It's Halloween

It's Halloween.
Let's talk about Over the Garden Wall.

Have you watched it recently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UwUoMN3pK_s
mega.nz/#!TogBBAQZ!VIUhLTWhF3tdDORXEltJMpoiB6ZZkAYgXhmM9eEYclk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yea I watched it with my friend on his projector last week.

Damn I love this series so much, might give it another watch.

It's become a Halloween tradition to watch for me. Very well done series. I wish CN would do more miniseries like this.

Greg annoys me so much every time I rewatch at the start, but he becomes endearing by the end.

Greg is adorable though

I'm downloading it right now, can you recommend other toons like this?

Yeah, I had discovered a detail about the alternative ending for the story (that one with Wirt staying in the unknown). There is a big chance of that during the epilogue we could see to Beatrice "passing the salt" to Wirt during the family dinner.

The scene that we saw in the cartoon is probably a modifcated scene of that one since Wirt staying in the unknown seems to be the original ending.

I left my DVD copy at home so my parents could watch it. They really liked it

its very good

>passing the salt
I see what you mean

>alternative ending for the story (that one with Wirt staying in the unknown).

What's all this about?

Never watched it.
Didn't know it was Halloween related either.

I'll watch it on November 1st; I like watching new stuff on Halloween and I'd rather reserve this particular show for later.

It's not a major part of the plot, but there are pieces of it that occur on Halloween.

I still haven't watched it for some reason. Time to get on it I think.

it's late autumn-early winter.

The soundtrack is comfy as hell

Watching it right now as per tradition actually

Watching right now actually. That opening poem already has me hard.

currently watching
shit's cash as it was the first time
one of my favorite animated things

What's Nick Cross working on nowadays?

Like all good coming of age stories, it makes me want to kill myself

Wirt was gonna stay and become the new Woodsman/carrier of the lantern. I don't think any details besides that were released.

What are the creators of otgw doing now?

I have it up on one screen while I convert some Heavy Metal to PDF. I'm surprised it hasnt been on at all on the ol cable box. Think it'll show up around Thanksgiving?

Same just finished the second episode. I can already hear "Potatoes and Molasses" in my head.

I don't know what it is about tales of southern romanticism and wonder that draw me in.
While this is my favorite cartoon, my favorite film is Big Fish.
I'm gonna see if I can get my roommate to watch this with me, though I do plan on watching it again this week.

Huh? Not, I mean it literally. There are some parts of the comics books that have hints to the alternative ending. Beatrice probably passed the salt to Wirt during the family dinner of the last sequence. Because now she is a slightly better person kek.

Nick seems to be working on both Infinity Train and Summer Camp Island.

I don't think it got particularly great ratings, so I don't know if CN has reaired it much.

So was Wirt dressed as a garden gnome?

It's much more New England than southern

>On episode 5
>Just no realize "one is a bird" plays in the background when Beatrix talks about becoming a bluebird

McHale said that he was planned an alternative ending with Wirt staying in the unknown, this was supposed to be a happy ending too. Because it seems like "it's just a matter of perspective..." and he being unable to return home don't mean that he can't be happy enjoying being in the unknown, this is hinted in the comics books.

Don't lie man, it's more likely that Beatrice's family just adopt him since this was supposed to be a happy ending. Then in the last sequence Beatrice would pass the salt to him during the family dinner.

>CN thought Cat in the Hat was a better choice then OtGW for Halloween day

Nah even if that is weird looking, it's a normal dressing for that time, yeah red pointy hats was normal in some moment of our history. Gnomes are wearing like traditional people of that times.

>hey let's play too old cat
>Sorry, that cat is too old
lmao good shit

Good catch. This is my first rewatch and I hadn't known that either. Hoping to catch a couple other nods.

>watching it again for the xth time
>always catch some new detail that hints towards the ending
How did we get something this good from a studio otherwise full of shit?

For me it's become a Thanksgiving tradition. Halloween already has a ton of media associated with it, while Thanksgiving has (in my experience) only football and star wars. OTGW feels more like Autumn than Halloween, even stretching into Winter towards the end. The themes of identity and direction also feel appropriate for Thanksgiving when you get to see and catch up with your extended family.

It's just a great series to watch any time during the fall.

I had never understand what means the rest of the song. Do you have an idea?

One is a bird = Beatrix
Two are the trees = Greg and Wirt
Three are the wind in the leaves = Wirt, Greg, and either the frog or Beatrix
Four are the stars = Probably all of them, Wirt, Greg, Frog, Beatrix
Five with the moon = All four plus the woodsman I'd guess
etc.

Basically the song is about all the characters in the show

Was thinking of rewatching it tonight. One of my few cartoon 10/10s besides SJ.

