Just watched this cartoon series. Honestly, it's really impressive

Just watched this cartoon series. Honestly, it's really impressive.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fsVqZqmR-Qs
youtube.com/watch?v=xWUHkOyhR-M&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=XfG0-iW5o0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=pvmsWSvjzBs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's one of the best cartoons of that generation....seriously!

I prefer the Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World adaptation, it's cheesy and bad animated but surprinsingly enjoyable and funny if you are into it.
some episodes are comfy, like that one with King Koopa making a fast food who turn people into chickens.

One of the most cringe episode of the Super Show was that one about the ten commandements with the jewish toads.
that show was a strange mixing of classic super mario bros with the oriental oniric weirdness of super mario bros 2, with Mario and his pals visiting random places and corny live action segments, even King Koopa was basically some kind of Fusion between Bowser and Wart the Frog.

It remind the good old canon about Mario being a plumber from Brooklyn and Peach called "Princess Toadstool"
it was comfy, everything before the "mickey mouse syndrome" who infected Mario since Super Mario 64.

it's funny this thread came because i just finished Odyssey today and i'm currently interested on Mario cartoons, I watched some for a good laugh, and there are really gems, like the ones where Koopa put his kids into the seven continents, the one about racism or the one about Milli Vanilli.

And it's educational to

>characters wander around aimlessly from "world" to "world"
>wherever they go, Koopa is there to meet them, as a pirate, a cowboy, a space emperor,
>all while cheesy covers versions of 1950s rockabilly songs play in the background
It's only "good" if you take the show's horrendous lack of continuity as an indication that the characters are lost in hell/purgatory.

>Super Mario Bros. 3
Yeah, I like the ones where they make constant reference to Brooklyn being the "real world", cause we don't want kids, you know, suspending their disbelief for one fucking second.

>you know what else you should check regularly, Luigi...

>This is better than Brooklyn!

youtube.com/watch?v=fsVqZqmR-Qs

>Yeah, I like the ones where they make constant reference to Brooklyn being the "real world", cause we don't want kids, you know, suspending their disbelief for one fucking second.
Then what was the Mushroom Kingdom in? The Fake world?

Japs made an animated Mario movie of one hour in 1986, it was already full of references we could see on Odyssay like the mexican outfit.
youtube.com/watch?v=xWUHkOyhR-M&t=
the moment on the flying ship who begins at 41:55 is particulary heartwarming.

Apparently? I never got to see enough of SMB3 as a kid to catch all the references to the "real world", but as an adult Mario fan watching it now that irritates the shit out of me. Otherwise, it's the best of the Mario cartoons.

It's fucking great
youtube.com/watch?v=XfG0-iW5o0Y

youtube.com/watch?v=pvmsWSvjzBs

Watched the live action part of the first episode of the Super Mario Bros Super Show.

It's kind of surreal to hear sounds from a Mario game used in live-action.

Oh come on, it had an entire episode with princess Toadstool on a swimsuit.

The live action segments are, yeah. Everything else is shit.

It's far from perfect (what's the Triforce doing in a Mario cartoon?), but I think this is my favorite animated adaptation of Mario.

I think toadstool was my first cartoon crush

Captain Lou will Do The Mario in our hearts forever.

>That episode of Mario 3 where the Koopalings start a race war

When i was young, I liked the moment on the live action movie where King Koopa became a literal dinosaur.
a shame they not used it for a final fight.

Well, now Mario becomes a literal dinosaur, so it all comes full-circle.

>That episode where Koopa's trash turned Brooklyn citizens into reptilians zombies.

The only impressive thing about SMBSS is how fucking quality it is. The fact there's an Animation and Continuity Errors section on nearly every episode's page speaks volumes about how many problems the show had. The Hooded Robin is a god damn trainwreck with how many times characters speak with the wrong voice, or the wrong character is animated saying another character's lines.

That said, I've watched nearly every of the show twice since high school, and my friends and I love watching this dumb, goofy, error ridden show. I also honestly prefer Mario's voices in the cartoons to the baby voice Nintendo has cursed us with since Charles Martinet became the Mario.

