So I never read capeshit these days...

So I never read capeshit these days, but I heard about Superior Spider-Man the other day and thought it sounded interesting, so I've been reading it. Peter Parker forcibly swapped with a dying Doc Ock? Finally, a premise with some bite.

But there's these little mail pages interspersed in between each issue which are ubiquitous complaints about it. I hate to use the word, but what exactly about it made Spidey fans so intensely butthurt? They seem terrified that the world was just going to magically forget Peter Parker and believe that criminals were cool. I haven't finished yet, but obviously it's not going to end well for Otto.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Su-HZH3U1Bo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

SpOck was fine, people are just upset that THIS was one of the rare, tolerable Spider-Man stories in the past 10 years

>obviously it's not going to end well for Otto.
Well, I liked the end. Sure Otto got a sad end, but it got us one of the better Spidey pages.
SpOck was at least something different after Slott wrote ASM for god knows how long now.

Peterfags were completely and utterly insufferable throughout the entirety of Superior because they were delusional enough to think that it was a permanent change and the only thing that would bring Peter back was non-stop, relentless sperging out.

Main issues that people had

>Now Peter's supporting cast are all idiots and can't tell that something's clearly wrong with him and Spider-Man, in a universe where mind control, clones, possession, etc are far from uncommon
>Universe basically has to bend over backwards to make the public accept SpOck's harsher, more lethal methods. JJJ starts praising SpOck because he's dealing more harshly with criminals which is a major OOC moment.
>Peter now willing to let children die to keep his secret identity, solely to make SpOck look better.
>Without spoiling, not a lot of people liked the status quo that was set by the finale for ASM.

I personally didn't mind it, because it was a short period where I didn't have to tolerate Slott's moping, whining, self-loathing Peter, and it was the best Spider-Man run in the past decade, but it still wasn't that good.

Spock started out good, when he was a more competent ruthless Spider-man
But then he started acting stupid for no reason and had to "give up"

At least he's back, in a new body. Shame he's a villain though

>I heard about Superior Spider-Man the other day and thought it sounded interesting

Maybe, but it was done by a bad writer, so it's bad. Don't read it. Read Team-Up instead.

>>Peter now willing to let children die to keep his secret identity
Didn't he already do this with OMD, albeit indirectly?

Probably the fact that their hero was murdered and his body was being possessed by his arch nemesis for about a year or two. I'm honestly surprised there wasn't even more of an outcry.

>Universe basically has to bend over backwards to make the public accept SpOck's harsher, more lethal methods.
Except they stop that pretty damn fast when they feel like they're being spied on

>JJJ starts praising SpOck because he's dealing more harshly with criminals which is a major OOC moment.
Did you read any of the prior stories where JJJ was mayor? That's not OOC at all
>Peter now willing to let children die to keep his secret identity, solely to make SpOck look better.
That was shitty writing, I'll give you that one

Turns him into a villain making Superior runs completely pointless

It was terribly written. Characters were entirely out of character, also there was a LOT of filler to stretch the story out however many issues it got.

Worst of all, Spock was just fucking boring. "Activate plan epsilon seven *tek*" and then saving the day EVERY TIME was just retarded. And then that shit carried into Slott's ASM and then THAT carried into the fucking movie. Fucking terrible.

>capeshit
Not even ten words in and you're already a faggot.
>muh premise
Who cares if the execution is garbage, right? Who cares if the writing is Scott Buck's Dexter-tier.
It's not just being out of character. It's the fact that the characters are gargantuan dumbasses, ESPECIALLY the protagonist throughout the entire run. Add to this Slott's usual sins of shit dialogue, obnoxious attempts at humor, every character not even feeling like a character, etc.
Fuck off, Spockfag. Your shitty run was one of the worst.

>JJJ starts praising SpOck because he's dealing more harshly with criminals
What the fuck? The JJJ I know would be all over this shit. Finally the webhead is proving him right after all these years and everyone who's not deaf, dumb, and blind is going to fucking hear about it.

>Now Peter's supporting cast are all idiots and can't tell that something's clearly wrong with him and Spider-Man, in a universe where mind control, clones, possession, etc are far from uncommon

This is such a stupid complaint. There is over 50 years of "Oh peter left to get spider-man and spider-man said peter is safe down the street so that's why he's not here" with no one complaining about stretched logic once.

But he acts angrier, which is normal for him, and peter is more assertive and that's supposed to raise red flags?

youtube.com/watch?v=Su-HZH3U1Bo
If you don't read Superior Spiderman with this voice i don't know what to tell you.

