Do any comic book urban legends exist? Like a comic that caused strange symptoms on people or something?

Do any comic book urban legends exist? Like a comic that caused strange symptoms on people or something?

If not, let's create one in this thread

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-history/
archive.is/KRtDE
lostmediawiki.com/Batman_:_A_Death_In_The_Family_-_"Jason_Todd_lives"_(Unpublished_Alternate_Comic_Book_Story,_Existence_Unconfirmed;_1988)
donkramerart.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Kramer
articles.latimes.com/1997/aug/29/news/mn-27069
youtube.com/watch?v=mp-XkXqQNdg
youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-j144WEho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No such comic legend exists but I’d be surprised if a CreepyPasta didn’t already exist for one.

Like a hero centric one about someone fighting gradually more and more gruesome obstacles in settings that seem to be getting a little TOO familiar.

Most of the rumors surrounding comics are about con drama, like deconick cucking fagtion, or bendis paying black males to let him "do stuff with their feet", or amanda conner being a swinger (though that one is all but confirmed).

I'm watching those daily AVGN videos too. They're pretty spooky, huh?

I heard some really dumb shit once that pic related is cursed or something. Probably bullshit, I mean, it's just another gay meta story, right? I wouldn't even bother reading it. Just don't do it.

Someone should write a creepypasta about a guy who read a comic and became more and more unhinged after reading it, and even experienced nausea, heavy vomiting, night terrors and memory loss to the point of constantly asking people to repeat what they just said, and then the twist is that it's a Bendis comic

>Just don't do it.
you don't have to tell me twice, i fucking won't
do cursed movies based on Sup Forums properties count, like the crow or the dark knight

Don't forget that time Byrne and/or Claremont had a hooker dressed as Storm peg them. That's an ancient one.

instead of a comic why not a mysterios comic book shop, something like that show where you buy some sort of haunted item

Not really. The closest thing we have to a lost comic is that there's rumored to be an alternate ending to Batman: A Death in the Family where Jason lives, just in case the readers voted that way. Although if such a thing does exist it was never published.

Having come up in comics during the days of the black and white boom of the late 80s though, where literally anybody could get a comic published, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some sketchy or fucked up stories behind them. A lot of those comics felt like fever dreams to begin with. Like I remember reading an ultraviolent comic where a guy kills this girl's boyfriend and then pulls her into an alley and rapes her. Afterwards she has basically been won over by him and asks him out, but he kills her anyway. That was the whole comic. Why the fuck would anybody make a comic like that?

>Do any comic book urban legends exist?

Yes. Many of them. CBR used to have a weekly column about it.

One time I found a gum wrapper on the playground and I opened it up and found a nickel inside. That has nothing to do with comics or urban legends, but I though I'd share.

Does Dave Sim count as a comic book urban legend?

Grant Morrison supposedly used The Invisibles as a hypersigil starring himself, and when he made his self-insert get sick he got super sick in real life. Then he gave him a spicy redhead gf in the comic and apparently got one irl but it didnt work out.

Ultra is def haunted, the "Do it. Slave." part showed up to me during a bad acid trip one time and it really fucked me up, made me give up comics for a while.

how is the dark knight haunted?

cartoonists who died in accidents like Alex Raymond cartoonists who killed themselves like jack cole

peeps say it was cursed because Heath Ledger dying

What does the curse entail?

sadly i threw away all the comics i've ever made.
could have been some good creepy pasta material

Here you go, cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-history/

Mostly more mundane gossipy stuff, and the website itself is a piece of junk, but enjoy.

archive that trash

BASED ON A REAL STORY

Heath's death caused blood magic to happen and all of Morrison's predictions are coming to life

actually i take it back, not creepy pasta but major cringe i used to post here

Since that user didn't

archive.is/KRtDE

There's another rumor that their WASN'T a call contest. Apparently Jason was even hated within editorial and the creators wanted a scapegoat to kill him off without them having to shoulder the infamy.

That is legit the first thing I thought of.

The one I heard is that there was a phone contest but a guy cheated and used a program to dial the number automatically and that's how Jason got killed.

I was high as shit when i read this the first time and it kinda weirded me out...

