Black Science Storytime Part 1: How to Fall Forever

Whaddup, Sup Forumsmpadres? Long time no see!
While the Great X-Men Storytime is still on hiatus (I may or may not have... misplaced some issues...) I figured we might as well read one of my favorite books on stands at the moment! And hey, even if you don't like the writing, you can still enjoy the gorgeous art and shitpost with me.
So grab a snack, sit back, and let's dive right into Rick Remender and Matteo Scalera's Black Science!

Other urls found in this thread:

tinkertailorcomicswriter.tumblr.com/post/162674281668/jamal-igle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good thread, I enjoyed it a lot

Cheery!

Likewise.
Bravo OP.

I love this page.

i love the artist

Whelp.

Same here, and the coloring works wonderfully too.

I think I used to have this spread as a wallpaper.

No wait, it was a spread from a later arc.

Anyone ever notice how many "Black X" series there's at Image?
Black Science
Black Magick
Black Road
Black Cloud
I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but yeah.

Metal as fuck. Take notes, Snyder.

Would you?

>Yeah... we're still gonna kill and eat ya though, sorry

Poor Jennifer, we hardly knew ye.

lol

BRB

It's a shame it all falls apart after the first arc. This genuinely was one of my absolute favorite openers for a series.

>WWI Germans vs. Futuristic Native Americans
Well that's something

Got caught up in something, storytime will resume in like an hour at best, sowwy

kek i thought black magick and black science was the same book, i do believe BM is also a good book right?

>We did it team, after all these years, we finally became Black Science
Seriously?

nah i'm an expert in ignoring other people needs

That is an awful literal interpretation of Turtle Island.

This page reminds me of Rick Remender on Brian Posehn's D&D Podcast. Do not lend Rick Rememder your character, he will hack off one of his testicles for seemingly no reason.

I've only read the first two trades, but I took away from it the sense that it was going far too big picture with the multiverse aspect while leaving the characters themselves somewhat underdevelopped, with Grant ending up almost a decoy protagonist with how he gets separated from the group.

This is Remender.
>Wow, this is really a deadly class

I'm considering getting this soon but do I get the hardcover or the trades? I've heard the hardcover has some problem with the lettering on certain editions but it does look pretty nice.

Awight, let's get this show on the road!

I've heard the HC can fall apart pretty easily, but then again I always go for trades because I find hardcovers annoying to read.

Also we have Black Hammer from Dark Horse and Black from (hehe) Black Mask.
Thanks for the storytime OP, it was on my shortlist to read, might as well bump it few spaces and read with everyone.

Yeah, I like Black Magick, I just hope Rowan isn't gay, that would be awfully... Ruckaish.

>I am now the Tokyo Ghost
Bravo Nolan

Are there any Remender comics where the characters do not keep making terrible choices, with their lifes constantly going from bad to worse?
I'm not criticizing it, writing depressing stories is a valid option, but I'd like to read an optimistic Remender story at some point.

Man, what the hell was that Black book anyway. Like, doing X-Men but only with black folks sounded okay, but the way they went on about it was just kind of... dumb? I dunno.

He wanted Low to be an optimistic story but it hasn't been very successful in that regard so far

Ah shit wait, that was a cut spread, here's the fixed version.

>that shit-eating grin

Yeah same experience for me.

Same with Low and Seven To Eternity.

After somewhere between 5 and 10 issues the newish Remender series have all fallen apart for me. He keeps expanding the world and/or changing the focal point/characters of the series before the given status quo has settled in enough for the characterizations to come through. The protagonists of Black Science and Seven To Eternity seem like the same cyphers. I liked Low for quite awhile, but dropped it after he changed the status quo, and what the book seemed to be about, for about the 12th time in 16 issues.

Then sometimes he pounds home the themes of "family" or "hope", or "doing what's right" or whatever, way too much and too hard, almost as a substitute for characterization or development. I'm hearing about all these big themes, and there's all these big concepts, mixed with reality-twisting and future forecasting and colossal world-building that never lets up... and yet I feel like I barely know or care about any of the characters or what's happening to them.

