/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #416

I keep falling asleep Edition

Welcome to yet another thread of How's Your Webcomic?, where we discuss our sorrows and share the joys of making comics mostly for free.

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
tobecontinuedcomic.com/season-0/episode-1
witchwayswitch.com
prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/1896-yanderedev-evaxephon/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Working on the concept for Banana Monkey. A murder mistery story with satirical elements

Keep an eye out for pages 2 and 3 of Witchway's Witch, coming soon™

tapas.io/series/witchwayswitch

Late as hell, but if you're going to draw inspiration don't just take the author's poses wholesale. Anyone who's read One Piece knows you're referencing Luffy hard here. Try to work on the generalized idea and style you found inspiring, not carrying over the original creator's quirks.

Looks interesting; like the way you sketched the bones. Hope to see more soon.

soon™

Tried to do this panel two more times again. Dont feel satisfied. So ill probably try again tonight.

Take a picture of yourself in the pose.

I just saw the stuff mable posted in the last thread, ga-damn your improving a bunch!

Is that supposed to be the exact same moment in different angles? Because she's holding the soap bar in a different way in both. Also on the left, his thumb is almost the same lenght than his fingers.

I have to admit, Luffy was definitely my first choice for reference when I needed to think of how to draw a punch volley, but id chalk that up to not knowing many punch volley attacks, I can think of saitama and jojo having them, but they are drawn a lot more realistically. I don't know any Sup Forums material with punch volley ether, but I don't read many Sup Forums material.

I've been forcing myself to not use OP as a reference, since people think It was influencing my art too much, but broke that rule for the punch volley.

not really trying to defend myself here since it's true oda's stuff influences my stuff a lot, but I think my recent work is influenced a lot more by hero aca, or takeshi obata. I had a couple people think pam was deku when they see my notebooks.

thanks babe, I got a new tablet, and drafting pages on a screen is much better than an empty surface, feels much more like i'm drawing on paper.

let this be the last

>I was saying DIE to the /ic/ bullies
and this is why people "bully" you

I'm curious about what other people might think of this, if anything because it was "something" when it came out here in Italy.
Linking the first episode because the structure of the website is not the most efficient or clear.

tobecontinuedcomic.com/season-0/episode-1

It took three years to get it done, started way more "experimental" (please allow weird plugins and such, or the early episodes won't work very well if at all, and on mobile it's basically undreadable) and interesting, then settled in a nice story but nothing too unusual or mindblowing.

Not mine, BTW. As I said, I'm just curious about other people's opinions.

I like the artstyle and the way the scroll works, but
>capeshit
Too similar to my hero academia

The only thing I like is the title, wish someone different came up with that first because its kinda wasted on this.

this is reallly well drawn

Posted at the end of the last thread
weird to know it's the last time I'll be drawing most of these outfits. They've been around since back when these threads were actively doing activities and I drew like costume guides and action figures.

Mind if I ask how you drew that punch volley attack? Love all those effect lines you added. I've been thinking of adding some of my own manga inspired attacks to my webcomics.

If i have to use reference and take a picture of muhself in girls clothes for everything i want to draw, then whats the point of even learning the fucking construction?
nah. Its supposed to be different aesthetics. I cant put muh finger on why its wrong. Something about this line weight just makes me want to puke. Im gonna try to make the lines skinnier and more sketchy, but clean at same time. And im gonna try to construct the body more without clothes. I dont want to change the angle, i want to be able to draw a side view
They ARE literally bullies! none of them actually draw and give honest feedback, they just tell me to kill muhself!

Ultimately, the final goal is to draw like Kago Shintaro(pic) or Katsuhiro Otomo. Theyre muh biggest influence and inspiration right now art wise. And i will probably keep redrawing this scene a 100 times till its perfect.

when I'm at my desk I'll draw up how I did it.

Page 2 is up!

Awesome, Looking forward to more work and pages from you in the future.

I like the style! you have a tumblr or something?

witchwayswitch.com

Haven't had the chance to get to a proper computer and spruce the site up, but it does run off Tumblr.

