When is America planning to complete the transition to the SI measurement system?

When is America planning to complete the transition to the SI measurement system?

It has started and stopped quite a bit in recent years.

Other urls found in this thread:

standards.org.au/standardsdevelopment/what_is_a_standard/Pages/default.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck off turbo nigger

freedom units till I die

When are you going to get smart and switch back from that obsolete experiment in pseudo science?

Celsius is based on the boiling and freezing point of water, and happened to be codified by a french person.

logically progressing from temperature, the mass of a cubic centimeter of water at room temperature (25C), also known as a milliliter, become the definition of a gram of mass.

the meter was historically defined as the length a pendulum needs to be in order to swing once per second. and a centimeter is just a 1/100th of a meter

as you can probably imagine, this is based on the combined work of scholars over a period of hundreds of years, and dispersed over a relatively large geographical area. austria, france, sardinia, england, and many others.

oh, and one liter is defined as 1kg of water at room temperature.

so you can see how it all connects to our natural world quite logically.

tl;dr

come back when you wanna talk about freedom commie

I don't care about any of that bullshit. We use imperial measurements here. Fuck right off, bushman.

the metric system frees you from the shackles of artificially made, arbitrary units and brings you closer to nature

i'm american, you dickwit

>How many stones furlongs per fortnight squared does your engine make, sonny?

Or alternatively, you could measure it in kW like a sensible person.

On December 31, 2012, a petition was created on the White House's petitioning system, petitioning the White House to "Make the Metric system the standard in the United States, instead of the Imperial system." On January 10, 2013, this petition garnered over 25,000 signatures, exceeding the threshold needed to require the Obama Administration to officially respond to the petition. Patrick D. Gallagher, director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, provided the official response stating that customary units were defined in the metric system, thus making the nation "bilingual" in terms of measurement systems. Gallagher also said that using the metric system was a choice to be made by individuals.

this is retarded, just switch over already. yank the bandaid off

this. joules are the way to go because calories are dependent on local atmospheric conditions which are always subject to change

>Although the Constitution gave Congress the authority to dictate standards of measure, it was not until 1832 that the customary system of units was formalized. In the early 19th century, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (the government's surveying and map-making agency) used meter and kilogram standards brought from France. Shortly after the American Civil War, Congress authorized the use of the metric system in the Metric Act of 1866 and supplied each state with a set of standard metric weights and measures.

>The use of two different unit systems was the cause of the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter in 1998.

>While most Americans have studied metric units at school, metric use remains low in daily life. Speed limits are usually in miles per hour and road signs usually give distances in miles or feet. The BTU remains the common measure of heating and cooling, and clothing is measured in inches. Some of the more common SI prefixes are widely known, and are sometimes used with non-metric units. For example, computer memory storage capacity is measured in kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, and digital camera resolution is specified in megapixels. Nuclear explosions are measured in kilotons and megatons of TNT. The letter K is commonly used to denote "thousand" (e.g., "She earns $80K"), even though this is inconsistent with the lowercase "k" in SI. This usage has largely replaced the letter "G" (for "grand", used almost exclusively for money) and the Roman numeral M that was commonly used for "thousand" before the 1960s; in fact, the "M" has now come to denote "million" (e.g., "$32.5M budget").

Never fuck off we're full

And yet you don't even understand what this even means because you don't understand what a gram really is.

It's funny. If you go up to Canada, which uses metric, you just adapt. It takes no time at all. By the end of the weekend you are fluent in metric. I don't know why we let the most stupid in our society make the decisions just because they are too stupid to understand

yeah and i mean i knew what metric was, but the thing that makes it click for me and just realize why it's so much better than the imperial system is that it's based on water, as described here
when i learned that i was just like oh shit, this is the way it should be

most other americans probably don't even know that it's based on water

i mean, it's fine, they can use whatever they want to, but imma go with this one because it's just a lot more logical, and unit conversions are as easy as adding or removing a zero

I don't know what relatively a centimeter is, and only know a meter is about three feet.

An inch can be measured on the middle segment of your finger.

A foot with, well your foot.

A yard is three steps.

A mile is usually when things get obscure when looking from afar.

I don't particularly need to know the distance light traveled in this given amount of time for the length to be relative to my life. Science sure, but I can't use them, and I'm a carpenter.

As for weights, I don't particularly care which. I use both interchangeable, and prefer the metric standard on that.

A door is about 2 meters, with the doorknob at 1 meter height.

