Is Busiec Avengers' run worth reading? If not, any good superhero team comics recomendations?

Is Busiec Avengers' run worth reading? If not, any good superhero team comics recomendations?

Best modern Avengers run.

No

Yes definitely. It doesnt necessarily read as contemporary, because of how decompressed, meta and snarky modern scripting has become, but the plots, characterization, and observance of continuity are great.

That's the problem. I don't want a comic that is only good by Avengers standart. I want an overall good team superhero comic.

great hank pym/janet stuff

Fuck you too then.

It didn't even read as 'modern' when it was new, it reads more like a Bronze Age book, and that's not for everyone.

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn good. Busiek should stay far away from the X-Men, but his Avengers is good.

Great post, master shitposter.

uncanny avengers vol 1
uncanny avengers vol 3
uncanny x force vol 1
hickman f4
hickman new avengers/infinity/TRO/SW
gillis uncanny xmen

i found busiecs avengers too... old

The only good comics on your list are Hickman F4 and maybe Uncanny X-Force.

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
Claremont X-Men
JLI
Justice League Detroit Era

Busiek had some great ideas, great dilemmas, he has masterfully handled problems concerning political correctness that are especially relevant today and surprising too considering garbage he spouts on Twitter today. I like to say that this is a story about heroes and villains who aren't just plain right and who aren't just plain wrong.

But it's fucking boring to read. It's fucking boring, dude needs to cut out on words, pictures are there to tell stories too, he's like Scott Snyder on steroids when it comes to wall of texts.

Has the best Carol material.

That sounds more like you have an ADD problem than the book being boring.

It's like you've only been reading comics for the past 10-15 years.

I did finish both his Avengers and Thunderbolts. And boy let me tell you what a rock off my eyes was seeing Nicieza's writing, although generally it's slightly of lesser quality than Busiek's.

I am Russian, we didn't have that shit published 15 years ago.

>I am Russian
That explains a lot.

Oh wow, nice fucking quip there, you should be writing for Whedon's movies, you seem to be cut from the same cloth.

i vastly prefer wordy comics, there is more depth to them
handled a rotating cast perfectly. brought in a couple characters told their story and had them leave

what do you expect for a "good superhero team" comic?
- JLA by morrison
- Avengers by busiek
- JSA by Johns
- Teen Titans by wolfman/perez
-JLA/JLI by giffen/dematteis
- LEGION/REBELS (classic one and the one before flashpoint)
- Legion of superheroes giffen/levitz
- Suicide Squad by Ostrander
- Omega men by king
- Doom Patrol by Morrison
-Nextwave
- X-men by claremont/byrne
- Fantastic Four by hickman

You have small and big teams, teens teams, space teams, serious and funny, etc. etc. and those are only a small fraction of "good comic teams" you should start reading some and search for your self what you like.
There are a lot of good team comics but you would enjoy only what you like not what some people consider it good.

Busiek's run is so damn good.

What'd he do to the X-Men?

Geoff John's JSA. Probably one of the best, if not the best, superhero team comics where the team really feels like a family that isn't an actual family. Really good stuff.

And for the complete opposite yet still good: Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Fiffe's Copra.

Calm down there Ivan.

He's a Silver Age purist that hates the direction the team went under Claremont, even getting a letter published in one issue telling Marvel he was no longer going to read after they killed Jean Grey.

Based as fuck.

Inspired X-Factor, which while a good book, kicked off a whole morass of office politics that kinda ruined the X-Men.

>Is Busiec Avengers' run worth reading?
You tell me

>not muh
he's also to blame for jean's ressurection

Busiek run is so fucking awesome and without the need to include popular characters like Wolverine or Spider-Man...

Damn! I like that they used to include the negative messages too...

JSA always has been on one of my "I'd like to read this some day" but it never seems to be story timed like other books have. Maybe one day.

They published a letter an user from here sent, in America.

It seemed pretty clear they didn't understand he was mocking them.

uncanny avengers were horrible... freaky friday plot

Really? I want to see that... issue?

at the time, it felt like he was fixing 15 or so years of catastrophically shitty avengers comics. but now it just reads like ticking off boxes in a cartoon script. doesn't have any of the energy or tension of new teen titans or x-men from twenty years or so before, but it's the last gasp of classic style marvel comics before bendis turned everything into a bad writers workshop.

