I'm reading Atomic Robo, and I really like the art and the stories themselves...

I'm reading Atomic Robo, and I really like the art and the stories themselves, but the flat paneling of the comic is really killing the vibe for me. Things that should feel exciting and high octane end up feeling really boring and flat because of the generic panel frames used in every single page.

Does it get any better? I'm currently halfway through the the third trade, The Shadow out of Time.

flat paneling? the hell? the awesome coloring doesn't pull you in? the dynamic action? you're concerned with the paneling? I don't even see it, I couldn't tell you what any comic I read uses panelingwise. Do you not imagine it in your head like animation as you read?

The problem is the that action doesn't really feel that dynamic when the panels don't help.

Compared to something like Hellboy, where every page is very carefully laid out to give the action maximum momentum, it just feels a bit flat.

Post some pages fags

Alright.

Check out how Atomic Robo features an extremely repetitive layout that doesn't really reflect thet dynamism of the art, and instead just looks like a generic framing for separate pieces of art.

Now compare it to Hellboy, in which each page is laid out and panelled following the action and pacing of the narrative, and leads the eyes.

While Atomic Robo just looks like a generic storyboard, a bunch of cool pictures organized in a very simplistic manner, Hellboy actually makes use of the medium strenghts and lays out its action accordingly.

And this isn't exclusive to Hellboy, all good action comics do this, which is why Atomic Robo looks so weird to me.

If there was more variety with the panel sizes and orientations this would be fine, but this just feels weird.

That's exactly my point. I'm three TPBs in, and every single issue has been like this. There are occasional splash pages here and there, but it's mostly just flat "widescreen" panels like those I posted. Which is really weird, since the author seems to have tons of great influences and his art direction is great.

Well seems like you've made an irrefutable argument here. Congratulations pal

Huh. That is pretty glaring now that you mention it.

i can see how youd describe the paneling of hellboy as "leading the eyes" and the effect is noticeable, but i think its not a very big deal and really more of a matter of personal taste.

Atomic Robo can feature larger, more impressive pieces of art with its larger panels, and i think thats also significant.

Im glad Brian Clevengier got a real comics gig

>Brian Clevengier
holy shit i didnt know about this

Don't be a cunt all yer life, son.

The comic is great, but dude it right about the paneling being severely lacking and that does in fact make a difference.

>This will never happen

If they made atomic robo part of the he’ll it multiverse wtb an official crossover if die happy, but yeah the paneling issues mention are actually pretty legitimate though I do think they’re is some improvement made later on

I just don’t think Scott Wegener is that good at making a good flow with action but it could be partly because of Brian Clevinger scriting focusing process, still it’s damn good comic

I enjoy it as well but yeah I can agree with ya. It gets better but people I know either are fine with it or not so you're not alone.
I've never read Hellboy but I've always dogged the style. Is it worth a read

Damn, those look much better.

How long does it take for it to start getting more like that and less like this?

The first issue of Vol 13 came out on Wednesday. Making the action scientists a bunch of tumblr rejects was pretty much an inevitability in the current comics climate, but the laziness of the art here is fucking inexcusable.

You could make a game out of how many times her stupid fucking haircut flips sides like a nineties fighting game sprite.

Around 10 years but that’s partially because Wegener changed his style a lot over the years which I actually like more than what we started out with

I wish someone could Brian so he’d do some like this I’d love Robo getting transported to hellbot earth and going nuts about the whole magic being real there

fuck me it looks horrible what the fuck happened? i step out the atomic robo loop for a little while and it goes to shit

yes i get what you say,but i have always take atomic robot more as comedy than anything

>#2 No Cheesecake

This is nothing more than Scott and I having the audacity to treat women like human beings. I mean, come on, 99 times out of a 100, there is no reason at all to frame a panel from the perspective of a girl's ass. Grow up already.

Yeah I kinda knew the comic would be heading down That route especially once it went down the webcomic route but the art really does get kinda lazy

Yeah it’s just that they don’t care too put much effort even though they get like 3 days per page it really says a lot when this is the best we got now

Ever since the end of Golden Circle, Robo's almost been relegated to a supporting character in favor of the action scientists. Which would be fine if they were the least bit interesting, but they aren't. And over time Wegener's art has gotten progressively more cutesy and, for lack of a better word, tumblr-ish.

It bums me out since I've been following Robo since FCBD 2008 but at this point it's a shadow of its former self.

>This is nothing more than Scott and I having the audacity to treat women like human beings. I mean, come on, 99 times out of a 100, there is no reason at all to frame a panel from the perspective of a girl's ass. Grow up already.
wow thats insulting to creators who create beautiful well developed female characters, you wonder why no one wants to read this shit

makes me sad, atomic robo was like hellboy, a amazing creative team that were passionate about their creations
if your not into it any more just end the comic and move on

Don't take his word for it, Robo is clearly still a labor of love.

I have to fucking laugh that people are comparing it to Hellboy AND bemoaning that Robo has become less of the focus in the same breath. Hey, remember how Hellboy fucking LEFT THE COMIC years ago, and we have been following the characters he left behind ever since? Atomic Robo is just building up the secondary cast in the modern era, because until you have a secondary cast Robo has to do EVERYTHING of importance, because he is the only character with any screentime.

And, in case you haven't noticed, a recurring theme of the modern era Robo stories is Robo being considered a relic of the past that is dangerously close to being left behind. His rivals have grown more advanced, and more vast, than anything he has and he is frequently being outmaneuvered by problems he cant just solve by punching them of shooting them with a lightning gun. He is a scientist celebrity, but the modern world doesn't move and shake by scientist celebrities anymore, but think-tanks funded by governments and corporations.

>Hey, remember how Hellboy fucking LEFT THE COMIC years ago, and we have been following the characters he left behind ever since?
i get the rest of your post but hellboys side characters were actually interesting and not just tumblr rejects..tho every one on that site are rejects

Yeah, I'm not opposed to it in theory, it's just that all the action scientists are boring as sin except for Bernard and Jenkins.

Hey, remember when Jenkins was by far the most popular supporting character and Clevinger ditched him for literally no reason? Good times.

>not even bothering to change the framing or mirror the pose between panels
>hastily edited robotits on panel 3

I understand time constraints demand shortcuts from time to time, but they should at least try to cover their tracks when they do it.

Yeah I think that’s the plan one actions science team and robo book then another past adventure of Robo like temple of odd

>another past adventure of Robo like temple of odd

I hope you're right. I miss Robo's 20th century exploits so much.