B:TAS

Batman: The Animated Series
Let's talk about this.

It had a lot of weak episodes people like to forget.

Love it. It gave me Harley so I'm grateful for that
Ive got batman in my basement is one that comes to mind

You people never shut up about that.

Its a fair criticism. I'm not calling the show bad by any means, but it did have its fair share of weaker episodes. Also its Catwoman sucked

Agreed. The show had its ups and downs. Horrible episodes that come to mind: Batman in my Basement, Be a Clown, Prophecy of Doom, Night of the Ninja, etc.

More than Catwoman though, I think Penguin, Scarecrow, and Riddler were pretty under-developed throughout the whole series.

I think it's honestly the pushback from the years and years of people only ever saying "it's great, it's fantastic, best Batman ever, best animated work ever", and people who don't have any attachment to the show check it out and overreact when they realize it's not perfect.

The Batman experienced a similar effect - for years, again, because BTAS fans were the majority on the Old Internet, the consensus was "BTAS was GOAT and The Batman is a mediocre toy commercial with weird character designs."

But right between the time when kids who grew up with The Batman came of age, and it went up on Netflix so a whole new generation saw it for the first time, there was this pushback where suddenly every day on Sup Forums there was a new thread going "The Batman is actually pretty good!", which of course, even if it didn't start off like this, would inevitably turn into "Yeah, FUCK BTAS, they only made shitty episodes like I've Got Batman In My Basement, they don't have the subtlety or nuance of Team Penguin!"

The narrative always favors one extreme or another, because people are idiots who think in binary. BTAS is either the greatest masterpiece made by man, or it's actually Secretly Trash, it can't possibly be both a great show AND flawed.

It had a massive impact on Batman mythos and animation in general, but it's kind of obnoxious how people pretend everything Batman begins and ends with B:TAS.

I had a reverse of that, where I defended The Batman a lot on my teens, even when I spent my childhood with B:TAS, only to come back to it a decade later and realize it wasn't that great.

Now you're just full of shit.

I feel like B:TAS has a subtly different atmosphere versus the later DCAU and I kind of miss it. A somberness to it.

To this day has some of the best Croc stories. And it didn't do the "He just looks like a monster and that's why everyone treats him like shit he's actually a good boy" thing like some comics like to do. He was actually kind of an asshole. But he still had some compelling shit like his intro episode and the episode where he escapes prison transport and meets the circus freaks.

TNBSA felt very different tonally. It was sleeker but lost a lot of the humanity.

the under dwellers was fucking trash

>Team Penguin
Agreed with most of your post, but strawman episode is strawman.
Traitor.

I fucking love the BTAS Riddler. Timm turned him into utter trash. Penguin also gradually got development in the later seasons.

Too bad the only thing anyone remembers B:TAS Croc by is "Hit him with a rock", when it wasn't even him.

Yeah that gets annoying sometimes.

It Sucks To Be Tim Drake.

It's the "go-to" answer whenever anyone on Sup Forums gives TAS the faintest praise. Literally the first post on this thread was about it.
Everyone knows TAS had weak episodes and the creators even talked about them extensively. But the insistence that they comprise the majority of the show, or that the show was actually bad because of them, is bullshit.

>there was this pushback where suddenly every day on Sup Forums there was a new thread
While I agree with most of this post, I think it's an exaggeration to immediately relate it to The Batman. I think it's mostly a counterreact to TAS's popularity and the desire to promote decidedly less popular Batman cartoons (or any media in general that didn't get the reception TAS got)
I remember being it mostly one really persistant faggot showing up on every Batman cartoon thread to promote the show and shit on TAS, and was recognizable.
I don't think there's that many people who still care about The Batman.

>would inevitably turn into "Yeah, FUCK BTAS, they only made shitty episodes like I've Got Batman In My Basement, they don't have the subtlety or nuance of Team Penguin!"
This in particular annoys me because Penguin's depiction is one of the go-to arguments for shitting on TAS based solely on Batman In My Basement, even though TAS Penguin was one of the better depictions of the character and The Batman overused and simplified the character to the point of being annoying.

Scarecrow's problem in the show was that they never really knew what they wanted him to look like and the character became mostly an excuse to take Batman on mindfuck journeys, which were cool in their own right but ended up only perpetuating the idea that Scarecrow is a worthless non-character without the toxin. The Adventures comics treated him far better.
Riddler was fucking great in TAS. It was TNBA which treated him like shit

Good series that lead to the JL and JLU series.