Thor Ragnarok

I just want to preface this by saying this movie was fun like how a videogame can be fun for it’s gameplay/visuals despite shitty writing. If you enjoyed the movie I’m happy for you.

But this movie was by no exagerration just another GotG movie, except with some Thor characters now.

No square inch of the film besides a few visuals like Gladiator Hulk were based off the comics, MCU is in full OC mode now. I’m pretty sure Taika Waititi read absolutely no comics to prepare for this, just watched each GotG movie a few times.

And I’d have been okay with that I guess if it had been a great film by it’s own merit, but it’s a straight up comedy that wasn’t funny at all. Except one joke late into the movie.

This is a shame because I typically quite like Waititi’s work but absolutely none of the humor worked. None of the pathos worked either, absolutely no emotional scene was pulled off well not even so much as a gasp from the audience when Thor gets his eye cut out. Odin’s death was farcical, complete shite

Discuss

I'd rather miss out on pathos than have to suffer 3 hours of bathos.

I think GotG2 pulled off it’s character’s arcs with a surprising level of gravitas and that it mostly worked despite the drastic tone shifts. I’d say Ragnarok had a larger bathos problem for sure in the few parts it tried to be emotional

Honestly the MCU is going to get pretty bleak for a while with Infinity War, why not have some fun for a couple movies?

I loved GotG2, i think this was fun but it shouldn’t have been a 100% comedy because it wasn’t funny. The visuals were awesome though, very “‘Flash Gordon’ meets Jack Kirby”

Besides, most MCU movies are light-hearted already. Only the Captain America trilogy could be considered ‘dark’ at all

>MCU is in full OC mode now.

How is this jot a good thing, if i wanted the same exact story but moving I would go watch the animated movies or shows, or just read the comic again

Sure but I meant more like how GotG basically re-wrote every character from the ground up. Like they aren’t even Marvel characters. They’re MCU characters.

I’ve been fine with every other MCU movie except Spider-Man so far, but at least Spider-Man worked on it’s own merit.

This is the state of capecancer now, 90% of these flicks are trash. Only good one this year is Logan, and the good Superhero movies could be counted on 2 hands

>No square inch of the film besides a few visuals like Gladiator Hulk were based off the comics, MCU is in full OC mode now. I’m pretty sure Taika Waititi read absolutely no comics to prepare for this, just watched each GotG movie a few times.

Look at the casual pretending to know jack shit about comics. This movie had the most comic references out of all the MCU films.

Just got back. I loved it. Comic book purists really need to keep it in their pants. Movies are meant to be enjoyable and fun outings, and they need to hold ones attention for the two hour span. A 14 arc comic book series over the span of several months told as a movie would be long, boring and filled with pointless exposition.

Now that thats out of the way, heres my question: The eternal flame is obviously the Soul stone, but it was left behind, so how will it be obtained? And are they replacing Lady death with Hela now? they're both "Godess of death" it'd be silly to have 2.

>Movies are meant to be enjoyable and fun outings
Transformers fan detected.

God no. I hate mecha.

The hulk parade was great.

>no humor
I'm sorry for you that you didn't find this funny, I thought it was the funniest Marvel movie.
>nothing based off the comics
>what is Skurge's stand
It wasn't a perfect adaptation, but that wouldn't have been possible unless it had been set up in other movies, and it still caught the pathos.

Speaking of which, it had the best ensemble of any Marvel movie, between Skurge, Valkyrie, Loki, Heimdall and Banner.

I wish Skurge had more time to develop in the movie. I get what they are trying to do with this version of Skurge but his final moment didn't have much impact.

Everything about your post is garbage. Especially you thinking the Eternal Flame is an Infinity Stone. And thinking Blanchett is signed on for more movies.

>The warriors three are ded
So did their contract just expire or what?

I love how the movie gave enough of a shit to mention Sif but not enough of a shit to throw Jaime Alexander into some reshoots later.

>Literally has the power to revive the dead and grant eternal life
>Not the soul stone

Mhmm.. typical Sup Forums shitposting. Gotta love it.

They already told us the MCU IS colors ages ago dude.

Space - Blue
Reality - Red
Mind - Yellow
Soul - Orange
Time - Green
Power - Purple

Space was the Tesseract cube, Reality was the ether in Dark world, Power was the stone on Xandar in GotG, Time is the Eye in strange, Mind is in vision and The only one remaining, the orange lifegiving stone couldn't possibly be the orange burning flame that ressurects the dead.

Did you fail first grade color theory or what?

Skurge's big scene was really included for comic book fans. I read that particular issue way back when it came out, so that scene impacted me a lot more than my family and friends who love the Marvel movies, but never read any comics.

That's what is great about the Marvel movies... they completely work for your average movie goer, but have a whole extra level for the comic book fans.

