Dilbert thread? Best comic strip.

Other urls found in this thread:

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scott_Adams
twitter
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people#Nazi_Germany
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people#United_States_2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its like The office meets Xkcd!!!!!!!!!!`

I love how Adams actually starts off explaining how the actual science of climate change works, then just veers off into shitty strawmanning in the last 3 panels. Apparently he got divorced and it fucked him up in the head, hence why he's let stupid bullshit seep into his comics.

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scott_Adams

>rationalwiki
literally the libtard version of ED

>strawmanning
Is it really strawmanning if it's true? Isn't just going for low-hanging fruit then?

Please post proof that RW is shit and unreliable
Please post proof that the bullshit in the last three panels isn't bullshit

It's not a strawman, that's literally how economic models all work

All these salty lefties will never get to enjoy wholesome Dilbert funnies.

Then again, the jokes are funnier if you've ever been employed. MAGA!

RW uses Buzzfeed and Cracked articles as sources that should tell you everything you need to know about them
As someone who works in management this really speaks to me

>rationalwiki

Do I really need to provide proof that people just plug data into whatever model that will agree with their ideals and interpretation of things, then just use that? I mean, for fuck's sake, this website is a perfect example. If you were writing something completely anti-SJW and had to choose between Tumblr/Reddit and here, which would you choose?

While technically true, you may misunderstand why they do that. A model that looks wrong can be either an indication of your hypothesis being wrong, but it can also indicate that there is a quantitative depedent variable affecting one of your independents.

For example, if a scientist measured how much the temperature of a city increased depending on its CO2 ouput, his model would be skewed by a few unusually cool years, or the extremeness of the situation may not be represented due to taking an average across an entire year's worth of data points. Confused, he might introduce qualitative variables representing the season in which the data point is taken to get a more accurate model, since the temperature difference at low temperatures is lower than the temperature difference at high temperatures. This would be a more accurate model, but not completely, since he's only measuring 2 things.

It is a careful balance to figure out which variables are significant or now, which is why there are so many models. "not looking right" is a genuine thing that staticians do, since the ideal for any model is a straight line. "not looking quite right" means it will look parabolic, exponential, or not like anything at all.

>dilbert
>scott adams

Are you aware that scott adams had a job making economic models before he started dilbert, and he's familiar with how they are made?

>
>Please post proof that RW is shit and unreliable
>
>Please post proof that the bullshit in the last three panels isn't bullshit
Fuck no. Save that argument for Sup Forums Quick more cartoons to drown out the retards.

He was never altogether there to begin with. He's just like every other STEM autismo.

>rationalwiki

But you're right that he's a bit off sometimes. I read his books, The Dilbert Principle is pretty good, but The Dilbert Future ends on a bizarre tangent about using memes to reshape reality. Actually, he may have been on to something there.

>he's a bit off sometimes
your point might have more merit if you post an example where that's actually the case. Memes shaping reality is pretty clearly true

I don't know if I'd count fast food or walmart greeter positions as real employment Jethro

>no food analogy
One job.

His "memes shape reality" is clearly wrong because he says it works with just one person talking to themselves.

The book goes on about how he knows a bunch of psychics and we just need to trust him about their powers, and how evolution is a lie but he isn't sure how.

PAY ATTENTION TO MY RESEARCHED POST REEE

>keep screwing up one week
>inspection coming up
>everyone gets a ridiculous task to do
>boss doesn't even look my way and let's me keep doing what I'm doing
Its a complicated feeling.

THREE PARAGRAPHS IS TOO MUCH TO READ REEE

Now that I have an actual job at an office, i like Dilbert a lot less because I've never really seen a truly incompetent boss, or even that many incompetent employees. The only people that complained about the management being dumb were the ones that were repeatedly negligent in their work. It makes it feel a lot more mean spirited.

Why do Alt-Hero threads get deleted but not Dilbert? Dilbert is an alt-right comic. It belongs on Sup Forums, not Sup Forums.

I DON'T WANT TO READ WELL RESEARCHED POSTS I WANT TO READ MORE DILBERT!

>Dilbert is an alt-right comic
post one pro alt-right comic

post bants

Has anyone read Win Bigly?

>Falling off page 10
>deleted

>hallucinating a reason to discard their post and keep your opinions unchallenged
literal cognitive dissonance

>Dilbert is an alt-right comic. It belongs on Sup Forums, not Sup Forums
And you belong on Reddit for thinking so.

>hallucinating
You're the one replying to a post that doesn't exist, bub.

Then consider yourself incredibly lucky, because Dilbert is depressingly accurate.

are you in one of those modern startup office jobs or a traditional one full of middle mangement?

Shit. That's good.

It's a traditional one that has a few levels of management, though I only interact with the two levels directly above me.

