The Shadow Storytime: Halloween Edition

To celebrate Halloween, today we will be storytiming The Shadow's crossover with The Twilight Zone.

And today, I also come bearing you a special Halloween gift.
I present to you this pastebin with links on where to read all of the 325 existing pulps, as well as all the other novels, radio episodes, movies and comics related to The Shadow I could find.
pastebin.com/ig11eExG
Spread it around for anyone you know who wants directions on where to follow the Dark Avenger's pursuits.

Now, without further ado, let's begin
>He knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men… but who knows what lurks in the heart of The Shadow? Find out, in the first issue of this mind-blowing four-part storyline entitled “Shadow of a Doubt”, as the Master of Men takes a fateful step into that wondrous land bounded only by imagination: an area which we call… The Twilight Zone.
youtube.com/watch?v=PBnO9dw3n6A

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=96aapx3DFdM&t=3m10s
thelivingshadow.wikia.com/wiki/The_Temple_Bells_of_Neban_(Radio_Show)
youtube.com/watch?v=HS7FiMl-u4w
pastebin.com/ig11eExG
oldschoolcrimefighters.tumblr.com/
radioarchives.com/The_Shadow_s/57.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Picture if you will: in your own world, you're a fearsome crime fighter who stalks the night. But you wake up today in another world, where the fearsome crime fighter is just a character you play in a radio show that bears his name. You are no longer a man with a mission, just a 22 year old prodigy with an impressive voice, and a lot of questions...an honored guest who has been invited into...the Twilight Zone

youtube.com/watch?v=96aapx3DFdM&t=3m10s

>thelivingshadow.wikia.com/wiki/The_Temple_Bells_of_Neban_(Radio_Show)
>The Shadow meets an exotic woman from his past. He soon discovers that she has been trained in the remote and mysterious area of India, the same place where he learned his power to control minds and make himself invisible.

The radio episode represented here is of particular importance, as it was one of the only episodes that dwelled into The Shadow's past (in his radio incarnation) and it also established a weakness for him, the Temple Bells in question, able to dispel his powers and render him vulnerable.

Did this series ever touch on The Shadow originating as the narrator of the Detective Story Hour? I remember this series just covering the The Shadow's own radio show and the novels.

There's a part coming up that references it to an extent although it doesn't dwell into it too much.
Attempts to conciliate The Shadow as the narrator and The Shadow as a pulp/radio character have been made, but ultimately, there are still mysteries about how exactly they align, or as to whether or not they are even the same person or exist in the same universe.

>What if you discovered your whole life was an elaborate, unbelievable fiction ? And what if you found yourself tasked with creating it all over again, from the beginning? In a wondrous land bounded only by imagination, a typewriter can kill just as surely as a gun. The Shadow finds himself with an unwritten future, facing a blank page straight from a mysterious stationary store that we call...The Twilight Zone

I

I think now is an interesting time to share a story about Walter Gibson and The Shadow

>Walter B. Gibson and The Shadow, by Thomas J. Shimeld
>Gibson often said that the plots and characters during the time of the Shadow seemed to take on their own personalities and the stories would simply write themselves. He wrote the series for 15 consecutive years. Gibson wrote in his diary “A strange feeling grips me as I write. I do not feel tired. I seem filled with a strong veer. The past seems vague and faraway, while the future spreads before me, full of mystery”. As time passed, Gibson was living, thinking, even dreaming his Shadow stories in one continuous process. He used to knock out a Shadow novel a week, and then take a few days off to heal his sore fingertips, and spend two or three days on his plots and outlies. 30 and 40 pages a day.
>Gibson wrote the final issues of The Shadow Magazine in an apartment at 12 Gay Street in Greenwich Village, an old section in Manhattan dating back to the 1700s. Gibson lived there with S&S staff writer Ed Burkholder. On Halloween this home was the site of a number of annual seances to contact Houdini (who promised Gibson that if he died he would attempt to come back to life). After Gibson moved out, there were many reports that the home was haunted, by the figure of Lamont Cranston.

>Hans Holzer in his Yankee Ghosts book elaborates on haunted events surrounding the house, such as a strong odor of violets detected only by dogs, footfalls going up and down the stairs, a phantom dog that they could not feel, etc. In 1963, Alice May Hall recalled seeing, in the entrance leading to the hallway and stairs “There was a man there, wearing evening clothes and an Inverness cape – I saw him quite plainly. He had dark hair. It was dusk and there was still some light outside…I turned my head to tell Frank Paris about the stranger, and that instant he was gone like a puff of smoke”
>Paris had not believed Miss Hall, but a week later, at dawn, he saw the same host “wearing evening clothes, a cape, hat and his face somewhat obscured by the shadows of the hallway…he was a youngish man, and had sparkling eyes. What’s more, our dog also saw the intruder. He went up to the ghost, friendly-lie, as if to greet him”. After these stories were shared, psychic Betty Ritter was summoned.

>Ritter discovered that a crime had been committed there. An argument had ensued between an Oriental named Ming and a woman. Ritter continued to describe a “gambling den, opium smokers, and a language she could not understand”. Ritter’s psychic abilities were proven in the eyes of the onlookers when she correctly stated that a close friend to Paris named John had passed away and he had trouble with his right eye.
>Later, she was government documents and felt a former tenant named Mary Ellen had lived there. She also psychically discovered the presence of a “well known government official named Wilkins or Wilkinson”. Ritter was not even told the address of the home prior to bringing her there, so the possibility of her researching the history of the house was ruled out in the minds of the group.
>Ritter’s impressions of 12 Gay Street sound like the plots of crime stories, which could very well relate to the Shadow. Gibson explained that the “ghost” that Paris and Hall saw could have been what Tibet lore calls a tulpa, an “unintentional byproduct of a powerfully convinced idea”. “They are seeing what we call an afterimage psychic projection, not a ghost”, said Gibson.
>It was in this very apartment during the summer of 1949 that The Shadow completed his final adventure for Street & Smith in the novel The Whispering Eyes.

>Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, by Dennis William Hauck
>GAY STREET PHANTOM: Residents of this apartment building sensed a shadowy entity moving up and down the stairways, and once, several witness encountered the apparition of a man in a black suit standing on the steps in front of the building. The ghost smiled politely and then disappeared. The apparition of a man in a hat and tails has been reported inside the house as well. Author Walter Gibson believes the spirits are psychic impressions he left behind when he wrote The Shadow mystery series here in the late 1940s.
>(The apartment building is in Greenwich Village at 12 Gay St., New York, NY 10014)

From Walter Gibson and The Shadow
>Gibson’s life writing the Shadow soon turned into shadows itself as his eyesight continually declined. At one time Will Murray observed Gibson signing his signature of the double x combining Walter Gibson and Maxwell Grant in one signature.
>Rauscher provided the following quote from Gibson: “I live in positives. Time does not mean anything to me. I can be awake and still think I am talking with Houdini. It is all so real to me”. “In 1984 he said “Eighty years ago I walked up the steps to class in Chestnut Hill Academy. You know what I want to do, Bill ? I want to walk up those steps again and into that same classroom and say, “Boys, here I am after 80 years, back again.” Oh, Bill, there is so much I want to do”.

Thanks for posting, brOP

>Will Murray remembered Gibson: I thought Walter would live to be a hundred years old, at least. Why not ? He deserved it. He had a lot of plans. He was always talking new projects. He could have lived off reprints of his old material forever if he got them all back in print. But he wanted to write new stuff, too”.
>Murray remembers that Gibson, in his final months, was obsessed with writing a new Shadow novel. He was thrilled about the pending movie project that would bring the Shadow to a new generation. He began to dig through his old notes. A Shadow novel would be perfect now, for Gibson could not do much research due to his failing eyesight.
>Murray reported that Gibson considered doing a fifth Shiwan Khan novel or possibly pitting another villain like the Cobra or the Python against the Shadow. With no publisher interest in the project, Gibson began writing.
>He pounded away at the keys and waded through his memories. He only completed a couple of chapters. He could not see the keys to type well, which rendered the manuscript nearly unreadable. Will Murray added that we do not need another Shadow novel, but rather “what the world really needs is another Walter B Gibson”
>Between Gibson’s frantic attempts to complete a Shadow novel he also dove into his memoirs. Yet he never completed them before he died. He had turned to videotape to finish his memoirs, having recorded what Litzka called a “wonderful tape” the night prior to his stroke.
>The day he died Gibson was cremated. Murray wrote that there was “no funeral, no wake, no last chance to say goodbye”.

>The Shadow's strange trip through time, space, and identity ends where it began: a Nazi Compund on Long Island. He confronts humiliation and death, justice and mercy, and some Shadows of his own. Submitted for your approval, the end of The Shadow's odyssey through...the Twilight Zone

Spooky

I love how the the whole twilight zone force makes Kent learn the message by literally just spelling it out for him

And I can't overstate how much I love that this comic uses Harry Vincent to deliver the message.
The Shadow pulled him from despair and hopelessness, taught him into becoming a competent and confident agent and gave him purpose. And now Harry gets to metaphorically do the same thing to The Shadow.
The comics so often forget why the agents were such an important part of the pulps.

And that's a wrap...in the Twilight Zone
youtube.com/watch?v=HS7FiMl-u4w

hate it already

Man I’m a sucker for twilight zone stuff I’ve watched the original series and it’s funny how this is the best twilight zone book that dynamites ever released

>Believe the Jew
>Get killed
Whoops

Once again, if any of you wish to know where to read the pulps, or comics, or find episodes of the radio show or serials, I've compiled most of them here
pastebin.com/ig11eExG
With help from: oldschoolcrimefighters.tumblr.com/
You can also support them officially by buying them from Sanctum Books's reprints: radioarchives.com/The_Shadow_s/57.htm

Happy Halloween everyone. I hope you enjoyed it. And remember:
>The weed of crime bears bitter fruit....crime does not pay
>The Shadow Knows.....Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Neat.

Poor Petey, tho.

>Gibson explained that the “ghost” that Paris and Hall saw could have been what Tibet lore calls a tulpa, an “unintentional byproduct of a powerfully convinced idea”. “They are seeing what we call an afterimage psychic projection, not a ghost”, said Gibson.
I thought tulpas were like imaginary friends people saw via self-induced schizophrenia.
At least that's what I got from /x/
How come other people started seeing it ?

Hold up.

Not to get Sup Forums but what CRIME was actually being committed here?!? This looks like a stormfag rally on private property. If they were about to execute some minorities for the lulz or announced a plan to bomb Washington then ok they got it coming but he's basically killing them for using the first amendment.

I don't really know either. Maybe the guys at Hypercrisis threads could answer this (The Shadow has appeared on DC comics numerous times) but I don't really understand this either.
This is the first comic that's ever even touched on this subject.

Read the rest of the comic.
He didn't murder the whole crowd, just the soldiers trying to kill him

Welcome to modern comics