I enjoyed the movie immensely, and have ALWAYS felt Mjolnir was a crutch that Thor was leaning on too heavily... there's a reason why in the comics Donald Blake had a bum leg and Mjolnir transformed into a walking stick when he wasn't in god of thunder mode... Odin was trying to make Thor see that he didn't rely on his own inner strength and power enough.

I came home from seeing the movie pretty jazzed and happy... at least I didn't feel like I'd come back from a funeral like I have after seeing some superhero movies that shall remain nameless.

Did they mention Sif? I only heard about Jane. Natalie Portman is never fucking coming back, is she?

Portman had enough sense to no longer debase herself by affiliating with capecancer garbage.

You're from Sup Forums, aren't you?

>Read no comics
>Imported some kind of planet hull
>Bill statue
>Korbinite theme at the end
Don't pull stupid opinions out of your ass.

Hey Op, just saw the movie a couple of hours ago and while I did enjoy the movie, best Thor movie to date, it did it by becoming another movie. It was like you said, a GotG movie and I love the GotG most of all in the MCU, I don't want to watch it for every movie. Every single person is a quip machine,programed with a million quips a minute. Every minute needs a gag, there is a joke for everything and I just don't want to watch this for every single movie.

This, if anything I'm glad that they're not doing shit adaptations of already shitty storylines and making something new.

Do I need to see the rest of the Thor MCU stuff to enjoy Ragnarok?

transformers aren't mecha.

mecha have pilots, etc. Transformers are big sentient robots

I felt asleep during both Bore and Thor the Bore World and don't remember shit from either so you are fine.

>Thor MCU stuff to enjoy Ragnarok?
no. the only "important" bit is that at the end of Thor 2, which is dealt within the first few minutes of the this.

a basic awareness of Loki as a semi-antagonist trickster is enough to avoid even that much

Same dif /m/, Don't give a shit.

I say yes. For all the shit they did wrong (or Sup Forums convinced itself they did wrong in some ways) Thor and Loki's relationship was always a strong point, and Ragnarok obviously continues on that front so watching it alone would be like half the story. Not to mention the multiple references to the previous movies and how Dark World's ending acts as this one's premise

Like, honestly, only Thor 2 is a bad movie imo, and that's mostly because it didn't develop the villain enough and it wastes too much time with the earth characters, the first Thor is a fine movie and i had to find out only long after it's release (i didn't care for it at first but wanted to watch it as prep for Avengers; made me wish i saw it in theater)

I read some of that comic where loki got stuck in a time cube by dr. doom, I'll chance it. Thanks.

>the MCU is going to get pretty bleak for a while with Infinity War
Yeah just like the MCU got bleak with Age of Ultron. Oh wait that was a quipfest.

Or like when it got bleak with Civil War. Oh wait orange slices.

Or like when it got bleak for Dr Strange. Oh wait the MCU is in no way a dark universe. It’s just a Disney channel movie series.

You mean the movie that ended with Tony and Steve beating each other up while one was crying about his strangled mom? How does "orange slices" define the movie?

A good understanding of Thor 1 might help, but honestly Avengers and Ultron are more important in Hulk's case.

And? Super heroes are good guys, not your edgelord teenage videogame antagonists. When did quippy/campy heroes become a bad thing? Batman used to be the campiest cape crusader with a boy in tights helping him save the day, Now look at him, Mr. Grimdark edgy, angry, detective who hates people. Fuck "Dark" stories, Comics need to be fun and enjoyable. Or at the very least keep a good balance.

>the movie that ended with Tony and Steve beating each other up
Not how it ended actually. It ended with Tony helping Steve break out their friends from prison. No stakes or gravity is maintained for longer than a scene or two.

And don’t tell me the cgi airport scene isn’t the most memorable part of Civil War. Nothing else in the movie comes close. That’s the scene with the most action in it.

>Super heroes are good guys, not your edgelord teenage videogame antagonists.
I’m not going to read beyond this sentence because you’re an idiot. Never did I argue that superheroes should be grimderp and edgy. I’m saying that Thor Ragnarok is on the opposite end of the spectrum and that’s no good either. Balance is important. Superheroes aren’t fucking jokes. They’re superheroes.

>When did quippy/campy heroes become a bad thing?
when it's fucking constant. It's worse than when James Bond kills a bad guy, because at least that's limited by how many bad guys are available to kill.

It makes them all come across as the same character, and that character is a smug twat

Thor 2 isn't even a bad movie. It just aims incredibly low, and while it hits the mark, you're still like, "really dude?"

But I'd still rather watch Thor 2 than, say, Catwoman, or Daredevil.

I'd like to point out that while Hemsworth bitches about wearing the winged Thor helmet, the actress playing Hela had zero problem wearing that ridiculous elk getup

>I'm not going to re-
Translation: I have no argument. Here's a facsimile of why i'm right with no evidence or rebuttal.

