Almost everything they publish is 100% pleb filter

Why aren't reading you any comickino?

Please. Most of th series dwindle within he first year and become boring.

>no schedule
>writers up and leave series unfinished
>glorious first arc, tedious bullshit after
I'm pulling East of West, but for everything else, I just get the trades.

>Almost everything they publish is unfinished or forgotten after the creators realize it isn't going to take off.
Image is a handful of successful titles and a WHOLE WHOLE LOT of filler shit.

I only read cave drawings hidden in deep cave systems in the Amazonas, those are the only comics that matter.

Man eat a dick false flagging idiot

Ehh I think Image is a bit too sci-f/action centric at the moment, Eric needs to diversify because despite all being creator-owned and individual of themselves, they're still sharing shelf-space with other same-concept one-word-titled 5/6-issue arc series

this. they give way too many shitty ideas a chance. it's clear they're desperate for their next big thing and they take a shotgun approach to it

I like that they do that though, better a company take too many chances than not enough, if they're pulling in enough cash to take risks that is great.

The only image book I consistently get is kill or be killed honestly and the rest go to shit or unfinished (trees) way too much

They are trying more and more. Royal City was one of their highest profile new series this year with a big marketing push and it is a subtle drama series.

Is Curse Words any good?

>they give way too many shitty ideas a chance.
This isn't a situation like Marvel/DC who have ideas for books or get books pitched to them and then decide if they want to go through with it and assemble teams. Image is paid by the creators to publish their book. If there's too many shitty ideas in their line it's because there are too many shitty ideas that creators think will hit big and then subsequently pay to publish before they drop the book since, yeah, it was a shitty idea and nobody was reading it.

Someone recommend some good recent image series that has at least 2 volumes

chew
rumble

>Image is paid by the creators to publish their book.
Not exactly. The Image model is;

>creative team pitches Image (Eric)
>if Eric approves, he pays for the printing and marketing of the comic
>creative team don't get paid upfront unless the writer is paying them out of their own pocket (some higher up people do get advances but it's rare)
>Image take any money made off the floppies
>also takes a small cut off the trade sales, rest goes to creative team

Sometimes the deal and profit cuts change from book to book but I'm pretty sure that's the usual model

They mostly publish mediocre schlock like every comic book publisher.

revival (finished)
east of west (finishing soon)
black science (finishing soon)
deadly class
kill or be killed
wicked and the divine (finishing soon)
descender
paper girls
nailbiter (finished)
manifest destiny

I thought it would be shit but I was pleasantly surprised by it. The humor is there but it doesn't take over the comic and isn't cringe like in Rat Queens or something. It isn't one of their best comics or anything but it's actually kind of cool and interesting. I'll probably pick up the second volume.

>pleb filter
mommie come look i was a patrician i only read GOOD comic books

I am a huge fan of Brandon Graham, but beside that I find them mostly meh. I prefer actual indie editors.

Yeah that was apparent a couple years back, Brubaker said he was planning on a scifi title before he launched The Fade Out with Phillips and after seeing how much the rest of Image Expo was scifi he was glad.

There has been a weird recent trend in supernatural stories taking place in the South ( Moonshine, Redneck, Redlands) , are people just apeing off Harrow County?

They attract more plebs than the big two. Plebs who think that Brubaker is the best crime writer.

Brubaker is a great writer, bugger off

Apart from Fade Out and the occasional Criminal one-shit his Image output has been pretty underwhelming. Fatale proved Brubaker cannot do magic, horror or supernatural. Kill or be killed became stale after the first arc. His secret agent X-9 spy homage book Velvet never really managed to become interesting although it had some promise, the integral conspiracy just failed to deliver.

Probably more like Southern Bastards. Not supernatural but yeah.

>Kill or be killed became stale after the first arc.
While I agree with you in fatale Kill or be killed is still pretty great honestly I think it improved after the first arc

>capeshit with webcomic quality

OP reachs a new low

>Image
>Capeshit

Out of all their ongoing only like three or four are capeshit.

