Stop Pirating Comics

Friendly reminder that pirating comics is not only illegal, but detrimental to the industry as a whole

PAY FOR YOUR COMICS

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I can't very well do that when they cancel the trades, take forever to reprint them, or never even bother to collect the comics I'd buy to begin with.

Do you really expect me to give DC money for Doomsday Clock, a shameless cashgrab that will undoubtedly be of bad-to-mediocre quality?

If we're talking Fantagraphics or even small Big 2 books like Prez then maybe, but Batman and Superman? I'm stealing that shit

I like to read a little bit of the comic before I pick it up and with older trades, the #1 back issue was picked out long before I started looking through the bin

But muh information wants to be free

I'm not paying for 80 year old comics that aren't even terribly goid, bub.

Most people are pirating comics on Day 1 release.

Go whine in the win-o thread.

I buy comics, and a lot.
The comics I don't buy I read at my retailer's, with his grudging permission.
Reading online spares him.
Also, some stuff he doesn't order.

And without free online comcis I wouldn't have found some of the ones I buy today.

You could just not read it.

I am a foreigner who can't get the comics in English and doesn't see a point in buying them months later translated.
I pay to Marvel for unlimited and download the comics I like, which are few.
Character faggotry also makes me buy through comixology the comics that feature my faves.

Hey, man, I ain't buyin' this! Ripoff story ain't got no endin'!

I don't have a lot of money but I try to buy what I can after I read something nice. Yesterday I bought the digital issues of Ex Librium on Comixology. It's a cool Russian made series, great art.

I try to save up for shit like the Usagi Yojimbo collected edition but I never manage, and honestly I'm really liking digital comics as of late.

I'm broke as a motherfucking joke, but I love comics. If I could buy a worse version of the books for less (no colors, cheaper paper, bundled in a digest format, discount digital, or whatever) I would do it. Comics companies don't cater to poor folks. I'm not about to drop $200 a month to keep up my funnybooks habit when crime is so easy.

Underrated

You mean like Marvel Essentials and DC Showcase?

Yeah, but for current issues. I want to keep up with the modern stories, not just stuff from 30 years ago.

I don't know how to steal comics online.

Yes, I do, you freeloading parasite.

Comics have an astoundingly bad content to price ratio and are rarely worth the asking price until they are in trade and are on sale.

However, I still pick up Deathstroke floppies. Only book that's both good enough to command the price and paced to be read monthly. I'm a satisfied customer.

>Giving money to a bunch of hacks who ramble about how much they hate capitalism.

Who are you referring to?

When it doesn't cost me 20 bucks local (all prices in USD) for 30 pages.
When comics are more freely avalable
When there's more then one or two series I've ever enjoyed

>When it doesn't cost me 20 bucks local (all prices in USD) for 30 pages.
What?

>Comics have an astoundingly bad content to price ratio
Everything has a bad content-to-price ratio. But the ratio improves when you go into your LCS, talk up the people who work there, walk away with an actual material object that you actually own, participate in comics culture, and have a pleasant experience. Instead of sitting at home in dark like an empty hole.

One thing I like about comics is that unlike other forms of art they're supposed to be easy on the pockets so that everyone with a couple dollars can buy them. I wonder if it would be feasible to have a magazine like Jump! in the West

Remember that pirating has a negligible negative effect on comics and other forms of entertainment.

I read my comics online, and if I continue reading to when a trade comes out, I always buy the trade. If I drop the comic before then, I don't.

>I wonder if it would be feasible to have a magazine like Jump! in the West
How many times do you fags have to be told "No, it wouldn't work"?

Yeah, how about I don't go to comic stores to try to make friends in an attempt to rationalize my investments. I'll just give Christopher Priest my couple dollars every month for making good stories.

The data doesn't necessarily support your assumptions user
cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
Not specifically comics related but I don't see why comics would be any different

You're not giving Priest any money though.

