Justice League Tracking for $110 Million Opening Weekend

deadline.com/2017/10/ben-affleck-justice-league-gal-gadot-box-office-projection-1202195005/

This is really worrying guys. Wonder Woman earned about that much in its opening weekend, $103 million. It had very strong legs, abnormally so, proportionally more than either of the Avengers films... and its total gross ended up at $825 million, x8 its opening weekend. Batman v Superman might be a better comparison considering it's the same type of film by the same director and a direct sequel to it; its opening weekend was $166 million out of a total gross of $873 million; total gross was therefore x5.25 the opening weekend. If JL is expected to open at $115m, that means it's expected to do around $605m and in the absolute most mouth-watering optimistic scenario do $920 million, for DC's equivalent of Marvel's $1.2-1.6 billion blockbusters. And the lowest number is assuming absolutely no ill-will from the last movie, which had a meteoric week-to-week drop due to word of mouth.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ojyuFzWA0v4
youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKtI4yYqw
variety.com/2017/film/box-office/china-box-office-audit-mpaa-get-tough-fraud-1202479488/
rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thor is currently tracking at $125M, for comparison.

What's worrying about that?

Meanwhile in the land of COMPETENT filmmakers
>Disney/Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok is currently eating up some of Justice League‘s projection mojo. The revised estimated for Thor: Ragnarok is in the $125M vicinity this morning on industry tracking.

Justice League is set to make less money than Spider-Man 6, Captain America 3, Iron Man 3, Thor 3, Wolverine 3 (when budget is considered), Memepool, etc. Do you really think this is what WB expects out of their equivalent of the Avengers?

DC's Avengers ripoff is literally going to be the third or fourth lowest opening for a DC movie

The mind of a hollywood executive believes that every huge blockbuster movie has to beat the record of the previous one or it's a failure.

The DCEU is dead
Bury it
Consider that mercy

>Wonder Woman earned about that much in its opening weekend
But it was tracking at much less than that.
Lesson: who gives a shit about "tracking".
And even more: who gives a shit about how much it makes? What's important is how good it'll be, and that's what worries me.

Wonder Woman was tracking $65 million though, we had threads about it with a lot of HAHAHAs until it made almost twice that much

I bet it will wind up surprising everyone.

If it bombs, will WB blame it on Whedon's quips or Snyder's "vision"? Because I hope they blame and get rid of both.

I don't understand why this board spends so much time obsessing over finances. So what if some executive has to wait a few more months to buy his third yacht? We're consumers, our only part in this system is to reward good products and snub bad products.

Maybe by opening EVEN LOWER but if that's not your bet you're gonna lose

>This is really worrying guys. Wonder Woman earned about that much in its opening weekend, $103 million.
This is three weeks out. Three weeks out, Wonder Woman was projected at $60mil and opened to $100mil. Three weeks out Thor was projected at $90mil and is now projected at $120mil.

... Oh, this is a DCEU troll/shitpost where we're supposed to say LOL DC IS FINISHED. My bad.

Thor defeats the entire Justice League. Amazing. Several years ago normies didn't know this blonde character at all. But now he's a bigger draw compared to all of DC's heavy hitters in the same movie. How did Marvel win by such a far margin?

>all DC movies after MoS made more than $100M opening weekend
>all DC movies after MoS made more than $300M in the US
>all DC movies after MoS made more than $800M
But sure keep antishilling, it's working great so far

By making GOOD movies

Something DC is incapable of doing just like making good everything else

At this point in the tracking Thor was projected to open at 90 million though
>expecting Sup Forums not to embarrass themselves after the Wonder Woman debacle
I know, I know

For comparison, Avengers Age of Ultron had a $191 million opening weekend and a $1,405 million gross. Or, a x7.35 difference. Say you go absolutely insane with pro-DiC sucking, and assume that Justice League will both get the favorable reviews that AOU did (76% on RT) and that BVS, with its crap reviews and record profit drops, left the potential audience with as much goodwill as AOU's predecessor, which was literally the third most popular movie ever made (and one with a 92% RT). In that case JL's gross would be $808 million. Less than Wonder Woman's, MUCH less when you consider the difference in budget ($149m production + ~$100m marketing for WW vs ~$415 million production and marketing for JL if it's similar to BVS).

