think it's a completely novel idea.

The vast majority of WW villains aren't gods, there have been some good attempts at giving Cyborg some villains in the past few years, Aquaman got a small roster of solid villains, and MM has a shitton of guys from the Ostrander run that could easily be brought back recurring. Agree with you about the others though.

Swarmy the Nano-Swarm. A genius inventor created a swarm of nanobots that were designed to be everywhere at once in order to solve the world's problems. In order to interact with the world it can combine into a humanoid shape and project a hologram that looks like it's inventor. It immediately goes rogue and abandons its intentions and just sort of starts dicking around. Basically the robotic version of Aku mixed with MCU Ultron

The virus.

After the aftermath between superior iron-man. The superior tony stark virus created a new life. His name is the virus, his main goal is corrupt and ruins everything.

North Korean Iron Men. Have his computers hacked and the North Koreans steal a number of his designs. He goes there to fight the gooks only to discover they already built a bunch of bootleg armors and have already exported them around the world.

Stane.

They should do a Mini with tony that involves him exploring some old haunted fucked up horror setting for some reason (figuring out the reason is what my stoned brain can't come up with), maybe to recover some relic or data or something... and just have him get worked over by the supernatural and barely escape.

and I'm talking Tony in Armor.

I liked to see Tony face off against something like Union from Evil Within 2. Aka, if Matrix was a horror film.

I just want to see more mindfuck technohorror stuff like the epilogue to Armor Wars. Man that issue really elevated Armor Wars to a "classic" tier.

>I just want to see more mindfuck technohorror stuff
Not Sup Forums related but the game SOMA has this and the philosophy of what it means to be human

and it turns out it's all mysterio ooooo spooky

Make Doc Ock his new villain. Now that Parker is a broke ass loser again, Doc Ock should be looking for other businesses to steal/take over.

Bumping for interest.

I love Moon Knight, but his villains for the most part are dogshit.
I kinda like Stained Glass Scarlet, but that's probably my waifufaggotry than anything.

Unironically this. Tony downirght HATES magic. Maybe because he doesn't understand it, maybe because it scares him. My guess is, it's the latter. If he put his mind to it, he'd crack at least some basic functions. But he's terrified of the demons and the spoopy occult shit, that he stays away from all that. So have him actually come face to face with something like that. Maybe find himself in a Silent Hill sort of town. Maybe have him be trapped in a space station and go against some techno-zombie "Necromorphs".

According to Bendis, Tony Stark is going to be all about the magicks! Sorcerer Supreme, dawg!

He's been pushing that since 2015 or so, with the X-Men Annual. Bendis' run just needs to be purged from reality.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an AU Tony that went full SMT and is using supercomputers, cybernetics, and Extremis to bypass years of magical study and practice.

Cool, So uh, whats the comic about?

He mostly fights a bunch of evil businessmen trying to monetize magical rituals and rent-a-thug magicians.

Starling Lenya is a dude who has a start-up company that exploded and is predicted to rival Stark's in just a year. Tony looks at tech they are selling and it isn't anything he has seen before, he figures it might be alien and asks Black Widow to infiltrate. There Black Widow is surprised that company thrives in capitalist America, but it's built exactly like ideal of Communist Russia where everyone is equal, everything is for everyone and basically like a mini-communist colony in the middle of New York. Turns out Starling Lenya is a clone hybrid of Joseph Stalin and Lenin that was created by kabal of angry old communist men who reverse engineered cloning technology from Kang the Emperor's ship, they propagate communism by twisting ideals of equality and diminishing value of money and think they are in control of Starling Lenya, when in fact Starling deems them defective (if everyone is equal, how come they are in charge). So he kills his creators and acts upon Lenin's emotions to revolutionize the world, he obtains the reverse-engineered technology of cloning and clones himself to infiltrate capitalist structure and undermine what it stands for to people. By cloning himself and spreading himself all over the country he hopes to gain followers from middle class that's tired of working hours daily for scraps. However, he didn't destroy company created by kabal of evil communist grandpas, he wanted to beat ideal of capitalist man in Tony Stark by being more successful using methods of communism, to show him that ideals and methods he stands for are superior. Tony feels powerless as he starts losing shareholders and people's faith in capitalism his company is built on, so he does what capitalists do: as he was still ahead of the curve he buys out Starling's company. Starling ree and using technology that allowed him to create his clones combined all of his clones into himself and now has strength and minds of thousands of people in his body.

How about a rival who focuses on building software to fuck with Tony? A programmer who can create complex algorithms and AI purely to fuck with Tony's head, invading his suits, infiltrating his home security systems, all for the pure malevolent thrill. The kicker is we never see this guys face, and Tony spends whole events wondering when he's going to start getting fucked with again

This

Problem is, Moon Knight is reverse Punisher. Goons will live, but once you take a costume.... You are dead.

You know, it just hit me that we rarely, if ever, see occult shit in tech-worlds. Every "far future" is full of clean corridors, no "super-stitions", nothing. Unless it's Cyberpunk with its filthy alleys, everything is super clean, neat and tidy. I think it'd be interesting to have some straight-up horror rituals with blood and gore happening in a world that's basically run by machinery. And IM is the perfect book for that.

I remember a late-70s, early-80s run of Iron Man where it seemed he was finally starting to settle in to a decent group of villains, they were mostly techno-gadget crooks, was feeling very similar to how Flash's rogues are shown today.

But the book had such a rotating cast of creatives, nothing ever had time to stick before someone else came in started all over. I remember a switchup happened and a new villain named "Endotherm" was introduced when Melter and Blizzard were shown only a few issues previously, just another Donut Steel OP that we've never seen since.