That's dandy information, but most doors aren't standardized, and I'm sure with our buildings built by foot, and most of your modern ones built by meter, there's going to be a difference.

only in the rest of the world. in the us, i think a door standard (for a home) is 8 feet tall. (i've installed a few doors)

the best way to switch to metric is to just forget imperial altogether and start over with grams. you know how heavy a 2 liter of water feels, that's 2kg, bam. you're already an expert. divide that by 2, and that's 1kg. divide that by 10 and that's 100g. divide that by 100 and that's 1g.

>he uses celsius
>bases it on boiling and freezing point of water
>not basing it on the triple point

literally subhumans. everyone should be using kelvin.

>Most doors aren't standardised
Yes they are, you fucking idiot.

Go down to whatever you have instead of Bunnings and try to find a door in a non-standard size.

i do use kelvin in the lab. but celsius came out before we had the scientific breakthrough that absolute zero is a thing.

in the universe, if there are aliens who can travel, they probably use kelvin as their Universal standard to communicate scientific data. but on their home planet, they probably use the boiling and freezing point of their most common liquid as their metric (hence the name metric system)

hate to break it to you m8, but there are different doors for different jobs

you can't reach the triple point at atmospheric pressure, retard.

Measured my door. It's 69 1/2", or 6'7. From ground to door knob, it's 40"

So that's about 176.53 centimeters, so that's about 1.75 meters in height

he's just demonstrating to us that he knows kelvin exists

Yeah, and all of those fit standard sizes.

You can't get a 2046x827x38mm door.

>Tells the carpenter every door is the same height
Yeah, you're full of shit. Custom built houses often need custom sized doors. Older houses usually have larger doors, while newer ones have the "standard", or most common kind.

Interior doors and outer doors are often different sizes too.

yeah, here in aus, the doors are taller. 2040cm tall for home, 2700 for business

Fuck you guys are illiterate.
They're not all the same, but they are standard sizes.

And?

nice nonsense. no one cares about aliens.

idc if someone uses meter or imperial units for distance or any other derived units. but using non thermodynamic temperature scales is just retarded when they exist for both systems.

Standard implies it's a unified, agreed upon size every door will be. It's not.

>official measurements
Wow it's fucking nothing
We use feet, pounds, ounces colloquially and that isn't going to change. The only place a standardized metric matters is in scientific fields and they all use SI for that.

Like I've stated, I don't really get metric lengths. You up in the pearly gates with 27 meters doors, m8?

Are AA and AAA standard battery sizes?
Yes, even though they're different.

Are M8 and M10 standard bolt sizes?
Yes, even though they're different.

This is what "standard" means.
Congratulations, now you have the same education level as the average ten year old.

Don't the Brits and Canucks still use imperial for colloquial terms too? I know the Brits use "stone", whatever that is, and will sometimes use feet and inches outside of professional life.

Quit trying to sound intellectually superior. Real scientists set seconds = meters and don't give a fuck.

Get your head out of your ass. Standard means that it's the law, official, or the must-use. Those batteries and bolts aren't standard for all industries, they're simply the most common, otherwise they'd be a pain in the ass.

Nobody's stopping someone from making 11" doors, strange shaped batteries, or what have you, as a system would be. I know we're arguing about the definition of a word, but fuck off with your door autism.

Celsius is completely retarded btw.

>muh brine shrimp

Yeah let me cut down the usable range on my thermostat because using water is somehow any less arbitrary.

You can't adapt technology to metric system.

If you have half inch rivet, then 13mm wrench will be too big if it's screwed hard and 12mm will be to small to fit.

Imagine that this shit applies to basically every single fucking thing in your country. You can make 12,5mm wrenches or 7,62mm wrenches(0,3 inch) but I think you can see how dumb it gets.

This is literally the reason why you've never adapted it. The costs of transitioning are relatively high and you simply didn't want to pay them(like Brits did).

Same reason why you are 110V instead of 230V.

>1 ft is literally one foot length
>most doors aren't standardized

Hey man I've got size 49/13 shoe size so what now?

it's just a thought experiment.

celsius (or local dihydrogen-monoxide liquid-based temperature metric) for earth is based on water, but somewhere else it could be based on the boiling and freezing point of sulphur for instance, or some unknown element to that species and civilization.

they, like we, just use whatever is around, and is convenient to do math in. kelvin isn't base 10. it's base number is 0, but the temperature we experience most often is between 273k and 293k.

meanwhile in Celsius 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. it's that simple, and we are a base 10 species for the most part so the arithmetic is really easy

>law, official or must-use
Maybe when you're a carpenter who just does what he's told.

Engineers set the standards.
Companies often have their own internal standards, and in a lot of cases there are different competing standards.

In a lot of cases the existing standard doesn't fit your requirements, so you either work outside of the standard or make a new one.

