kickstarter.com/projects/1056985656/john-ks-cans-without-labels
youtu.be/BdeHw6fYUq4
twitter.com/annecyfestival/status/742714897809702912
youtube.com/watch?v=gQXl9gaeNLQ
michaelbarrier.com/Essays/Milt_Gray/Gray_on_Clampett.htm
michaelbarrier.com/Essays/JonesAveryLetter/JonesAveryLetter.html
youtube.com/watch?v=WApcUBcVMos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

About a lot of historical cartoon knowledge and techniques? Absolutely.

About anything else? Nope.

Especially having jailbait as assistants.

>tfw even if all his female interns did come forward John has no career to ruin.

Leave Katie Rice, Kali Fontecchio, Lynn Naylor, Vicky Jensen, Marlo Meekins, April March, Kristy Gordon, AnnMarie McCarty and Jessica Borutski out of this!

>if john k was still around today hed be fired for harrasement

Fucking kek

>a John K themed "I don't know Homer Simpson" thread

I'll leave them out of this just this once but, I'm going to to leave it in them alright?

Daily reminder he raised $136,723 for an 8 minute animated short to be delivered February 2013 and it's still not finished.

kickstarter.com/projects/1056985656/john-ks-cans-without-labels

>We still need to animate, clean up, inbetween and color the cartoon. We will paint the backgrounds and build a cg set and some props. Then we need to pay for music, sound effects and final editing. The whole process will take about 7 months. It will be 8-10 minutes long, which is about the same length as a Ren and Stimpy episode, but for HALF the price!

He wrote this over 5 years ago, in July 2012.

Would he deserve it?

>He wrote this over 5 years ago, in July 2012.
Still leas time than a ren and stimpy ep

Depends on if he's knocked off the creepy shit and what the statute of limitations is.

It's finished, it had a screening at annecy. I think they're working out the distribution... I wonder if it's going to be an integrated part of whatever his new studio is working on now. He's a product of the past so it's no wonder he doesn't have much transparency with the internet.

Yes, but Dilworth is a better example of those ideas.

ITT: Suburban kids with pear-shaped moms

Here's John and Katie on the Adult Party Cartoon DVD

youtu.be/BdeHw6fYUq4

Don’t forgot Danny Antonucci. His recent short beautifully animated. You know it pisses me off all the attention John K gets, most of which he deserves, but some many great 90s animators aside from him

To be fair, John is a cutie too. I wouldn't mind if he hit on me.

John K's ideals are good in theory, but they aren't applicable to the actual work process of animation, the industry-standard outsourcing, and the fact that a lot of "animators" (especially at Cartoon Network) can't make stories for shit.

In their defense, neither can John K.

>if you can't draw, you shouldn't write for cartoons

Do you agree, Sup Forums?

No, because not every cartoon is Bugs Bunny. Something like B:TAS needs writers.

Thinking that all animation = cartoons is part of why our industry is shit in the States to begin with.

Yes.
You don't need to be great, but you need some basic knowledge and experience.

Didn't Nick want to make his show softer, and more kid friendly after feminist groups bitched about the some of the shows edgy content. He wouldn't water the showdown so they fired him, and had the guy who did Stimpys voice replace him as Rens voice?

There was a post directly after that informing everyone it was back on schedule. FAKE NEWS!

> Here comes the CalArts defense squad

Get fucked fagots!
Get fucked to death!

...What? That's not the reason at all. By your logic the best our industry had to offer must've been from the 70s-80s, right? Absolute retardation. The Japanese know that animation is a VISUAL medium and therefore should have VISUAL thinkers (the artists) at the helm of things. That's why they're beating us, they adopted our principles while we abandoned them. You got it ass-backwards.

>not believing the 70s were the perfection of American animation

Kill yourself, CalArts weeboo SJW faggot!

calarts cartoons have storyboarders. They "write" the story and tell it with pictures.
they're not writers in the sense that they weren't hired specifically to write and not draw

The Iron Giant was a Cal-Arts cartoon. And all cartoons have storyboarders.

