His reign of terror on ASM aside, is Dan Slott actually a good writer?

His reign of terror on ASM aside, is Dan Slott actually a good writer?

Other urls found in this thread:

community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?92750-Thread-Drift-Will-One-More-Day-ever-be-reversed/page16&p=2674226#post2674226
spiderman.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_Costume
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He was at some point. His pre-ASM works are held in fairly high regard, and ASM was actually fairly good right up until Dying Wish. As much as people may shit on it, he was clearly invested in Superior Spider-Man, and it was a different direction to take the series, gaping mischaracterizations besides.

His main issue with ASM right now is editorial is letting him get away with too much shit, and the entire series has basically become his platform to write his glorified Spider-Man fan-fiction.

Yep. He joins the pantheon of "Writers Sup Forums forgot were good because their big superhero title is lacklustre" with Tom King and Charles Soule

don't forgot Mark Waid

By "good writer" do you mean obese man with six nipples and Cheetos crumbs under his balls? Just curious.

Soule was always fucking horrible. Kill yourself, you fucking piece of shit.

I think he was decent until his head got caught up his ass.

His Thing series was enjoyable, minus his Sandman retcon. You can see a difference in his writing in that with Thing he was obviously just telling stories, whereas ASM always feels like characters doing whatever it takes just to get to a shocking moment.

the Thunderbolts issues he wrote are fairly good

I mean The Gauntlet and Mister Negative weren't too bad. He just went full autsimo with power as time went on and started believing he could do no wrong, thus his decent into shitty writing

What? Slott only wrote like 4 issues during the gauntlet, Joe Kelly was the one with good issues for Gauntlet and Grim Hunt

His old work was alright.

But his current stuff is shit. Both his ASM and Silver Silver are just terrible. He’s gone full crazy in his old age (like Waid). Even if he was off ASM, his current writing would still be cringy (full of cringy pop culture references he saw on tumblr/twitter).

Ah, my mistake.

He addressed a very good point that Spidey let his dick choose to Black cat. There is a line that a vigilante needs to draw and vaginas are part of that line. No more bullshit pussy fitting of will they won't they.

Spider-Man’s problems (aka Peter aka the real one) come from beyond Slott. Even if you take him off the book, it wouldn’t change the quality of ASM. That’s because Marvel has an autistic view on Peter Parker. They want him to be 25 yet still act like he’s 13 (basically a manchild) and a swinger with a sexret identity. Hell, even MCU Spidey has had more development than Peter has had in his own comic (which is pathetic). To fix Amazing Spider-Man the higher ups need to change.

Go away, Ock. You literally teamed up with Nazis. Then before that you tried to fry everyone on Earth.

I forget, is Octavious a German name or Italian?

His Swamp Thing was amazing you cockgobbler.

So in other words, the only way ASM as a whole can improve if Quesada fucks of so Peter isn't stuck being a forever manchild and can have some character development?

don't mind them they are probably a X-fan that still manages to be butthurt about the Inhumans push

He Literally turned Peter Parker into a child-killer.

I repeat, he turned Peter Parker into a child-killer.

Imagine being given a chance to write Marvel’s most beloved superhero and your response is “Hey! I wanna make him love killing children! All to push my shitty self-insert!”.

That’s Slott.

I adore his Mighty Avengers.

Red Lanterns too.

Quesada, Axel, Brevoort, and everyone else in charge of the Spidey character.

No he didn't. He didn't start dating Felicia until after she swore off crime and went to significant lengths to prove her sincerity to him

But Mark Waid is terrible now, have you read Archie?

Those were all fucking horrible.

>HURRR DURR MUH X-MEN
Shut the fuck up, you ignorant nigger.

Not just Quesada, a lot of the higher-ups at Marvel, including Axel Alonso, would need to go too. Remember that Marvel had been angling to get rid of the Spider-marriage unsuccessfully for literal decades, Quesada was the only one to nut up and stick to it.

Or his Champions. Even his Avengers is pretty dull.

never forget.

But that was the point that Mark Waid joins the group of writers who used to be amazing but are now washed up.

Or hell, the fact that they killed off Gwen Stacy because they were worried that if they continued their romance, he'd have to get married and have kids. This has been an issue endemic with Spider-Man for over forty years.

100%
The Thing series was basically perfect, plus Ren & Stimpy and all his DC Adventures books are great

also his Arkham Asylum is better than Morrison's

Mark "REEEEEEEEEE Cable is a popular character with kids" Waid has always sucked

I know of a Roman named Gaius Octavius, so probably Italian

I legitimately love some of his issues of Mighty Avengers. I couldn't believe he wrote them.

I actually really liked Kingdom Come though, I was surprised he wrote it considering his recent shit is absolutely crap

I liked his older works Avengers Initiative is super underrated.

King still has fans. It's just a few autists on Bat threads.

I like his non Spider-Man stuff

What sucks because I want to read some good Spider-Man, so I have to stick to RYV and old stuff

Lee has built a career on being nice to people in public. Fat boy isn't going to stop his decades long streak.

Remember that time he tweeted that Peter and MJ were never ever ever getting back together?

