Superman: Secret Identity

This comic is better than All-Star Superman. I'm not memeing.

Other urls found in this thread:

13thdimension.com/exclusive-first-look-batman-creature-of-the-night/
www4.zippyshare.com/v/U6LCF2KI/file.html
www4.zippyshare.com/v/fcyBpvy3/file.html
www4.zippyshare.com/v/ONS8oJWH/file.html
www4.zippyshare.com/v/JiwrQhAV/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alot of things are.

agreed

For a second I thought it was another American Alien thread.

Eh, it's alright.

I think it's up there with all star superman. I also think people should stop memeing all star superman as new reader friendly. Silver age is off putting to majority of new readers since it's a completely different tone compared to modern comics.

There's a Max Landis thread up now, I think he's posting on the board

It's just other new readers jerking it off, coming from someone who love the comic.

>All-Star Superman
>new reader friendly

Are there actually people who think this? ASS is basically impossible to get without a working knowledge of the Silver Age, at the very least.
Secret Identity, by contrast, is super friendly for new readers since it's mostly self-contained. I don't know if it's better necessarily, but it is a great story. My personal favourite "realistic" take on Superman.

That's a very popular opinion user, even if I disagree with it.

As a new reader of Superman comics, I personally enjoyed Secret Identity much more. With All-Star, it felt a bit esoteric, as if there was some stuff at play that I wasn't able to grasp due to lack of knowledge/experience with the character

Storytime it and I'll let you know

I think it's absolutely suitable for new readers, it's just more enjoyable to reread later on.

Storytime it, if you think it's so good.

Some stuff about the Batman sequel

Art, Interview with Kurt and JPL

13thdimension.com/exclusive-first-look-batman-creature-of-the-night/

To them Boston best represents Gotham

I'm hyped AF for this

How the fuck does Boston represent Gotham? Way too small, safe and stable.

Stop begging for storytimes

Maybe you should take the hint and storytime it then

All-Star Superman is awful, so that isn't exactly high praise. But Secret Identity is great too.

>All-Star Superman is awful
Explain

I didn't mean it, I just wanted to be edgy

The ending literally only happens because everyone just decides to let Luthor have access to the technology to escape from prison.

There is nothing to it aside from Morrison wanking the exact same topic he has been since Flex Mentallo and "hey remember the Silver Age?", and at that point it would be better to actually read Silver Age comics.

Thats sort of the mark of Grant Morrison's superhero work, that they are approachable but become much, much, much better when you have a great depth of knowledge about not just comics history but also the actual art and craft of comics. For me it is great as someone who has been reading comics since I learned how to read but I could see someone like point that while it can be enjoyable it can also feel a little off putting if you feel like you don't totally "get it".

It's not just All Star Superman, think also about his Batman run or Seven Soldiers or Final Crisis. All absolutely great comics and easily enjoyable at a surface level, but just the amount of stuff you are missing out on without having read all the old great masterpieces can be a little overwhelming. For example, as amazing a comic as Multiversity is, I would never in a million years recommend it to someone who was not intimately familiar with comics, it would be complete nonsense to them.

It is very good.

I wonder why it doesn't get more popularity, but also that's why it doesn't get memed to death.

What would the equivalent of Batman: Secret Identity be

>rich kid reads the shadow
>goes "hey i've got money! i can do this too!"
>makes his daddy buy him a costume and expensive gadgets

DC sucks at packaging this thing.
There was the original trade paperback release, then DC ignored it for over a decade, and released a deluxe edition, with cheap paper. The paper in the original trade paperback was better than the deluxe editions.

I feel like it doesn't really get latched onto hard because it's really a much more "mature" story than most superhero comics. At its heart it's about a small town kid who moves to New York City to become a journalist, falls in love, deals with important questions about who he is and his role in the world, builds a life and a career and a family and reflects on the legacy he leaves behind. You could completely take out all of the Superman elements and this would be a completely believable biography of a successful writer. It appeals to a different crowd than your average "comic book nerd".

I don't really think there can be one.

It's being made.

I mean all you would need to do is change Zorro to a Batman movie, and you've got Batman: Secret Identity.

Is it really a sequel, or just doing a similar concept with Batman?

Spiritual successor. It takes place in the 60s

The problem I have with Morrison is that you get that "oh" moment when it clicks but after that, when you think about it a bit more, there's just not much to it.
It's kinda the opposite of a Moore comic, where most of the time I finished thinking it was ok and then shit start popping up in my head after a while and re-reading it opens up even more stuff that I didn't know it was there (always talking about his better stuff, of course. That didn't happen with the Violator mini, for instance).

This

Do it, faggot.

I tend to agree with you unless I’m really in a mood for some Morrison.

The nature of the premise makes it a little too grounded?

Secret Identity is more balanced. In ASS, you have Superman doing great stuff and then Lois getting powers all she does with it is flirt with muscular dude and then a rock falls on her now impenetrable head.

Superman - Secret Identity 01 (of 04) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
www4.zippyshare.com/v/U6LCF2KI/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 02 (of 04) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
www4.zippyshare.com/v/fcyBpvy3/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 03 (of 04) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
www4.zippyshare.com/v/ONS8oJWH/file.html

Superman - Secret Identity 04 (of 04) (2004) (Digital-HR) (Minutemen-PhD)
www4.zippyshare.com/v/JiwrQhAV/file.html

>and then Lois getting powers all she does with it is flirt with muscular dude and then a rock falls on her now impenetrable head.

You realize you're comparing a book that runs for 12 issues by just talking about ONE of them, right?

That's why I said "more balanced," using an issue as an example.

LOL, reading skills is missing those days.

It's better than alright and it's a different sort of story from All Star Superman, but

, , better? Nah, not really. Just different and comfortable, but it does really tell you anything you wouldn't already know UNLESS you needed an introduction to 'Why Superman.'

I liked it too, but I still prefer All Star
Can't wait for the Batman one

It's popular enough with comic book fans and Superman fans - not in the way that the Killing Joke is known, whether read or not, or other things are actually read (e.g. Sandman, Watchman, etc.)

BUT, if DC is really serious about making else world movies, this would be an excellent one to do - it's very self-contained, there's action but not a lot of punching and it could be made VERY inexpensively, for under $150M or less, even with the effects. They can also go ahead and cast unknowns.

It would only need to make a good two thirds of what Wonder Woman made to be profitable and would likely generate a lot of good will, assuming it's done reasonably faithfully and well-executed, with say someone like Lassie Hallstrom or Joe Wright.

Bump

Ight

Based.

Thanks, user. I appreciate it

No problem

I think marketing a film adaptation of this story would be too tricky for them to ever take a chance on it.

Ive bought All-Star for several friends who didnt care for Superman and it left them with a much better apperciation for the character.

I think people who dont think its new reader friendly just have a very different view to the genre and comics as a medium, and thats ok.

But on the story at hand. I really think SI gets the soul of Superman and I really enjoyed it. It speaks to me more than that certain things in my life hsmave come up.

I disagree, but I think it is still very good.