Is there another example of a comic book adaptation just completely butchering the story and arcs of the thing it's...

Is there another example of a comic book adaptation just completely butchering the story and arcs of the thing it's based on? I don't mean simply a bad adaptation (there have been worse) I mean something trying to retell the story it was based on but fucks up in every regard of doing it.

Batman vs Superman comes to mind, trying to cram Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman into a single movie (that is supposed to be the START of a franchise, not the end of it) with hints of Injustice and completely failing at doing either stories justice or even just being a good movie period.

And yet there are anons on Sup Forums that defend it

Does the awful Iron Man 2 and its way of tackling Demon in a Bottle count?

At this point I don't even treat comic adaptations as adaptations so much as just an additional universe to add to the ever growing list of bullshittery and assorted elseworlds/what ifs. Saves me a good deal of pain, since I no longer tear out my hair over it.

>The year of our lord 2017
>Giving a shit about Barry Allen's character
He was a shit character even before he was killed off in Crisis.

CW has so little respect for comic adaptations they started a whole fucking show to parody themselves and their ability adapt comics.

I don't understand why Sup Forums always complains about this show hating the source material.
Barry was in costume since day 1, the villains he fights are always in costume, they use stupid ass names like "Weather Wizard" and the whole thing is full of time travel and talking gorrilas and other cape nonesense.
It obviously loves the source material. The only way it could be more like a comic was if it were a cartoon.

The show doesn't hate the source material, it just doesn't adapt it well.

For clarification, an adaptation can be a good story on its own and still be a shitty adaptation. The CW is basically a homage at this point.

Movies or series adaptation is what 4kids is to anime.

>trying to cram Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman into a single movie
But that's not what they did. They told a completely new story with elements taken from those others, regardless of how well or poor anyone might think they told their story. It wasn't about being a 1:1 adaptation.

I'm really baffled by how rigidly people view capeshit. Like all media is made to serve a single continuity, and we're just supposed to expect that every franchise just tells the same exact stories over and over, and if they do anything differently then it's stupid because it's not the same.

Its clear you never read the comics
>Pied piper becomes good because time travel bs making him good instead of character development
>Barry gets stuck in the time force buy comes back next ep instead of 30 years later
>Speed force is introduced way too early and isn't something to fear.
>Rogues never actually team up

Except they never try to be faithful at all

>>Speed force is introduced way too early and isn't something to fear.
The speedforce, 4 seasons in, is still pretty clearly something to fear. Literally every time it shows up its in an antagonistic role. It nearly broke Central City 3 fucking times, killed Zoom, then trapped Jay, Wally and Barry in its purgatory. It's also still widely unpredictable and not understood. They kind of glossed over what actually happened to Barry's memory before Iris fixed it but it very clearly wasn't anything natural.

Any normie who knew nothing about the speedforce outside of the CW would know it's not to be fucked with.
>>Rogues never actually team up
Top and Mirror did, Cold and Heatwave did. Plus this season is very obviously setting up to be a bunch of rogues working together.

It also sent the Black Flash and killed Thawne for the final time.

Speedforce is top tier spooks.

>on Sup Forums
See that's your first mistake. We're not like the sophisticated and elegant/tv/.

you say it like it's a bad thing

>I don't understand why Sup Forums always complains about this show hating the source material.
me neither.
the show is fun and comicbooky, it has it's faults, but it is definately inspired by the Flash comics
they steal all the best wally elements and waste them on Barry, but still
i dont think it's Barry's character so much as EVERYTHING ELSE

They used some elements from those stories, there was never any attempt to directly adapt either story, dummy.

>it just doesn't adapt it well.

Because it's on CW and they do 23 episodes per season There are limits to what they can do. At least they've gone the extra mile to do things like King Shark and Grodd as full CGI characters.

even LoT with it's shortened episode list (more budget for effects) still isn't enough to give consistent good effects (or even consistent firestorm appearances).

I know more level headed Lucifer fans admit that for the TV show to be comic accurate it needs millions per episode just for the effects alone.

I think the complaints are mostly because we get stuff like no large group of organized Rogues, the West family is black, villains like the Top, Dr Alchemy and the Rival etc are completely different from their comics selves, and so on. Everyone knows the show has limitations, but they didn't have to make those particular choices.