Please, just stop posting.

273.15 to 293.15k to be precise. see how fucky that gets?

Kek. As if body parts are standardized in size.

the foot is literally the length of some dead english dude's foot. while the meter is the length a pendulum needs to be in order to swing once per second, independent of biological variables

By the way, here's a handy website that has some information if you're actually interested in learning more.

standards.org.au/standardsdevelopment/what_is_a_standard/Pages/default.aspx

Maybe you'll even learn why you follow the standards, rather than just doing it because we tell you to.

1,75m is the height of a manlet. Calculate again Burger.

>6'7.
> 176.53

One foot ~ 30 cm

195 cm

I didn't say literally, nor did I say it should be used for scientific studies. It's more relevant to daily life that saying "23 centimeters to the left". If an average adult person were to say a foot here or there, then the general gist is understood and corrections can be made from there.

If you work outside of a standard, it is not a standard. If I were to violate a building code, a standard, I'd be fined whereas with most other things, it's simply easier to work with what most people use.

Just went off what Google calculated. We all can't be 7 foot Nordic giants.

Oh, fuck. I see where I went wrong. It was 77 inches, not 67.

Yo fuck metrics

Suck my 4 inch dick motherfuckers

it will be fun we can fill our tires not in psi but in
kilopascals like the leafs

thats not retarded or anything

but the thing is you're working within a system that is convoluted, and i think you recognize this. 23cm is just 20cm + 3 more cm. that's easy because you'd know what 20cm looks like, and you'd know what a cm looks like, so you'd easily know what 3 of them look like.

what i'm saying is if everything were built in square numbers like meters, then dividing that by 100 is a piece of cake so you'd be more likely to work in round numbers.

"hey, bring it about 20 more cm to the right". that's how it would go

You're part of the reason the whole world hates America

You are the most retarded and arrogant people in the world despite being so retarded and uneducated

Fuck.....

it's not retarded because a pascal is the pressure exerted by a force of magnitude one newton perpendicularly upon an area of one square metre.

it's how hard something pushes on 1 square meter of area.

and one newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in direction of the applied force.

and a kilogram is just how heavy 1L of water feels.

and 1L is just 1000mL, and 1mL is a gram.

and 1 gram is just one cubic centimeter of water (at room temperature, which is defined as 25C).

I understand it's easier if you grow up with it, but I'm explaining the reluctance to change. Some people simple won't get it. Most people I know over the age of forty here can't even work a computer to it's simplest form, and expecting the United States to change over night is ridiculous, and changing slowly would be extremely difficult, because most adults in the work force will try to hire someone familiar with what they know.

The only way I can see it being a success is if the government started hanging out contracts and forcing counties and states to use them. As it stands. it's useless for me, Joe Everyman.

You're free to leave NATO anytime, buddy. You don't even touch the North Atlantic, so I don't know why you're even in it desu. Keep polishing them Soviet monuments while you're at it, though

btw my ancestry is purely from Austria. :)

the world hates us because they have little brother syndrome and dont like how we invent everything and do everything

Oi.
I'm the little brother and have done way more than my brother and invented new stuff.
You can fuck right off with that, nigger.

the government does work almost exclusively in the metric system for quantities of mass

also

>In 1968, Congress authorized the U.S. Metric Study, a three-year study of systems of measurement in the United States, with emphasis on the feasibility of metrication. The United States Department of Commerce conducted the study. A 45-member advisory panel consulted and took testimony from hundreds of consumers, business organizations, labor groups, manufacturers, and state and local officials.

>The final report of the study concluded that the U.S. would eventually join the rest of the world in the use of the metric system of measurement. The study found that metric units were already implemented in many areas and that its use was increasing. The majority of study participants believed that conversion to the metric system was in the best interests of the United States, particularly in view of the importance of foreign trade and the increasing influence of technology in the United States.

Thanks for proving my point.
Austria is not a member of the NATO, yet you make your opinion public in a loudly manner, proving that your culture is flamboyant and arrogant as hell

Fuck the U.S. and fuck stupid people.

The United States is metric; they teach SI in schools, the government uses it, and people buy and sell in metric all the time.

SI's only selling point is that it's base-10, and in day-to-day living that's unnecessary. Celsius doesn't properly describe the weather, so you can fuck off with that.

No, we use United States customary units, which are different from Imperial as the British Empire redefined them after we seceded. Like everything else, ours reflects the older order of things.

As an example:

A US Pint is 16oz (473 ml)
An Imperial Pint is 20oz (568 ml)

then when Metrication hit the Commonwealth, some places decided to do away with it entirely. So in the US and the UK where a pint of beer is a pint of beer (depending on what system you use), in say Australia it's whatever the bartender says it is.