No skin off their ass when the writers and artists pay the majority of publishing costs.

>No skin off their ass when the writers and artists pay the majority of publishing costs.
Artist still get to keep most of the earnings made by their books so no seeing why is that an issue.

I'm not saying it's an issue, I'm saying it's an incentive for Image to publish basically anything. Image isn't really even paying, and who knows what might become popular

Cause I'm a pleb. Recommend me stuff to read on my Surface, this screen is wasted on mango

Fantasy, sci fi westerns are still capeshit.

>MY definition is what counts!

Why do they publish so many boring shitty comics? All the failed tv pitches and unfinished series suck so much

For the most part, it loses interest. Only exception is Remenders work, and even then it's wish washy.

Phillips and Brubaker don't count, because they could write for any publisher, any story, and it'd be the coziest read.

>east of west(finishing soon)
Man you are just full of hope, huh?

Sunstone, but I'm not sure if it's Top Cow or Image or what, since it has both logos.

Oh boy here we go again.

Talk about how Jesus is capeshit, too!

The end of issue 10 I think(whichever one where he realizes the thing about the demon) is honestly what made me love the series.

>only exception is remenders work
>implying he's not one of the biggest examples of fizzling out after the first arc

This better not be the guy who defined capeshit as "someone helping another person"

Top Cow is an Image imprint

confirmed final issue is #45, issue 35 out november 15th boy

I actually love the series.
So with that info and it being a Hickman series, we can surmise that it'll take another few years to tend.

two at best I think
I think Dragotta is actually the one slowing things down. Issues for the last arc kept getting delayed by like a month or two months even

And? That means there is something for everyone. Comics are a medium that is still in it's infancy and needs experimentation to grow. My main problem is that Image isn't publishing enough experimental stuff.

In the last couple of years Image has managed to make more writers stick by a good schedule. Most of their books do enough for a trade and then take a break before coming back for another trade worth of issues. They are selling to the trade market, which is the main part of comics that's growing

Yeah from the sound of things it's usually just shit happening around Hickman that keeps stopping his stuff in its tracks(He specifically held Dying and the Dead back until all issues were 100% done because this shit kept happening). Hopefully he and Dragotta can get things sorted out and get it done within the next two years.

They should be the first major US comic editors to drop floppies.

i'm glad that dying and the dead is back on track but 3 issues of flashback is fucking stupid let me tell ya

>kill or be killed
My nigga. I hope issue 14 gives some amount of closure, but I'm worried it'll be rushed. In 13 Dylan just seemed to know where to strike in the building and how without giving us even research montage or something.

>mfw I realise Jesus and the Epic of Gilgamesh were the capeshit of their times
It'll never stop.

That was actually a significant plot point in The Unwritten

Is it any good? The comic, not the plotpoint.

What about I hate fairyland?

It floundered around in vol. 2 and finally found something to do in vol. 3. Now we see what Skottie does in the future.

I really liked it, but it might not be for everyone. It starts off about a boy who was the inspiration for his father to write fantasy books (Tommy Taylor/Harry Potter). By the present time, the boy has grown up, and the father has gone missing. While at a fan convention, he is ambushed by a woman who suggests that he might have been an abducted kid. Shortly after that, elements from fantasy fiction start to blend into the regular world.
It has similar pacing to Lucifer over at Vertigo (same author). It tells a complete story, and no character is forgotten about.

It also had really, really good covers for the entirety of it.

>All the founders but one crawled back to the big two.

Oh yes maybe if they discovered the magic of Crisis/events that changes everything and their universe never been the same!

Yeah I thought they could put more time into Dylan’s planning since it’s the most complex mission he’s got but I’m hoping they might give more detail in the next issue but how do you think they’ll play out the demon?

Descender, and Briggs land, Reborn only has one volume but its awesome

>What is Image United?

Briggs Land reads like DMZ. In a bad way.

I've heard about how it has a crossover with Fables at one point that's pretty shitty. That skippable, or is it vital to the story?

