How's Your Webcomic? #418

Halloweens Edition!
Draw your characters in costumes or something. Or at least discuss how you deal with holidays in your comic that exist purely for fun, and how hard it is when comic-time is so slow. 50% of GamerCat seems to be Halloween and another 40% seems to be Christmas.

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
sje2000.deviantart.com/journal/if-anyone-has-Comic-request-open-712391334
m.imgur.com/a/SI33J
youtube.com/watch?v=jVGu7QeqwtU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Previous thread:

let this be the last

reposting from last thread. got this done tonight.

I ready to see more comics.

>how you deal with holidays in your comic that exist purely for fun
I mess with my followers on April Fools, that's about it. I'm considering doing a Xmas themed comic for Halloween, may or may not go through with it.

Fists look like they could use some work.
Having him say anything where he says "too close" kinda clutters it a bit, it might be better for him to be silent there. I think it'd be better to show the light haired guy in the Nail Storm panel so you can see where they're coming from. Maybe it's obvious from a previous page, but I'm judging by solely on what's presented here.

a resize is always welcome

>tfw you realize you have no idea how to write characters that are actually amicable to each other because you're so disconnected from other people, causing you to realize writing is pointless because anything you do is doomed to be that thing where people are like "this creator has no idea what people or life is actually like" because you're too lazy to put in the effort of getting over your anxiety and actually trying to be around people and have friends

>have a comic about ghosts and witches
>never get anything done with it during October

They're practically made for each other and I drop the ball every time. I should really finish up Merchant & Pike so I can get back into it.

Pic unrelated: I believe some user wanted to see my process for making my comic.

>writing is pointless
You'll never know if you don't try.

I do try, how else would I have run into the wall the wall describes

You could always try writing a dysfunctional relationship instead of a Hollywood romance. Play to your strengths. Maybe even a romance where one party isn't even aware of the other person for a while.

It's weird seeing myself draw. It's also weird seeing myself draw at ludicrous speed.

Leave a reminder for yourself for next time, on a calendar or calendar app.

I aspire to be that good with crosshach shading

No time like the present, get practicing.

This is what I feel when I read a lot of the comics here, it makes me realize how inadequate I am myself. Seems like most of us are just social retards trying to fill the void with imaginary friends

Reposting from the last thread.

Not sure if anyone still remembers Kevin or even reads it, but the older brother in this is actually the hero that got killed on the second page.

I comissioned someone to draw Tulip for me. Damn they should just draw the comic

oh fuck, that's meta as hell

i know that feeling

If you're on Sup Forums in general, chances are you didn't make all the right decisions in life.

Study the techniques they used to make that and become better than them.

Feel like the dialogue ought to be more "has caught up" than "is trying to catch up."
Don't know the context for any of this, but the art is nice. Background in the last two panels is offputtingly bland, though.

inspiring...

Back when we started the comic, I wrote about this in the character biography section, but it took us two fucking years to get to that point.

I might change that. English isn't my first language but I thought "trying to catch up" kinda makes sense, because he's still trying to get away from his life as the demon lord.

The second page I posted was literally the second page we ever made and our first webcomic at all, so it looks like complete garbage.

>he's still trying to get away from his life as the demon lord
Maybe not "caught up" then, try "is catching up" rather than "trying to." "Is catching up" implies that the repercussions of his past are inevitable and from what you've told me, sounds more fitting in my opinion.
>The second page
That's fair, the art is still above my own capabilities.

I call it 'MegaManning', based on my favorite video game franchise.
You don't outright steal or trace the art, but look at the piece and pick out what bits of it you find most inspiring/useful to you and try to adapt a technique of your own to produce a similar effect.

For me, I might make the holiday comics non-canon (like you see here). Just something to have fun making without worry if the characters are out of character or not.

Non-canon side stories can be fun every now and then.

What's the most awkward thing you've done with/drawn in your comics?

I FUCKING HATE PERSPECTIVEEEEEEE

not really for a web comic.but a decently long comic regardless. just scribbled ideas down.

How do you guys keep motivated to work on your comic? I've been updating for a while now but barely have any readers and it makes me feel bad. I'm thinking of going on a hiatus for a while and to make a lot of pages so I can update more frequently in the future, but I'm still afraid no one will read it and I've been doing all this work for nothing.

It's like I'm trapped in a Twlight Zone of endless shitposting and having to read the same awful sob stories over and over again.

I don't really know of many methods myself, but you should definitely consider advertising your work a bit. Masses of people aren't going to magically discover you because you want them to.
Sometimes newcomers enter the general and face the same issues as people who have been here for a while. Shouldn't be too surprising.

ComicArtistPro Secrets on YouTube has a couple lessons on that subject early in his channel that you might find useful.

The art looks like it has potential to service a story.

Reposting as a promise to myself. Why do I keep doing things I know from experience don't work?

Guy who responded in the last thread, I see what you mean about the statueishness. I'll see about softening up the elves and maybe adding some irregularities to the rocks so you can tell 'em apart better.

Are they supposed to be statue statues or some Pompei shenanigans up in here? Nice art though.

They're not supposed to be made of rock at all. I think they're more like solid mist, or maybe the light that's caught in the mist. Possibly also some kind of living dead. They're a lot more diffuse and see-through when they're not lit up.

As nice as the art is to look at, if that's what you were going for, you may want to just make them transparent all the time. They look like they're made out of clay or soft stone.

>Masses of people aren't going to magically discover you because you want them to.
This. Try to branch out and post your comic wherever you can. Make a tumblr, twitter, DA. Just post it when ya can.

Yeah, that's what I meant by softening them up - softening the edges and making them more transparent in the areas that aren't hit by direct light.

Do any girls post in these threads? Or is it just fags?

