Work on Your Art

Rev up those fryers
Post us what your working on or have just finished

Other urls found in this thread:

gumroad.com/juniba#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Little something i made for this halloween.

I'm doing an art challenge a friend of mine came up with

Designing new robots every day of the month of November based on a daily theme

Choose your fighter, co.

Finished this one not too long ago.

Now I'm doing fanart of that Luna/Lincoln "The Secret" comic.

And here's day 1

First of three versions of Suckstobe, my nerdy Succubus OC, taking a bath. The other two versions are "skimpy bikini" and "no bikini".

I'm so-so on this one. I don't know, I think I did the proportions bad; especially her chest. She's supposed to be flatter. Ah, well... gotta practice more, I guess.

I don't have anything recent other than some comic i spent the second half of inktober doing using the prompts. I finished it but realized I didn't like the main character's design too much after the fact

Late Halloween thing I finished yesterday.

Testing with some skin tones

Are you a fan of Sinix?

Might as well post a few of the Inktobers™.

Spooky scary submission for the Dreamkeepers Spooktober contest.

Can I post a few things or is that spamming?

this

and this

Looks bitchin'. Do you have any completed pages?

That's it for now. To be honest I wouldn't mind trying to produce a whole comic that just looks like this - I never seem to have the energy to do full inks and milky-smooth colouring on a regular basis, particularly if it means I'm mostly retracing what I've already drawn or the final results look worse than the sketches.

Something I'm working on for the the drawthread up currently. I might just forego the values and throw out the lineart before the thread dies.

some old ladies

this is really well done, i guess she's telekinetically dissecting a rat?

real sense of energy here, reminds me of lupin iii or yoshinari yoh's work

Without practice, the final results of inking would naturally look worse than the pencils.

It can be boring, but what you need to teach yourself is how to make it interesting. That might mean putting in less details when you pencil.

It looks great so far. I particularly like how you drew the nose.

Essentially. She has the ability to morph flesh. I have a scene where she's rearranging a woman's innards, such as scraping her own teeth against parts of her brain. Thanks.

>It can be boring, but what you need to teach yourself is how to make it interesting. That might mean putting in less details when you pencil.

Would that mean the final inks are also less detailed overall, or would that mean I start adding in new details out of thin air during the inking phase? Ignoring other factors such as blocking in shadows and hatching?

The latter. It's about giving yourself more freedom to create as you ink to maintain your interest.

For example, drawing the shape, anatomy, and expression of the character is the most important thing. Besides that, you're just filling in details (shading, hashing, wrinkles, etc.). Save that kind of work for inking.

So in your case, with the page you posted, you wouldn't fill in those blacks with pencil. You'd just mark X on areas that need to be filled with black. You wouldn't need to draw every brick, just enough details to remind you to do so when you ink.

Pic related. It looks like it was boring to ink, but I had so many details to focus on, that as I progressed, I became more and more exhilarated by its completion.

Have this

Will bump with a lesser sketch.

Bump

Sup Forums really needs to embrace more creative threads

Here are my cowgirls of the wild west

Inked this prostrating fella last week.

Even typed some prose to go alongside it:

"Cherished is the lonesome existence I bear within these hollowed caverns, ever distant yet so attached to those above. They conceived their hope through I – their Seed – and splayed my branches skyward to their collective fates. How curious they’ve forgotten of I – their precious Seed – in wake of their present perils. I pray for them, nevertheless, as their wails descend and reverberate upon these limestone chambers.

A decadence of self-achieved misery!

How I ponder if this was the goal my founders long sought amidst the quiet stillness of the Void and their melded conceptions of escape. Thus I prostrate upon these damp pebbles and splay my branches once more – through which I await their recompense. I worry only a few shall humor my efforts, but blessed are they to return to their Seed. My beloved Donors who haunt these caverns through our grand feast of the Void.

Dregs for dregs!

The bodies through which construct their own: spawned and corralled by our charity. We are humble here – in this Undergrowth – and condone only succession. Our brethren above meander long in the ways of contingency, but I will pray for them. No greater a Bearer of their Misery than I – their precious Seed – whose roots are ever-reaching for their embrace.”

Been taking animation classes online and offline on my off time.
Did this using the onion skin function, 31 frames, playing around with morphing.
Any thoughts before moving on?

Not sure about the lines, but I know for sure that a coloured thing impresses people more than a bunch of lines. Or maybe even B&W colours.

thanks just wanted some feed back before i did colouring of any sorts.

My first t-shirt design.

bet that'll turn some heads.

Made a comic on my feelings about South Park Fractured But Whole.

Come back to the /hyw/ threads mate we miss you.

I drew a pastel goth boy

yeah, i'd totally wear that at my local golds gyms

making some dumb comics with some friends from /i/

Wow there's a lot of talent in this thread.

Nice! You've got a good sense of creating weight and form.
God this is cool.

wip nier painting, I could probably bump the contrast, but I'll wait until the machines are a little more solid first.

MY AUTISM IS MAXIMUM

Some rough sketches of Civil War/1800 America-inspired designs. Plan to do a short comic involving this uniformed young lass named Agatha Jackson Crowley.

>God this is cool.

Thanks mate!

Lovin' 2B's sense of motion in your WIP btw. I agree though, I think the contrast could go up a bit, particularly if you plan to make the figures and environment darker than her. It'd give her quite the visual presence, imo.

She isn't quite comfortable in her expected wear.

She's more at home in her labor attire.

Creepy old lady. Always gotta have at least one.

And finally, a mustachio in a hat and poncho-thing.

Yeah, you're right. Even just putting a quick correction layer over it really helps.

Small tweaks like that certainly show the thematic potential with your scene. 2B shows a nice divine punishment-esque vibe when you contrast her light blues and harsh blacks to the more mild brownness of everything else.

