Why did every cartoon portray broccoli as the most vile thing ever to exist...

Why did every cartoon portray broccoli as the most vile thing ever to exist? It's actually one of the better vegetables to munch on. Cucumber is the worst.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TgA381B3fzg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirepoix_(cuisine)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

man, fuck that broccoli... that little thot

I liked broccoli as a kid a lot actually.

That won't work, Kellogg. Your cereals are shit compared to the goodness of cheddar on broccoli.

I just threw up and it looks like your pic

I prefer a prime cut steak cooked rare over pecan wood

Because the florets are shit tier, while the stems are god tier. Problem is, the floret is what gets focused on.

Broccoli sucks period.

Because americans don't know how to cook.

Broccoli is funner to draw.

I like pretending to be a dinosaur eating trees when I eat broccoli

Aww, what a cute little boy.

Peas and Cauliflower are the true evil. Broccoli is the hero we need.

This and Asparagus. Like what's the matter with you Americans? Do you just serve them raw?

>funner

Excuse me sand nigger?

idk I always liked broccoli and asparagus as a kid.

How did your parents cook them?

I bet you got your ass beat for being a vegan cunt too

I didn't like asparagus as a kid, it turns out I cook them better than my Mom does

>cucumber is the worst

wut.

It's like 99% water! Compared to broccoli, taste is as innoffensively bland as can be. Is it really that hard to imagine why some people would not like something so, for lack of a better word, "green" tasting?

>liking vegetables means you must hate meat

Agreed, cucumber is cool and soft and pleasant. I don't see how you can dislike it.

Most people steam them and it's awful. I'll eat broccoli in a stir fry after it's been doused in cooking oil and sauteed with onions and other better tasting veggies, but ew otherwise.

>be young user
>watching that PPG episode where they are fighting broccoli aliens
>think its not that big of a deal
>suddenly that part where they are covered in cheese
As a kid I loved vegetables more than fruits or even candy

Cucumber is good for one thing: homemade dill pickles

>fatty getting triggered by people having good taste

Cucumber is just this horrid combination of soggy and crunchy with those waxy seeds all over. I hate it.

>Being vegan means you have good taste

Fuck off VeganGains

Soggy? I can only imagine you're eating them at room temperature. You gotta chill them in the fridge, user. I've never had a soggy cucumber.

>you have to be vegan to have good taste
Two can plan this game Donarudo-kun

The worst is the faggots that slice them and put them in water. I just wanted some water, not your shitty vegetable broth.

There's a gene that makes broccoli tastes like ass that like 12% of the population has - my dad had it and I thought I had it until I learned how to cook it properly. Most people just don't cook broccoli long enough or in enough steam to turn awesome.

Bonus fact - the reason why Arby's is used as a joke is because when Arby's first came into prominence it was seen as a "Jewish Restaurant" because the Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches were technically kosher and it was Jewish fast food - Many Jewish kids in middle America heard their Mothers and Grandmothers complaining about Arby's being "trashy" because they weren't as good as the Deli's in traditional Jewish neighborhoods, and as shorthand older women (moms and grandmas) in cartoons would mock Arby's as an homage.

Bonus Bonus Fact - If you cook Broccoli in a steamer use about a 1/8 cup of lemon juice in the water you steam it in. You're welcome.

It made you want to eat aliens?

>If you cook Broccoli in a steamer use about a 1/8 cup of lemon juice in the water you steam it in
Going to keep that in mind, thanks /ck/ user

Are cheeseburgers a vegetable?

But asparagus tastes best raw.

No but pizza is.

t. Americans

Nigga you totally don't know how to broccoli.

There are two ways to broccoli proper - you either roast it or you steam it. And both ways make the florets amazing and the stems really good.

You aren't wrong with your assessment that everyone neglects the stems. The stems are great if they're either - 1. Steamed so long they become soggy and the outside is seeped into the middle or - 2. you peel the broccoli stems so they get sweet as fuck when you cook them and all the bitter skin is tossed.

Roasting broccoli makes the outside peel and therefore you get to the sweet-meats but steaming also makes the bitter part sweeter by combining the layers. Lemon juice can cut the bitter outside but honestly just peeling your stems makes broccoli awesome...

I just realized I agreed with you because peeled and steamed broccoli stems are better than the florets (which don't have the bitter skin) but I maintain my own supremacy on the grounds of fuck you. And also your horse and daughter if she's hot.

