Can someone give me a proper account of what exactly went wrong here with this program?

Can someone give me a proper account of what exactly went wrong here with this program?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IaR8KO4VFPM
youtube.com/watch?v=wlzl0gUdb3I
youtube.com/watch?v=uVJhtbh3xmU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It got greenlit

Literally just read through this

Cartoon Network tried a new airing style with Steven Universe, which involves long hiatuses between "bombs" of several new episodes at once.

The creative team claims they rewrote the series around this back in season 2. If they did, I don't get it, because the series continues to use its origional formula of slowly building up to plot progression through frequent looks at beach city itself, a brief look at the space plot, and then steven digesting what happened over an episode; a formula that worked with a weekly or biweekly airing schedule, but feels very anticlimatic when you wait six months for a five episode burst.

There are other problems but a lot of them are subjective; ultimately I feel that the bombs and the staff's lack of adjusting the format to suit them is what's led to most of the problems with the show.

I'd have said that the hideous art style and character design would have knee-capped it out the gate, but it unfortunately gained enough traction for its creators to get cocky on top of all that.

Rebecca Sugar

>bad pacing
>flanderizating characters to irrepairable extents
>"bomb" format of episodes
>TOWNIE SHIT
>making townie characters as unlikable as possible
>teasing plot related reveals only to put it off
>fanbase filled with uwu~ SJW assholes
>Crewinverse just as insufferable

Basically alot, I remember loving it so much around this time last year and admittedly things are a little better to stomach if you binge it, but even then it feels like a chore to drag yourself through episodes with characters that the show WANTS you to like but I realized i don't care about anyone I'm just fascinated with the mystery

It's just exhausting now and I'd like them to just end it now

Bomb format that had long dry spells between episodes paired with unfortunate fostering of a culture on unmoderated site tumblr dot com that was largely very entitled teens who held the show and eachother up to an impossible standard and apparently went insane in between episodes, becoming an overly critical, meta-obsessed mlp/r&m/voltron styled fanbase.
Also some really dumb staff hiring decisions that led to stupid shipwar pandering.

I like the show but those who obsessively hate or love on it tend to be the most irritating motherfuckers on earth.

So from what I'm gathering the biggest issue with the show is it's "bomb" format and lack of story momentum correct? If this is the case, and from what I'm seeing it seems to have been this way for a while, does nobody think about course correcting to do episodes aligning with the bomb format instead of otherwise?

Rebecca Sugar is a horrible manager who let's her team members essentially do what they want.

>does nobody think about course correcting to do episodes aligning with the bomb format instead of otherwise?
That's what the Crewniverse does. All the most recent bombs were made up of episodes that made somewhat of a coherent arc.

Wait, then why are people mad? Is it bad or something?

As a kids show it's pretty good. It's the shit fandom mostly that people seem to fucking hate and thus rag on the series.

People hate the townie episodes, because they rarely involve the main plot and kinda feel like filler. The general consensus is that the show is at the point when plot should be in full swing, and there should be no time wasted on filler.

It doesn't pander to Sup Forumstards. Also Connie

It's that but also because townie shit means nothing

townie characters are not endearing or more than just tolerable sure you could have a fav but those episode are rarely really fun anymore

I know they're trying to get us to care more about the town so when it's in danger we care, but I don't care. In fact I'd care more if the gems alone, WITHOUT STEVEN, would interact with the town people and find something they want to protect also

otherwise they're all worthless

It became focused on filler rather then continuing the actual plot of the show. Now, this doesnt bother me as long ad that filler focused on the gens because there the only good characters, cut the writers have to make it about the townie shit or steven. Its fucking boring at this point and the worst thing a show can be imo is boring

>As a kids show it's pretty good.
I strongly disagree with this. It was pretty good for all of one (and a half) seasons. Then it kept going down

The first season wasn't even all that good notice most of us only started caring when Jailbreak happened

Long hiatuses
Too much filler

I'd be fine with all the filler if SU had a regular release schedule. Waiting half a year for only two episodes of consequence is grating as hell.