And this is, again, an extremely optimistic scenario. JL could very well do less than $800 million. It will very likely be outperformed by not only very well regarded films like Wonder Woman, GOTG2, and Thor 3, but crap like Suicide Squad.

A WB executive is standing on a chair with a rope right now.

>all DC movies after MoS made more than $800M
Except Suicide Squad

Also you forgot
>All DC movies except Blunder Womyn have MASSIVE second week drops and bad reviews

Suicide Squad wasn't released in China so it counts too
>Blunder Womyn
That blunder made more than Civil War in the domestic market

JL opens in two weeks Zach.

This time of the year again!

I will always regret to not screencap you guys when you were saying Suicide Squad was going to make less than Doctor Strange, that BTFO is gone, like tears in the rain

>And even more: who gives a shit about how much it makes?
The people funding the creation of these movies, presumably.

It's the same posting style, I thought you killed youself man. Glad to have you here

Whedon is confirmed box office gold in the eyes of producers, that's why he was brought in to edit the film in the first place and why DC is letting him do whatever he wants with the Batgirl movie. Which is probably a mistake.

>Thor defeats the entire Justice League.
Thor, Hulk, Loki, memes, ect

And you care about this why? Do you work on this movie? Does it affect your salary?

You mean WB, DC doesn't have a movie studio like Marvel and they don't get to decide shit on their movies.

Johns only has so much power and he has to answer to the execs and other idiots.

Marvel Studios is its own thing, Disney leaves them alone for the most part, they got rid of Ike and their movies have found a formula the audience likes.

>JL could very well do less than $800 million.
No, it's the same extremely stupid guy. Hey friend, did you know that everything DC has done after MoS has made more than $800 million? Did you know that the only movie in the MCU to do so without RDJ was GotG2 this year? Makes you think huh?

It affects my likelihood of seeing another Superman movie.

Even more, who gives a shit about the JL.

Just under a month until a new DC movie opens, so I guess it's time for the Sup Forums crossposting again, huh? Protip: You're supposed to make fun of the RT score. You can't make fun of DC movies based on they money they bring in because they always bring in a lot.

>JL opens in two weeks Zach.
Jesus, also at least look up facts before you try to shitpost. It opens in three weeks. What are you, 12?

>>expecting Sup Forums not to embarrass themselves after the Wonder Woman debacle
Sup Forums here, what debacle?

DC's problem is that they had freaking Batman and Superman teaming up with rest of the JL and they fucked up promoting that properly.

Yes. I'm so terribly worried that a movie I'm hyped for and going to see two or three times is being given a bad prediction when Wonder Woman was so grossly misforcasted. I honestly don't know how I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Look at these
We had these threads about WW and then the movie made more than GotG, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, etc. I mean Suicide Squad did that too but I fucking hated that piece of shit

Sup Forums had it's usual pre-DC movie hateboner on and was jacking to how hard Wonder woman was going to bomb, how it was tracking to make less than a third of it's budget, blah blah, Ghostbusters tier bomb, and... wham. Most successful DCEU movie so far and up there with the best received and highest earning in recent years.

It was predicted to do terrible and suck ass. It made good money and was surprisingly decent as a film.

Also a new debacle is incoming because Thor 3 is tracking (on release) to make less than SS on opening weekened. Which, you know, it's embarrassing as fuck too

hey at least it'l have a great sountraHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

youtube.com/watch?v=ojyuFzWA0v4
youtube.com/watch?v=9hLKtI4yYqw

Nothing. Wonder Woman did better than expected because it wasn't a shit film.

Not a great film and maybe not even a good film. Just not as bad as the usual DC films.

So it got good reviews for being an "improvement over other DC films"

I've not watched it since I've no care for the film structure even though I liked the use of a Classic Wonder Woman Nemesis. And Gadot just cannot act.

Props to Chris Pine whom I've heard was the best part of the movie.

>it's time for the Sup Forums crossposting again, huh? Protip: You're supposed to make fun of the RT score

>mfw /mlp/ got taken over by this disease recently

Its sold out at every theater around me to the point that I bought my Imax 2D tickets in advance

I present to you the Wonder Woman timeline.