I kinda wish this show got more seasons. Wirt and Greg's story was over, but they could've pulled a Fargo and made the other seasons about different characters while taking place in the same universe. Like, the first season had a clear New England in Autumn aesthetic, maybe the other seasons could have covered other (huehue) seasons and romanticized versions of American regions. Like the South in Summer, the Upper Midwest in Winter, and so on.

I don't know. I think part of the appeal is that it's a simple one and done story. Sometime it's nice to have something that just stands on its own and doesn't need to keep going.

Not that I'd say no to more, though.

Woah, there is similar song in "For sara", is these kind of songs "one, two, three... etc" some kind of culture reference of your country?

Man I'd forgotten what a top-tier villain The Beast is

>The Bell Rings
Preparing for some maximum spook.

It also plays twice at the end of episode 9, firs by Beatrix's mother when Wirt wakes up and at the very end a piano instrumental as Wirt leaves the tree

But that doesn't contradict what I said. The point of an anthology is that you can reexplore a setting while being free to retire characters who've already served their purpose.

>The loveliest lies of all
Shieeet mang, I watch it every halloween since it came out and it's just as good every time

I saw a young teenager dresses as Wirt and a her toddler sister dressed as Greg over the weekend.

It was extremely cute.

My friend told me he saw a girl dressed as wirt and he was the first person to actually understand her costume.

Apparently she was a qt too, he's an idiot for not swooping in on that.

>not photographing them for the edification of your fellow anons
i guess i can respect that

I think one of the things I love about the series is how it builds. Pretty mild and silly at the start, and then slowly gets darker as it goes on. Good transition.

That Beast reveal.

I love Langtree.

youtube.com/watch?v=UwUoMN3pK_s

The only thing I think I don't like is the Woodsman's daughter being alive at the end. Just seems like it would work better if there was no way to bring her back.

>Lorna reading "Tome of the Unknown" at the end
It's the little things

Hmm. Fair point.
Counterpoint: what's with George Washington being naked?

My mom is big on making "traditions" for holidays like she's afraid if she doesn't everyone will drift away and never come back for Christmas.

Even before she started acting like that we always watched the peanuts Halloween special. It's probably the most dull of the older peanuts cartoons, the least entertaining. You can only watch it if you're 8 and in a sugar comma after trick or treating.

Since this show came out I pushed it as an alternative for the family "kids are still awake but done trick or treating and the older adults who don't like horror movies are still awake" tradition. So for what is this, the third year now? Now we watch this together, and it's just so cozy and warm.

Does anyone know where to get this in good quality? I had it on my computer but my hard drive killed itself and i lost it forever. I watched it every year at this time, I would love to see it again.

Hulu if you're desperate, Cartoon network streams it on their site. Both good quality.

Less good quality, any cartoon streaming sites.

More effort: piracy.

You don't have to look far.

The theme is that he was the one who was lost. It's the same theme as with most everyone in the show. They think their problems are something else, something external, but the problem is in their mind and once they learn the truth or realize it they are free from the purgatory the unknown had them trapped in.

Auntie Whispers could have forced the spirit away but at the cost or being forever lonely, or so she believe, so that option hadn't occurred to her at all and they were both trapped in a cycle as a result.

Enticott was too afraid to face his fears so he wandered the halls slowly driving himself mad because he was afraid of what might have been true, but it was all in his head.

Everyone at the school kept their problems inside and then let their frustrations and worries out on those around them. They saw everything was hopeless but there were plenty of solutions, they just needed to look outside themselves for answers.

Beatrice believed she needed to do things on her own, it was her fault and her responsibility, so she would do whatever it took. What she needed was help, and to ask others for help and to help them in return.

They were all afraid of the unknown, get it? They were afraid of what could happen so they ran, kept to themselves, hid, worried, and made things worse for themselves and those around them, all out of that fear.

The woodsman was lied to and feared losing his daughter, so he kept chasing her ghost for years, afraid of losing what little of her he had, but the truth was she was never lost. Just like everyone else, he was lost in the unknown, afraid, without direction, wandering in fear.

Until someone came and tripped him up and knocked him out of it. And all the spooky things are in reality not as spooky as they were.

>They were all afraid of the unknown, get it?

Dang, neat

Would you guy categorize OtGW as specifically a Halloween special? Or perhaps just a general autumn kind of thing?

I'd like to know how the Woodsman ended up in the position he was in, though. Like what made him believe his daughter was dead?

I would say a bit of both, although I think that because it does explicitly take place on Halloween, I would call it a Halloween special

He's a frog user, he's supposed to be naked

They sang a song about the beast, not to believe his lies. He needs people trapped in the woods so he'll lie to get them to give up or on escaping, or else keep them distracted and wandering until the forest can claim them.

Add to that the beginning where the woodsman's daughter was on the porch and something in the woods catches her eye.