To many breaks in between episodes, leaving people to speculate too long and putting blame on the show, itself, when it ends up not being what they built it up to be, despite it staying fairly true to its overall feel of itself.

Why the fuck have we not seen any other cities yet? And no Mr. Greg doesn't count.

Why is Steven Universe afraid to do what We Bare Bears did with world building and let us see more of the world outside beach city?

Keystone motel

I should have been more specific.. I meant like cities in the other countries.

We saw Korea

>despite it staying fairly true to its overall feel of itself.
That's the goddamn problem m8

Only if you don't like it, but that's not it "going wrong".

>true to its overall feel of itself

Not really
the first season was a monster of the week show

Anyone find it kinda strange that the new game Game gave you the best part members as your first 2?

If you played any RPGs, you'd know it's not really strange.

I just figured that the gems would out class connie and Greg right away.
But God damn connies study stacks are fucked. And Greg speaks for himself.

The world building in SU is lowkey, awful.
>Not a single fuck is given by the US of fucking A when UFO's reguler come down and fuck shit up
>the naming of places is awful

Seriously where is the FBI/CIA/KGB in all of this? Its like this universe is all a dream made up by Steven.

Connie's dad is so far one of the only police officers in the fucking show. Jesus no wonder Onion gets away with a lot of shit.

IT seems Sugar lost control of her project and tried to create a show of NO CONFLICT where Steven is suppose to bring out the good in everyone and no one is a villain.
In other words they tried to used the same formula as with W.O.Y.
>And we've all seen the evidence of that..

Ooh and did I forget about how we were drowned in fillers when they wanted us to forget the plot and NEVER move forward?!?

>no one is a villain

way back when the show was just announced as being greenlit, Sugar straight-up said in a twitter post that the show will have no villains

so this is not a recent development

Shit art
Shit management
Shit pacing
Shit characters
Shit story
Shit creator

I have heard somewhere that it has to do with none of the World Wars happening in the setting.

>buying into Matt's lies
Besides, he's no longer working on the show (and good riddance).

No, I'm saying this is the end result, you can't make a story without an overall plot, forward moving story and character development.

>>No.96494964
Oh wait sorry, made a mistake. I meant to reply that to you.

I've heard it has to do with no World Wars happening.

The whole "no one is a villain" thing kind of lost all neaning when the big villains turned out to be genocidal conquerors who run a caste system, enforce eugenics, and forged a superweapon from the tortured souls of their enemies.

Stupid uninteresting backstories

So basically she kneecapped it from the start?

It doesn't go anywhere.

Someone greenlit it. keept SU in please

Wasn't the post less about having no villains, and more about the show having no 'true' villains, whatever that means.

the technical problems

content and fan base

Probably people is going to throw shit at you, gotta be honest and say that's her only good video

He did nothing wrong.

The content and fan base problems:

Technical problems:

Production problems
youtube.com/watch?v=uVJhtbh3xmU

OP here, I've actually seen that first video. Was pretty good ("Nothing is happening in this fucking show" killed me) but I wanted a Sup Forums perspective

This guy actually gets a lot of it.

It's a very low squeeze-to-juice ratio with how much subjective bullshit and waiting around goes into it.

Masochism

That last video was pretty damn good.

>It's like this universe is all a dream made up by Steven.

I know it's a universally reviled cliche, but I think Steven Universe may be the only show that could actually be IMPROVED by having this twist!

Season 1a was a good show with some obvious flaws but undeniably limitless potential. Season 1b smoothed out the rough and polished everything to near perfection. Season 2 was nearly perfect, delivering on all its early promise and more, and seemed to be launching the show into a welcome new mode of outward-spiraling plot.

Instead we got Season 3 which instead put everything right back to more-or-less status quo, deciding to flounder around with a bunch of self-contained episodes, 'fuck subtext' episodes, and a marked increase in zero-main-plot townie filler. And then we got Season 4 which doubled down on everything bad about Season 3 and added horrendous art, outright troll episodes (Gem Harvest), basically was just plain bad.

tl;dr- The meme barn was where the show took its turn into shitville.