You're confused.

Not every animated project is "Triplets of Belville" that depends on moving illustration to tell the story just as much as they aren't all Looney Tunes that are just visual gags one after the other. Stories like Toy Story or Despicable Me can very easily be written by someone who can't draw but is still really good at imagining scenes, understanding characters, and crafting a narrative.

Lots of books are very strong in creating scenes with just words. By your own logic, it's impossible to translate books into movies because the authors were not movie directors and never made their stories for a movie format. There are some live-action TV shows that have very cartoony premises but work just fine despite being written by non-artists. Why do you think something like a superhero cartoon somehow needs to have a different writing process than a superhero live-action show?

In case you're not joking.

Look alive, retard

Nice false flagging you fucking dipshit. Keep sucking on that cock instead of having your own opinion about what's good animation to you, depraving yourself of entertainment.

Redline had a $30 million budget and was 102 minutes long. It also took 7 years to finish.

Well, that took me by surprise. Why haven't we heard anything about it since, then?

No idea. Backers got a big update about it on kickstarter recently, about how it's finished and they're working on distribution + hints that the studio is working on more stuff.

It would be better if you also put the link.

>twitter.com/annecyfestival/status/742714897809702912

Well, that's good. I'm not the biggest John K. fan, but I'm sure I'll be great, and more content from his studio can only be a good thing.

>He's right about everything, you know.
John.K's problem was that he stressed the fundamentals to the point of making himself obsolete. He was trying to get theatrical style animation out of a television unit in an economy that had no desire to pay for it. He was so right that the industry and colleagues moved on without him because in the end it's all about the money and pleasing your superiors. You should at least meet your fuckin deadlines though, cripes

B A C K S U R G E R Y
A
C
K

S
U
R
G
E
R
Y

With Cuphead out now, there's no reason to no go into vidyagames instead. Hell, that's how Don Bluth started animating independently, and it's the one avenue that leads to a high enough budget for the level of animation he wants to achieve.

youtube.com/watch?v=gQXl9gaeNLQ

>Cuphead will noticeably influence the animation environment and make people more likely to return to traditional techniques
I bet you also believed in the great adult renaissance that would surely be triggered by fucking Sausage Party.

>With Cuphead out now, there's no reason to no go into vidyagames instead.
You don't understand, high quality animation isn't cost efficient anymore, it nearly killed the devs who made Cuphead but they made it out by the skin of their teeth and succeeded. It's not sustainable unless you have a really small team that works fast because labor costs money. If I remember correctly they had to quit their jobs, sell their houses, and move into together. Most people here don't have the balls to do half of that.

Anime is largely based on scripts and writers per each episode, with board artists generally not having writing control at all. The director, who usually works with the writer is in charge of key boards. kys.

>having your own opinion

only sub-human faggots that must be killed in concentration camps do that shit

The writers of the best animes are still artists, and like you said work with the director closely to flesh out the story in the sb phase. This doesn't happen in western industry. The writers are hacks who use animation as a stepping stone to live action, because animation is treated with such low standards. The writers don't talk to the artists, they hate eachother. You're wrong.

>The writers don't talk to the artists, they hate eachother.
No they hate artists like you.

Nice argument.

I find it far more likely that you and people like you,(artists/animators and writers alike) are the cause or further degradation of such a toxic relationship.

His hate boner for Chuck Jones makes me think otherwise.

>The writers of the best animes are still artists
Are you implying that 'the best animes' have good stories?

Everything he said about artstyles is right, you can't deny it, shows nowadays are repulsive with lack of knowledge about design

This is both funny and incredibly uncomfortable...

But he doesn't hate Chuck Jones. He has like five posts analysing The Dover Boys.

Can someone post the whole comics?

Its funny though, everything he says is right. Particularly about the chin-lips, it shows so little grasp of the style.

Could have been eye candy like Cuphead but instead we got Doraemon.

I think he's confusing Bob Clampett's hate for Chuck Jones with John K's non-hate, and probably admiration, of Chuck Jones.

