During World War II, soldiers received care packages containing comics...

>During World War II, soldiers received care packages containing comics. The soldiers stationed in Papua New Guinea shared these comics, and the Phantom became extremely popular among the tribes. The Papuan people who could read English would read the stories and share the images with others (by the 1970s they were available in Pidgin, Tok Pisin). The character's image is often painted on ceremonial shields or alongside other tribal art. This is sometimes referred to as "tribal pop art."

Huh...Neat.

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/why-does-this-comic-book-hero-appear-on-so-many-new-gui-1621448221
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does this count as cultural appropriation?

I wish Phantom got more love.

Why the Phantom of all characters?

No. It was organically added to their culture.

Reminds me to a Brazilian indian tribe protesting against the government by painting themselves blue, basically cosplaying na'vis. Cultures are living beings, they're always changing

So just like literally everything?

do you not know the phantom's gimmick? The Ghost Who Walks? The guy who's basically batman but living in the jungle and protecting local tribes and shit, who venerate him as an actual immortal ghost because he passes on the mantle from father to son?

Same. You could make an amazing film based on the property.

He does, just not in america.

Does this have translations?

The article I read said that the tribes identified strongly with the Phantom as a cunning, adventurous jungle man, friend to animals and just all-around badass.

This is really fucking cool guys:

io9.gizmodo.com/why-does-this-comic-book-hero-appear-on-so-many-new-gui-1621448221

>just all-around badass

>tfw jungle dwellers in Papua New Guinea have more taste than most of civilized society

There should be an australian edition. I just never looked into it.

Jungle people have not being exposed to shit media, be it western or eastern so their tasteios genuine. They are the only ones who can truly and objectively discern shit from masterpiece

Depends on the culture. I'm sure plenty of natives would be amazed at Andy Warhol.

I actually love this, like a folk hero version of US Marines and Punisher skulls. Its amazing that in New Guinea they can grow up knowing about the Phantom but some may have no idea hes an American pulp hero.

Some of the really early Phantom comics can be hilarious, like when he recruited the entire jungle to fight possible japanese invasion during WW2.

I knew some cannibals from my youth, they'd probably get a kick out of this.

Trying to not read too deep into this, they probably liked The Phantom because it has a jungle setting and kids could play to be him

and/or it's their first superhero experience.

like how lion voltron is big in the US while it's pretty much forgotten in japan.

They probably also had Batman and Superman comics too, but clearly, The Phantom was the patrician choice.

1. GIs get comics from Uncle Sam to fend off boredom.
2. GIs trade comics to natives, or just leave them.
3. The Phantom has a familiar setting and natives relate to his adventures. (Supes and Batman are city-slickers.)

>Does this count as cultural appropriation?

YES!
It is one of the many examples of why cultural appropriation is a good thing that should be encouraged

>It was organically added to their culture.
That is literally how cultural appropriation works

The idea of cultural appropriation just reveals how hypocritical SJWs are. They want everyone and everything to be perfectly equal, but how dare you try to participate in something that isn't your culture!

>open thread
>"cultural appropriation"
>close thread
It's too early to argue with retards about sociology and culture.

>opens thread
>closes thread
>still somehow leaves a comment

????

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOBODY SHOW THEM THE SYFY TV MOVIE.

Is that the one with Billy Zane?

His entire gimmick makes him perfect for tribal lore. A man seen to his enemies as a ghost, a mantle passed down generations, and the in tune touch with nature

No, it's literally a mini-series on the Sci-Fi channel. The 90's film was actually kind of okay.

There was a movie made.

It was amazingly camp.

Not the only place that happened either.

How? Storytime plz

That sounds fucking incredible. Like someone should write this as a comic pitch.