Nothing is ever an adaptation. I'm sure Thor 3 will be entertaining enough but the Lionsgate Thor animated extended features were better than both the first two movies and I'm not someone who hated the first movie, like most here.

Likewise, MoS isn't an adaptation of either Birthright or Bryne's Men of Steel mini or his initial post COIE run, it just lifts elements from both and shoehorns shit from the Donnerverse and various other places.

I don't read Marvel so I don't know how good or how bad the MCU adapts things but I've read enough Brubaker cap to know that TWS is a very loose adaptation of those as well, primarily ideas without details and entire beats.

You have to assume that they are all different things. Even those things with which I am very familiar with the source material AND where they were done by WB Animation so people who were both more attached to the source material and with access to the DC editorial and writers, those adaptations can be considered to be fucked up to one extent or another (Superman/Batman Public Enemy, or Justice League The New Frontier). And this is for a variety of reasons only some of which (giving Batgod the Captain Atom hero moment which was purely a Bruce Timm - as he himself has admitted - decision) are due to the adaptation and choices made thereon, but mostly it's a time and cost consideration issue.

As a few other anons here have suggested, some of you just need to chill and relax or stick to the source material and ignore even the animated adaptations.

The Priest movie based on the comic changed the story from a western cowboy fallen priest traveling the wild west dealing with fallen angels and undead minions to a post apocalyptic setting about a member of an order that fights vampires that have taken over the world in a vampire apocalypse.

>the West family is black

The West family is black due to Jesse L. Martin and he's been consistently good in the show.

All of those shitty movies and shows.
They're all cancer.

Yeah I literally don't give a shit about Black Wests because CopDad is probably the best Dad in the show and in fact across most shows I've seen recently. Jesse L. Martin is a treasure.

Villains get changed all the time in adaptations.

The Cybersix live action.

Iron Fist and Spider-Man Homecoming easily comes to mind

MCU Thor

MCU spiderman as well

These and Inhumans.

Nate and Ray are really the best part of the show, even if they are diet Booster and Beetle with powerset kind of swapped

Too bad he hasa deathflag every season.

I am pissed because we will never get a adaptation of The Human Race which is the best story of the series

Is comic Wally black because of the show or vice versa?

Yeah, totally, that's why they called it "The Dark Knight Returns to bring about The Death of Superman".

Shut the fuck up you painfully casual faggot. An adaptation is an adaptation, not a fucking series of shots and nods. It's literally in name (and one would think content) taking something and transferring it to a different medium.

I really hate to have to bring Marvel in to this but when they've literally "adapted" things and completely disregarded everything about them how can someone sit here and say including nods to panels and costumes makes something a worse adaptation? Not even just Disney Marvel, Fox too with Apocalypse.

Because make no mistake, that IS what you said as that IS what this thread is about.

Killing Barry off was the only thing that could have redeamed the show. I doubt we are getting a Return of Barry Allen out of it

For all of its faults, the Flash is a tv series that devoted multiple arcs to a villain that is a talking psychic gorilla. It's hard for me to buy the argument that it doesn't respect the source material enough with that in mind.

Barry having grown up with Iris and basically being her foster brother just seems so... weird.

So because Groot is a tree you obviously think Guardians is a pretty faithful series too, right?

Blue Atom and Booster Silver

Their personality are swapped too. Ray is the childish one having fun, Nate is the knowledgeable serious one.

If your page implies Flashpoint then would you say it's a bad thing that it was butchered, considering the original story is absolute garbage?

I just don't understand why Wally had to Iris' brother and not her nephew like in the comics, let alone base him off nu52 Wally whom most of the fanbase can't stand. Why couldn't he have been an adopted white redheaded cousin again? He would've related to Barry a lot more being adopted too.

Calm down at the end of the day it's still a 3/10 movie

You have to have black people in anything superheroes now for some reason.

And yet we still don't have a Static Shock sitcom

That was IM3. Stark was still a cocky, arrogant asshole, rather then just an asshole in IM2

He has been, and the complaint isn't that he's there. It just isn't a very faithful adaptation.