It's almost as if this was 90's style instead of the 30's or 40's style.

no, but you can get it here: johnk.wikia.com

>It's finished, it had a screening at annecy. I think they're working out the distribution...

Apparently only DVD's need to be made.
Which, if we are to believe John K, is a job that requires over three months because this is as much as has already passed since that 'reassuring' update. :^)

>90's style
I don't know what the fuck kind of style Doraemon is, but if you're gonna make a show about 1930s cartoon characters who were imprisoned since the 1930s and escaped in the 1990s, you better have a clue about the source material.

And either way, a mishmash of bad Japanese style and bad Western style is not the way to go.

>johnk.wikia.com
Thanks.

>I bet you also believed in the great adult renaissance that would surely be triggered by fucking Sausage Party.

That will only happen if we convince the likes of Scorsese, Nolan, or Tarantino to make animated films, not from fucking Seth Rogen.

There should just be a show about George liquor, Murrican.

With John K at the helm of it, there is no chance for seasonal rot as noone currently alive gets to live that long to see the climax of the first one.

It's kind of weird that considering their talent, after working with home they all seemed to either take a break or go away from the animation industry. Makes me a bit sad.

>kickstarter.com/projects/1056985656/john-ks-cans-without-labels
Payed $300 for it, got a bunch of rewards as well as scribbles and some drawings originally used for the short

When it finally gets its release it won't be met with hype or exaltation. Just the taste that I cannot trust this guy with my money. Not unless he can be held accountable to a deadline. Which will never happen.

At least Bakshi released his within a reasonable amount of time.

My sides.

Except his idea that you can reasonably expect people to give money to a petulant dick who misses deadlines and doesn't play well with others indefinitely.

That he's kind of wrong on.

Did 20 years history of being bad with deadlines not tip you off before?

I was content to help out another artist and Kickstarter was in its early days. I haven't backed that many projects since his. Ralph Bakshi's being the most noted of those. Otherwise I don't even bother going to the website.

this is public! on purpose! he says he knew her when she was 15! john k is some kinda type

Sounds like it.

After all, John praises both animators despite their hatred of each other.

Either way both Jones and John are pretty ego driven. Clampett couldn't give a shit and did what he did best. Too bad he got burned by running to TV thinking he could catch lightning.

Meanwhile you have Avery doing his thing and having a blast of it all. All the while trying to keep the lime light off of himself.

Jones manipulating Avery at a down point in his life was pretty petty of Jones.

i feel so much better about spending 130 on the homestuck kickstarter

well, even then there's still that star wars thing.

90's style was a shit style, to be honest with you, nostalgiafam.

You are like baby.

good thng he is not a surgeon, he is just better than anyone currently working on tv animation.

what did chuck do to tex?

Gave his feed and seed to sneed instead

>When Chuck wrote this "letter," he buddied up to Tex Avery, a great name in animation history, but a man who, at that point in time, was so emotionally distressed over some tragic events in his family life that he became an easy subject for Chuck to manipulate. Chuck got Tex to co-sign this "letter," and to write various marginal notes on it.

You can read the full thing here: michaelbarrier.com/Essays/Milt_Gray/Gray_on_Clampett.htm

Big read. More talk about this situation here: michaelbarrier.com/Essays/JonesAveryLetter/JonesAveryLetter.html

It had to do with the creation of Bugs Bunny.

>Everything Disney sucks
>Everything post 50's/60's sucks
>Everything CGI sucks
>Everything not Bob Clampett sucks
>Everything non-round design sucks
>Everything on model sucks
>Every Japanese animation sucks
>Every high tech, model toy sucks
>Every homemade animation sucks

He's right, he's God, he's the only good animator alive. What a champ, he did so much for the industry, like half of Ren and Stimpy...and... pretty much that

It was a combination of new executives getting in the way and John constantly missing deadlines and going over budget. Both Nick and John were guilty (though John was probably more to blame overall).

This has nothing to do with "feminists". They aren't some omnipresent boogeymen who exist to constantly ruin everyone's lives and fun.

