Why is that comics can have legitimately mature and complex content and themes, but for cartoons...

Why is that comics can have legitimately mature and complex content and themes, but for cartoons, we're stuck with shit like Rick and Morty?

Comics cost less to produce, so they have more diversity of content thematically. Cartoons are network based and need a million viewers, so executives won't green light anything that is risky

>comics are really mature, g-guys! Not like that normie shit Rick and Morty.

Why do people hate Rick and Morty again?

Their IQ isn't high enough to understand its complex humour

One of the biggest reasons anyone hates anything; it attracted shitty fans.
Also apparently season 3 is a drop in quality. I don't know, I haven't caught up.

Because it seems like the cartoon industry is a huge pussy that won't stretch the limits and make something more fascinating.
That or its the fact the rating systems pretty damn sensitive.

Instead of being elementary school level it dabbles with middle school level philosophy, and this is unacceptable.
You can make a cartoon about Descartes's dissertation on the Res Extensa or a cartoon that is proudly and clearly a-philosophical.
Anything in between evokes hate.

It's a bit like colorful and childish stuff being ok and adult stuff being ok, but every teen fantasy is considered horrible, edgy and cringy.
People really don't like stuff in-between.

Not to meme, but Bojack is for grown ups.

The user above saying Rick and Morty is for teenagers is right as well.

The average comic book isn't, but you can get some truly great work. I'm not trying to bash cartoons, I'm a cartoonfag

This, we need more Moral Orels and Bojacks to save adult animation

/thread

This is the real answer.

>Rick and Morty doesn't have legitimately mature and complex content

Are you serious? Rick and Morty is one of the only cartoons out there that seriously explores the human psyche in the context of the formation of meta-ethical positions. The very basis of the show, the interdimensional travel, is in itself a subtle deconstruction of the clash between of pluralism (that is represented by Rick's portal gun) and Morty's monist idealism (his "planetary mindset" as the show so elegantly puts it). The title characters, Rick and Morty, are manifestations of Nietzsche's master and slave mentality respectively, thus presenting a statement on the limitations of nihilism in a pluralist reality in a way which one can relate to through one's own subjective experiences. Beth and Jerry, meanwhile, are an exploration of Jungian archetypes, namely the anima and animus, and how they manifest in an individual, with the characters being developed in line with Freudian psychoanalytical themes, such as Beth's latent Elektra complex. Even Rick's catchphrase, "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub", is in fact a serious dissertation on the nature of knowledge. I know that your little double-digit IQ mind is probably being overwhelmed by now, but try to keep up. "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub" has no meaning in the English language. It seems to be just a silly catchphrase, and in a way, it is. But if you just read between the lines a bit you'll notice that there are actually two different sides to the meaning. The first one is "I am in great pain, please help me", as stated by Birdman, giving the catchphrase a hidden meaning that shows us that Rick's nihilist worldview is subjectively false, implying that it is objectively false since Rick is its main proponent. This, however, is logically unsound reasoning, and furthermore ignores a contradicting argument: that the phrase is actually meaningless, and that it has a different meaning in Birdperson's language by coincidence, if at all.

This fits consummately with the show's overarching nihilist theme, and allows for a seamless surface-level narrative with an absence of a deconstructive narrative. This, however, in turn breaks with the pattern of exploring deep philosophical arguments, creating yet another flaw. Thus, both explanations suppose a break with the rest of the show in some way, disallowing any possibility of a single, more "true" statement, forcing us to analyze the nature of truth and accept the coexistence of two different ideas, leading us to a more enlightened relativist state. Even if you don't consciously think about it, the subconscious will take notice of and struggle with this argument, making anyone who watches this show more existentially conscious without even realizing this. This also serves to weed out those of lower intellect, since they will continually deny the argument and suffer from cognitive dissonance.
>Inb4 TO BE FAIR

The fact that its fanbase is cancerous and you can only take so much nihilism (a debunked philosophy by the way) before you feel like barfing.

>comics can have legitimately mature and complex content and themes

It’s a money issue but also a cultural issue. Cartoons in the West will forever be trapped in the pigeonhole of only being comedies and/or only being for children.

>It's a bit like colorful and childish stuff being ok and adult stuff being ok, but every teen fantasy is considered horrible, edgy and cringy.

I've never contemplated or related this dynamic, but it appears true. Decent insight.

This is actually not a bad analysis.

>relativism
>enlightened
Relativism provides little to no benefit to the host organism, thus failing a philosophical utilitarian check, therafter failing the only 'value' of truth in a relativist philosophy. It's a philosophy that cannot support the concept of philosophy, distilled suicide!

Cartoons are for kids.

>in japan, comics and animation are intertwined, with one having more luck making a comic and then an adaptation of it than a straight pitch, and many animators and comic artists doing both at different times

>meanwhile, in america, comics despite mainly being pitch material, are unanimously adapted into inferior live action versions that completely miss the appeal of a visual design medium, and as such the only market for animation is in the children and family sector of media, with the "mature" content mainly being for teenagers, young adults, but mainly children who want to seem mature.

>we actually had a brief five year period in the 90s where comics were getting adapted into faithful animated adaptations, but due to the comic crash, everyone stopped doing that, and now aren't willing to do it again even though independent comics and webcomics are selling again

Yes, they CAN have it. Most don't, but there are a few on the market that can. My problem is cartoons aren't afforded that luxury, and as a big fan of animation that annoys me.

You know, maybe I was wrong about you Sup Forums. One of the reasons Rick and Morty was my least favorite cartoons was because people forced me to like it. But maybe it's not as obnoxious as I thought.