Just buy the omnis, bro. It's seriously one of the greatest superhero team books.

damn straight

Someone did all of Johns stuff sometime this year.
Buy the omni's like the other user said, or wait for the thicker "books," because I think those were solicited to come out later this year/early next year

Yes, it's basically the modern superhero run against which all others are measured.

It's not the best run ever, and likes others said, it actually reads like an early '80s comic. But it's very good and very solid.

It didn't revolutionize the industry or do anything new, but it was very good for what it was.

If you want to read a long run with overall themes and tight dedication from a writer (and editor at the time) who actually understood and cared about the characters, start here.

But if you don't like compressed storytelling, it's not for you.

yeah JSA is money. all the characters are without solos so pretty much anything can happen and does, for years on end. after a while it just turns into 'which legacy property can we resurrect this month', and that's what kills it in the end...victim of its own success.

first 50 or so issues of new warriors with fabs and bagley/robertson is top notch and in the period just prior. it's exactly how you do young heroes and topical stories without getting preachy or putting politics ahead of story. there's amazing twists and real stakes and it's a masterclass on what's wrong with almost every teen hero book since.

What killed it was hack non-fanboy writers.

I also found it text heavy and boring, and all I read is older comics. It has way too much retcon bullshit too.
Fucking Triathlon, lol.

I don't know, maybe. But even when Johns was still on it, the cast was getting absurdly huge, and it started turning into this marquee book that was a brand unto itself, so a lot of the 'anything can happen to these guys' feel went away.

>compressed storytelling
user, the Triune Understanding/ Triathlalon plot takes over 40 issues to resolve.

>after a while it just turns into 'which legacy property can we resurrect this month', and that's what kills it in the end...victim of its own success.
All comic book runs eventually run out of steam the longer they go.

Even then there was still a lot going on in one issue compared to a modern Marvel comic.

I just couldn't give a fuck about any of it, though. So much of it is flashbacks and monochrome retcon.
I vastly prefer Stern's run, and I am legit confused when people gush about Buisick's Avengers.

Stfu this run is overrated. You emotional shitstain.

it mostly looks good next to the rubbish immediately before, and because perez manged to maintain consistent output for years. at the time, a run of good writing and art on the avengers was like a miracle from god.

Busiek was Stern 2, which is exactly why it's good.

Yeah, cause they didn't catch the sarcasm.

Just buy it, you idiot.

>asks a question
>says the answer isn't what he wanted

Eat a dick & don't waste our time you fucking casual.

parsley, ____ rosemary & thyme

>posts several garbage runs
>"i found busiecs avengers too... old"

Please kill yourself.

>being this assblasted

settle down Mikhail

I can read comics from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, hell, those are my favorites, but he does have a point: Busiek Avengers is certainly excessively wordy and sometimes boring.

Ultron Unlimited was fucking amazing though and Perez is at his absolute top game.

Given some talk of Johns in this thread, how was his run on Avengers? I only see it mentioned when people bring up that Hank and Jan sex page

Stern isn't LOADED with momentum killing retcons and flashbacks.

What about Johns Avengers?

Pretty much the entire thing from Robinson to the end of Johns is great, they're like 100+ issues, I'd recommend the whole thing.

Forogt X-Statix, WildCATS, Stormwatch/Authority, Uncanny X-Force and Copra

Jesus Timofey finish your vodka

The art is amazing
Comics are a visual medium after all. Also there a bunch of classic style Avengers stories like the Morgan Le Fey one.

UXF is much better than Hickman FF (say this as a huge fan). Best X book since X Statix in a fucking landslide.

It was okay, nothing really remarkable or standout.

You can kinda tell the guy was always a better fit at DC.

Mediocre and unremarkable, but better than Austen and Bendis.

>"I want a good comic but I don't want a good comic"
What did he mean by this?

He meant that he want to read a good team comic, not a medicore run that is good compared to other avengers stories.

Meh, he set up a conflict with Zodiac that didn't pay off. Jack of Hearts vs Scott Lang was okay, although I prefer contemporary MCU'd Ant Man. There was some nice Coipel art. The Red Zone arc is worth reading. He wasn't on the book very long.

>"He meant that he want to read a good team comic, not a good comic that i claim is mediocre"
What did he mean by this?

Its fine. A literal product of natural diversity caused by continuity and not something that's forced in.

damn, did all writers got their start writing autistic letters to DC/Marvel?