>"no one even knows who Wonder Woman is, DC IS FINISHED!"
>rumors that a former WB employee says that WW is a mess
>"DCucks on suicide watch! JUST!"

>trailers come out
>"AHAHAHAHAH SO SHIT OH MY GOD I CAN'T BREATHE ROTTEN TOMATOES IS GOING TO BURY THIS TURD! CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS IS GOING TO WIPE THE FLOOR WITH WONDER WOMAN!"

>critics first reactions on twitter were overwhelmingly positive
>"fucking shills I swear, look at this review on IMDb saying it's shit without talking about the movie at all, damn this is going to be hilarious!!"

>embargo drops, WW has more praise than Logan and anything in the MCU since Avengers or so
>"fucking SJW shills this movie is SHIT audience scores are going to crush it lmao"

>audience scores currently sit at 92% on a 4.5/5 rating, higher than anything Marvel
>"h-heh well who cares it's still going to fucking BOMB look at this picture of an empty theater (I swear these retards were posting those pictures here lol)"

>WW crushes all predictions and opens at more than $100M, beating IM1, GotG, Doctor Strange, Logan, TWS and more
>"w-well until you see the DROP, 80% at least, DC is dead bury it consider this mercy etc etc"

>"T-The Mummy will crash this movie with no survivors! Can't Bruise The Cruise!"
>it critically panned and flopped

>WW has one of the smallest drop for a CBM ever and the 3rd weekend drop is even smaller
>on it's 3rd weekend it's making more than CW and AoU (Avengers movies)
>already outgrossed TWS and Doctor Strange entire domestic runs after two weeks and it's making more money overseas than dom so far while no release yet in Ger/Jap/foreign markets

>"Cars 3 will bury it!"
>doesn't even make a dent

>"Transformers 5 will finish it!"
>WW doesn't drop, actually rises 23%, T5 tracking for the lowest opening of its franchise ($63-65M)

>"WW bombed! it hasn't even passed 500M! DC is finished!"
>crosses $600M threshold on the same day user posted this

To be completely fair, it wasn't a Snyder-project and PJ actually cared to do good with the movie instead of the usual 2deep4you bullshit Darksnyde does.

But this is the thing, can we expect this Frankestein's monster to do the same shit?

Do YOU actually have hopes it surprises people and it's a great movie?

It collapsed Fandango yesterday too

It was basically a long string of hyperbole that lasted for months where shitposters constantly got BTFO.

>Wonder Woman's going to have a shit RT score.
>Wonder Woman's opening after Pirate's of the Caribbean which will lower it's OW.
>Wonder Woman's going to open at $40 mil.
>Captain Underpants will kill WW.
>The Mummy will kill WW.
>Cars 3 will kill WW.
>Transformers will kill WW.
>Despicable Me 3 will kill WW.
>Spider-Man will kill WW.
>Apes will kill WW.
>Valerian will kill WW.
>Etc.

It lasted for weeks and WW just kept holding and defying all expectations.

>I've not watched it
>not even a good film
>And Gadot just cannot act
>whom I've heard was
>I've not watched it
Fuck off, no one cares about your opinion if you didn't watch it

Pure BTFOkino

My expectations for the movie are that it's going to be a big dumb action movie featuring some capes. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Action movies have always been bad and always will be. That won't stop me from going to see them.

I'm not going to waste time watching something that is at most a passable film.

Well, I guess good publicity just goes a long way.
Also, how did that movie theater that wanted to premier it only for women do?

>How do you know it's shit if you haven't eaten it

As great as this is, this is incomplete. The final version went up to $800mil.

Man this is missing Wonder Woman making more than Captain AMERICA: Civil War in the US, that's the biggest BTFO of them all

How would you know that? You didn't watch it yourself in order to form an opinion, you just bandwagoned.
Go back to Sup Forums.

Underrated post.

here was the other half
>"how is this happ-"
>$650M on its 4th weekend

>"HAHAHAHAH it hasn't passed Suicide Squad's worldwide yet! BTFO!"
>6th weekend, 745M+ worldwide. Wonder Woman is now the 2nd highest grossing DCEU movie in the franchise.