RIP Captain Lou

This was actually an insightful lesson to learn. If people are different from each other in any way, they will fucking fight over it. Guaranteed.

>how fucking quality it is
Honestly, most non disney/WB cartoons from the '60s through the '90s were QUALITY. How young are you?

Why they included Milli Vainilli in these cartoons, I will never know.

Even funnier after the lip synch fiasco, when they removed their music from the reruns.

yes Mario was friendzoned at the end and it feels very "Golden Age" if we could use that comic book expression for the Mario Universe (I think pic related define it) but it contains a lot of stuff we can see on later games, that movie probably influenced the imagination of japanese audience, like the americans cartoons did for western people.

>yes Mario was friendzoned at the end and it feels very "Golden Age" if we could use that comic book expression for the Mario Universe (I think pic related define it)
I'd honestly like to see Mario get back to that. Maybe with a few elements from the US canon tossed in, such as Mario being Luigi's older brother.

It got better when it changed to SMB3 and then SMW honestly.

The comics were comfy as fuck though

For me it always made sense that Mario was an italo-american plumber from Brooklyn, if we look back at his earliest appareance we could call the "platinium age" of Mario. (pic related is another exemple).
seriously, there is literally a game where him and his brother should clean the sewers of New York City from Koopas and other creatures.

Not old enough to have seen the show in its first run I'll admit, but young enough to have watched it in reruns the following years, and to have a VHS copy of the Christmas episode. I'm not saying Hanna-Barbera, Filmation, and so many other companies didn't put out shows with plenty of problems, but the DIC Mario cartoons, especially Super Show, come out so often in discussions about animation errors for a reason.

Agreed. Even Donkey Kong '94 can be seen as confirming this, with the first world, Big City, being New York, and the rest of the game also taking place in realistic locations such as forests and pyramids. And when Mario and DK fall from the tower at the very end and land in 1-1 it could be explained that they fell deep into a chasm into the underground Mushroom World.

But now we have Mario Odyssey putting the final nail into the Brooklyn backstory coffin--I haven't played it yet, but I assume New Donk City is supposed to be the setting of the original arcade game.

SWING YOUR ARMS FROM SIDE TO SIDE HEY EVERYONE LETS DO THE MARIO

In the UK they never aired the live action parts, just the the cartoon.
So seeing Lou Albano in costume during the credits screaming "DO THE MARIO!" was quite baffling to me at the time.
It wasn't until years later that I even found out about the live action stuff.

Yep. Odyssey pretty much ret-cons the original DK as taking place in New Donk City.

Given how they were delivered to the Mushroom Kingdom in Yoshi's Island, I guess Mario and Luigi moved to the Metro Kingdom at some point in their lives.

>but I assume New Donk City is supposed to be the setting of the original arcade game.
well there are references but not really.
In fact it's like Pauline is meeting Mario for the first time

actually i don't know if Yoshi Island episodes are really canon and not just some independant stories like the Paper Mario are, in fact maybe the Yoshi Island episodes are actually connected to the Paper Mario sagas only?

>In fact it's like Pauline is meeting Mario for the first time
You, sir, have just killed my interest in this game.

She recognizes Mario, she just doesn't have time to chat initially. She later apologizes for it and says it's nice to meet up with old friends.

There's also a reference to DK not being a fan of Mario's classic color scheme.

Pauline appears in the Mario vs. DK games, too, so she's presumably well-used to seeing Mario by now. No need to go nuts with a reunion.

Come on, it's a very good game.
in fact i'm not really sure, I just finished the game today, but during the storyline, Pauline is the mayor of the city and don't react particulary the first time she seen Mario, but it's implied she's in love with him after he saves the city, but we can says maybe Mario don't remember or Pauline is pretending to not care about him because butthurt about his insterest for Peach. (in game she said Bowser has very bad taste concerning womens)

Mikey mouse sindrome?

losing any kind of personnality or character devellopment and Miyamoto wanting to keep that status quo for some reason.