I don't care. Have you ever seen this? I've been to Austria a few times, however staying mainly in the Innsbruck/Tyrol area, but I'd be very curious to head closer to the Danube.

>Celsius doesn't properly describe the weather, so you can fuck off with that.
how?

so a frost at 32 makes more sense than 0?

You'd get fined, but a professional who actually knew what they were doing wouldn't get fined.

This is the difference between a carpenter and an engineer.

We decide the standards based on scientific understanding and experience, and you follow them because we tell you to.

celsius is based on the boiling and freezing point of water. it describes the weather better than any other system of measuring temperature because it is directly proportionate to the percentile energy of the water molecules, with 100% energy being "no longer liquid, now steam, hot!" and 0% energy being "no longer liquid, frozen solid"

>celsius doesnt properly describe the weather
I boil water more often than I go outside. Do you even know how to cook you dumb cunt?

fuccboi!!

That's the schwarzenbergplatz in Vienna and it's close to my office

Stay away from Vienna and stick to Tyrol, Salzburg or any other place that isn't Vienna or Vorarlberg

I'm going to move to Innsbruck one day and I can recommend you that rox music bar near the train station
It's like a Hard Rock Cafe knockoff but they serve awesome burgers

this is an asinine comment

this is also an asinine comment

>then when Metrication hit the Commonwealth, some places decided to do away with it entirely. So in the US and the UK where a pint of beer is a pint of beer (depending on what system you use), in say Australia it's whatever the bartender says it is.

in china they still use jin for common weights and li for distance, but everybody uses the metric system fluently because it's something that can be communicated easily

in australia we use a pound and a mile sometimes, but officially the kilometer and the kilogram are the standard measurements you'd find in any store. but ask the shop keeper for a pound of beef mince and you'll get half a kilo.

in england they use the pound, the stone, but officially they use the metric system.

it's not difficult at all, actually it makes life easier

Why should we transfer the entire society to a measuring system used by scientists?

Imperial units are extremely convenient and are based off the measurements of a human body. An inch is a finger segment, a foot is a foot, a yard is a leg....etc. They are very intuitive and easy to work with. Conversion factors are simple to anyone who isn't a retard

"Scientific" units meanwhile are arbitrary. A mathematical construction designed to ease calculation, not measurement.

Forcing the entire society use the same measurement system is a communist idea of the central planning of everything. You should use the units that are most convenient to the situation. For example, sailors used to use fathoms for vertical distances, and miles for horizontal distances. That's because the world of a sailor is a pancake, this measuring system makes sense.

required reading

Celsius is based on the boiling and freezing point of water, and happened to be codified by a french person.

logically progressing from temperature, the mass of a cubic centimeter of water at room temperature (25C), also known as a milliliter, become the definition of a gram of mass.

the meter was historically defined as the length a pendulum needs to be in order to swing once per second. and a centimeter is just a 1/100th of a meter

as you can probably imagine, this is based on the combined work of scholars over a period of hundreds of years, and dispersed over a relatively large geographical area. austria, france, sardinia, england, and many others.

oh, and one liter is defined as 1kg of water at room temperature.

so you can see how it all connects to our natural world quite logically.

How's the view from Arrogance Peak? I doubt you're actually an engineer, and if you are one, I doubt you're employed as one considering Australia's slump int he job market.

And since we're calling a spade a spade, I'm only saying carpenter because it's easier. My actual title has more connotations than what you're thinking. If you're an engineer, implied by we, what kind? Electrical, civil, or what?

Oh, don't worry, man. I've been to Innsbruck many, many times. I was, back in darker times, a freeloader over there for a while but I'd certainly love to go over there again permanently. It's absolutely beautiful, and it's my number one destination spot whenever I get a chance.

I'd go back, but getting Austrian citizenship is so difficult. I can read and write in German, but I still have quite a bit of difficulty speaking as I can't seem to stress my throat for more of them guttural sounds, and I don't feel right trying to move into a place where I must make the natives adapt to me.

>"Scientific" units meanwhile are arbitrary
they are not arbitrary. they are relative to the boiling and freezing point of water, the most common liquid, on our planet

even if you lost all of your tools, you could still measure the point at which water boils as 100C.

Trained in mechatronics, but I work in production support.

Ok, in the specific instances you've mentioned there is a useful connection

But with Celcius, 30 degrees is a hot day, 0 degrees is a frozen day. With Farenheight, 100 degrees is a hot day, 0 degrees is a frozen day. Farenheit therefore is more convenient and useful to work with. You'll find yourself saying decimals a lot less.

