Why was Elisa Maza black?

Why was Elisa Maza black?

I'm not complaining, it's just a rather out of place thing to do in the early 90's. Giving a black woman the role of a MC and making her a deep and complex character. Was Gargoyles ahead of its time?

Other urls found in this thread:

s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=1611
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

She's Black/Native American

But honestly based on the art style can't blame anyone for not knowing

>I'm not complaining, it's just a rather out of place thing to do in the early 90's.
No it wasn't. Black being regular on television started in the 80's.
>Giving a black woman the role of a MC
While important, she is closer to a secondary role. The main cast are the Gargoyles.
>and making her a deep and complex character.
Basically everyone was deep and complex in that show.
>Was Gargoyles ahead of its time?
It's not that it was ahead, it's that it was a fucking masterpiece.

Also, your question actually has an answer: the Voice actress casted out for her role turned out to be Half Black/Half Native american and the showrunners thought she looked cool, so Eliza was redesigned to look like her.

i always tought she was native american, never thought she was black.
not that i complain

>the Voice actress cast out for her role turned out to be Half Black/Half Native american

No she isn't. One of her parents is. She is half white, 1/4 the rest. Guess they figured that's too complicated.

I wouldn't even call her black.
She has African ancestry but her name and her predominant physical features certainly don't allude to it.

She was designed as hispanic but changed backstory wise because of the VA.

You know we had episodes with both her parents right? Her dad was a cop on a reservation and her mom was an anthropologist that specialized in African folklore.

anthropologist? wooo i didnĀ“t knew now i love this show evenmore

The real question is whether her pussy survived Goliath's BPC or not.

gargoyles are like gorillas , if anything she was super dissapointed

I think it's canon they're hung but to the point it's physically incompatible with humans.
Also Goliath isn't physically attracted to humies.

that makes no sense for them biologically, not only do they have all the reasons not to have much there that all uprigtht apes do, but they also have all the problems flying and hibernating animals do to. like ninety percent of them have to have taking some real damage if their only wearing super skimpy loincloths.

always thought she was white, shes definatly mixed racce

Naw, it's canon that male gargoyles are very well endowed, and that Goliath is very much a "goliath" under his belt too.

>always thought she was white

Do you live in the fucking Congo?

>I'm not complaining, it's just a rather out of place thing to do in the early 90's.
nigga, diversity was EVERYWHERE in the 90's

Thought she was just tanned.
Didn't care enough to actually think about it.
Amazing I am being forced to actually think about it in modern cartoons.

Geez man, it was the 90s, not the 50s.

The rest of the world doesnt have the moral values of Sup Forums.

>The rest of the world doesnt have the moral values of Sup Forums.
And thank fuck for that.

No Weisman is just a SJW (before we had a term) for them. It's just less offensive now because society has caught up with him.

>Was Gargoyles ahead of its time?
Yes, but Elisa isn't really an example of that.

s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=1611
i'm not even surprised it's canon

I wish there were more Elisa episodes. She was a really good character that kept getting shafted

You can't just ask people why they're black, user.

why? are you black? why are you black?

>less offensive

It was never offensive.

She is not black.

She is brown.

>It's not that it was ahead, it's that it was a fucking masterpiece.
To be fair it still was ahead of it's time. It and BTAS are the shows that forced action cartoons to evolve into what they were until recently.
I think she is but not for the reason OP thinks. Gargoyles put characters first and market demographics second and very few shows before it did that.