>an indication that the characters are lost in hell/purgatory.

wow, amazing theory, i upvote this :^]

God forgive me for saying this, but Miyamoto dying might be the best thing for Mario at this point. Then there'd be no one to to stand in the way whenever Koizumi wants to introduce new lore to the Mario canon, ala Mario Galaxy. The younger staff would still have Tezuka to seek guidance from, for at least a few more years, and he's not going to throw a fit over Mario games having plot or character development.

The Princess in the frog suit in that one episode made me feel funny in my pants.

Or maybe it's just Mario having different dreams every nights? after all a lot of the show is based on Super Mario Bros 2.
after all the most referenced kingdom is not even the Mushroom one but "Pasta Land"

>Came here to expect people laughing at those who took "Mario is from Brooklyn" seriously
>Instead it's people discussion the MARIO CANON
Christ, i thought Dobson and movieblob stayed away from Sup Forums.

an early artwork to present that show, i like the "golden age" touch, it's creepy.

>Ridiculing people for discussing Mario canon
Read >> and replace 'Sonic' with 'Mario'. Then fuck off.

I had a jigsaw puzzle in school with this image.

People like you are the reason we haven't had a Mario game with a decent story since the first Galaxy.

it's really impressive how the animators were able to forget to give Indiana Joe a face
a show has to be pretty special for that kind of oversight to go uncorrected

That's really odd considering it was definitely made to be used as promo art for the show while it was still in development.

Outside of Rosalina's backstory (which literally had to be hidden in the game or Miyamoto would have removed it), Galaxy was still the same old "save Peach from Bowser" plot.

but who is grandpa mario?

you know that kind of virtual place is especially made to talk about subjects like this.
also Mario canon is actually real, it's just that Mario platformers don't care very much about the storylines.

but concerning cartoons everyones know it's not canon concerning the games, the old belief that plumber came from Brooklyn was not ridiculous before the N64 came, especially when you look at games like Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., Wrecking Crew or even Punch-Out! and even the Games & Watches Galleries.

Granted, but Rosalina's backstory had far-flinging consequences. Or it was meant to, at least. It was the first time we'd seen anyone of the royal family besides Peach, the first time a direct reference to someone's death was made outside of the RPG series, and the end of the game has Rosalina literally recreating the galaxy (possibly even universe). And that's just what he was able to get away with while Miyamoto wasn't looking.

some will they you it's Jumpman, to make an analogy with Cranky Kong.

I miss BOTVGH

I know it's supposed to be white/green, but having white/black vs red/blue for Mario would've been an acceptable contrast.

Serious question: why did SMB1'S makers not realize Luigi's white/green color scheme fit Fire Luigi better and make his regular one green/brown like they did years later in the Deluxe port?

I always find it funny how triggered younger fans(basically those who started on N64) get about Brooklyn Mario. I mean, its vestigial by now but its harmless fun. And really the only reason its ignored is because Charles Martinet played against the then-current expectation for what Mario should be like.

Mario continuity is a lot more palatable if you understand it as a Star system thing like Tezuka did it; actors playing different rolls.

And then Galaxy 2 came along and reduced Rosalina to another one of Bowser's captives alongside Peach.

Probably software limitations.

Story is nice, but without gameplay its nothing. Part f the reason Mario lore is so intriguing is how rare it is from official sources. Left unchecked, you just get Sonic.

GRAND DAD!

it remind me the ones who hate Super Mario Bros 2 calling it a shitty plagiarism when they actually never played or cared about doki doki panic and are basically shitting on every influence that episode had on the license.

Reportedly, the American SMB2 is considered by Miyamoto to be the real sequel.

well there is actually the same phenomenon about Sonic, before Sonic Adventure everything happened on Mobius with no humans, now suddenly everything happens on Planet Earth.
it has still mysteries like what the hell are all those colored talking animals? what's the past of Sonic? nothing is never revealed about his origins, I think people are exaggerating concerning the hedgehog, Sonic are pissed because he started to talk on games but it's basically the personnality from the american cartoons they put on him, nothing really new.