OBSESSED
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

Nah, I live here too, burgers are best vegetable

ITT: Weirdos that think cucumbers have a bad taste when it reality it tastes almost like nothing.

>it tastes almost like nothing.
Then why bother?

>soggy
>noticeable seeds
What the fuck kind of cucumbers are you eating, son?

Also, now I'm peckish for a cheese and cucumber sandwich, but have neither. Fuck.

>asparagus
>green
Get out, heathen!

Fuck off white supremacist.

This one is actually because of Baby Boomers.
Baby boomers grew up in the 50s and 60s. That time period sucked food wise in America, because of a combination of the Cold War, the Space Race, and the first commercially available microwave ovens. As a result, they grew up with food that was all canned, preserved, freeze dried, and nuked, because it had to survive nuclear apocalypses, travels to the moon, and sell microwave tv dinners.
As a result, people of that generation have a greater likelihood of liking their steaks well done and their vegetables overcooked to the point of being a green-brown sludge. That's what they remember as kids.
So what do you think happens when they grow up and get jobs as animators? Or when they start cooking for their kids who do the same?

Nah cucumbers have a soft-sweet taste that needs to be capitalized on with a Heavy-Salt/Sour or a Heavy Spicy/Salt. I suppose a Heavy Sour/Spicy could work in theory but I don't know of any successful Jalapeno/Lemon/Cucumber combinations. I think maybe a Tahni sauce somewhere does it but I dunno. Pickles work because the base sweet doesn't change and a heavy manipulation works. Hell it even makes dill edible. Which only Salmon can do.

tl;dr - Cucumbers need a combination and dill is garbage that only works with them and salmon. Fuck dill.

If it killed Homer Simpson, then it did something correct demotherfuckingsu.

Because they're good for you. When I went a juice fast, cucumbers and celery were my go-to primary juicing ingredients when I didn't have enough fruit to counterbalance the taste of kale and broccoli.

They're great in literally any creme based sauce

Go to bed, American Sup Forums isn’t supposed to wake up for at least another 4 hours.

You have a lot of strange ideas that I feel aren't rooted in reality.

Is that why aspic was a thing?

>I suppose a Heavy Sour/Spicy could work in theory
Well they do make spicy dill pickles. I've never had them, but they sound tasty.

It's not the animators themselves but they're experiences with their parents. You may not even notice it but like 60% of your social life is with your parents and them telling you shit makes an impression. That's why we still have racism is 2017. And the Jews, my got those Jews and their little hats. They're adorable...or are they? I don't even know what to believe.

Bitch, it's 3 AM and some of us have to work.

How dare, cucumber is delicious like almost every vegetable, you degenerate. Peas on the other hand taste like sand

Try and stop me!

>don't let a week go by without serving one
How horrifying.

Brocoli is tasteless. As in, i literally can't taste shit when I'm eating it, it's like I'm biting into leafy water or something.

My mother made steamed broccoli with some seasonings, and the asparagus, she'd bake with some seasonings as well. Personally, I can eat them without all that extra. Same with most vegetables.

true. Brussels Sprouts are the worst one.

My grandmother used to pickle large cucumbers in diced form and they were sweet with mustard seeds and cloves. Those were lovely as a side dish.

The main flavor is still salty. They're great but they usually ride on red-pepper (usually) which is mostly sweet. Still I love all pickles. Not equally but I will say I do.

Spicy dills are usually garlic-heavy combined with red pepper flakes (which give off a little heat but not much) Jalapenos give off a different sweeter heat and I'm playing with them a little (Oh I'm a pickle-maker...um...is that actually a job? No it isn't but whatever..) Anyway my brine for most spicy pickles uses rice wine vinegar as the base because it brings up the sweetness and that allows the spice to go through and dill itself even brings up the sweet so that's why it works with garlics that bring it salty and more bitter. Anyway, Pickling is weird hobby I'm working with and hopefully you'll buy my pickles in the future because I'm getting better at it. And my name is basically Pickle so it's self-advertising.

A similar thing happened at the end of WWII in Britain, apparently. Once rationing ended and everyone could eat fresh eggs rather than powdered eggs they found that there was a whole younger generation that didn't even remember the pre-rationing days, and since they'd grown up eating powdered eggs they disliked the taste of fresh eggs, asking for the "nice" eggs they'd eaten as a kid.