The thing is, I think Remender has tremendous talent, but he never reins in or fine tunes anything. Probably because he's never had a good editor. At Marvel the only run he had that editorial had a prominent hand in was Uncanny X-Force, and yeah X-editorial can get in the way, but that run also happened to be Remender's best shit, probably because he was continually made aware of how his story would effect other concerns. When he's given freedom at Image, he just writes and overwrites aimlessly, using big concepts that never connect as well as they could if he was edited a bit. It's a shame because even as-is he's very very good, but he could be god-level but isn't.

this shit is like lost in space they even have their very own smith

>No more peanuts
The alternative ending to House of M was one hell of a surprise.

It's almost like he gets bored with what he's writing. Fear Agent had that arc where he did nothing but wallow in addiction that did nothing for me.

Haha, that quote should be on the back of the latest trade.

Kadir is such a useless dickhole here. Like, yelling at him to fix the fancy experimental machinery in the middle of a warzone? Threatening people's jobs when one of them has already died?

He lives in a fantasy world.

I haven't read it yet, but I will. I was really pumped for that series intially because of the premise but writer and label being very engaged in political activism turned me away. Funnily enough, I changed my mind again when I read very cool interview with illustrator Jamal Igle about Chaykin, controversies in comics and Black. Really cool guy. - tinkertailorcomicswriter.tumblr.com/post/162674281668/jamal-igle

GO GO RICHARD NIXON, YOU MIGHTY FIGHTIN' RICHARD NIXON-OO-OO-OO.

Cool, I'll give it a once over.

Yeah, I can definitely see that, and I can also see why people see Deadly Class as his best Image work, because he actually took the time to develop his characters since there weren't any big concepts there to explore.
With that said, most of my Image favorites are almost guilty pleasures, I enjoy them based on concept and art mostly, which ironically enough, was the case for many readers back in the 90's. There are some real gems in their catalog, but most of their comics are sadly pretty self indulgent.

By the way, this is one of my favorite realities because of the mecha-injuns, they're awesome.

Honestly, they do seem pretty cool.

The Electro-Frogs vs. Suhuagin universe they first jumped into was fun too.

I have no idea how fun the later ones are because I'm only two trades in though. Although it sounds like Rememder loses the plot somewhat so they may not be as primed for a /tg/ campaign of some kind.

His parents should have done away with all pretenses and named him Asshat McDouchebag.

Godworld is a visual blast.

I don't know if this is racist or what (I don't remember Remender getting into hot water over this anyway), but it looks fucking cool as shit.

>racist
wut

Probably too racist to even be imaginable to SJWs, but it's not like the Azteks weren't prolific human sacrificers, so fuck it, Aztechs vs. Germany in SF WW1 don't follow the Geneva Convention.

those look like native americans

Shit, I forgot that Mexico was in Europe.

that's rough to hear about the X-Men stuff, but Black Science is a new read for me.

Readin-Bump

Ive been picking this up since the 4th issue but I'm way behind, I've just been piling them up to read all at once since the start of Godworld, this will be a good catch-up.

as in apaches not aztecs or mayans you know what i mean

Dude weed lmao

Fair enough point.

Still, a multinational Amerindian coalition invading Europe would see some cultural overlap, right?

Y'know, with the scalping and the dancing in front of bonfires and shit. Some people may get miffed about it, but like I said, I don't remember any controversies surrounding this book, then again these issues came out before the e-outrage era so there's that.

ah i see now

Yeah, it sucks because I'm pretty excite to start Inferno. Speaking of, and I figure I might as well ask here:
Do you guys want to read ALL of Inferno or only the X-related issues (plus the Daredevil tie-in because I'm shameless)?

>having an affair in a place that's probably bugged
Geez.

Oh man, I just remembered what they call their multiverse in this, it's hilarious.

All of it, If you've got it in you.

Oh shit, they've got mechs!

>Oh man, I just remembered what they call their multiverse in this, it's hilarious.

The Vidalia? ....no wait thats not right...

>they've got mechs
then why took them so long to take europe?

Nope, just plain onion

SOME

I guess it's because this reality looks cooler as a warzone

kek