>before Sonic Adventure everything happened on Mobius with no humans, now suddenly everything happens on Planet Earth.
"Mobius" was never a thing in Sonic as far as SEGA is concerned, and now they don't even consider the planet to be called Earth. As far as they're concerned, the planet has no name at all.

yes I know, not according to the japanese canon.
but you can't negate the fact that Sonic was made for an american audience, and everyones loved him being both a silent badass and a bantering motherfucking, liking chilli dogs and living on Mobius with other talking animals on islands before the Dreamcast came?

>As far as they're concerned, the planet has no name at all.
it's so sad that two huge licenses of popular vidyas are suffering from "void universes and lore" just because of some unexplained autism from jap devs who don't want to dig more and start to negate every foreigner memes.

But even then, as someone grew up believing there was continuity between the games (for example, the crashed Doom Ship in Super Mario World), it's depressing how few shits Nintendo gives about Mario. There was a time when it really was treated as a proper series and not just an IP to slap onto random game concepts.

But now we have Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Daisy, Baby Peach, Baby Rosalina, and Baby Fuck Whoever Else competing in races against their adult counterparts, and it's all just... silly. And not in a good way, but a "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" way, because they know that matter what they do, no matter how they little they care to give the Mario univere even the faintest semblance of consistency, people will buy the games because "lol its just mario deepest lore kek".

And I know it will never be the same again. We'll never have another prequel game like Yoshi's Island with its backstory of Kamek forseeing that Mario would cause trouble for Bowser when he grows up (what we did get were goofy Yoshi's Island sequels starring all the other babies). We'll never have another DK '94, which brought the classic arcade games into the canon, or another game like Super Mario Land 2, which introduced us to a childhood rival of Mario's. Mario is Mickey Mouse when I want it to be Adventure Time (season 1 and 2, not the edgy stuff from later on).

Would there be more or less furries in the world if Sega went with that design?

Far less, because that design would never, EVER be mainstream popular if it got the game.

Something who triggers me a lot is never putting Waluigi on a Wario game.
DAMN NINTENDO WE KNOW HIM NOW!
and triggering fact is they don't even considers him Wario's brother but actually Wario's friend.
this is just stupid.

another stupid thing is pretending the Donkey Kong from the arcade was not Cranky but the young one from the Country episodes, even if in-game Cranky tell you it was actually himself.

You know.... this is a good point. Mario's thrived on not being tied down by story like Sonic's been, but it's going the opposite route, isn't it? It had that barest of continuity and setting, and it was all it needed... it's not a coincidence so much of the more beloved games don't fuck with that. Even up to a point all the spinoff games can conceivably happen IN the Mario world, whether or not if they actually DID (so to speak).

But the core games straying off too far, yeah. It DOES feel kind of wrong.

Feels surreal that Mario and Sonic Olympics made this canon to the actual games

user is a liar, she does recognize you, it's just her "I don't have time to talk I need to help my city" line that makes dumbasses think she didn't recognize Mario, despite her mentioning him by name the very next time she talks to him, she even calls him an old friend later if I remember correctly

Bruh, are you me? Both of these things have been triggering me for years, especially the bit about Cranky.

FLEENSTONES

>Even up to a point all the spinoff games can conceivably happen IN the Mario world, whether or not if they actually DID (so to speak).
I used to try to make them fit. Not into any sort of timeline, like Zelda, but just fit anywhere in continuity with the other Mario games. I gave up once they started cramming babies into all the sports/racing games, and after Miyamoto emphatically declared that SMG2 would have less story than SMG.

Actually, the Lumas sacrificed themselves to stop the black hole

Rosalina didn't do a thing

another triggering thing is making Paper Mario a separate series, but at least he could sound "poetic" to imagine these episodes are some stories written on a book or legends about the plumbers.
the new Yoshi Island episodes make the first one completely non-sensical, to the point of rejecting it from the canon.

And it's like before Odyssey came, they completely forgot the Mario Land episodes existed on Game Boy.
yes the thing they did to Rareware removing every kind of canon they put on the Donkey Kong license is completely stupid, especially when you have a fucking character who tell you that IN-GAME! not even in the manual.

