Continuation of last night's thread

Continuation of last night's thread.

Why don't US high schools teach woodshop anymore? The shop in pic related is from Medina Valley High School.

Not to sound like a boomer, but most kids today are massive faggots who have no interest in any kind of manual/technical skills.

This. Today's youths would cut their hands off and die in a lathe.

Because college dreams offer the pretext that design is more important than skill/labor.

Redpill: Design without skill is still a bad design

all of those kids look like huge fucking faggots

This
It's also considered "too dangerous" by most people nowadays
Plus why teach wood shop when you can just import millions of illegal immigrants to do woodshop for you xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa XDDDDDDDDDDDD

Thanks for your input

I'm sure US high schools get plenty of wood craft

Before the avalanche of "muh kids these days, dont know the valie of good hatd work" Its because of budget. Schools dont have money anymore, so they cut where test scores are unnefected, ie shop, music, art, home ec. Sports are about all the fat thats left to trim, maybe it'll be that which wakes normies up.

But they do

>about to comment that my school had shop class
>remember that was almost a decade ago

Probably because every burger oldfag here has a great first hand story of some injury in woodshop
> Picked up a kids finger and put it in styrofoam cup with ice to be sent to hospital after he was taken away

I took a metalworking/welding class in high school. not sure if my HS still offers it (graduated in 2007)

All teenagers do

15 for me

This is the most correct answer ITT

We had woodworking and construction at my high school you could also ask to do co-op stuff where they send you out in the field. Shit was fun.

My middle schol had a shop class. This was only like 6 years ago

Many schools are held to budgetary constraints, there's extra insurance that had to be paid for these classes in the event someone cuts their fingers off. It's easier to cut the class out of the curriculum than pay/deal with insurance.

TL;DR Insurance.

I made a little wooden stool about 20 years ago and I still use it to this day.

I loved woodwork in year 12, I made a cabinet and a wardrobe. Kids nowadays are faggots and all want to be human rights advocates to suck brown cock. Also modern teachers all like projecting onto their students and tell them that uni is the only option is life and that trades are for losers.

So, to paraphrase: Jews. It's because of Jews.

Because building a clock is fucking stupid. If they taught you framing or some thing useful it would be worth it.
Wood working tools are expensive for their usefulness in a classroom. Here use this 2000 dollar plainer then sand this box for 20mins until class is over.
See you tomorrow where we teach you how to use wood fill and stain.

Can you imagine 80 iq retards in woodshop? Imagine the lawsuits when said retards cut their hands or bang their fingers with hammers or drive nails through each other?

pay denbts

Isn't this always the answer?

combination of lawsuits, alleged sexism (only the boys did woodshop), and "FUCK TRADE JOBS GO TO COLLEGE FOR AN ART DEGREE" mentality.

Because it's "too dangerous" kek.

wat there's no woodshop?

That shit was fun and you got to learn a bit of safety and stuff.

I had woodworking in middle school for about 4 weeks. That was it. It was fun as fuck and I would enjoy building shit with wood. I've built a boat for children at some program.

Nowadays it's just sit in class and listen to the teacher talk and do homework. It's fucking boring.

They still do you fucking autists

>source

Woodshop teacher

He's right.
I took welding and machine shop about 2 years ago in my public high school. Out of a class of about 30 kids, only about 10 would actually do any work. The rest would just sit the classroom and jack off for an hour. Some would maybe do the absolute bare minimum the last day of class before grades were due to get a D+.

The thing that always got me was, as long as you TRIED, you could get an A in the class, you didn't even have to be good. Why would anyone sign up for a class just to sit around for an hour and do nothing?

I did woodshop in high school, most of the time the teacher put us in groups around these 4-5 old as fuck computers that he dug out of trash somewhere and made us play The Incredible Machine. Or read a book / watch film about how a bridge was built somewhere.

We did go into the warehouse and make things with the actual woodcutting machines, maybe twice all year.
I assume it's because he was lazy as fuck. Would you want to supervise a bunch of stranger's kids around a dangerous industrial machine? I wouldn't

Because you are forced to choose a specific number of classes and we were kids before. If you can find a way to cheat then you would.