"Crossover" was a dumb marketing term because it happened entirely in The Unwritten, and just featured characters from Fables.
100% skippable except if you want some possible thematic echoes (connecting to a horn being blown), and see alternate universe versions of the Fables characters.
I personally find it a total waste of time. If you read by the current trades (Deluxes are being printed) skip volume 9 and go straight to 10 (which was the end-game start). 10 actually starts minutes after 8 ends, and I don't think anything from the crossover is ever mentioned.
How was DMZ?

Only Jim Lee went back, the fuck you talking about?

Gilgamesh has it down to the heroes teaming up after an initial fight.

Okay in the beginning when it was just vignettes about all kinds of shit taking place in the city but then goes off the rails when it tries to have a real plot

Liefeld did a bunch of work for DC in the new 52.
Silverstri did a bunch of stuff for Marvel right after Civil War
Portacio did a bunch of stuff for DC in the mid 2000s

Image wasn't about artistic integrity and creator's rights, it was about the money, Lebowski.

>SJW comics

No thank you.

People write and draw for different companies all the time. What's your point?

Image used to be cool user,some of their old comics are great

>Liefeld
was kicked out of Image a long time ago
>Silverstri
didn't know that but he can do what he does. His line at Image was the most successful and he proved himself, unlike all the other Image creators. Witchblade alone went for 185 issues, counting the countless characters that were doing crossover with her she must of have nearing 250 yes, there are that many witchblade crossovers So if he wanted to go draw X-men or whoever again, he wasn't hurting for money, he could do whatever he wanted

no no, they are mature graphic novels

They worked at the big 2 after literally creating a company to swear off of it.

I'm just saying user is objectively wrong in saying only Lee went back.

>Liefelf
>swearing off stealing from any company
muh keks

True, I trust Liefeld's word about as much as I do his ability to draw feet.

I'd like to buy floppies from Image because I like what it stands for but delays, cancellations and the writers getting just plain bored means that trades are the only way to go

Man, I hope they don't cancel those Deluxe trades but knowing DC...

>I like what it stands for
Mediocrity?

Brubaker IS the best crime writer retard

The Image marketplace is really complicated if you look at it in a floppy/trade way. They ARE moving in a trade based format. But they are counting on fans wanting it to succeed enough to support a full trade by buying floppies. Which is something that is silly, and I think they get that.

What Image should do is only put out the first 6 issues as floppies. Give everyone a taste of the story, if they want to drop at issue 2 or 3 that gives the company what to do. Then after issue 6 just transform the entire book into a trade system. Fuck the floppies and just sell trades after you have the fan base

Why does almost everything new from Image either feel pretentious as fuck or just a mishmash of genres and ideas and nothing else?

cause you aren't interested in comics and original stories.

>Fuck the floppies and just sell trades after you have the fan base
Are you retarded or just pretending? Why would they willingly choose to make less money.

>cancer killing the industry

Are you retarded or just pretending?

Do you really think floppies are a good format?

>defending floppies
no seriously, they are what is holding back the creativity and marketability of the medium

I disagree, it's the retarded writers and editors insistent on writing for trades while still publishing floppies. They should go to a mixed output, have books that have 1-3 issue stories going out monthly as floppies and constant premire format/ogn stuff. There is literally nothing wrong with floppies, there is a huge issue with using them to publish 244 page stories.

No but they are the most profitable.
How is it holding back creativity, numbnuts?

The price of floppies is what makes them so terrible. Even with inflation shouldn't they only be 99c? I stopped buying Marvel when I saw they were trying to normalize $4.99

My favourite X Men knockoff

>implying a new issue of The Black Monday Murders will be solicited in the midst of Coker drawing that issue
>implying Frontier will be solicited before one of Hickman's current series ends
Hickman is a micro-manager.

His latest antic is "muh Diamond registering a fuckton of books lost in transit as shipped."

DC owns them now

Imagine if every comic was TWD, solid first arc and then shit everything else

That's Image

> __________ is killing the medium
> fill in the blank with anything other than diamond
you really got your priorities straight there