>Cole killed himself on August 13, 1958. R. C. Harvey described it as "one of the most baffling events in the history of cartooning". Cole was living at 703 Silver Lake Road in Cary, Illinois, about 40 miles northwest of Chicago, and told his wife at about two in the afternoon that he was picking up the mail and the newspapers. Driving his Chevrolet station wagon to Dave Donner's Sport Shop in nearby Crystal Lake, he purchased a .22 caliber, single-shot Marlin rifle. He phoned a neighbor between 5:15 and 5:30 pm to say what he was doing, and for the neighbor to tell Dorothy. Parked on a gravel road west of the intersection of Illinois Routes 176 and 14, Cole was found by three boys at approximately 6 pm, shot in the head but still alive. A McHenry County sheriff's deputy arrived and called for an ambulance ten minutes later. Cole died at nearby Woodstock Hospital at 6:45 pm

Anything else like this?

Source LostWiki:
>"It has been claimed (and denied by DC from the start) that the vote was pure theater, and that Jason Todd was to die no matter what. While the vote's outcome was close (no outside vetting has been done, and now seems unlikely), Batman veteran writer Denny O'Neil has posited that this was due to some readers thinking they were voting on the fate of Dick Grayson, and that the vote absent this would have been heavily in favor of killing off Jason Todd. Others say that, wishing to nudge the outcome their way, DC staffers flooded the phone banks in favor of Jason's death. Whatever the truth of these rumors and speculation, DC may have ended up feeding this frenzy by how it has handled"

>"The only evidence of an alternate comic is a page published in Batman Annual #25. This issue, which was related to Jason's 2000s return, shows Batman with Jason, who here is still alive. This page was included in a reprint of the Death in The Family story claiming to be "[...]an alternative final page for the lost chapter of A DEATH IN THE FAMILY in case the fans decided to save Robin[...] not see[ing] print until the release of Batman Annual #25". However, some believe that this scene was crafted well after the fact to kill the endless rumors."

lostmediawiki.com/Batman_:_A_Death_In_The_Family_-_"Jason_Todd_lives"_(Unpublished_Alternate_Comic_Book_Story,_Existence_Unconfirmed;_1988)

>episode of a cartoon show where a character buys a haunted comic book from a shady place and it's evil so the characters get sucked into it and are almost killed by a villain
Nope, not ringing any bells.

Raymond's death
>On September 6, 1956, Raymond was killed in an automobile accident in Westport, Connecticut. Driving fellow cartoonist Stan Drake's 1956 Corvette at twice the 25 mph (40 km/h) speed limit, he hit a tree and was killed. Roberts describes in his biography the circumstances as a result of the weather. Driving in the convertible with its top down, Raymond decided to reach his destination quicker rather than stop to put the top back up when rain started to fall. Drake was thrown clear of the crash, but Raymond, with his seat belt buckled, died instantly. Speculation surrounds the nature of his death, with some, Drake included, believing Raymond was suicidal. Raymond had been involved in four automobile accidents in the month prior to his death, which led Drake to say Raymond "had been trying to kill himself".

You got it nigga

Not a program he used an autodialer machine thinger... but yeah thats the 80s comic version of people brigading and pushing online polls and whatnot today, ala Boaty McBoatface.

Mark Grunwald, who wrote Captain America for 11 years, took one of the unreleased versions of Rob Liefeld's Captain America issues home with him, and didn't come in on Monday, because he died of a heart attack

>unreleased versions of Rob Liefeld's Captain America

What are you talking about? He picked up the actual first issue that was published.

Boy I hope not, that would make this signed book a farce.

That part of Ultra fell flat for me because not only do I not "hear" voices when I read them I was also reading it digitally.

Plus it's generally agreed upon that one of, if not THE, last thing that he did was read that comic.

OH Shit! I REMEMBER NOW!!!
back then here on Sup Forums some fag from /x/ was posting some shitty furry comic he found from seeing it thrown away by some skinhead.
he said if we guessed right what would happen in the next page he'd continue posting the comic, but alot of us told him to stop being a fag and just storytime it.
anyway, a lot of us didn't play along with his bullshit but some managed to get him to post all the pages.
it was just a really cringey action/horror comic drawn with ballpoint pens and yellow highlighter,drawings of a dragon vomiting blood and some gay villain that looked like lord stingray from superjail being put in a bag like a ghost from ghost busters.
The comic wasn't complete though, some of the pages were torn out, but back then i saved all the images and would sometimes shitpost the comic here or mainly Sup Forums way back then, but i deleted it cause i was tired of having it.
the title said something "unknown fool" something

I was told it was one they had printed in the office that he took home with him before it hit the stands.

Oh man, someone storytimed that series a few months ago and it was incredibly bad.
This is the first page he would have seen (besides the cover)

No wonder he died

Maybe it was before the release, but it wasn't some "unreleased version".

