It's been 7 years... were they right?

It's been 7 years... were they right?

Other urls found in this thread:

cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era-29614.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no, people like sugar still create absolute garbage wich is undeniably unique to them.

^

Not particularly. There's a lot of corporate trash out there, but there's also a lot of creator made and driven shows... that are 50% likely to be trash.

Isn't this the same website that got annoyed at Sym Bionic Titan?

Western animations are corporate driven while Japanese are niche driven. Both needs a serious breakdown and build up.

>Cartoon Brew

CartoonBrew

>Being Right about the industry EVER

Nah no such thing.

What

In that one particular case he ended up being right but otherwise hell no.

And probably only because he hounds whoever he can for insider info so he boast about it as an exclusive.

No, the most popular shows of the last 10 years are creator driven. To be fair hindsight is a bitch.

I also didn't loved it. So they are right sometimes.

>CartoonBrew
>Being Right about ANYTHING ever

FTFY

>Animation community is very small and nich.
>Somehow still gets a shitty clickbait website that does nothing but spew liberal propaganda.

>shadman

Um.

Do you guys not know what the OP's article actually was?

This, but I'm still very curious to know what THEY didn't like about it. Anyone got a link?

Savino

It was 7 years ago so I dont think they remember. Maybe its better that way.

No, we just don't give a shit here on Sup Forums. Also it's been given way too much credit for that anyways.

Was Amid right to say that this article owes to the existence of the horse show fandom?

I can't imagine spending energy caring about a very popular cartoon that I don't even like. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you guys?

They got leaked info and forced the investigation to speed up to a firing because now news was public.

The person who leaked the info is an asshole for not letting proper channels finish, but Amid also posted the article. He isn't a hero for that shit. There will always be a doubt of Savino's innocence because HR could not finish their investigation.

Fuck no. Amid is truly delusional. He's the one person everyone on every website from Sup Forums to Tumblr to even people who browse CB themselves can agree: Amid is a tumor who needs to leave CB.

It's about cartoons that are driven by an original source's ideas and whose creative process is heavily dominated by them.

And thus far we've had:
>Adventure Time
>Gravity Falls
>Steven Universe
>Wander Over Yonder

Just to name a few, all shows whose creators were vital to its creation + production and who each had their own directing style. Pen and Sugar preferred to let the crew do their thing, Alex preferred to micro-manage, and Craig liked a balanced collaboration.

That's not what the anons are talking about. Go educate yourself.

Eh, fandom wars I suppose

To be completely honest with you I'm a fan of many cartoons that aren't "creator driven" including MLP so I will preemptively strike out at shows that are "original" that I think are shit

No one in the thread was even talking to OP. Everyone here just ignored the headline and called CB a shit. Only the first poster even addressed it.

What the fuck thread are you reading.

cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/the-end-of-the-creator-driven-era-29614.html

"The Hub, a network owned partly by toy company Hasbro, launched a little over a week ago with new animated series including Strawberry Shortcake’s Berry Bitty Adventures, G.I. Joe: Renegades, and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. The network’s debut closes the curtain on what has commonly been referred to as the creator-driven era of TV animation, which lasted from approximately the early-1990s through the late-2000s. During this two-decade span, the balance of creative control in TV animation favored artists for the first time since the early-1960s, and artists exercised vast influence over the visual style, writing, and overall direction of TV shows. It was a fertile period that spawned dozens of lasting cartoon stars and series, many of which are still as popular today as when they first debuted ten or twenty years ago."

"The erosion of support for creator-driven animation happened gradually but surely, and today networks clearly prefer established properties over original ideas, and dislike dealing with individual artists who have a clear creative vision."

When do we stone Amidi? This man hasn't written a single worthwhile thing in his career, it's just sad.

>Lied and said Roiland abuses his animators and hates that the union gives them benefits
>Called Blue Sky's Peanuts an insult to Schulz and would have him rolling in his grave
>Demanded Loud House get cancelled after the Savino incident and suggested the artists would have an easy time looking for new work
>Called Sausage Party the opening floodgate for adult animated films but then never said shit about the overworked animators controversy (WHICH WAS LITERALLY EXCLUSIVE TO FUCKING CB)
>Prided himself for being the only one to point out that Sugar was CN's first solo woman showrunner to the point where that became her title instead of "Creator of Steven Universe"
>Turned Greenblatt's minor complaints of, "I wish Harvey Beaks would air more" into, "Greenblatt Hates Working for Nickelodeon" that Green in trouble.