>If i have to use reference and take a picture of muhself in girls clothes
I just meant take a picture of yourself in the general pose so you have a reference point.

aw yay!
I love how hair is peeking out of the panel border, in a way that's dramatic in panel 3 and kind of humorous in panel 6

How do I start doing comics? I don't want to do anything that requires a giant commitment because I'm pretty sure I'll just drop out of it. But how do you even approach doing something interesting and short?

Basically you're asking how to write an interesting narrative without a lot of pages, right?
I wouldn't call myself an expert on the subject, but here's some things to consider.
>only do one thing. One narrative thread. Setup, payoff, end. No subplots, no asides, no characters that aren't part of the central conflict.
>This means your characters will be flat archetypes except for maybe one or two extra traits. The more you can tell the reader with the character design, the better.
>use narration boxes to skip over anything extraneous
>start right before the climax of the story. If you can fit the entire arc into a single scene, that's best.

Comic progress

and the latest one

Are the top two panels supposed to be read right-to-left? Combined with the break of the 180 line between 4 and 5, it makes the page read kind of awkward. I see how you're setting up the first panel in with it, but a more gradual change in angle would've been better.

tfw to lazy to ink in new page, rather just lay around and play video games and watch dr.who instead

HELP! i need some motivation...

You'll never go for Tails Gets Trolled levels of pretending to be retarded, my man.

Why do you spend so much time and effort doing this?

Link to free spinner rack font, or some other generic comic font if that's not an option?

Tell us more about this. Looks interesting.

someone told me it wasnt funny and the delivery is off
thoughts?

you can see the deterioration, i had finished a bottle of vodka by then

more than ever, you need panel borders. otherwise it looks like the lump is on his head

fuuuuuuuuuuuck youre right dude, yes
i gotta start doing that.
but this is my style after all, with the calibri font and everything.. oh man

make them jagged, terrible panel borders!

are you 15?

are you new to the threads?
this is hotdog baby guy. you bes' be givin some respect

fuck off retard

>My style
When your style is cramping your style, ditch it.

user I think you are missing the point of discussing things on an anonymous image board.

If you think that the point is being unable to tell whom you're talking to, you have another think coming

The point is it doesn't MATTER who you're talking to. If were made by the Pope himself it wouldn't change their quality.

cringey as fuck, just like your awful comics

Comic about a cute robot girl who fights crime.

shit glad someone's got my back
no i just have crippling alcoholism
i'm a fan of cringe so thanks for that
i remember as a kid i didnt know what the word cringe was so i described it as that "chilling feeling you get in your neck and go "aaaah.. noooo...""

If not drawn panel borders, then a clear, wide blank gutter between the "panels".
In , panels 2 and 3 are too close and blending together. You need wider separation between each image to make them stand out more.

gonna draw a comic at home tonight, and gonna use borders for the first time.

What are the better looking pages in this thread?

What are the worst?

Uh, the point is you wouldn't be saying that if you weren't familiar with this guy
guy, post hotdog comics maybe. get them up to speed.

Oh. (Was wondering if it was a girl or a boy).

So what sorts of stories/bad guys do you have lined up?

Er, wouldn't be saying that if you were*

>Spend my whole day crippled in self doubt doing nothing for hours.

>I have to work tomorrow.

Why do I do this.

these threads were a mistake

/agdg/ is a mistake, /hyw/ is really not

Bullshit. There's been nothing worth reading in these threads for weeks.

You got it, gonna dig 'em up when I get home.
Posting it in hour or 2.

Been so long I didn't look at them.

agdg actually has successful vidya makers come from it. despite being a piece of shit, yanderedev is making 3k+ a month on patreon, everyone here is trash

>Carrion Girls
>Capeworld
>Not worth reading

You were the mistake user.

>A joke of a human being is fleecing people on patreon for a meme game that will never be finished.
>He has his own kiwifarms entry

Fucking Coldfusion is better than Evaxephon.

