What makes it good?

What makes it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ICBbTKy6sxE
youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-YszoU87s
mega.nz/#F!qxQmkCgL!f6J_d9PLbdu8vBM_KJNooA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The art is good and the story is amazing?

Nice character development, good blend of drama and comedy, the historical information makes every chapter interesting even if it would otherwise feel like filler... there’s a lot to like.

It was a passion project by someone who was actually competent.

I really want to be convinced to read this but I have a hard time believing that fucking disney duck comics are actually emotionally and intellectually engaging. I have a suspicion that when people say they're good, they just mean "good" in the sense that it's better than it should be. But that's not enough for me.

Convince me, Sup Forums. My wallet throbs for something new but I don't want to be disappointed.

Tell me what are you expecting from this, and I'll tell you if you'll find it.

Ever read Tintin? Asterix & Obelix? This is on the same tier. That should be all that needs to be said.

Like I said, I want something emotionally and intellectually engaging. I don't want a mediocre feeling of "Hey that was nice". I want the art I engage with to actually affect me at least to SOME degree. I want to walk away feeling that it was worth it.

>Ever read Tintin? Asterix & Obelix
No I haven't. I'm a huge pleb when it comes to Euro comics. I've only read some Moebius (which I enjoyed).

You're going to have to explain what "intellectually engaging" means to you.

If I read it and don't even think about it the next day or the next week, it was obviously not very engaging. I don't want to read time-filler.

i ordered the first don rosa collection

so are these actually good or just comic strip tier shit

Just read the first issue for pete's sake.
If it grabs you, it grabs you.

Someone should story-time it.

You should stop being such a faggot.

?

Actually good. Top tier art and writing. A good mix of drama and comedy.

>convince me this is worth my time
>convince me harder
>I'm too lazy to find the first issue on my own please spoonfeed me

Just skip it. Duck comics are just the capeshit of Europe. People like them because they grew up with them. Otherwise they have no redeeming quality.
Read Vehlmann, Karaescott, Tardi, Larcanet for actually good Euro comics.

>Don Rosa
>Euro comics
I mean, you're completely right about european duck stuff being our capeshit, but Don Rosa really isn't a part of that.

It's a story about a cartoon duck that goes on wacky adventures and beats the shit out of everything with his bare goddamn hands, but somehow it also manages to be a believable, relatable character study about a man losing sight of his own values as his ambition gradually forces him to give up everything he cares about.

I can't decide whether it's amazing or incredibly sad that one of the most emotionally moving and believably developed fictional characters I know is a talking duck dealing with mummies, ancient Mayans, Finnish mythological creatures, and Templars on a regular basis.

Just read it, OP. You'll either discover a great story, or you'll get bored after the first book and call us all fags.

youtube.com/watch?v=ICBbTKy6sxE

Rosas's comics were always too fucking fanficcy for me.

Well Rosa is a duck fan and he is writing about characters he didn't create, so it IS fanfic strictly speaking.

Its just one of those rare cases where its good.

this music is awful, like really awful.

this, and the art being that of a mediocre artist, but hard working one, are the only valid complaints about those comics.
They're good.

I'll add that I recently got into usagi yojimbo, same comfy feeling. I support the astérix user

Nothing, it's mediocre as hell.

Well, given what people are peddling these days, mediocrity is a fucking god-send.

Exhaustively researched with great character development

Okay, how about that?

>Spans at least 80 years of history, by making Scrooge meet with a couple of historian figures through the years 1867 till 1947, including President Tedy Roosevelt.
>Has Scrooge at one point in 1907 commit genocide against a tribe in Africa and deals with the consequences for him.
>Starts off as the story of one young boy going out in the world to show that he is more than everyone thinks of him...
>Turns into the tale of the man who has everything yet nothing.
>Better drawn than a lot of the crap that nowadays earns an Eisner.
>Death of Scrooge's parents.

he is the father figure i never had

I want a Life & Times movie with stuff from this album as the soundtrack. That said, what you posted is easily the worst song on the album.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-YszoU87s

Step 1: Find a list of the chapters (including the supplementary ones that aren't in the main book)

Step 2: Google PDF

Step 3: Enjoy. All the Don Rosa stories are online in PDF format, but aren't linked to anywhere so you have to google them individually.

I'll help you get started:

"last of the clan mcduck pdf"

there was a thread on /t/ with an user dumping a don rosa collection, quality one.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:728F47FED263433B094FFDB0AFFE8D0BDEAD8577&dn=Don%20Rosa%20Comic%20Collection&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopentor.org%3a2710&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.blackunicorn.xyz%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969

Thought the same when I picked it up. You read issue and you can’t put it down. It’s the story of a child who grew up too fast all he wanted was to provide for his family but somewhere along the way he lost his way until money became the only thing he could see and the only thing he wanted at the cost of his family, his love, and finally his soul. What does a man have left when he’s achieved everything?

>Europe
It's an All American love letter to the All American Disney comic book writer. There isn't anything even remotely influenced by Europeans about Life and Times.

It surprises me most Sup Forumsmrades don't know of a site where you can insta get such collections, both for stuff like eurocomics or rosa and for cape stuff.

mega.nz/#F!qxQmkCgL!f6J_d9PLbdu8vBM_KJNooA

used to go to t411, went down.

I know that part of what makes Life and Times so good is all the references to continuity. Is it still great as a standalone?

You might enjoy it more if you got the references (Mostly from the various Carl Barks Donald and Scrooge comics) but it still works as a standalone story.

>Has Scrooge at one point in 1907 commit genocide against a tribe in Africa

Is he /ourguy/?

This thread makes me so sad.

I like the artwork and the little details. You can find tons of little jokes in the background.

I think the number of genocides of Sup Forums is probably pretty low.

I would say he is the opposite of an image board neet.

A lot of people throw "the Citizen Kane of x" around as a meme when talking about something good.
But I think there is a very legitimate argument to call this the comic book equivalent to Citizen Kane. Not just in terms of quality but the story and ideas of it in general.
I'd go so far as to say it's even better than Citizen Kane as a story because of how much more extensive and personal Scrooge's saga is. It aims really high and it actually pulls it off.

Basically is a romance/adult aimed writting disguised/dilluted as a children's comic book.

It'd be easier to help you if you mentioned some comics that you find intellectually stimulating.

Don Rosa himself :
"[...]Though I've made passing references to "Citizen Kane" in other Scrooge stories over the past eight years, such as in my "Last Sled to Dawson" and "His Majesty McDuck", this time I pulled out all the stops since this final chapter seemed to scream for the same newsreel opening as in that classic film[...] Do I really see $crooge McDuck as Charles Foster Kane? No, not at all,really -- Kane inherited all his wealth while $crooge worked for every cent of his. Still, one can't avoid the similarity in the two impossibly wealthy, yet ultimately discontent characters. Kane seemed to spend his life trying to find out what his inherited wealth was good for, trying to use it to buy himself happiness and respect and love, and he lost all sight of his Rosebud until it was too late. Scrooge was never interested in what money could buy (obviously, since he never spends it!) and never lost sight of his 'Rosebud' -- that it's the memories and personal achievements behind his fortune that give it value in his life. And yet, the burden of protecting his fortune from the greedy hands of those who want it for all the wrong reasons will always prevent him from being as content as his nephew Donald, for whom a simple ice cream soda is complete happiness [...]"

it's taken from what I could find of the last page of various complete editions of the Life and times. Not one has the exact same sentences.

Autism with purpose and skill behind it.

On top of that a bunch of it is reminiscent of "great american legends" style stories.