It's only been 3 years but my school had a lot of electives. I never took them but they had woodshop, an actual autoshop open to the public, welding classes, and a bunch of other shit. I took a bunch of classes relating to networking, computer repair, programming etc

Here they dropped it from the curriculum because the mexicans were making pipes and welding knives and brass knuckles. Funny they gave zero fucks about that ir when a student git beat retarded, but hit one teacher with brass knuckles and it was instantly over.

That's gay. I got involved with technical theater and got to run wild with power tools, carbon arc lights, running high voltage lines at 400A, changing up the 1000W per driver amps so the fucking thing wouldn't buzz, etc.

Shit was cash. I actually made money for a while pretending to be a general contractor based on that learning experience. Fun as hell. Plasma cutters are awesome.

>Why would anyone sign up for a class just to sit around for an hour and do nothing?
Why wouldn't they?

I had these classes around 2002 as a 12yo lad and we were one of the last generation to do this stuff. Computer classes replace it for good.

We watched our woodshop teacher cut his pinky off. It was put on ice but they couldn't reattach it.

It promotes toxic masculinity

Because for me anyways, it's boring to sit around in a classroom for an hour doing nothing.
I don't know, it's especially weird to me because their alternative to sitting around in a classroom was literally go play with fire and heavy machinery in the next room. I don't know how they never saw the appeal in that.

Mind had half a ring finger on one hand. He'd hold that up in front the class and explain that if you do this for long enough you're going to lose a finger and how his teacher had only two fingers left on one of his hands.

Plenty of good stories, too, like the time one of the morons in his class started baning hammers together until one shattered and threw a bajillion fragments of steel into his forearm and he had to spend like a week in the hospital.

Seems to me that was highly effective when it came to teaching safety.

My high school had it combined with tech.

My H.S. had wood shop, a metal shop, and an automotive shop. I graduated in 2000 so i really dont give a fuck if they have that shit anymore

>Why don't US high schools teach woodshop
>The shop in pic related is from Medina Valley High School
Gee op I guess you answered your own question by finding an example of woodshop.

It's called being forced to take electives/ gen eds so students pick the easiest classes with no effort. Happens across the board in high school & college.

The problem is a standardized approach to public education plans which pushes everyone towards academia because the public consensus is that higher education is detrimental.
In reality, inflation of academic degrees (and especially ones in common fields such as humanities) is bad for everyone involved -- those already with degrees because , those who are planning on getting degrees and those who would've done a lot better outside of college but were pressured into going there - not to mention, government subsidies of student loans and the great inflation of students means that education itself keeps getting more and more expensive for everyone.

Parents and society into pressuring children into degrees they don't need while entirely ignoring crafts and skills such as woodwork, welding, locksmiths, plumbers, auto repair and maintenance jobs-most of which can reach wages a lot higher than art students, some higher than STEM subjects.

As a carpenter this makes me sad.

Because young people can't make anything. They just stare at their phones and sigh. Some attempt to make dildos and end up with splinters

Do you guys still have your old creations? Made these things in highschool (Metal) and kindergarden. (Wood and clay stuff).

>Kid stuck his finger through the stationary bandsaw
Really the only injury our shop had for 4 years according to our teacher at the time.

That tiny chair is really cool man.
I don't have a picture of it on my computer, but in Machine shop I made an air motor (it was a class project, everyone had to make one), and in welding class I made a little model AT-AT.

>be me
>be first year in high school
>school has STEM program
>teacher for the STEM program is based as fuck old engineer who knows everything
>learn lots of shit
>get free carbon fiber
>get free 3d printer/laser engraver usage
>retired at the end of my senior year
>check in a few months ago
>program is being run by some genxer who has literally no idea what he's doing
>no one is doing cool shit anymore, just lecture and no actual shop experience

My school did all 4 years, we had auto class as well for 3 years, it wasnt mandatory and i'd say you'd maybe get 20-50 guys each year but that was it. Most people didn't wanna get their hands dirty.

We had a team project to build model's of America's Cup boats. I've still got my team's boat but I don't have any pictures of it.

Schools are too worried about kids getting hurt these days because they will get sued. I've seen some of the local school districts remove playground equipment in recent years like monkey bars and anything that can be climbed on like slides.