The hiatuses. That's really all there is to it.

Steven Universe is subtly a VERY divergent alternate Earth.

Steven Universe USA seems to be a far more anarchic place than our own, eg. lack of well-organized regional/national governance/police, enormous emphasis on local rather than regional/national politics, with local political violence/revolts being known of in living memory (eg. Ocean Town). Their federal government is probably something very weak, that never developed the enormous military-industrial complex and 'Emergency State' (constant and perpetual 'state of emergency exception' to written law) that IRL USA has lived under since the early 1900s.

There's a lot of fourth-wall-nod pop culture references, but that's it.

Budget cuts with the show prevented them into doing retakes leading into abysmal animation making Glen Kennedy look like Bob McKimson.

It just shows that Rough Draft takes 50 or so retakes just to make things passable at best when Mir gets everything right on the first take.

All the male characters in SU are getting some while Sup Forumstards remain bitter virgins.

>Jamie
>Mayor Dewey
>Greg
???

Jamie is literally the only one on your list that hasn't scored.

>Jamie
Barbara
>Mayor Dewey
Has a son, objectively got laid at least once
>Greg
Slams the most ass in the entire show

No. Come back tomorrow when we have this thread again

is jamie the most pathetic, saddest thing ever?

>got denied a threesome
>tried to make it big as an actor, failed, and was reduced to being a mailman
>was born with a big nose

God, I forgot how much I want to absolutely destroy J-10.

>Its like this universe is all a dream made up by Steven.
How would Sup Forums react if that were the case?

It got popular so I hate it.

>Except for the times that prove me wrong, why have they never done this?

I was being retardedly unspecific. I was talking about how they haven't had the cgs go to different countries to fight gems. Like, why haven't they pulled any Teen Titans type of world building yet?

They have so many places to go and we see very little of what the rest of the Earth looks like.

They stopped airing it.

You think those warp pads are all in central America?

Watch S1-S2 , then S3/S4
It was basically a cool show that went reduce to a fucking mediocre SOL.
A lot of power struggle and a shitty core group.
One girl in the team wanted to make her fan fiction canon in the show.

Townie episodes are fine, it's the bomb format that CN loves that is the problem. It forces viewers to wait half a year sometimes to get five episodes with half of them being nice townie cooldown episodes for the events of the last bomb.
Make it a weekly schedule and I guarantee half the problems people have with the show will go from glaring and awful to minor and inconsequential.

>As a kids show it's pretty good.
fuck no
My nephew loved S1-S2 """filler"""" episodes.
He can't stomach the barn garbage

>le popular excuse XDD
jesus just fuck off
I was here since day 1 threads. So much go on that the show is unsalvageable at this point.
If something you are one of the tumblrinas that like this after the Lapis episodes.

>Autism joke
>40 min long
No thanks

>implying any of you would care or have problems with su if tumblr hadnt liked it once upon a time

>defending the barn
go back to tumblr
this is not a joke post

early SU was mostly filler with lots of weeb references and genuine feelings
modern SU is more drama than feels and fell for it's own L O R E meme

Your whole life is a joke post.

OK KO stole it's thunder.

Star also, lorefag wise, and many people just in it for creating original content jumped ship to TLH or Star.

The same reason SU killed AT, fresher shows came along while they dragged their feet.

ebbin
now back to tumblr
>defending the barn episodes
Like defending ORAS in pokemon , absolute autism

Where did I?

That sounds like lazy as fuck writting and hand waving user and I hope you really are not ok with that. How the fuck does Korea exist but not the USA as we know it? Even then some sort of force would form up to you know, protect and investigate all these weird other wordly beings.

Star did the whole magic meets mundane alot better and is actually you know, getting more "lore/plot" focused unlike SU.

AT had no business going so heavy into lore and plot and also did it awful. i.e the ending of that little bomb or w.e with gunther being this big bad was resolved so fucking weakly.

The only people who still like SU are brainlets who can't ignore the glaring flaws and are perfectly complacent in digesting Cartoon Network's controlled-opposition shit.