Spidey fans were initially really mad because it reminded people of One More Day, which is a story that's pretty much universally hated. But once the actual comic started, most people loved it.

I still think it's a great story arc, even if it does have some pacing problems.

Yes, you complete fucking retard. When Aunt May can clearly tell that Chameleon is not Peter (and he was much better at pretending) it's a valid complaint. When fucking Avengers some of which were impersonated before don't do a thorough research when they suspect something (HURR UR NOT A SKRULL, SO LET'S NOT TEST FURTHER) it's a valid complaint.
>b-buh ihs okay cuz it was written badly
Moron.
>But he acts angrier
You mean, acts like a different fucking person entirely because despite having all of the access to Peter's memories the dumbass Ock doesn't bother to even remotely resemble Peter because that would be too subtle and actually intelligent for Slott.
>most people loved it
*a bunch of idiots with shit taste loved it
FTFY
>I still think it's a great story arc
That's because you have terrible taste.

>most people loved it.

where did this meme even come from

every single superior storytime was full of people getting angry at it

I liked the idea. It was gutsy as hell. Execution could have used more work, but that's Slott for you. Overall, it was an okay ride, but Slott's Osborn is shit. Wish Slott would have ended his run after Superior.

Wish he quit after Spider-Island. That was the time he ran out of steam as a writer and if he did he'd be remembered far more fondly.

I used 90s Ock, I thought his voice was pretty fitting for a guy named Octavious

This arc was fucking shit, and it was only good (or at least more tolerable) when it literally ended, when Peter got his body back and Spider-Manned his way to defeating the goblin

Is this a joke? Everything about the concept was horrifying. Ock MURDERED Peter and WORE HIS SKIN.

And everyone was okay with that. That's an unspeakable violation. If I was Peter, my takeaway would be "That's too fucking far. Even Osborn didn't take things this far. Ock is now on my kill-on-sight list."

You know what happened when Red Skull did this to Cap? It was Secret Empire, which fucking sucked.

>And everyone was okay with that. That's an unspeakable violation. If I was Peter, my takeaway would be "That's too fucking far. Even Osborn didn't take things this far. Ock is now on my kill-on-sight list."

Well, He is dead. So, He can't kill him now.

It was only good at the start, or if you ONLY care about Otto. Everyone else is foresaken with this story in place for Slott's own OCs.

It's incredibly overrated by newfags who enjoy edgier, mad scientist Spidey. It's ok at best. Definitely Slott's best Spider-man story, but that's not saying much when most of his body of work is manure.

A clone is still running around. I honestly wouldn't blame Spidey if Ock was the one exception to his no-killing rule.

While the concept of Spider Octopus sounds great in principle, the execution, like all of Slott’s Spider-Man work, falls flat.

In order for Otto to remain in the guise of Peter Parker for a storyline that lasted a year, it required every one of Peter’s friends and colleagues to be absolute retards and never put two and two together. Slott begins a new arc for Black Cat, a single punch to the face by Otto that causes her to become full mob boss villain and to hate all spider heroes with murderous intent. She stays this way even after learning that it wasn’t Peter that punched her. She’s still a villain now.

>obviously it's not going to end well for Otto.
Oh it ends pretty well for Otto. Otto “dies” for a time, but returns just in time for Slott’s Clone Conspiracy story, where Otto, now an artificial intelligence trapped in a machine, manages to appropriate a cloned body of Peter for himself. He appears again in Secret Empire, once again in the form of Peter, working for Hydra. And he succeeds in sabotaging Peter’s multi-billion dollar corporation. Slott loves Otto, in case you weren’t aware.

The worst part is, Ock doesn't even get his comeuppance. The issue should've ended with Peter going like "You know, Otto, I never got a chance to thank you for stealing my body and ruining my life. Now I'm going to fuck you up." and beating Otto into a bloody smear while mocking him. He should have ripped those tentacles off Otto's clone body and beat him with them.

Taking that much risk with Spider-man?
Never.

Spider-man is such a rich and interesting character with so much potential. But Marvel is Batmanning the hell out of him. No fucking change. All status quo. Everything basic as fuck

The problem is that all the changes wirh him are deeply humiliating. Even Batman has a fairly decent life.

Because Marvel is a rudderless ship that course corrects on reaction
It meanders all over the place before swooping back to the status quo.
DC is pretty locked on course.

Like all of Slott's creative output, it's an interesting idea that was executed and implemented well by everybody other than Dan Slott.