Until someone has an actual reason to explain that stance other that "because I said so".

this post is so wrong on so many levels

I'm giving DC money and they'll see that giving Christopher Priest books is a good idea. Considering I'll probably start buying Justice League if that hits a similar quality level, I'm perfectly fine with how this works.

I´m paying for my DC, Image and old Marvel stuff

But I´m not going to buy current Marvel, sorry

>I'm giving DC money
You're not.

Something about that confuse you? currency exchange is a thing user and here in the land down under it's not uncommon to look at an issue of "X-men: everyone still really hates the X-men and mutants because we can't ever move past this" and see it cost upwards of 20 bucks. Partly its the exchange rate, partly paypal fucking me over and partly services jacking the cost up to compensate for said currency exchange

>All these heathens giving money to capeshit instead of creator owned series and smaller publishers

>doesn't like people complaining about capitalism
>steals books

Mmkay

Are you really going to be anal and say that i'm giving the store money, even though the store pays DC for the comics i buy?

My action of purchasing a comic book generates revenue for DC. whatever.

Without pirated comics this year, I would not have purchased Vision (which, to date I have spent $47.88 + $34.95 on) or Flinstones ($35.88) or really, any comic as it was pirated copies of Ultimate Spider-Man that got me in comics. I have since spent thousands of dollars on comics.

Only works if your LCS is good. Mine happens to be but it's not true of all.

I read bad comics on release because I'm not going to pay for them, mostly to see other people's reactions.

I buy most of my actual comics at cons/buy them up cheap as hell and pay for signing so the creators get the money.

Hiveworks is basically digital Jump, and Viz makes a killing on their actual digital Jump service. You can't convince me that a well curated b&w webcomic ring wouldn't make money.

It what they want, how could I deny them a chance to live by their beleifs?

Who is "they", user?

Quite being a faggot, you know what he means

Recommend me some non-Big 2 comics. I'm only reading Kill or Be Killed and Royal City from Image as a far as creator-owned series go

Yea australias fucked for floppys I don't have any local stores and the 3 close enough it's at least $12 for a floppy.

Hellboy, anything from 2000AD, Fear Agent, Grimjack, The Maxx, Jon Sable Freelance, Nexus, Love and Rockets, and Concrete are all good.

>paying for Marvel comics

>Not paying for Punisher: Platoon

>giving these chuckleducks money when they continue to prove they're incompetent year after year
ISHYGDDT

What's a "chuckleduck" and what are they doing wrong?

I spend roughly $200 each month just on floppies, more if you count trades and omnis that I order online. I think it's alright for me to download a long run that isn't collected well or a book that I'm not interested in but need to read because it's "important."

REMINDER THAT THE EUROPEAN UNION DID A STUDY ON THE EFFECTS OF PIRACY AND FOUND THAT IT HAD NO EFFECT ON SALES AND THEN INTENTIONALLY SUPPRESSED THE STUDY

If
>The trades are canceled
>Reprints don't happen
>Reprints take too long to happen
>Reprints are in awful, unacceptable quality
>The authors and artists do not receive any amount of money from the comic if purchased officially anymore
>The author and/or artists are cuntbags
Or
>The comic is notoriously terrible
I'm not paying for it. There is no reason for me to ever pay money for Marville.

Too bad they stopped making those. Black & white Tomb of Dracula is some good shit; those Marvel horror books all work better in it.

The vast majority of comics are not worth paying for. I have bought more comics that I enjoy exactly because I pirated them first, and I wouldn't have bought most of the comics I pirated in the first place, had I pirated them or not.

Prez was not a good comic: I read six issues of that quirky, pastel bullshit before I realised that it was basically just a decompressed retelling of pic related.

>Prez was not a good comic

I bet you like Tomasi's Superman

I don't go out of my way to pirate comics, I just read what gets storytimed on here. If it piques my interest I'll buy the trade because I hate reading comics through a computer

Except Mark Russell provides a pretty balanced take on American politics, retard

I don't pirate things I actually want, I only get for free what I don't really give a fuck about.

I'm not a cuck, I ain't payin'
You pay ME for reading that shit

If they are not worth paying for, don't read them.