>She goes wandering
>the woodsman goes looking, he ends up in the unknown, looking for her.
>The beast claims she is already gone and the woodsman should give up.
>He doesn't believe the beast
>the beast says as proof his search is futile, her soul is in the lantern
>he fights the beast and takes the lantern
>the beast laughs and tells him that if the lantern ever goes out his daughter will be lost forever
>the woodsman is now trapped in a lie and afraid of what is outside the lie.

The lies become a cold prison but fear of the light outside keeps them from leaving the lies.

After originally watching it when it came out I picked it out as a family thing when everyone was together for Christmas. It was nice. We had hot cider and had fun.

But since then its been a Halloween special.

I think my only condition is that if you watch it earlier than Halloween then it needs to at least be cold enough outside.

I'm on the last episode and midnight is 15 minutes away. I'm just in time to watch this for Halloween.

Why doesn't the Beast's song rhyme?

Because it's operatic

The toymaker is the only one in the tavern who isn't named, but his toys of the other patrons are shown in the intro and outro. They were all his toys in need of someone to play with them. They needed a story to be a part of and they kept trying to make one of Wirt. Their purpose outside of that was teaching Wirt about needing to find himself.

While everyone had their own problems they had the duel effect of teaching Wirt and Gregg enough that they could eventually figure their problems out.

>mfw I didn't see the twist coming in the Aunti Whispers episode
The show keeps messing with your expectations, making nice-looking things sinister and sinister-looking things nice, and she keeps talking about people BEING eaten instead of talking about eating people herself, and I still fell for it.

Just finished it once more. This series is, and probably will be, my favorite cartoon. The aesthetics are god-tier and I can't think of another show that does "Americana" better. It also inspired me to learn to play the piano so I could play the opening poem.

Same, I watch it every year with old high school marching band friends. It helps us remember all of the good HS feelings and adventures we shared, and by the end we're all wistful and nostalgic and kind of sad.

I love catching new things every time I rewatch it. I just realized tonight that the grave Wirt leans on in "Into the Unknown" is the grave of Quincy Endicot.

Check out this pic I had commissioned
Its cute

So what's the secret behind the black turtles? I remember there being theories about those when this first aired. What's their deepest lore?

tfw no potatoes and molasses

and it's funny because she was still actually the villain (keeping the awful murder ghost around from fear of abandonment), just not in the way we thought.

I guess it's not the end of the world to kill people in purgatory but I mean shit. Maybe she only let her gobble degenerates?

OTGW don't have a message or a theme as a whole, it's just a story trying to tell itself.

Kek now I wanna see his zombie version

It clearly does. Things aren't always what they first seem to be is another running theme

Sometimes I ask myself if there is supposed to be a simile between Wirt and Endicot, what do you think?

That's not a message, yeah maybe is a theme, but it's not a message. But talking about Wirt and Greg there is not something about resolutions behind of they leaving the unknown. They can leave because the Beast is dead because The Unknown is not the purgartory but the Hell instead.

The Beast is interpretating to Lucifer, lord of the hell who is in the last floor of the Hell, the frozen lake the floor for the traitors. (That's because Wirt found Beatrice in the last episode) Lucifer just can move throught the Hell using his shadow and Dante and Virgil (Greg) just can leave the hell when they defeat him.

The Beast can't live without his lantern because he is a shadow and a shadow can't exist without a light to make it. Just like Lucifer The Beast has the capacity to keep the people in the forest.

I don't understand why so many people confuse the Hell with the Purgatory, the floors of the purgatory are different. And Greg's name is a traslation of the name Virgil.

sara are you ok? are you ok?

I only wish I had someone to watch it with, but well, I'll have fun doing it alone.

Not sure if it'll reach you on time but
mega.nz/#!TogBBAQZ!VIUhLTWhF3tdDORXEltJMpoiB6ZZkAYgXhmM9eEYclk

I have no hard evidence, but Endicott's name may be a reference/homage to Nathaniel Hawthorne. Endicott was a real, historical Puritan whom Hawthorne fictionalized in two of his short stories, "Endicott and the Red Cross" and "The May-pole of Merry Mount". It's a tenuous connection, but the reason I think it may be true is because Hawthorne is the undisputed king of New England folklore, and I wonder if McHale was influenced by him at all.

I wouldn't worry about it,

Im worrying about it!

Wow, that's pretty interesting user.

I still haven't watched it. I keep telling myself I'll watch it this year on Halloween but I got no time again, friends invited me to go see Thor: Ragnarok.

THE BEAST, ANONS! BEWARE THE BEAST!

I think the woodsman is dead and reunited with his daughter
idc how convincing the beast is
how do you not notice yur daughter is alive?
he dead

Huh, so did I. At a party with pizza and cider?

Is one of my friends actually on Sup Forums?

It might be in the comics if anything.

Thank you!

If Wirt isn't annoying you from the very beginning you need to grow up some.

You're welcome user.