The ridiculous lengths the show will go to avoid actually progressing the main plot for as long as possible is probably its largest flaw. It's even more apparent with these months-long hiatuses and is even more frustrating when the hiatuses end only to present the viewer with "I can't tell you"s and filler episodes instead of the plot resolutions they've been waiting for since the beginning of the year.

Would you get your dick sucked by a wall?

and despite the simple art style the crew still manage to fuck up simple stuff like perspective and staying on model

I couldn't agree more user, I used to be a fan of the series but the the problems just kept mounting up and becoming more noticeable that I just cant stand watching it anymore

Her dad isn't a police officer, he's a private investigator

Douse anyone ells wanna Be in a meaningful relationshipwith robo?

Lack of direction. They wanted to do a slow reveal of story and lore, which is really good for bringing people in. But once they should've picked up the pace, they deliberately avoided story elements to focus on the weakest parts of the show. And that's not even starting on the degeneration of the art.

if it didn't have teeth

>We Bare Bears
When this thing has better world building, you're doing something wrong. Very fucking wrong.

>Its like this universe is all a dream made up by Steven
He IS a autistic midget with a hobo Dad. Poor Steven. While Lincoln is a utter failure and grows up into a sex fiend, he can still function in civilization. While Dipper is a loser beholden to the whims of his sociopath sister, he can live on his own. Steven can do neither, he's literally retarded like a modern day Caliban, only Prospero is a teenager with self esteem issues.

>1914
>Great War
>Gems dicking around ends in the United States staying out of the conflict.
>War lasts until 19 fucking 25. Soldier revolts break out everywhere, Spanish Flu turns into literally another fucking black death, Herbert West continues his experiments. Gems don't do shit.
>Civilization collapses as the empires descend into anarchy. Trotsky 'wins', killing Stalin and creates his own hermit kingdom. Gems don't do shit.
>The world is a shitty place to live. World population: 2 billion. Christianity didn't survive the fall, ending in the rise of the Esoteric Order of Dagon and the Luciferians. Weak federal government allowed warlords to seize control of America after a nightmarish civil war during the 30s. Slavery reinstated everywhere outside of Beach City.
>Experiments made by Dr. West and Prof. Wilhelm Strauss have resulted in entire armies composed of Frankenstein monsters that the warlords use in nasty bush wars, and suppression campaigns against the cults.
>Gems don't do shit.

>1914
>Great War
>Gems dicking around ends in the United States staying out of the conflict.
>War lasts until 19 fucking 25. Soldier revolts break out everywhere, Spanish Flu turns into literally another fucking black death, Herbert West continues his experiments. Gems don't do shit.
>Civilization collapses as the empires descend into anarchy. Trotsky 'wins', killing Stalin and creates his own hermit kingdom. Gems don't do shit.
>The world is a shitty place to live. World population: 2 billion. Christianity didn't survive the fall, ending in the rise of the Esoteric Order of Dagon and the Luciferians. Weak federal government allowed warlords to seize control of America after a nightmarish civil war during the 30s. Slavery reinstated everywhere outside of Beach City.
>Experiments made by Dr. West and Prof. Wilhelm Strauss have resulted in entire armies composed of Frankenstein monsters that the warlords use in nasty bush wars, and suppression campaigns against the cults.
>Gems don't do shit.

>"Yep. Here's the edge of Beach City."
>"Cool! You know I've never seen the outside world before..."
>"Well, this is where you belong-WAIT STEVEN DON'T-"
>It was too late, Steven stepped foot outside of Beach City. "What?" It was a nightmare! Ruined cars everywhere, wreckage, and a weird blonde man fighting a disgusting monstrosity of flesh and metal with a ruined city dominating the backdrop. There was also a man who looked like a fish arguing with a man wearing a blood splattered black robe.
>"Your sacrifices are disgusting!" Argues Dipper.
>"At least we don't fuck fishes!" Lincoln fires back.
>"WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"
>"I call dibs on the fatfuck."

cringe