Hover parenting is at an epidemic level so kids aren't able to do anything on their own.

There isn't a state/national test for woodshop that will determine next year's budget so schools have no reason to fund it especially given the above. There's quite a bit of expensive equipment to set up and maintain.

>Fat kid thinks it would be a good idea to try using the buffer on the lettering on his shirt
>Hear a scream everyone looks over to see him shirtless with the buffer grinding away against his manboobs.

>All those glasses
Our craft teacher just told us scary stories about lost eyes in the past so we were careful.

Why are teachers in American schools so lenient? How are kids getting away with sitting around doing nothing? Do the teachers just not give a shit because of low pay?

If you sat around doing nothing at my old high school you'd get sent to the deputy principal.

Is it as commonly available as it was 10 years ago? Has your budget kept up? Enquiring minds want to know.

Do you mean teach woodshop as part of the standard curriculum or as an elective?

because the overwhelming majority of High Schools in my area have woodshop as an elective. The schools who don't are the musical arts schools, or schools that just don't have the money to fund much more than your usual high school classes.

Fuck off pepsi shaman

Money is probably the biggest issue, followed closely by lack of interest from the kids themselves.

Like, a highschool has say 50 grand budget. Do they buy like 10-15 decent wood lathes that can practically ONLY be used for a wood based manufacturing class? Or like 500 computers that can be used for practically every subject under the sun including manufacturing (doing a CAD design course ect).

I think in my teacher's cases, it was more of a don't give a shit attitude. As in, they didn't give a shit if you didn't do any work because it only affected you, the student and your grade, not them, the teacher.
It's not like you can necessarily force a kid to weld or whatever, and if the kid didn't want to, it was probably for the best so nothing stupid or dangerous happened

Now everything is made abroad, I had a 17 year old lad at my work who didn't know how to use a battery drill.

>if the kid didn't want to, it was probably for the best so nothing stupid or dangerous happened

Where's the logic in that? Any man can weld and cut wood.

It's exactly the same is Australia. The problem is simple
>Teachers are not held accountable for poor performance
>Teachers are practically impossible to fire

An excellent teacher has no professional advantage over a shit teacher. They don't get better pay, don't get better opportunities, and if anything, are more heavily scrutinized. The entire Education industry is just an ever-growing cesspool of complete disconnected, incompetent teachers who can't be fired due to enormous amounts of government meddling preventing schools from doing what actually needs to be done.

Did you go to a private / religious school?

Because i mean i jumped highschools every few months thanks to my dads job and even private schools were pretty chill so long as your assignments got done.

But not every man wants to. You can lead a horse to water.

Or they can be completely uninterested and careless enough to burn themselves or cut their fingers off.

I agree with you, by the way. It's sad how things are, but again, you can't really force these kids to do something they have no interest in. They'd rather sit in the classroom than do anything resembling work.

Michigan here, 4 years of woodshop. Made a long bow that got runner up in the state fair.

My high school had good tech electives but no actual woodshop. Computers are cheaper than bandsaws and schools are probably worried about getting sued for millions when some retard millenial cuts off a finger.

My rural/suburban NJ high school had wood and metal shop, I don't know where you faggots went to high school.

The bad teachers get sent to the backwater nowhere schools in Cobar and Mildura. I find the larger inner city schools are a lot more selective because of the ranking system and all.

Public co-ed.

Then why did they pick the class? A student shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing. If they don't want to work with their hands, you put a worksheet in front of them on schematics or electrical diagrams and tell them to sit at a desk.

This is the job of the head teachers and deputy principals to enforce, which is what almost all teachers aim for thus are more than likely going to be highly competent at their job.

Well there are hackerspaces with woodworking equipment and you can advertise woodworking lessons for parents, who want their kid to know something after he finishes school other than "rape is bad".

Schools have no time for other things. Because rape is really very bad.

Some people are pretty helpless. I didn't try welding until I got into university, and I did it on the side because I had a friend who let me into the facilities.