>got a notification from Tapas this morning
>Help Wanted: An LGBT webcomic with excitement, mystery, and drama

If that and these threads any indication of what the competition is, then I've got nothing to worry about making this a full time job.

if someone in DeviantART, you have to or know someone who has Comics Requests Open

sje2000.deviantart.com/journal/if-anyone-has-Comic-request-open-712391334

>An LGBT webcomic with excitement, mystery, and drama
REMINDS ME OF SOMETHING

stop

Bump.

let it die

Pretty much any time two people have to be intertwined, whether dancing or grappling in combat

made a short comic with a friend's char and mine
m.imgur.com/a/SI33J

are you specifically looking for female comic creators or fag comic creators? we have both.

very nice vortex

It's more the color, honestly. If they're misty and ethereal (as they have looked so far, mostly) they should probably be lighter, right? She looked like a ghost when she first showed up, but since then you've been adding more deep grays and hard solid shading, so now they look like people made of darker gray clay

You're missing a rather unfortunate point. Competition isn't the real point here, but rather the specifics of the demand

Not as long as I keep constant updates and cram waifus down people's throats.

By god, if Sandra and Wu can do it anyone can.

I swear to God, one day I'll start to put even more effort into drawing. For some reason I still keep avoiding to use colours, it's just feels kinda alien to me.

well obviously you've put all your eggs in the inking basket. it's natural to feel iffy about a new category

Yer site's down. Did thecomicseries ban you even after you censored your shit?

Camilla is a bee for her first Halloween. I'll draw the rest of the crew later, this is just a waiting room sketch.

What are your Halloween plans, /hyw/?

>Carrion Girls shows absolutely GORGEOUS shot of the Elf village
>Green Knight stabs giant goat boss in the eye with a fire sword
>Miss Melee unlocks Qi powers a punches a fucking power-suits arm off
>Saffron displays her half-naked brown muscled goddess body

This was REALLY good week for /hyw/'s comics.

fucking adorable
>first halloween
was she just made in a lab or did she just have shitty parents and this is the first time she's been allowed?
>plans
friends of mine told me they were doing things, but didn't give enough details to indicate an invite to join them. I don't really wanna give out candy because there's no TV and computer by the door.

please be my halloween artist date

The server was down for a moment

my eyes are up here!

I found your alternate site anyway

>
Why do you want to know

A little bit of this, a little bit of that
And damn, that sucks.
I wish! Got a night class. Although I was dressed as Selena yesterday at a little party my school threw.
I'll send a rare Camilla your way later

thanks man. hardly have gotten any feedback on this page so i appreciate it.

I'll go back over the previous pages and see what I'm missing then.

I didn't see you'd already replied that should probably be fine.

Less talking, post your Halloween Art!

any vegan webcomics?

>dressing up for Halloween when you're already exactly the sort of supernatural creature that would be riding in the wild hunt

I think most webcomics are vegan.

I love how you can still tell it's him, and he has a perfectly designed costume
I'll just post this old halloween thing I made two years ago for the thread
If I ever print mine I plan to print it on vellum/parchment. None of that dead tree shit. 100% dead animal bound in leather. haha no it would have to be a scroll

I made a halloween special.

Guess which character's which!

youtube.com/watch?v=jVGu7QeqwtU

I enjoyed that
I can't even tell if you're making fun of rick and morty fans or making fun of the way people make fun of rick and morty fans.

>What are your Halloween plans, /hyw/?
I will be working the nightshift about 10-11 hours depending. I will be sleeping right up until about an hour before I have to go to work.

I will do the same thing when I came back.

You'll make it soon, guy. You're professional quality.

>LGBT webcomic
>excitement, mystery, and drama
Pick one

well they certainly have drama galore, and not the good kind
as for mystery... i mean you can't tell who's what without a scorecard. it's just that they love providing those.

there dressed as eachother

I used to love figuring out things like this as a kid, how one character would look like another if they could restyle, but not recolor or grow, their hair, etc

Think I got a better handle on the elves in panel 3.
Kind of wanted to do a little halloween thing*, but I ended up not finding the time. Maybe I can find some viking-age celebration that involved dressing up and use that as an excuse.

*Skeggi as Calvin, Blái as Hobbes and Skalmold as Little My

yeah panel 3 looks way better.

Say what you will about the normalization of LGBTQETC people in society, a romance can gain a great deal of extra drama and complexity by having more orientations to work with (and the fact that people might keep it secret allows for twists you just can't have in straight fiction).

Mathematically your statement is true
but I feel like we never had a deficit of diversity or complex conflict before. Plus I tire quickly of reading about love that seems not to function properly. Asymmetrically, unrequitedly, etc. Like how the shit could you ever be bisexual and monogamous? You'd be missing out on half of your thing

Romance isn't really my thing to be honest. It seems pretty offputting when it feels more like the creator is going for a quota, and it doesn't help the most noticeable work in that regard is now a Sup Forums meme.

That's like asking how you could be into men and monogamous when both whites and asians exist. Committing to just one woman and giving up men is no different from committing to just one white man and giving up the BBC.

Yeah I'm not saying LGBT romance is inherently good or that older and more traditional approaches to romance don't have their advantages. And you're completely right about the quota's. I feel like a lot of people are telling stories that make sense in their head but don't actually resonate with the truth in their hearts, if that makes sense.

you do see the slight discontinuity in your comparison, right?

fuck comics, fuck this gay shit

No.

Good to hear. Now I just need to figure out what I want the king to look like and what the dialogue for the page is gonna be and I'll have a straight path to the finish line.

a knight for a fantasy comic im workin on

very interesting style you have there. It's awesome but it's so heavily stylized I'm nto sure if those are feet I'm looking at down below or just a mass of awesome graphics and well-smudged color.