Why should we base the measuring system humans use off the freezing and boiling point of water? I am a human, not a water bottle

Why do you need a citizenship?
My girl is from Eastern Europe and came here 4 years ago and has never been unemployed here

Yes, so this is very useful to a scientist. But it may not be so useful to a human being going about their day to day lives.

Not everybody in the world is a scientist

>You'll find yourself saying decimals a lot less.
You don't.

There's literally no difference between 20C and 21C, same as there isn't any between 60F and 67F.

The jump between degrees in Celsius is greater than Fahrenheit.

I prefer not to use decimals when describing the weather, but that's a minor quibble.

>Ok, in the specific instances you've mentioned there is a useful connection

those are only a small handful of all of the things measured that are based on a connection back to water. it ALL comes back to water. electricity, work, distance, it all comes back to water.

in the imperial system it's a bunch of arbitrary, unrelated units with no connection to anything except the name of the guy who made it up.

take the pascal
a pascal is the pressure exerted by a force of magnitude one newton perpendicularly upon an area of one square metre.

it's how hard something pushes on 1 square meter of area.

and one newton is the force needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass at the rate of one metre per second squared in direction of the applied force.

and a kilogram is just how heavy 1L of water feels.

and 1L is just 1000mL, and 1mL is a gram.

and 1 gram is just one cubic centimeter of water (at room temperature, which is defined as 25C).

>We all can't be 7 foot Nordic giants.

I've been to California and even though I felt tall among all the spics they had normal doors at ~2m there. I don't think the average male height is that different yet, either.

it does't matter if you're a scientist or not. you are going to come into contact with water at some point during your day.

scientists only use it because it's what makes the most sense. unit conversions are easy, and don't require memorizing a million different rules and conversion factors.

the only conversion you ever need to know in SI is add a 0 or remove a 0.

30c is 30% of the way to a boiling pot of water. that's pretty warm. 40 is almost halfway to a boiling pot of water. that's really fucking hot. boiling, you can't even touch it it's so hot.

Nobody is forcing "the entire society" to use "scientific" units, calm your tits. Foots and yards and dicksize measures sounds comparative in your narration and not exact. Consequently they are not fit for accurate measurements. Also they seem fucking stoneage retarded.

But I am not water. I am a human. Why would the measuring system based off water be the most useful one for me to use in my day to day life?

Wouldn't it instead make more sense for me to use a measuring system based off my body? For example, a cup is a mouthful. An inch is a finger segment. A 100 degree day is the hottest day of summer, a 0 degree day is the coldest day of winter.

Why should I use a measuring system which is most useful to a scientist in a laboratory? Metric units are designed to aid calculation, imperial units are designed to aid measurement, which is more important when you're baking a cake, or figuring out whether to wear a jacket in the morning

I don't know the laws, and don't want to get kicked out or be a burden. Does she have permanent residency status? From looking at Austrian law immigration law, it seems to have a high, high focus on educators and university personal, but I'm probably overthinking it.

I don't even know how I could get a job over there. I know many people speak English in Austria (why I stayed so long), but I'd need a way to contribute.

I love America, but I don't have good feelings for it, or my decedents. I don't want to sound like a faggot with muh Heritage, but I think it might be time to go back.

nobody says "its 27.1 degrees" nobody, except for meteorologists. the weatherman says it's gonna be a nice 27 today

>For example, a cup is a mouthful. An inch is a finger segment. A 100 degree day is the hottest day of summer, a 0 degree day is the coldest day of winter.
>arbitrary body parts that are different for literally everyone, or water which is uninfluenced by subjective quibbles

Metric is better for just about everything, with the exception of describing the weather. not that it makes any 32 degrees is freeing, but Fahrenheit system scales better to our everyday need to describe weather. I dont often need to consider 212 degree weather.

but the rest of every day life it would be great, Celsius, liters and kilograms make much more seance for cooking and recipes, and english measurements for distance are just nonsense

I wish we would move to metric, and just keep Fahrenheit to casualty describe the weather so I know if I should needs shorts or a jacket. for for any scientific needs for the study of weather should be in metric,.

Which is exactly why I don't like Celsius. It's 43° outside, not 6.1.

why are you so insistent on your idea that "metric is only for scientists in a laboratory"?

but that's wrong

Body parts are different for everyone, but they are similar within a certain tolerance.

For example, my feet are about 11 inches long. The standard "foot" was based on the size of the King of England's foot back in the day. I know when I'm pacing something out that by measuring steps with my bare feet, every 12 steps will lose me a foot in my total.

It's convenient

Map is incorrect. England doesnt use it either