Just finished Slott/Allred Silver Surfer

I never expected all these feels. If you haven't checked this series out yet, please do. It's such a genuinely fun and wholesome book and though it obviously borrows a lot of ideas from Doctor Who et al. it's also full of really cool original concepts. Somehow it manages to recontextual Norrin's journey so far while respecting what came before. If I have time next week I'll try to get a story time together.

>I never expected all these feels

It's fucking shit and you know it. Don't be such an obvious shill, you moron.

>while respecting what came before
>evil Shalla Bal
Yeah no

Lets introduce my shitty OC ideal imaginary cartoony girlfriend into Jack Kirby's creation because "muh Dawn!"
Is Dan Slott a frustrated Neil Gaiman who succesfuly brought his OC goth girlfriend to the real world?

Slott did what?

That. He did that.
Fat cunt needs to get pounded.

But why did he turn Shalla Bal evil?

Why?

> into Jack Kirby's creation
Pretty much everything after Fantastic Four has nothing to do with Kirby, Stan completely hijacked the character.

Kirby's idea of the Surfer was a being created by Galactus to serve him, that rebelled and sided with mankind.

Stan made him into some jackoff who was bored living on a literal utopia planet, then he breaks his pact with Galactus, after condemning who knows how many worlds, fucking over his own planet.

No idea where all the hate for this comic is coming from, OP. I thought it was wonderful.

I mean I don't care for slott's surfer but IIRC shalla bal was never supposed to be real in the first place, the idea was that it was a bunch of bullshit Mephisto fed to the Surfer

Super nerd girl here, OP. I liked it too. I even went to my LCS just to take a selfie with it. You might enjoy this other book I like to take selfies with, Squirrel Girl. Let me know what you think.

>Turn one of Marvel's most interesting characters into Dr. Who fanfiction
>Evil Shalla Bal
>Norin is reduced to the straight man for the oh-so-wacky goth girl waifu
>Goth Girl is not the canonical explanation for Kirby dots in the universe.

Fucking guess where the hate is coming from user.

Wait, it's over?
I guess I can finally get around to reading it and evaluating it as a complete body of work..

Did you know that Slott won an Eisner for this drivel?

Did you know that Morrison was passed over for an Eisner?

Did you know that the issue that Slott wrote which won the Eisner was a conceptual ripoff of Morrison's one-shot that was nominated, involving the concept of infinity and timeless in a postmodernist interpretation of reading and absorbing information presented within and through the medium of comic books.

And Morrison did it without a gimmicky "if you fold the page like this then it looks like the page is just continuing without stopping" thing.

No. Slott attempt to "make his mark" and immortalize his OC by shitting all over Kirby's legacy just like every writer who gets their hands on Kirby stuff does for some reason.

I think it is fun and clever. I don't need grim bullshit comics like DC-- but I'm also not looking for ZOMG random Deadpool, either. Slott is talented as fuck, the art is amazing, and he gives a great and creative spin to known characters. I dig that. You should be reading his Bug! comic too-- my only non-Marvel title I regularly pick up, besides Snotgirl.

Eisners are worthless. All media awards are worthless.

Perhaps, but Slott was still awarded not only for his Doctor Who fanfiction but his "Explain It Like I'm Five" version of "Multiversity: Pax Americana".

>Slott
>Bug!

Don't smear Bug and Snotgirl with your shit taste, motherfucker. Stick to your Marlel drivel and poor shitposting.

You do realize that Slott is doing Bug, right?

Are you thinking of Mike Allred?
Dan Slott is the writer. Allred is the artist.

>Slott is doing Bug

You're confusing Slott with Allred you dumb fuck

I really can't tell if you're baiting or if you're actually this stupid.

The Eisners have been shit for years. It doesn't matter. None of it matters.

pls tell me more user about morrison's one-shot and slott's gimmick, genuinely intrigued

to hawk his female dougnut steel oc

>Norrin goes back to the Big Bang and spreads Dawn’s Remains out to the cosmos
>this means all life forms in all words have the same word for sunrise: “dawn”
This shit is insulting to my intelligence. What’s the Spanish word for sunrise, Slott? Is it “dawn” too?

Yeah I remember the first issue just builds her up as the most important person in the universe.

I love Allred, but between this, Future Foundation with Fraction, and Art Ops he's been on some real stinkers recently.

So, what are some good silver surfer reads? Please don't recommend Parable and Requiem as I've read both and didn't like them.

This is Slott's cheeto-fueled, loser fantasy about actually having a woman that could tolerate his presence.