>HAHAHAHA DCKEKS IT'S SPIDEY TIME! WONDER WHORE IS FINISHED!
>Homecoming starts slow, gets terrible drops, Wonder Woman actually rises.

>Oh yeah? Well Deadpool was more profitable and it was R-rated too. #DCDone!
>outgrosses Deadpool's domestic profits. Ryan Reynolds even congratulates them.

>So what the other DC films will suck
>Director of the critically acclaimed Apes trilogy will direct the solo Batman film, with plans for a trilogy

WW and Avengers were very special occassions, one pushed as the first strong heroine in a whale and the first capes team up that opened the pandora box for shared universes. JL shouldn't expect ww performance or avengers numbers at all. CW numbers would be a safer bet and even then it's fucking november with ep 8 coming in 3-4 weeks. 140M+ is fine but I can see the burrhurt cause niggas act lie if they get shares or something.

Add this and Gareth Evans making the Deathstroke movie.

Tell me, after thread after thread after thread of tirelessly promoting Man of Steel and BvS, was this result absolutely cathartic for you?
Like Andy Duphrene crawling out of the shitpipe into the fresh rain?
It seems very emotional for you.

All they had to do was make a Disney Princess movie, complete with loveable goofball sidekicks and a handsome romantic interest.

People have been saying for years, "Why doesn't WB just copy what Disney is doing exactly?" And now they absolutely are.

*$110-120 million

Weird of you to leave that out, OP

>was this result absolutely cathartic for you?
It was to me. I enjoy Marvel movies but they have the literal WORST fanbase ever, worse than Rick&Morty, MLP, Nintendo... Literally nothing is worse, to see them BTFO like this was pretty fun

Whatever it makes, I'm just praying against hope that it's better than what's preceded it.

>We had these threads about WW and then the movie made more than GotG, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, etc.
And made less than Spider Man Homecoming and GotG2

MoS and WW were great though

We're all hoping that, OP was the one who brought up the box office anyway

It was a pretty ok movie. Sorta like Thor: The First Avenger, and it really felt like it should have been a WW2 movie, and the villain motivations were awfully squirrelly, but it was somehow easy to watch.

It sorta confused me when Diana is killing all these guys she thinks are being "controlled", but at the end refuses to kill Dr. Poison, easily the evilest individual in the whole film.

Homecoming had a chance to release in china later after they waited out most of the summer blockbuster screenings. Also we're talking domestic.

>it made less than a spider-man+iron man movie and the sequel to the best MCU movie with talking animals for kids (these are bigger than capes)
Not really on the same league, everybody expected both of those movies to make a billion

Eh... I got no side to take but it was fun as much as one likes to see a bully get taken down. The DCEU guys have largely always been cool and subjected to a lot of Marvel bullying over the past year or so. So seeing them get some comeuppance was entertaining. There's certainly been significantly less movie shitposting because of the occurrence and all the Marvel shitposters tend to congregate into one thread these days to jack off in their little echo chamber. It's the same with how Marvel is currently struggling and everyone loves what DC is doing from both a product as well as business standpoint. It's good to see people like Brevoort, Slott, Spencer, etc. who used to stand behind their throngs of normies hurling shit at DC because Marvel was the in thing at the time get their comeuppance. Everything in life is cyclical. I'm hoping Justice League does really well so we can eradicate the Sup Forums bullshit on Sup Forums for a good long while.

>they have the literal WORST fanbase ever,
Huge marvel fanboy here. I've never made a thread talking shit about what DC has to offer. I'm absolutely convinced that it's all a Sup Forums culture thing leaking into the board. The company wars side of the comic books isn't nearly as intense and I think that real Sup Forumsmrades are just happy to have movies featuring their favorite character.

No, it made a lot more than those movies after budgets are considered. Homecoming had a $140 million marketing budget and $175 million production, $315 million altogether. WW had, assuming a proportionally similar budget to previous DC films, $149 million production and $99 million marketing, $248 million altogether. Meaning off the bat it has to make $67 million less than Homecoming to win. More important though is the fact that it pulled its money domestically, not overseas. Studios keep 50-55% of US profits and only 25% of Chinese ones.