>the villains he fights are always in costume
Most of the villains the Flash encounters look no different from the models-turned-actors that pool into the CW cuz they don't have the acting chops to be anywhere else

Batman v Superman
The X-men movies
Every Fantastic Four movie from Fox (Roger Corman's FFS was cheesy enough to at least be endearing by comparison)
The Doctor Strange TV movie
The Captain America TV movies. Especially the first one
Howard the Duck
The Captain America movie serial from the 1940s. He wasn't even Steve Rogers, Super Soldier, he was a lawyer Grant Gardner
Both 1940s Batman serials. The Batmobile was just Bruce Wayne's car. They had a Bat's Cave, but mostly just parked right in front of Bruce Wayne's suburban house and walked in the front door. In full view of the neighbors.

As bad as CW Flash was last year and the year before that, it's practically Hitchcock compared to some of these superhero attempts.

I don't get why people want exactly the same turned into a movie anyway. It's better being it's own thing and it's on universe. Plenty of comics do dumb stupid shit in the original stories. Civil War was an awful bloated contrived story arc and the movie handled it better. But fans be like "that's not what really happened" None of it really happened you fuckwads.

I dont know what kind of bad you want..

But i watched the green lantern movie.

I cant even explain that to you!

Because the stories that get adapted should be the good ones. Changing a good story normally makes it not good.

Is there a BvS defender's bingo?

Instead of doing something new they cannibalized several other stories and didn't do justice to either.

what are you talking about?
Sinestro movie is awesome!

shame about the jordan parts.

There is!

I think your problem is that you're misunderstanding their goal. These shows and movies are purposely trying not to retell the story completely. It will have similarities and influences from comics but never a word-for-word "adaption." For a plethora of reasons including the comic story is less normie-accessable, just plain shit, or too complex for a short timeframe/ budget, and also having an original story for comic readers to enjoy and not see the twists coming so that you can enjoy it as a first time viewer. It's all-around better for everyone.

>Their goal
TO make a bad show?

Comic wally (Nu52 Wally) was black. The show came out after Nu52 launched. They've been taking things from all of flashes history. I actually dont mind Black wally in the show, I just wish his character had more to do or better yet, was more interesting. As annoying as Iris is, she's still a character presence in the show. Wally is just there. It doesnt help that he's basically spare hit points in a goofy costume.
Seriously, How does someone fucking super speed Job so much?
Its like Im watching Bleach all over again.

Yeah, if you're gonna write a fight scene where Wally does LITERALLY NOTHING, like with the technomancer guy, then you're better off NOT HAVING WALLY THERE AT ALL, at least you wouldn't be purposefully stating "look everyone, Wally's completely fucking worthless!"

Oh god I fucking loved that fight because as soon as I saw wally was there too my brain immediatly produced the idea,'I wonder how long until wally eats i-" And then he gets iron maned right in the fucking chest after STARING AT BARRY AS A REPULSOR APPEARS IN BARRYS FUCKING HAND. How the fuck do you even do this?

This implies the source material being adapted was good. Which is not a given, and some would say is in fact a rarity.

>skwad will be good
>ww was good
This needs to be fixed. Maybe change to skwad cell to something like "make up is a real oscar"?

Don't think there's anything inherently wrong with altering a villains backstory. It's just that none of them are any good.

The premise of Savitar being a future Barry who went down the wrong path is fine for me personally, it's just the execution was fucking awful. Same for Dr Alchemy. In fact, I don't think there's being a villain introduced outside of season 1 that was any good.

>The premise of Savitar being a future Barry who went down the wrong path
It's not even that though.
It's a speedforce clone of future barry who was created to fight a speedforce clone of future barry, with the knowledge that fighting a speedforce clone of future barry will lead to a speedforce clone of future barry being created and killing iris. I think they just got too tangled in their own writing at some point.

I hate both CW Barry and CW Oliver adamantly. They're both shitty representations of each character, and both cater to teenage girls who are impressed by shitty writing

>Comic wally (Nu52 Wally) was black. The show came out after Nu52 launched
Black Wally didn't exist in comics until right before show wally was announced by which point Papa West was already black so they assumed Wally would be as well.
Whoever was writing after Manapul said several times they were trying to be closet to the show