>Every John K. post ever

"Everything wrong with John Doe!

You see , I don't hate John Doe, but HOLY SHIT, he's bad. But he did good things, like those obscure arts I'm picking. Anyway, I'm gonna be redesigning his new art choices, showing how they look so much better. So take you pencil and bear with me, how his new stuff sucks, how should be done and how great I am.
If only the industry could hire me..."

The only thing John needs to do is take note of what Ralph had to say: youtube.com/watch?v=WApcUBcVMos

"Make the stupid picture"

Everybody else is either a talentless weeb or a mindless political mouthpiece; Of course he'll be standing at the top.

It's not the "only" thing he need.
John's political views always gets on his ways of appreciating anything new, at same time his massive ego always sabotages any attempt of a new animation gig. No one wants to work with the guy, and his projects are way too large to do alone, so he always get stuck in the middle

So all he can actually do is moan "I wish it was me..." endless on his blog.

Granted to equally frustrated animators worship him like a god.

John K is a good example of why it's a bad idea to be utterly rigid in your thinking. He's so miserable and has only himself to blame. He refuses to adapt to the changing landscape of animation and seems to resent the entire world for not moving in lockstep with him and his beliefs. I mean, the guy has impressive skills and a wealth of experience, he could really bring a lot of life to modern animation if only he wasn't such a fucking curmudgeon that refuses to learn anything new, so convinced he's already god's perfect gift to the world.

You’re wrong. Say what you want about John K, but he is right to demand more cartoonist-driven shows. Animation is a visual medium it’s why animators make storyboards as opposed to just writing scripts. Animators draw loose gestural drawings representing what each action is going to look like, this is where having a good draftsman is more important than having a good writer. It’s why Tom and Jerry was as funny as it was and why anime scenes are packed full action that are easy to read, as opposed to Family Guy’s style of just having someone sit down with their mouth’s flapping and making shitty edgy jokes. Action oriented comedy and stories are always the best. The reason why the West’s animation tends to look like shit is because there are too many shorty artist drawing scenes where characters just sit and repeat the shitty jokes written by the asshole writers

>he is just better than anyone currently working on tv animation.
At animating stuff in a style that was popular decades ago, sure. Too bad he never bothered to learn anything new so now he's a living fossil. Could've tried passing those skills onto people or experimenting with new technologies, but nope, much better to just stew in his bitter hatred for anything unfamiliar.

I guess thats what happens when you get the world dropped onto your lap.

Ralph had to scrape together as much money as he could and had to work within the limitations he had. Its crazy shit that Ralph had to go through, with plenty of resistance the whole way through.

Compared to what John has done it kind of makes the ground work that Ralph laid kind of moot. It isn't just John though, Ralph was responsible for a lot of animators who went on to create/work on a number of projects Ralph could never dream of working on.

He is right to demand it, but with the way the animation industry is they are extremely resistant to it all. The only way to beat the system is to work outside of it. The executives are meddling in the creation of entertainment more and more. All to be formulaic to make moeny. Rather than be for the artistic merit with the potential of earning money.

>The Japanese know that animation is a VISUAL medium and therefore should have VISUAL thinkers (the artists) at the helm of things
This is completely wrong though. Vast majority of anime start from scripts. Even something adapted from manga or based on some other visual medium are first written out as a script before any story boards are drawn. This has been the way of things for decades, even going back to the "golden age" of anime back in the mid 80s - mid 90s.

Not everything is in extremes. Just because there is a writer doesn't mean it will end up like Family Guy. It can just as easily end up like King of the Hill which John K loves.

And most of your post is proven wrong when you see how absolutely weak the writing is in SU that is storyboard driven and trying to have an ongoing narrative + some action.

>At animating stuff
yes he is better at animation.

What an utterly limited, stilted view of animation. Is it any wonder this mode of thinking fell out of favor if this is how the proponents of it insist it should be done? You completely hamstring any notion of animation being anything but an idle curiosity for bored people by saying scripts don't matter and shouldn't be used to plan stories.