All you people saying "the comics suck so I'm not paying for them" : why are you even wasting your time reading them then? If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth reading.

Anyway comics currently can't compete with the content per dollar value that music and movies have. You pay $7 a month for thousands of movies and shows on Netflix, you pay $10 for infinite music on Spotify, you pay two bucks to rent a new release movie that has a hell of a lot higher production value than a comic.

Marvel Unlimited is a decent start, but with the current business model, almost nobody is buying comics except dedicated fans, and that market is not growing.

Stop being a faggot and buy floppies

Implying I have Netflix or Spotify.

What the fuck are you people doing posting on Sup Forums? Please stop immediately.

its not the sixties any more. Trades are better in every way possible. Give me trades to buy or fuck off.

Anything people use to justify it is bullshit. Not paying for some garbage you read for outrage is one thing. It shits up threads but those books don't deserve to survive.

If you say you're "reading so-and-so's run" and you only do so in storytimes and on that site I report upon mention you're a piece of shit who should be put out to the pasture.

Why are you wasting your time breathing faggot?
I ain't paying and fuck off

Kill yourself.

Cry harder faggot
I'm going to download all the comics in the existence and you can't stop me

No, I'll kill you! Run to your momma faggot
I'm going to get you

I'm not telling you to pay, I'm telling you to stop wasting your life reading mediocre crap you don't even like.

There's nearly a century worth of comics out there, go read something good or don't read anything at all.

Tell it to Star Wars fans

Pirating has literally no effect on any digital industry and may actually be good for many.
People who pirate are likely ones who can't afford to buy or do not have access to the product, anyways.
People who pirate, however, are still sources of advertisement.
Also, there are people, like me, who don't like surprises and read the comics beforehand to decide whether or not to buy

>Implying I don't do both
Retard.

C U C K

>giving money to a company that's struggling to make sure their characters don't go to the public domain

DC is a fucking hoarder, they don't use 80% of their heroes and they STILL refuse to put them in the public domain
Just put Phantom Lady in the public domain for fucks sake.

Is that it user?

Yes, and you even probably enjoy it. you sicken me. Why don't you buy 3 copies? One for your parents, and one for your friend? Oh wait, you have none, hahahahahahahaha

What? You were calling me a cuck for buying floppies? I thought you were just randomly shitposting.

What else should I call you? A brave courageous man? No way, freako

Then I assume you buy trades or exclusively pirate comics then?

if your looking for (you)'s here you go

I do nothing. I cyberbully people

On Sup Forums? Wouldn't youtube videos comments section be easier?

No, because youtube has snitches
On Sup Forums, I can be a piece of shit, while IRL being a polite and courteous gentleman

First of all I inferred, not implied.

I'm the user you replied to, not the faggot saying cuck. If you're the user I replied to, your comment implied you don't read floppies as it is centered around trades.

>No, because youtube has snitches
What?
>IRL being a polite and courteous gentleman
I highly doubt that user

>What?
It's just not kosher. End of story
>I highly doubt that user
Next time someone is nice to you, ask him if he posts on Sup Forums. It might be ME

Oh. All good then.

OP is literally a corporate shill.
gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

>gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537
if it doesn't have an effect why surpress it? There's literally nothing to gain if that's true. The fact is that "finding" would lead to faggots like you acting as if piracy isn't detrimental. When really it's just saying that all media is on the downturn.

It's the same type of thinking behind ESPN saying their numbers aren't down due to "politics" they're down because all numbers are down. Or Marvel saying diversity isn't the problem after their sales guy said it was.

Since there isn't a "provable link" it's unproven. But some studies come out and people interpret them, like you, as a confirmation of something because they couldn't confirm the opposite.

Do I think piracy hurts all things equally? No. And do I think all industries were and are behind in meeting new demands? Yes. But to act as if it "helps" some movies simply because it didn't hurt them as much as others is just as flawed.

And to act as if you're "sticking it to Warners/DC and Disney/Marvel" instead of the reality of fucking over small businesses is straight up fucking sinister.