The problem is that the higher-ups at Marvel think that the key to Spider-Man's success is his youth, which is probably the most hilariously wrong assumption I've heard since "The Inhumans can totally work as the new X-Men".

These are the guys who, in a four issue miniseries, undid nearly 30 years worth of character development solely so that they could make Peter Parker an immature loser swinger again because "Muh aging".

The higher-ups at Marvel are totally retarded, I agree
But the Inhumans COULD have been the new X-men. I mean, fuck, the premise is mostly the same
>Yo, you got a secret potential for super-powers inside you, let's figure it out, and also everyone hates you
That's the X-men in a nutshell.

Marvel just jerked the Inhumans off too much without making them be likeable at all

Sup Forums is hardly a barometer for taste, unless something is universally despised like America.

The worst part is that making Peter single could have totally worked if they had only embraced Peter being a guy who naturally attracts stupidly hot women that fight over him instead of going for the loser route. Fuck, high school Peter dealt with Betty's shit better than current Peter deals with any of his relationships.

The Inhuman Royals are a race of elitist eugenicists who's society functions based upon a brutal caste system and whose isolation is mostly self-imposed.

They would not work as a replacement for the X-Men, on a fundamental thematic level, without some heavy revisions and retcons to their pre-established history and lore. Granted, if this was done then it *may* of worked, but we'll never know since Marvel totally botched the execution.

The big issue most people had with the run wasn't SpOck but rather how Slott handled it. Basically he pushed it as a permanent change and insulted Peter in interviews which made people salty. A lot of the fan mail is from people who barely read comics and actually believed that this was a permanent change. Think 2013 Hydra Cap. Anyway I loved the run overall, it had some genuine issues like the pacing and idiot plot but some people here are being a bit more nitpicky than usual with it due to the current Marvel hate boner which Slott is a central part of

>Who cares if the writing is Scott Buck's Dexter-tier
t. Someone who has either not read Superior or not watched Scott Bucks Dexter. If it's the latter I envy you user

Were those recent ones? I remember ones I followed a couple years ago to be mostly positive. Either way

I did both, faggot. They're equally abysmal and you have to be delusional to believe otherwise.

Ehhhh it was fucked up af and I definitely would put Otto on a kill on sight list if it happened to me but Peter saw Otto's sacrifice at the end and Anna told him about some of the good Otto did. Peter is moral enough to calm down enough to the point he wouldn't want to kill him after that. And Norman has done worse to him than Otto

I have a hard time believing that, there are very few things in this world worse than Dexter Season 8. On the off chance you're not lying I feel bad for you man, being so contrarian that you see things you don't like on that level must make life not even worth living.

Of course the opinion of a shitty namefag is more valuable

>CAWTWAWIAN
So, you're an idiot as expected of a Spockfag.
Not surprising since being an idiot is the only way to enjoy that lump of terribly-written garbage.

I hate Slott and Superior but you have next level retardation if you unironically think anything Slott made is even close to Dexter Season 8 levels of bad

America Chavez is the only comic from the past few years that even comes close to Scott Buck's Dexter in terms of shit. If you actually read/watched either you'd probably know that

>muh Marvel hate boner
Still pushing this meme I see.
Yeah, moronic plots, awful dialogue, shitty characterizations, anticlimactic endings to every single storyline, shit pacing, epic TWEESTS that lead to fucking nothing and go nowhere or get resolved in the most asspull-like way possible.
Despite the fact that both have those issues in spades they're nothing alike. Bravo, genius.
America is far worse than either of those. Don't even try to downplay how awful Superior was, faggot.

Why did they make an arc about MUTANTS GETTING KILL OFF! That is a terrible idea!

>Who cares if the writing is Scott Buck's Dexter-tier
...did you even watch the last couple Seasons of Dexter?

after going through a few vocal minority fan backlashes, you learn to tune them out and consume the media on your own terms. the only problem is some creators are stupid enough to listen to them, or even worse, directly provoke them, like robert kirkman

Can we stop talking about Dexter? I'm getting flashbacks

The less you know and care about Spider-Man the more fun you'll have with this series. That was the appeal and it brought in a lot of people thanks to the controversy it was causing.

The highlights are all the other writers taking shots of Spock because it seems nobody really liked the character.

>ock refuses to be manipulated by black cat's machinations, knocks out her teeth without a single word
>falls in love with a midget after failing to seduce mary jane

more romantic plot armor

>capeshit
>uses spockfag