Thanks for sharing.

uhm... why doesn't Cap have a face?

Now that I think about it, has there ever been an incident where an "insider" like a company man or comic artist, writer, who mysteriously disappeared or died due to suspicious circumstances, with some believing he may "have known too much"

The day Ultra comics came out my first client at work was listed as "T. Gentry". That book is fucked.

Thing is, Grunwald was a Marvel NUT. He made the encyclopedia of Marvel. He knew all the continuity. He was a former editor til his coworkers convinced him to actually write, which lead to Squadron Supreme and the Captain America run that gave us things like Crossbones and the Serpent Society. When Marvel was doing poorly in the 90's, he was put under a lot of stress, forced to lay off workers which coworkers admitted he took very hard.
And yeah, one weekend he went home and died of a heart attack.

There's even a story where Grunwald and Mark Waid would sit across during conventions and one would shout out an event that happened in a series, and the other would shout out which number issue it was.

I'm not too sure about him knowing too much, but there was a guy who was doing the art for Wonder Woman Odyssey who just completely disappeared from the industry right after finishing it. His website is still up, and mentions his "current" projects like WW:O and Johns JSA

That's really sad. That last part sounds like he was a really cool dude. I'm kinda glad he passed so he doesn't have to see Marvel in its current state. I hope it was painless

Name n Sauce?
Sauce of their work?

>the new 52 rebooted don kramer out of existence

donkramerart.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Kramer
MIA since 2011, maybe the New52 did retcon him

Want to hear something cool? He had his ashes mixed into ink for the first printing of the Squadron Supreme trade

Honestly, most comic creators lives end so sadly that you don't need to make up creepy stories about them.

That's complete fucking bullshit.

It's kind of eerie. Usually most artists get work from the competition or make concepts to help get their work out there like on twitter or facebook or something, yet their is no mention of him ANYWHERE. Not at Marvel, DC, Image, nowhere. My only guess is that he pissed off someone big in 2011 that ruined his career, like that one asshat who inserted those Anti-semetic messages into the artwork for X-Men: Gold.

That's right
>For much of his adult life, Wood suffered from chronic, unexplainable headaches. In the 1970s, following bouts with alcoholism, Wood suffered from kidney failure. A stroke in 1978 caused a loss of vision in one eye. Faced with declining health and career prospects, he committed suicide by gunshot in Los Angeles three years later. Toward the end of his life, an embittered Wood would say, according to one biography, "If I had it all to do over again, I'd cut off my hands."

Could be a story about Big Numbers

>after Watchmen, Alan Moore came up with better ideas on how to exploit sequential art and push it even further
>he enlisted Bill Sienkiewicz as the only artist crazy enough to follow on it
>the comic was heavily based on fractal mathematics and gnostic "as above, so below" concepts
>he created a chart on a single piece of A1 paper detailing the whole story and characters
>Neil Gaiman was shown the chart once and got a migraine just from looking at it
>two issues were made
>Bill never finished the third
>he suggested a student of his, Al Columbia, to complete the comic
>Al started working on issue 3, but also never finished it
>nobody knows why
>rumour is he finished the comic, then burned it (though later he denied this)
>Alan Moore gave up on the comic
>tried to develop it as a tv series, but that project also fell through
>after three fails, Moore abandoned it

I was thinking of Wally when I posted that. To be the most influential person in your medium, the person the truly great ones looked at for inspiration, and to die penniless in an apartment smaller than an average bedroom.

He didn't finish it because he didn't want to draw in someone else's style. And he didn't burn it that's just something retarded moorefags made up

articles.latimes.com/1997/aug/29/news/mn-27069
>NEW YORK — The late Marvel Comics editor Mark Gruenwald got his wish: His ashes were blended with ink and made into a comic book.

>"This is something that he really wanted because he really loved comics. He wanted to be part of his work in a very real sense," said Mark Harras, Marvel's editor in chief.

>The ashes of Marvel's senior executive editor were mixed at a printing plant in Canton, Ohio, for use in "Squadron Supreme," a reprint of a limited edition 1985 comic he wrote, Harras said Thursday.

>The book will be out this week in comic book stores and next month in other bookstores.

>Though Gruenwald's death last August in Pawling, N.Y., was unexpected, his desire that his ashes be made part of a comic book was known to many people, including his widow, Catherine.

>Gruenwald was 42 when he died of a heart attack.