>yanderedev
>successful

prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/1896-yanderedev-evaxephon/

He's successful in the same way hookers and Hillary Clinton are. He has money, but he lacks self-respect and the respect of others.

lol more than any retard here has ever accomplished, and people genuinely are interested in the game. if you could earn a fraction of his earnings/fanbase you shitters would be ecstatic

user if I die without ever becoming an online punchline and lolcow like Evaxephon I'll die happy.

It's not worth selling your dignity for patreon e-bugging bucks and "fans".

So you mean to tell me that you're actually envious of Rahxephon? That you wouldn't mind having a life like his?

How pathetic are you user?

.... how many e-bucks? I mean I think I'd rather do that than a normal job if it pays the same or more

Bones I have to say that your work is fucking amazing lad, I absolutely adore it, it has everything I ever liked and I love that you put so much effort into the elaboration of this masterpiece of internet media. Please never give up even if all the anons on this board shit on you. You're the highlight of this generation of webcomic artists and I will forever worship the incredibly well done and deeply detailed artwork you put out. You're my main inspiration to keep coming to this board and draw, I wake up everyday expecting the new upadte of the Goth Grillz comics because it gives me a reason to live. Never give up Bones. Because there will always be devoted fans like me that hope to see more of your glorious work.

>lol more than any retard here has ever accomplished
Notch frequented Sup Forums right up until Microshit bought out Mojang. And he's a literal billionaire for it.

Not to mention he's far less of an asshole than Yandere Dev.

You and me are bones fans therefor we are freinds forever, I hope you have a good day and please be safe.

how good is homestuck

It's the physical manifestation of some loser's inner demons

It's garbage. Several comics in this thread are better.

you know how when you watch seinfeld now it's like.. oh i understand this was innovative in its day, but now it's kinda nothing?

What else is worth reading from these threads?

Things with a one-note gimmick are like shiny toys. When the shine gets old you might as well chunk em'.

your attitude towards toys is somehow even worse than towards media

Some work in progress. Rococo 01_36

This was actually one of the first page to be drawn and was part of previous storyboards. Its being partially redrawn right now.

The dialogue boxes are transparent so what behind it can be seen. I am considering rearranging , and/or rewording it in the final draft.

Yellow dialogues boxes are for the PoV character, Vivian. she is the girl in the middle besides the "or destiny" dialogue box.

Fresh out of the womb amatuer writer here. Im writing the scripts for a short 5 part mini series inspired by my image.
My road block is finding an artist willing to work with me on the project do any anons have any advice for trying to find an artist ?

we get this a lot
it basically goes like this: you got money?

create a storyboard, no matter how crude it is. Basic stick figure and the dialogues will do. Something that allows a visual person to grab onto. Shop it around to artist who are interested in the theme or motif present in your story. You can also offer to pay, and this gives you more leverage. Otherwise, you can also offer to share creative control with an artist, but you might not want to do that if you have a strong vision.

post script

yay, witch coming of age. always a fan of that.
Didn't know you were an artist-writer duo. care to share how you hooked up, for the folks here trying to do the same?

I think my artist may be some sort of comedic genius when it comes to expressions and subtle details.

Pic related is an unfinished panel from the next page. (Please ignore that page I accidentally leaked)

I lucked out and found someone when I offered to pay a commission for each page here on /hyw/ a couple weeks ago. Your best bet is to try someone on the drawthreads here, /i/, or /ic/.

Well I'm just the artist, it's a friend of mine who writes it, though I do give some imput on ideas here and there.
Villain for this chapter is a green biker dude criminal.

I thought having an isometric spread of a museum would be a good idea... turns out there-s too much planning to do and this was not the ideal time to try this out. Help making the place look alive? where should I put museum shit ¿?¿?¿?

JUNK FOOD PARTY COMING THROUGH AS PER REQUEST FROM ONE GUY
I found it
enjoy or don't

meh

Seriously post the damn script. If you want to attract writers show your stuff.

that's a pretty cool design
This is my absolute kryptonite. what you've done here though is basically make a pretty subway station.

holy shit rereading these. i feel so bad

they're a special kind of genius

fuck this is all i got...

questions:
should i color? I implemented boxes here for once, i forgot i actually did that
ps: these were all done by mouse

i feel i can pump shit out easier if i drew it on paper