Keep at it, user! You're doing splendidly!

cross-posting

I don't really do character art. Just environments. Here's something I just recently started sketching.

Nice fence.

Thanks, man!

This is very pretty. Very victorian-storybook.

nice

Bump

This was done for the final day of Inktober and for Halloween.

Finished this the other day for Halloween

I've grilled your pieces pretty hard in the past, and I think this is one of your best yet because everything doesn't have a white outline/halo around it. You've gotten much closer with your detail stipples. Makes everything feel like it's on the same plane. I'd also recommend not filling in with straight black, always have some kind of gradient, even if it's very, very, very dark. Straight black just looks flat and jarring on a picture with so much texture.

Do you have a video showing your process? I love watching those kinds of pictures take shape.

I actually made the book available : gumroad.com/juniba#

No, but I've considered doing livestreams.

Thanks, anons

cute!

Do you have any recommendations for pen/ink books?

If one cube is drawn in perspective, and I want to draw a second cube in perspective with the first cube but rotated onto its tip, how do I go about that?

If I could see an example pic that would help a lot.

What do you mean "rotated onto its tip"?

Like the cube on the left.

Well, I don't know if it's the best way, but here's how I'd go about it.
Basically if you're starting with a cube drawn in 2-point perspective, lower the two horizon vanishing points and make a top vanishing point that's not straight up.

Okay, so objects will always share vanishing "lines," but the vanishing point that determines the angle isn't tied to any other object in the 3d space, correct? So if I had a third or fourth cube I could just place their third points anywhere and add two more points on those vanishing lines?

Vanishing points aren't tied to any particular object, but they are tied to lines. So if they're still parallel in the other axes, yeah, you'd keep that horizon.

PS I just realized I made a mistake in
When I move the upper vanishing point to the right, the two vanishing points on the horizon should have followed.

you need your vanish points more spread out or shit starts to get warped. and at a certain point it's better to switch to 3 point perspective instead of 2.

your vanishing points are all too close together

also a random note on 5 point

I think the point of that pic was specifically to show the vanishing points though

Ey thanks user.

Congrats! Your story has a lot of promise, i hope it sells well!

No.
To be honest, I was just feeling really stressed out one day and went to an art supplies shop with my girlfriend and picked up a pack of Micron pens since i did really basic sketches in high school. Next thing I knew, I had made a daily habit out of drawing I don't really have any formal training or instruction, I'm just a guy with a lot of patience and some pens.

I think what's helped me is the fact I draw on 18" x 24" posters with 0.1 - 0.5 pens. It takes a long time, but if you set aside half an hour each day, it's easy to stay motivated since you'll see yourself progressing day by day. Plus it's really easy to appreciate the scale of it once you're finally finished.

My bad, here's the full version.

Been drawing for two weeks now. Here's a gangster.

cute!

GAAAYYYYYY

Mock Mignola art.
Thought it'd be fun testing it until I realize I fucked up midway with the rendering.

who else feels like quitting
I tried the best I could to learn how to do this but I am just not enjoying this at all. I am not good at teaching myself and it feels easier just to quit like I have on everything else in my life. I don't even know why I am drawing.

Ditto, user. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of it being 5 years from now and being no better at art cause I gave up and the idea that sucking at something eventually leads to being lousy to being mediocre to being good to being great.

Face the fact it may not be the hobby you could excel at without some hardened dedication and you feeling lesser compared to others progress.
Art isn't about competing with others.
It's about enjoying it by yourself.

Let it sink in, and take some time. Make sure not to end up in the crab bucket, or else you're just NGMI.

user please don't quit.
Nothing feels good before you get good at it.
Set reasonable goals for yourself.
Don't compare yourself to people who've already spent ten thousand hours practicing when you haven't done five hundred yet.

I don't know you or your situation, and maybe art really isn't for you. But as someone who also quit everything I tried for nearly thirty years I will tell you that I never found myself at peace with it.

Still nice, the chiaroscuro of Mignola is really stark and pleasing.

Especially nailed the head and space above it.

I flipped around Hellboy and other art I found online and noted he's got this two or three layers before applying the chiaroscuro, depending on the surface. Since Count Orlock is a bit black and white-ish, it felt strainious to properly add the black and outlining with where it should be on the shadow side.

Finished this a couple of days ago.

It's bretty good, but I feel like the values are a bit off. I'd make the highlights in the clouds a bit darker and make the ground a bit darker behind the character so it's silhouetted better. Add some slightly stronger highglight to the edges of the mountains, too.

Get a fixed light position, even if the sun is out of frame.

Many thanks, user, for both the compliment and the past grilling. Aside from the usual words of encouragement, I’m always grateful to receive constructive criticism – harsh or otherwise. The sting helps get the creative juices flowin’.

I actually used brush pen for the main contours, and helped me narrow how much I depended on my technical pens for finer lines thereafter, so I'm willing to assume that improved with the objects' alignment.

Stippling is relatively new for me, albeit for practicing it in the past, but I see the potential for better visual clarity. Currently on vacation and only have my brush pen with me, but I’ll try to incorporate some stippling exercises and post the results if the thread’s still up.

I'll keep your suggestion with my black voids in mind, too. I've been steadily noticing the conflict between it and my line work in recency, so I'll try to be more conscious of its application in future work. Probably go for a more textural void than the atypical black one. That’s not to say I’ll stop using it, but its application obviously needs improvement.

I guess the only other thing I'd say is to try and avoid the chicken scratch shading. This one isn't as bad, but I've seen it in some of your other pieces. Make your lines have a purpose, don't just try to fill the space haphazardly.
Also, there's still a bit of a halo, but considering the improvement from your other pieces, I'm not gonna complain about it

Weeks been eating up my time so I haven't done a lot.