The worst thing that ever really happened was a dithering supervisor that had a hard time saying what he wanted us to do, like that guy from Office Space. But since employees can review supervisers and managers, he was quickly shunted to a position that required less interaction with people.

I think you should kill yourself.

fucking rekt

>His "memes shape reality" is clearly wrong because he says it works with just one person talking to themselves.

I don't think you understood how that works.

2gud

i came to this thread to read dilbert god damn it, why aren't you people posting it

Got this book as a gift a few years back, enjoyed the old Dilbert stuff. What are some good comics like old school (80s) Dilbert

>99% of climate scientists misinterpret the message of this comic
So what's the actual message? Seems to me like Scott Adams' message is that they're all biased and can't be trusted.

The message is that even if we can work with the assumption that climate change is real and humans are responsible for a significant enough percentage, we don't/can't know when the optimal time to act on it is
Is it better to switch everything over to renewable energy right now, or wait until the technologies are more advanced and cost effective? That discussion seems to be forbidden because most people have bought into the fearmongering and think that reducing carbon emissions as soon as possible is automatically the best option. But thinking like that is what causes scams like the paris agreement, which is just a giant money sink that (even if all the promised targets are met) will only offset climate change by a fraction of a fraction of a percent, ultimately costing countries hundreds of billions of dollars for virtually no result

Another issue is that fear over climate change has been co-opted by groups both out and within government to push agendas and other nonsense. And a lot of the time it has backfired immensely and is causing real issues; like in the UK, where a strategic lack of initiative over 40 years has lead to a power grid that was mostly reliant on fossil fuels... which now are being turned off before retirement date for no real reason other than 'We need to be green'. Meanwhile there was a decade or so of pushing diesel cars for everyone because diesel was apparently more climate friendly, only now it's causing lung disease due to pollution on a rate not seen since the 1960s. And none of this has actually worked to tackle carbon emissions on any meaningful level worldwide while also pushing prices and the cost of business up, hurting ordinary people and damaging industrial output even further.

When governments make stupid policies like these, even if the data is perfect, its still going to cause resentment. And the data is far from perfect.

the show was ahead of its time

Whatever did he *mean* by this?

am I missing something or is that comic not a defense of sexual harassment, but a criticism of the double standards held by some women?

Just seems like "Isn't it funny how we don't give a damn about the consent of animals when putting our hands on them?"

I always thought the joke was that Dilbert was pretending the ladies were talking to and going after HIM instead of the dog, and it was a nice boost to his ego.

>And ignore the ones that look wrong to us.
Bet the author can't actually name those ones.
inb4 some shitty rushed two month study funded by an oil company

Whoa, when did they switch to business casual?

>hurr the gubmint is bad so we shouldn't do anything about climate change
>the Paris agreement is a scam, papa Trump told me so and he knows better than all those climate scientists and economists
>it's just a tool to push agendas anyway

Sup Forums is that way buddy

It is a horrible timeline to find one's self in, when basic satire becomes indistinguishable from reality.

The world is over the Poe's Law Event Horizon.

his message is he knows how the sausage is made because at one point his job was to model these changes, nothing is more disillusioning than knowing how its done.

bump

Most basic concern-trolling. Gulag.

No he doesn't. Dunning-Krueger is incredibly strong in privileged people that has skirted by with little work, and libertarian STEMlords think they know everything by extrapolating their obsession with one field.

>totally not a Sup Forums thread, guys!

tumblr is that way kiddo

epic. can't wait til trump retweets this one!

JUST IN: Federal government report calls humans the primary cause of climate change

twitter DOT
com/thehill/status/926513326959595521

Sorry conservatives, you have to report Trump for thought-crime.

>then just veers off into shitty strawmanning in the last 3 panels
Eeeeeeeexcept he didn't do that. At all.

>thehill
oh lord

Heh, I actually do have few big printed Dilbert comics compilations, I haven't read them in years, but this thread makes me want to take a look in them.

ED is at least accurate the only way they're similar is in that they're both made to help people troll certain individuals

Okay, the last time I saw one of these shitty threads I decided to dump about a year's worth of Dilbert comics in order to kill in the best possible way. I think I started from 1992, but most of that was garbage in a different way to the kind of garbage OP is, so hopefully 1994 is where Adams hit his stride.
A few weeks ago, my department had a meeting clarifying an e-mail that talked about some corporate restructuring... except our manager hadn't sent the e-mail to us, because she wanted clarification on what the e-mail meant.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people#Nazi_Germany
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_of_the_people#United_States_2
Life Is Hell was pretty damn good, although it tended to be a little more "alt comix-y", and there was that webcomic that became a comic strip for a few years that was set in an office and was really good.

People with free will are a little harder to predict than the laws of physics. The right coca cola commercial could completely derail the economy.

Choose lyfe, son.

One of my favs.