SEQUEL
WHEN

Fuck you for reminding me this exists!

O V A T A R
N
G

This coffee is great!

In hell

when convolutional neural nets are advanced enough to convert animation into live action

>be shyamalan
>need an easy break to get popular again
>pretend you're a huge fan of the show to the point where you offer commentary on the dvds
>massive rabid fanbase ready to see it
>fuck up the casting
>twice
>hire child actors that can't act and show an inability to properly direct them
>smash an entire season into one movie
>fuck up so badly that cash cow movie blockbuster series is dead after one movie

And to think that all those Harry Potter wannabes managed to get more than one movie and this one couldn't because it was that bad.

>smash an entire season into one movie
people always bring that up, even though it isn't a real problem if you do it right, and there are several methods to do it.
The first, most obvious and for some reason most directors don't do it: Make it a longer movie. Just look at Lord of the Rings, it's also a travel/adventure story, but by making it each movie so long, it doesn't feel cramped.
Or simply take away the "travel" aspect of the story. It's a good element of the show, but not a necessary one. If you want your movie to be under 2 hours, just take that away and give the heroes a clear start and goal to begin with, without any "let's go this place, then go to that one, and then this one before finally going to the last place"

and i might add, a certain horse movie also suffered because of the very same reason(among others).

Converting TV shows and books into movies are very different processes.
It's easier to convert a book to a movie because they're different mediums. For example, a book can spend forever describing a scene (Christ knows Tolkein loved letting you know how green the grass and leaves were) whereas a movie can establish that in one shot.
TV already conforms to the same basic principles as cinema, so it's much harder to convert the story 1-to-1 without it feeling rushed.

That said, the runtime of TLA was never going to be sufficient for its content.

the show was filled with filler, which is not a problem, as it is a longer series and they are allowed to do filler. If you were to remove that, plus remove some unnessery side characters and plots, you can put any arc of any show into a movie. Otherwise making movies under 2 hours would be impossible altogether, not just for adaptions of longer series. You just need to know what to focus on and what to cut.

>tfw heard about this last year
>think woah they a made movie wtf how have I never heard of this
>see that it was made a while ago
>huh why haven't there been a sequel
>oh cool that one guy is directing who did those movies people like
>watch it
Reboot now

I still don't know how this went so wrong on so many levels. Did they just think it was easy money even if it flopped? Did Shamalamadingdong pitch the move THAT well to get apparently no interference in making this shitheap? I remember seeing a behind the scenes thing before this came out, saw the kid playing Aang and saw him laughing and happy on the set and thought 'hey, good casting.' Then find out Shamwow forced the kid to be dour and straightfaced the whole time.

I remember them promising to cast an actual asian girl as Toph

shame we'll never see how that turned out

also we might have gotten our first Toph action figure

This movie was made 7 years ago. The kid that played Aang is now 20 years old.

He could have been a great Aang. He looked the part.

>I still don't know how this went so wrong on so many levels

Shamalyingman.

cartoon show when

>poor_quality_bait.webm

>Did they just think it was easy money even if it flopped?

I think that it *did* make money.

kind of cute

My favourite episode of the We Hate Movies podcast was their episode on The Last Airbender. Because they declared that this was THE worst movie they had ever done (although I think it was usurped by Ultraviolet).

It was just a solid episode, and it wasn't that long ago. It was the best episode so far this year.

The cast is too old now even if there was a possibility of this happening.

The movies could have been 4 movies instead of three. Even Harry Potter needed an extra movie for it's adaptations.

Hell Season 1 could have been split into 2 movies or more

go back

trying to fit a television season's worth of plot, characters, and arcs into a single movie is the first mistake