>Internet bullying

>domestic

Basically. A lot of Marvel fans are doubling down on the DCEU hate because Thor seems to have issues, the CGI being accused of looking as bad as people have been picking at the JL trailers for.

From the spoilers I'm actually sort of hopeful for Thor now. Thor seeming to let all the tragedy going on just bounce of him and basically acting like he is on meds is going to bug me, but it sounds like there is some drama and gravitas.

Bro, I've been openly in love with the DCEU since Man of Steel, and I've said all along they would make it lighter with Justice League because that's when a force for good enters a troubled world, and when Superman would lighten up. I didn't ever imagine Whedon would be involved, but eh, hopefully he doesn't do too much damage and then stays in his containment thre- er film (Batgirl).

I have hopes that I'll enjoy it, and from the trailers and the fact it's a Justice League movie and I've loved the DCEU so far I'm pretty sure I will. Will it 'only' make around 800mil? Who knows, I expected BvS to make far more and WoWo to make far less. Will the critics utterly savage it? Of course, they already are. Do I give a fuck? No, why would I? It's not possible to maintain indignation for this long, and all this shit started with MoS and got worse with BvS.

I will point out that none of the movies have been financial flops, or even really under-performed, and SS and WW were genuine success stories. So unless, somehow, the Justice League actually manages to bomb, the DCEU is going to continue on comfortably.

>Studios keep 50-55% of US profits and only 25% of Chinese ones.
if the percentages in china are less, then why do studios go out of their way to pander to them?

Spider-Man didn't "wait out" anything, China closes it's box office regularly to promote domestic films. It would have otherwise had to release in China way before the US, which is a terrible idea in the Piracy Age.

And then this shit happens

You can call it whatever you want. It's all dumb shit nobody needs that fills up Sup Forums and distracts from actually talking about comics, animation, etc.

He gets these figures from Sup Forums.

Profit wise Wonder Woman made more than literally all MCU movies except the two first Avengers movies. Being such an unseen domestic powerhouse means the profit rate is higher (this triggers Sup Forums though). Profit wise is on the same tier as Logan and Deadpool, not the MCU

As long as we eventually find a metric that looks good for us.

It's the second biggest movie market in the world and it's likely to eclipse the US in the next few years. Even at 25%, they'll take in more than most other countries. 25% of $100mil is much higher than 50% of $30mil, which is a big number for lots of developed countries like in Europe.

So what? Homecoming made less than SS on opening weekend yet made more overall domestic and overseas. Hell the biggest embrassment is GotG opening less than SS and BvS and ending up making more than both.

You have any sort of citation on 25%?

>Profit wise Wonder Woman made more than literally all MCU movies except the two first Avengers movies.
Let me guess. Your dad works at Warner Bros?

>they have the literal WORST fanbase ever
Oh really? Did Marvel fans send death threats to someone for telling them what the runtime of a movie was?

>Under the current agreement, signed in 2012, studios get 25% of gross ticket receipts, half of what theaters usually cough up in other major territories.
variety.com/2017/film/box-office/china-box-office-audit-mpaa-get-tough-fraud-1202479488/

Domestic is the metric every single box office analyst uses because you don't have to take into account weird competition from local movies, exchange rates, the studio cut on the gross is the biggest (over 50% depending on the distro deal) and the fact that you're not dealing with literal fake numbers as China has been caught doing like when Homecoming had a record breaking opening weekend in China, a mysteriously massive like 90% second weekend drop and then it didn't make a single dollar more there, haha

That's literally one mentally ill guy. Go to any JL thread on Sup Forums right now, you'll see how most of the MCU fanboys really are

>Justice League (Brave and Bold #28 1960)
>Avengers (The Avengers #1 1963)

???

>Action movies have always been bad
thats not true and you know it. stop being a contrarian

> then it didn't make a single dollar more there
>Made 116 million in China and is the highest grossing Spiderman movie over there and among the top grossing films this year over there.

Tell me how much did Wonder Woman make over there?

rottentomatoes.com/m/thor_ragnarok_2017

CERTIFIED
FRESH