>didn't like requiem
Neck thyself

"Multiversity: Pax Americana" was released as part of Morrison's "Multiversity" maxiseries expanding upon the DC Multiverse. The story was a pastiche of "Watchmen", utilizing Charlton Comics characters as Alan Moore had originally intended to do in his series.
The story has a strong focus on the ability of comic books to be read backwards and forwards, in the same way that a fourth-dimensional being which can see through time and space might observe our own lives. Pic Related; it's the most pivotal example of this theme. Other themes include the concept of infinity, the repetition of the number eight, and the endless nature of things.
The book was nominated for an Eisner Award for Best One-Shot, but lost.

The next year, Slott/Allred's "Silver Surfer" #11 was nominated. The book is also a one-shot story; it is narrated by the Never Queen and features Silver Surfer and Dawn caught in a time loop for some reason or other. This is emphasized by the comic artwork being a literal infinity loop, stretching over two-thirds of the book. The last third of the book is the break in this infinite loop, in which the reader is guided to turn the next page and match the artwork from the previous page to the next, continuing the story. After that, the story continues as it normally would. The book was advertised as a story that Marvel readers would talk about for years to come, but after the Eisner win I'm the only person talking about the fucking book.

Marvel is forcing retailers to order extra copies to get the cheeto-dusted covers.

I thought In Thy Name was pretty good. Kinda bleak outlook, but that's what I like about the Surfer. He's relentlessly optimistic or depressingly angsty depending on the day.

If you didn't like Parable and Requiem though then the character probably just isn't for you.

>Yeah I remember the first issue just builds her up as the most important person in the universe.
And she's actually just some useless anybody.

Here's an example of "Silver Surfer" #11 as it was printed physically. I got bored back when I was more autistic about all of this and reconstructed the physical version from the digital rip. Saves hard drive space, too.

Learn to write, JMS, you fat fuck.

More specifically, here's where the infinite loop would go back around.

You're not using this meme properly, you know.

And here's the page where the reader would bend the next page to match up with the artwork from that previous page.

This is the extent of any post-modernist interpretation of the medium of comic books in the book. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even NEW to comics when this came out. Shit, MAD Magazine Fold-Ins are more creative.

I don't care about your memes.

Then don't use them at all.

He fucking changed the entire landscape of tv. Single handedly cause he wrote all of season 3 and 4 by his fucking self. He guy knows how to write you fucking pleb

What was your problem with Future Foundation?

>thinks Slott's SS is fun and clever
>too dumb to know the difference between a writer and an artist
Checks out.

I didn't use any memes at all.

The man who wrote masterpieces like Grounded, Odyssey, OMD, Earth one and ninja assasin.
Not to mention Requiem is pretty much fedora tipping faggotry. It has no coherent plot at all and the writing is pretentious and bad with one dimensional characterisation.

>I didn't use any memes at all.
>you like it, so you're the creator of it

I read it every month, passed secret wars and stop at nº8 because I could not bare the boredom.
I was hoping for something more but it never delivered.

Good concept. Good art. Terrible. TERRIBLE writing.

I really dislike Slott and this series sounds pretty dumb based on what I'm reading here but I find the gimmick kinda interesting

go away, Slott

The concept and the gimmick may be interesting, but I feel that the gimmick was unnecessary. Morrison essentially showed that the theme of infinity and repetition could be expressed in a comic book without the gimmick.

Oh boy guys I can't wait to read Dan Slott's dumb Doctor Who fanfic

>Jojobrony

Pretentious is a word idiots use. And yes. JMS changed sci fi forever, educate yourself and treat yourself by watching Babylon 5. The best written sci fi in existence

>Best written sci fi in existence
Hahaha

Took the words out of my mouth. Parable and Requiem basically distill the best parts of the character and his stories, and if you didn't enjoy them and don't enjoy In Thy Name, he's just not going to be your thing.

Read Silver Surfer (vol. 1) #1-17 The original Stan Lee and John Buscema run, they are amazing!

allred is shit

Turned her evil amd made Alicia into a cheerleader for his OC.

>Dan saw people shitting on this the other day and needed to make a shill thread

>>jojobrony

This looks interesting but yes the writing is bad.

Allred and the concept itself is what carried this issue, the writing from what I'm seeing is pretty meh.

I still preffer Pax to this.

>if you fold the page like this then it looks like the page is just continuing
wait, Silver Surfer did an Al Jaffee?

>I think it is fun and clever.
fuck off Dan

Who the fuck is this nigger and why is he guzzling cum in this thread?