I think he realizes being an asshole means more clicks because CB somehow has gained in popularity over the years since Beck's departure.

>Called Blue Sky's Peanuts an insult to Schulz and would have him rolling in his grave
This one hurt me a lot. I loved that film. I've never smiled so hard at a movie before.

I thought it was clear the guy was a fire starting contrarian who made articles that were about the same as baiting shitposts just for clicks and replies.

>writing a post takes energy

It's hard to know because he acts like this in person as well. If you've ever seen him in interviews, he's just as much of a know-it-nothing douchebag. It's also ballsy to just fake having controversial opinions just to make money and have your actual name attached to it.

Most likely is the case is that he's actually retarded like Andrew Dobson.

So he's your typical wiki professor internet knowitall shitposting asshole who HAS to be right at all times and know more than you even when he has shown that he knows nothing.

>What the fuck thread are you reading.
I could ask you the same question, because your version doesn't seem to include or

>fucked over Greenblatt not once but TWICE with two shitflinging clickbait articles that publicized his personal vents

I bet he was the reason Harvey Beaks hasn't finished airing the rest of its episodes in Nick US. Fuck him and fuck everything he does.

Except I responded to the first poster? And my post was talking about what the article meant and why it was wrong?

Did you even read my fucking post?
It was not the end of creator-driven shows because we've still had original ideas with heavy showrunner influence and I listed examples.

In a relative sense he's not wrong. If you compare the nineties to now, there's not nearly as much original stuff taking off. Back then we had Rocko's Modern Life, Swat Cats, the entire Cartoon Cartoon block, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Two Stupid Dogs, and tons of original IP. At this point, we only have a few staples spread across all the networks. Star Vs, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Rick and Morty.

It's not like original ideas are dead and lost to us, but it's not a golden age anymore. I don't think you'd need to be an insider to make a statement like that, though.

It was really Nicktoons and Cartoon Network once they got their Cartoon Cartoon block going. Nick used to have 1-2 new Nicktoons coming out a year every year and CN had at least 1 a year.

Now new Nicktoons never really come about, even though Nickelodeon still has nonstop calls for entries for new Nicktoons every year, and CN is only about 2-3 shows that they run continuously forever.

> there's not nearly as much original stuff taking off
There's not nearly as many productions happening in general. But that's due to a lull in networks losing money thanks to online services. Amid seemed to be phrasing it that it was the end of creator-driven shows as we know it when what's really happening is that we're just in a drought. But I guess, "Short water supply" isn't nearly as interesting as, "Planet Earth has run out of water".

Regardless of whether he knows what he's talking about, it's still curious where we'll wind up in ten years.

When Youtube was a rags-to-riches thing for creative minds to flourish, I thought it might take over entertainment by providing a platform for creative people to grow independently. Fast forward, and every successful channel looks exactly the same and none of them require real skills to create. Most just need a handsome face to talk about the latest fad, and an editor from the Phillipines to add cuts between thousands of awkward pauses.

Cable is declining, Netflix is growing, but it's too soon to say if services like Amazon Prime and Netflix are really the future of entertainment. Especially where it comes to animation.

>Back then we had Rocko's Modern Life, Swat Cats, the entire Cartoon Cartoon block, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Two Stupid Dogs, and tons of original IP. At this point, we only have a few staples spread across all the networks. Star Vs, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Rick and Morty.

There were just as many "corporate" shows back then, from Street Sharks to Extreme Dinosaurs to Biker Mice to Beast Wars to Beast Machines to any capeshit to Mighty Max to Creepy Crawlers to whatever

We just had more cartoons in general, so that point is moot

People tried to like it, they got slapped on the face with 20+ Townies episodes and now dislike it.

Fans liked it, then they got hit with 20+ Townies episodes and now are disappointed.

Hypejumpers liked it after lapiz and jailbreak, sadly the show is anticlimactic at it's core and always blueballs satisfying results for your average viewer, not even for the this doesn't fit my fanon so I hate it but your average viewer that just wants entertainment.

The show could be great but in general it's just mediocre and it gets Janky on not only it's pacing and off model shenanigans but on scene composition and it's bizarre need to put music on the forefront and weird need to have people sing, cry or sing while crying to create the illusion of dramatic character development.

It's a mess, a bad of mixed disappointment with a sigh of could have been good, people tried to like it but couldn't.

This one isn't just fandom wars smearing shit on each other, or simple hate. It's actually valid criticism from the viewers.

Typing a few sentences is strenuous exercise for the hambeasts who love Steven Universe.