This. Rosalina is really nothing more than a babysitter looking out for the Lumas.

Live action Super Show>>> Bros 3> World> Super Show cartoon
Dic is also infamous for editing, coloring, and voice matching fuckups.

I fucking love her hair
cartoon Toadstool is like the odd but perfect combination of young babe and hot mom.

Rare put a lot of thought into their DKU, but its been 16 years now and since they've been sold off Nintendo is never going to use their more in-depth ideas ever again. Cranky will never be considered the Arcade Donkey Kong by nintendo proper because, even if you handwave the difference between cranky and Mario as "ape-aging", it makes Mario older than they want him, and worse off, it makes Mario a being subject to age and the passage of time beyond "baby" and "adult". Nintendo thinks nothing of Cranky; its not their iconic Donkey Kong, making the iconic star of their first major video game success some side character in a spin-off game is something they don't want.

Its not just their cartoony properties either, its happened in Metroid, too. Samus for the last 12 years has primarily been depicted as her younger, Metroid Zero Mission self. Even in Other M, she's shown as her Zero Mission design.

>That episode where Koopa knocked off the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
>The episode where Ludwig gives Mario a brain drain helmate and floods the country for a month straight
>The episode where Koopa hires Mario and Luigi's hero to beat them up
>The episode where Bowser breaks a convict out of prison to raise his kids
>The episode where Koopa makes a robot clone of the pricess while she goes on a vacation to Hawaii and hooks up with a surfer named Cutter
>The episode where the koopalings turn Luigi and the king into dogs before hijacking a NASA space shuttle
This show was fucking gold

Another sad thing is saying Cranky was not the original DK, you are also saying modern DK was not DK junior who saved Cranky from Mario, making him more heroic and explaining why he's a hero on his island saving it from kremlins instead of being a mad ape.

I was seeing this as Jumpman is in fact not Mario and another person altogether

Don't forget the episode when Cranky creates his youth potion

And again, nintendo doesn't care about that, Rare DK to them is just a goofball. One of the easiest ways to trigger a Rare DK fan is to post a pic of him with a toothy Grin. Rare avoided giving him that actual, typical silly monkey expressions where Nintendo hams it up.

I'm pretty sure she did some reality-altering magic at the end. There's a reason the last thing you hear is Mario screaming "Welcome, new galaxy!".

Man, don't even get me started with the Paper Mario games. I'm still angry that we haven't had a proper RPG (or at least one with a decent story and characters) since Super Paper Mario. Again, the blame for that series' decline falls solely at Miyamoto's feet.

>And it's like before Odyssey came, they completely forgot the Mario Land episodes existed on Game Boy.
Oh? How does Odyssey reference SML?

>And it's like before Odyssey came, they completely forgot the Mario Land episodes existed on Game Boy.
>yes the thing they did to Rareware removing every kind of canon they put on the Donkey Kong license is completely stupid, especially when you have a fucking character who tell you that IN-GAME! not even in the manual.
Another thing they butchered in the DKC series is Cranky's personality. He went from being an aging gaming icon who'd spout snarky one-liners about the "good ol' days" of 8-bit hardware, to just a stereotypically cranky old man. I miss pic related. :(

>Donkey Kong from the arcade was not Cranky
wait they retconned that?

other than how do explain cranky aged but mario & pauline didn't i felt it was a cute easter egg

Because Lost Levels is just an expansion pack of SMB1.

Hey Sup Forums are we there yet?Are we at Wild Waldo's One-of-a-Kind Amusement Park?

How many times are you going to ask that, Missy?

It's not like Mario Land was never referenced since then. The carrot is in the Japanese version of the Mario Kart arcade games (and technically the US version, but you'll never see it). Anyone you throw it at gets the bunny ears and starts hopping around uncontrollably.

Mario Kart 8 even referenced Land.

>Feels surreal that Mario and Sonic Olympics made this canon to the actual games

And Odyssey took it a step further and just had Peach go full bikini.