The nutritional quality of food during the rationing was also better than it had been at any point in British history, because the government finally had a reason to make sure EVERYONE ate healthy, but since the food was so much blander and less colourful people got the idea that the food was worse for you, and subsequently it's been remembered as being terrible.

Sounds amazing. Did you ever put them on a bed of cottage cheese? The mixture of salty-rich-sweat-and a little spicy sounds divine.

Delete yourself.

And with your spirit.

It's 1:20 am on Saturday morning, and I'm at a house party I don't want to be at.

Also fuck off. American Sup Forums is all hours.

This is my fav cartoon regarding broccoli consumption. It seems to me to be a very real thing children don't like. youtube.com/watch?v=TgA381B3fzg

>And my name is basically Pickle so it's self-advertising.
I'd buy pickles from a guy named Pickle.

t. pickle hater

I still haven't gotten used to the taste of carrots. Sorry mom.

>nobody shitting on celery
Celery is the most disgusting vegetable I've ever eaten in my life.

I've never been more disappointed in you. Pregnancy was a mistake.

agreed

There's nothing wrong with well-done steak.

Celery is fucking great though, it's like eating an enhanced version of water.

Never did, but here is a recipe.

2kg ripe cucumbers

0,5Liter wine vinegar

0,5Liter water

10 whole black pepper corns

6 whole cloves

1 tbsp mustard seeds

1kg sugar

0,5tbsp dill

1 peel cucumbers, remove seeds, cut into pieces about 1-2cm thicc.

2 boil vinegar and water, pour over cucumbers, leave like this for 12h.

3 Take cucumbers out of the vinegar, boil vinegar with sugar and spices (spices can be put into cheesecloth or similar)

4 Put cucumbers back into the broth and cook shortly.

5 Fill hot cucumbers into prepared jars and cover with the broth, close jars tightly.

Well celery is just a sweet vacuum - it literally exists to make sweeter things less sweet in cooking by grabbing the sugars especially in a mirepoix to allow the other elements (earthy with the carrots and sour with the onions) to grab the fold. Make no mistake - it does not remove the sweetness it just kinda moves it.

Without cooking celery can fuck right off - I don't like it raw and every who claims too is either lying or lying to themselves for fitness reasons...

Like the entertainment industry, food that is bland and boring is a lot worse than bitter ones. I doubt anybody here hates a good piece of dark chocolate.

wtf I've never had celery cooked, so this all new to me. Raw celery is good as hell.

The stems or the roots?
Because I don’t even know how one would have a vegetable stock without celery root.

Is that wine vinegar red wine vinegar?

Do you crack the cloves first?

Do you roast the mustard seeds?

1 kg of sugar feels like alot...is that accurate?

This feels like an old world BnB recipe that needs a fresh hit of Turmeric. But I'm totally making this tomorrow and thank you for the recipe!

It's good in pasta sauce as an alternative to (or in addition to) sweet or white onions. You just gotta cook it down with peppers and whatnot before you add tomatoes.

I don't mind the taste or texture of celery, but I hate when it's fibers get stuck in my teeth

use leek instead

I just grabbed it off the webs, so no guarantee. It looks like it's close to what granny is doing, though.
I assume white wine vinegar, leave the cloves whole, mustard not roasted.
Sugar looks a lot, but they are supposed to be sweet and you have vinegar to counteract.
And yes, that is a recipe you can find in Germany.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirepoix_(cuisine)

Read this and level up your cooking to Advanced level almost immediately. You probably need more but a mirepoix is literally a base to a million awesome things.

Did somebody say broccoli?

Gottcha. BnB North Germany. I have a similar recipe that uses Red Pepper and Cinnamon from Poland. To do the recipe right you have to crack the seeds with heat which is just roasting them in a pan without oil until they "pop" - It doesn't do much but gives you something to pretend to do while you boil the water on a range.

I'd munch his broccoli.

Gross
there are so many better guys on that show.
He is so low tier. Almost as gross as Cell.

Fun fact: Germans are so obsessed with asparagus that some fields use heating systems to make sure it can be farmed much earlier.

That page is ass... but essentially whenever you're making a stock use the mirepoix to enhance the flavor. Whenever something is seeping for a time seep it in a mirepoix to gain flavors. Whenever you do a slow cook (more than 4 hours) keep the vegetables from a mirepoix in it to cook with more flavor.

I like salted turnip greens.

I like strained beets.

They're a fruit.