>As a top editor at Marvel, Harras said, Gruenwald supervised some of the company's biggest titles, including "Captain America" and "The Avengers."

Yeah. I'm just saying the ingredients for a good creepypasta could be found in that whole ordeal. Liberties will abound, of course, but it might do

Cronin still writes them, you just have to make sure it's an article written by him.

I wish he'd bail on that stupid site already. CBR has turned into a bigger shithole than I thought it would be.

He did Cemetery Girl with Charlene Harris in 2014 and is listed as a cover artist for the Nightwing Convergence variant.

Don't fall asleep while reading Sandman.
Under no circumstances should your unconscious head come in contact with Neil Gaiman's creation.

Eh it's late at night, i'll try to write a creepypasta:
>Be me
>Go into an antique store and look at some old comics
>Decide to buy an old common issue of 1960s Cap America.
>look it up and find out it's virtually worthless, decide to open it up for shits n giggles.
>There's a another comic stuck to it
End pt. 1

Better version

If you get some early 90s backissues or scans thereof, he was also a regular in the Bullpen cartoons.

Also, he made this atrocious cable access sketch show with other Marvel staffers in the 80s- youtube.com/watch?v=mp-XkXqQNdg
youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-j144WEho

Not a Big Two guy or anything, but the guy who did the Minus webcomic just completely fucking disappeared a while after he finished it.

Yeah, I'd just stopped following it a long time ago because the actual site just kept getting worse and worse.

pt. 2
>The issue is in pristine condition and yet it looks very odd.
>The issue is titled "Captain America: The Battle for Marvel" with a very morose looking Captain America looking at the reader.
>The comic is done none other than Jack Kirby.
> In essence, the comic starts off in the heat of battle with Captain America fighting a veiled villain with round appendages for ears.
>Captain America decides to call in EVERYONE to fight this threat.
>Enter X-Men, FF4, Avengers, hell even the Inhumans.
>At the end Captain America and friends manages to defeat the villain with Captain America giving a rousing speech.
>"As long as humanity continues to persevere, as long as we never forget who we are, we shall continue to fight for what is right, for we are HEROES".
>In the ending margins there is what appears to by small writing.
> At least I kept my soul you ratfucks

Holy shit that's dedication.
I honestly don't know how one could top that, just wow.

That can be the start of a creepypasta: The Haunted Squadron Supreme Trade!

Satoru Iwata's blessing is literally in every Switch.

Sup Forums killed a man over Legend of Korra S2 leaks, iirc.

Can you give me a quick rundown

I don't recall anything of it beyond some potential leaks before S2 aired/right as it was to premiere and the supposed leaker who was going to dump some episodes suddenly vanishing. Someone's gotta have screencaps.

Too good for this sinful Earth

Wasn’t there a comic about those kids finding his body and a bunch of Plastic Man books?

what about the shit sold in the back of old comics? X-ray specs and all that horseshit.

Like someone sends a postcard to from an old comic and gets the item? I think I read something like that before

spider man clone saga melted alot of peoples brains back in the mid 90s

I don't know about direct comic book, but Lynda Carter, who would later go on to play Wonder Woman in the TV series, was originally slated to play Miss May, the Playboy centerfold, in the film Apocalypse Now, but got a call a week before, where she got the part of Wonder Woman. Apparently they made a centerfold of her, yet it hasn't surfaced yet, with the one pictured possibly being a fake.

Give it a couple years and there'll be a land fill of Marvel comics just like the E.T. games.

This post is a gentry plot. They want it to make you read the comic

I would say it's not so much con drama as people in general.
Nothing much of the sort of thing in the op.

That's just things that happened.
Now thos sounds like an urban legend

>hay guise you're reading a comic book!
I hate this kind of banal meta stuff. No shit, Mr. Genius Artist but so the fuck what?

ALL the military stuff is wrong but somehow the planes seem most wrong of all to me.

Though even 1940s US soldiers having those weird skinny boxy guns he draws is an honorable mention.

That's because the planes don't look like planes. Those noses are just wrong

If there are variations of the story going around thats what makes it exactly the sort of shit op is after.

That's because they appear to be poorly drawn Bell X-1 jets with propellers added to them.

>This post is a gentry plot. They want it to make you read the comic
How can that be, they wouldn't want you to read that, that comic involves their defeat. That's not what the Gentry would want.
Go on, read the comic. Do it. Slave.

Sounds about right. No elevators either for some reason

Spooky

Do haunted and abandoned theme parks count?