He took my first mig job to the professor (a master welder) in order to get permission to continue letting me use the place and the prof took a look and said he's had students who would try all semester and couldn't lay a bead like that. I suspect it helped that I'd learned to solder in high school and soldered things in my spare time -- another thing where a lot of people have trouble getting the knack for it.

do to an increase in kids being put on mind altering medicine's and people suing their schools if they get a papercut.
my schools woodshop/autobody building was turned into a special ed/comp lab.

manliest class i could take was home ec

Most people are lazy and will take the path of least resistance.
>you mean I can get take an easy elective that doesn't count against any admission requirements and do jack shit? Sign me up.
I'm not saying it's good, but it's a common attitude. Look at all the able-minded/bodied people on neetbux.

So the state education board just doesn't give a fuck about fixing up shit schools because of the threat of a lawsuit? It's going to occur no matter what? Just give them the money they deserve for whatever the injury was for. Have everyone in the class fill out incident reports the day it happened so there's no doubt it was an accident.

>Teachers are not held accountable for poor performance
>Teachers are practically impossible to fire
Here it's more of an issue of states cutting funding to underperforming schools. Highschools in inner cities have kids that can't read, but they still graduate them for fear of shutting down otherwise.

It's pretty depressing.

Still available at the school where I went, younger sibling is taking it now. Glad I took it too, it was fun, gratifying work and the teacher was extremely red pilled.

Teachers dont give a shit because the parents are so fucking terrible. If a teacher does or says one thing wrong or outside the box and a parent doesn't like it the teacher gets in trouble. If the kid is being shitty its the teachers fault for punishing the kid. They cant do anything, So they do the bare minimum because the typical bitch hover mom and retard dad with no backbone let their poor little Timothy eat his childhood obesity food and talk out of turn to further the situation into a shitty daycare where they learn to count to ten instead of learn to science.

TL;DR everything about this boild down to poor parenting government spending cuts for schools and likely jews for making learning standards so low in the U.S.

put down the garden hose bong m8.

Partly that but also poor and highly defensive hover parenting combined with a lack of will to teach beyond the no child left behind test standards..

They do but it's no longer required. Woodshop classes are electives.

When I was in trade school the instructors were required to pass students who should fail in order to keep the graduation rate up.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

You cut the wood to the right length or the wrong length. It's not relative. There aren't lots of lengths of wood equally valid if you want it to fit. Wood doesn't have 50 genders.
This triggers the rest of the faculty.

Because they have "pre engineering" or "intro to technology"

T. Graduated highschool in 2012 when the great cuckening hadn't infected every aspect of society yet

By senior year I was spending 2 of 7 periods fucking around with a metal shop and, CNC lathe, laser cutter, and a 4'x8' CNC mill

Then again my school was a "magnet" with a science focus so muhstem was pushed. Still you were talking a school with 3000 kids and like 200 of them on total per year took that course. Like 20 seniors that knew their ass from their hat with hand tools, 3D design, and machining.

I made a torsion crossbow for my senior final in that class

>Imagine 80iq retards with tools
So every itinerant mexican who built your house?

The fact that skilled labor is shit on so hard now a days is why there isn't a straight line on most modern stud and sheetrock shitboxes

Shop is sexist. There are no female shop teachers. So it must end.

Well isn't it better for Darwin Award winners to be spotted early in life? You see someone who nicked off parts of themselves in class, you know there is some type of deficiency there...

I did electrical tech. Donated everything back to the class though. Had an analog phone, radio, LED pyramid with a custom driver, power supply, etc. All made from the kits.

That class was awesome. Soldered stuff, built things, learned to code PIC basic and some C, played a lot of diablo II.

>working with tree carcasses

>Not having the pride of building something with your bare hands.

>tfw your buddy asks you to build something for him

>Be american
>Going to get scary black salt rifle
>Buy all the parts because your not a cuck
>Put it together
>mfw "i made this" feel

Wood is a cuck material desu senpai.

as far as i know most schools still do. my school had like 4 or 5 different classes all related to woodshop but specializing in different things: electricity & electronics, fabrication & design, advanced engineering, robotics, and an 8th grade level course just known as STEM because my highschool housed the 8th grade for some reason as well.
the classes were popular at my school because the engineering department were cool as fuck.

rural schools still might. i had wood shop, home ec and printing classes even in the 90s. im 40 but grew up in fuck all northern michigan...