The idea of a buncha Roxxon-backed thugs with high-tech gimmicks was, for me, the closest Tony ever came to a proper Rogues Gallery of his own. Michelinie and Romita Jr, the only time Iron Man's book has ever veered out of mediocrity into solid storytelling. Devil in the Bottle. Doomquest. Armor Wars. Seriousl, if you havent read IM v1 #116-156 then you havent read Iron Man. When they leave the book is simply awful until... huh, look at that, #215 when Michelinie returns. Who is also nice enough to get rid of the awful white-and-red armor.

>I retcon his birth to be from technological means created by Howard Stark.

Could work for a new Ultimate universe. Howard and Maria always wanted kids, but she gets sick from some genetic disease, freeze her eggs before treatment starts because it could make her infertile. Maria dies, Howard goes a bit nuts and builds an artificial womb so Maria can at least live on in their child, with a little gene therapy on the embryo to remove any inherited disease.

Tony's born, he's off the chart intelligent while Howard starts to resent him because he sees more of himself in Tony than he does Maria. Eventually Tony discovers the circumstances of his birth and starts to doubt whether his genius is his or just something Howard did to him.

>Iron Man has mostly unimpressive foes, ITT we come up with ideas for Iron Man villains for him to actually fight

See, this is the big issue with Iron Man. You keep having people look at his rogues gallery and instead of saying, "Hey, maybe we should focus on revitalizing what's already here and putting them to good use," you always get people dismissing 99% of them and saying, "Hey, let's make new villains for him to actually fight!"

This has been happening in almost every Iron Man run in the past decade. A new writer comes in, does one, maybe two storylines with a few already established Iron Man villains at most, but mostly focuses on brand new villains they came up with for him to fight. But, the thing is, these new villains are usually even more stale and unmemorable than the classic ones.

Try to think of Iron Man villains from the past decade. You have Ezekial Stane, who hasn't shown up in anything since Fraction's run ended. In the grand scheme of things, he didn't feel that memorable either.

Or the current run of Iron Man under Bendis. He said repeatedly in interviews when he first got started that Iron Man's rogue gallery was lame outside of one or two characters and that the rest are literally who's--and his solution was to make brand new exciting enemies for him to fight.

Then he proceeded to have Tony fight a bunch of generic ninjas that felt like Hand knockoffs before having Tony fight against Carol for no good reason and get put into a coma.

Iron Man: Armored Adventures went in some pretty weird directions that left a lot of people divided thanks to the whole "Tony, Rhodey and Pepper as teenagers" route it went with, but one thing most people can agree on is that it breathed new life into Iron Man's classic rogue gallery. These characters that already exist have a lot of potential, if anyone bothered to use them.

My point is, why spend so much time trying to reinvent the wheel when you have a large set of characters to work with?

A good example in comics would be Ghost. For a long time, he was stuck in the same hell most of Iron Man's other rouges were, never being used, or if they were, being treated like one-note jokes at their expense.

But then he got added into a completely unrelated book, Thunderbolts, where he thrived and was fleshed out and actually given a chance. People clung to him and came to like him to the point where Ghost became a staple in the Thunderbolts book for awhile.

All it takes is a writer who cares to make these villains worthwhile. Iron Man has a lot of interesting characters. You have Living Laser, an extremely powerful being that is a literal laser. There's a lot of mileage you can have there, even if he's already been explored off and on over the years. Or the Controller, who is like Purple Man on steroids, being strong enough to beat the crap out of people physically on top of being able to dominate people mentally.

Hell, correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Bendis himself write a comic where Maria Hill stumbled across a town that Controller was hiding in, only to have him screw around with her mind to the point where she came out of that situation with PTSD?

Has there been a storyline about a Chinese company ripping off Stark technology and making knock-off versions of the Iron Man suit to make China grow larger?

Agreed with everything here. Tony's foes could easily be reworked in some terrifying adversaries, but nobody wants to do that. Controller could be an Earth-Bound Darkseid. Fin Fang Foom can be reworked in some Cosmic Horror shit,like that cancelled Las Vegas mini tried to do. Masque could be his Joker, trying to literally rape him (thanks for the idea Gordon). Count Nefaria could be a super-powered Godfather. Whiplash could become a BDSM Maniac again or something. There's a goldmine there, but...

PS: That Hill story was in Fraction's run. Shit was scary.

Zeke Stane showed up in Coates' BP. What really undercut Stane as a villain was that he turned out to be another, "jealous of Tony" villain. About the only thing Bendis has done as far as villains go that is worth keeping around was bringing in Animax, who could work as an IM villian on a thematic level.

Madame Masque is closer to IM's Talia al Ghul than his Joker, but people really should stop thinking about villain/hero dynamics in terms of Batman villains. The S&M theme for Whiplash really shouldn't be overt though, as it invites mockery, and should be a bit more like or the Metal Gear Solid franchise, in which you don't necessarily notice how heavily fetishistic it is on first glance.

Black Lama was cool

The whole futurist, political, schemer angle has been pushed so long. That I think he works fine without a reoccurring gallery. I'd have more appearances of Ghost, Doom, and some rival company that doesn't fuck off to nothingness after one arc. Give deeper views into his struggles on why he doesn't just upgrade marvel earth or steal space tech all day.

Disney and the MCU suck too much Chinese communist cock to fuck with them even in the comics anymore.

I don't want to have to make a new thread for this but does anybody have the RiRi panels where she stares down her teacher?