Did we ever find out if that tweet was for any particular reason?

His fat autistic ass was drunk probably

Just a tweet?

The guy wrote a borderline fucking dissertation on it on CBR

community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?92750-Thread-Drift-Will-One-More-Day-ever-be-reversed/page16&p=2674226#post2674226

>He Literally turned Peter Parker into a child-killer.

Technically, he didn't kill a child. He just stops fucking MJ.

I've said it before and I'll say it again and I'll keep saying it: if Brand New Day was a job interview, Joe Kelly was the guy who showed the qualifications and got passed on and Slott was the guy who got the job instead because he was friends with the boss.

I think he's talking about the bit during Superior Spider-man where SpOck is operating on a kid and Peter sees the chance to try to take back the body while he's distracted.

Not really. Alot of writers who are mediocre get overhyped on the strength of one off issues, which is why people liked slott in the first place.
Slott sucks. and while theres surely WORSE, he isn't good.
heck, even his ASM issues that are co-written with Gage are WAYYYYY better than his own solo written issues, and that's saying alot.
Soule was always mediocre at best, plenty of people still love Tom King, they just hate his batman.
fuck off

this is a great analysis
this is true, but even under shitty editorial it's possible to produce good work.

That's not what happened, what happened is that Ock had to use a brain scanning apparatus or some such nonsense that could reveal Peter's hidden consciousness to Ock, so he tried to stop him, pretty much wanting to sacrifice an innocent child's life so he could stay hidden.

Thanks for the correction dude. I'm kinda drunk as fuck and I haven't looked at Superior since it first came out.

he may not be good.
but this page is awesome.

quick Slott storytime?

ooops wrong file

Sure i got nothing else better to do

oops wrong file

I genuinely love this issue

Can you really fucking blame them, it's been what? 6 fucking years, and he's been shit for 4 of them, and lets not forget his horrid Doctor Who fanfiction he has masquerading as a Silver Surfer comic.

da end
I think it's a real sweet story

Amazing is a stretch but it was good.

>I am employing a Martian mental cloak. No one will remember we wer-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck me, I love a good 'teen hero in over their head' type story. It being based in a great cartoon only helps things.

The only good moments in Slott's run have been Otto punching Felicia, and that moment right there.

Good Lord.

Lois and Clark can have kids and be happily married. Yet Marvel is still hung up on this?

>HAD masquerading as a Silver Surfer comic.

Fixed that for ya, it's canceled

He had his stride, now its just garbage relying on "what a twist" bullshit he can pull out of his ass. The quality of the comic is suffering because he wont leave.

It suspiciously sounds like he's trying hard to pretend that it isn't happening.

Think of how he tried way too hard to claim that Kingsley was dead or how Peter was dead and Ock would be permanently Spider-Man. Or his objection to piracy but then it turned out he downloads TV shows.

I wished I saved it but I someone on Something Awful's forum said the reason Slott was chosen over Kelly and others is that Slott pitched a bunch of stuff that could be turned into merchandise. And that theory makes sense. Think of how Slott introduced the stealth suit in the first arc of his run:

spiderman.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_Costume

And how it had three different colors, green, red, and blue. That means not only is it another Spider-Man variant that toymakers can use, they can also reuse it (getting more mileage out of the mold).

He's average, but nosedives to shit when trying to write any "epic" storylines.

Good concepts, awful execution and resolutions

His ideas can be amazing and fun when they're written by anybody other than him.

Just look at the Silk ongoing and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Literally other people doing his ideas better than he can.

He occasionally writes a good issue. I personally thnk he is purposefully writing badly as that’s what the marvel editors want him to do and by this point he probably doesn’t remember hw to do a good job anymore.

He's just another Bendis. Decent back in the day, but clearly ran out of ideas and just repeats the same shit over and over. But he can't write jokes to save his life (so giving him a jokester character in the first place is beyond stupid), so instead relies on cheap bait to trigger nerds for easy sales.

How is this the first time I'm seeing this? How in the hell has this panel not been reaction-imaged yet?

I haven't read Superior Spider-Man since it was released, but I recall Peter being worried that Otto wouldn't be able to perform the operation necessary to save the girl (who was only in danger of dying because of Otto's attempt to kill most of the world's population not long before that), only for Otto to convince him that he was simply trying to save himself.

They probably think DC are the ones getting it wrong.

ask him on twitter if you're not already blocked

Or Agent Venom
Or Scarlet Kaine

Birthright was mediocre

The Flash was decades ago

Kingdom Come was Alex Ross' brain baby, Waid was only there for history

Slott only wrote a few issues of the Gauntlet, and they were the worst issues of it. I actually went back and reread the arc as a whole, and it's kind of annoying how bad Slott's part of the Gauntlet is compared to everyone else.

Great concept guy, crap execution.

his shehulk is like reading a fanfiction of a waifufag. she literally can do no wrong with deus ex machina out of the ass in the last pages and is fine passing the blame on hulk or any other character.

That feel when we don’t live in a world where one more day never happens, Mayday becomes a canonical daughter of Peter and MJ, and Joe Kelly writes ASM