>Constant
Hardly. It's been 2 movies out of like 18.

Tony didn't help anybody. Unless you assume he could teleport in Ross' prison in an attosecond as soon as he called. And even then you say that like it invalidates the moments I'm mentioning, their fight is only worth if they're holding an eternal irrational grudge against each other?

>They're superheroes
Oh, good thing Ragnarok focused on Thor saving his people then, i was worried for a sec it'd end with a generic fight against a pointless CG monster

Yeah, i guess that's a good way to put it. The movie has redeemable parts despite... the movie, we could say. Except i actually kinda enjoy DD too, Elektra is really the only part i openly dislike, which is funny to think about because as i was saying i tie some of Thor 2's problems to the love interest

>That Justice league preview before the film

Jesus F. christ Zach. Why can you not direct a fucking decent DC film? I'm a huge DC fan and I'd love to see these movies get the same love and treatment Marvel gets, but Warner continues to be fucking moronic about their properties and thinks marketability is all they need to succeed.

Justice league looks like pure shit. Flash is an annoying kid, Arthur is a fucking rockstar that looks like that one destroy build destroy host. The only one that looks even half decent is Cyborg, and its really hard to fuck cyborg up. And even then DC refuses to establish continuity with their movies. Minor ties to DoJ, yet another awful movie, and thats it.

OP here

Like i said, I’d have been fine if it was innacurate i hardly care about accuracy as long as they’re great on their own, i loved GotG 1&2

I’m genuinely glad you liked it because i liked everything except the humor, but the humor was such a large part i have an overall negative opinion of the film

Glad you enjoyed it so much! I liked that his hammer is gone now, it’s an interesting direction for the character

Glad you liked it, the adventure of it was really fun to me. It could have been another genre and still worked but people seem to have enjoyed the humor

Daredevil is good though

This. I’d love a proper Superman movie but the Christopher Reeves ones remain the best

>see the preview stuff
>they can't even make a good trailer, it's just them in a weird interview setting telling us how great their characters are
>only the Flash actor is trying to have fun with it

I want a Flash+Aquaman film, fuck the rest of those boring fucks

The Aquaman film is allegedly "In the works" dependant on how well Justice league does. If they did an actual Manta story for once it'd be great, but something tells me its going to be another boring origin story with oceanmaster and the throne.

I'm assuming he's talking about the Ben Affleck Daredevil movie.

While I was watching, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Most of the jokes landed and I enjoyed all the characters, I even liked Valkyrie and I was prepared to dislike her for not being muh valkyrie but she worked well. The movie was great, the first Thor movie I actually enjoyed. It just didn't feel like a "Thor" movie if you know what I mean.

>Translation: I have no argument.
I literally made my argument in that same post. Try again.

>Tony didn't help anybody.
Tony was aware of Steve’s break-in and allowed it to happen under his watch. He facilitated the escape by taking no action.

>Oh, good thing Ragnarok focused on Thor saving his people then
You misunderstand the meaning of what I mean by superheroes. Rescuing people is a given. Saving the day goes without saying. My point is that there are no stakes, no sense of urgency, when all you hear is quips.

A death scene and a scene where someone cries are just piss in the wind in a hurricane of laughs. It’s meaningless. Tragedies have no weight when the story is weightless.

Disney is getting pretty bold. Devil's anus and the orgy comment would normally not be allowed in a PG-13 film.

>Tragedies have no weight in a hurricane of laughs

Tell that to Yandu and his fanbase. You're trying to speak for a majority with your own opinion as if it reflects the majority opinion, which. It doesn't. Nobody is watching these movies for epic tragedies and death scenes.

Well, that's your view i guess. I was watching Spiderman 2 on TV the other day, and that movie is full of Raimi's typical comedy, didn't remove any pathos or tragedy from the characters. Like, Octopus' tragic debut, which involves the horrible death of a dozen or something innocent souls, is actually just a fun and campy Evil Dead scene

Granted, I'm in no way comparing the movies quality wise. Jesus Christ, do i wish Raimi could go on with the series

That’s fair, and yeah it felt more like part of the GotG series than a Thor movie

I know, it was good as it’s own thing. Nowhere near as shit as people act like it is, Kingpin is great in that one.

It's my birthday!

Spidey 2 is a perfect example of a good superhero movie. Good balance of humor, camp, seriousness and excitement.

Spidey 3 is a perfect example of a bad super hero movie, because it threw all 4 of those out the door.

No it didn't. SM3's problems are all plot-related (rushed Venom introduction, rushed resolve of MJ's personal problems etc)

>But this movie was by no exagerration just another GotG movie, except with some Thor characters now.
And that is its failing.
I wish it actually were GotG vol.3.
But I'll take a non-shite Thor.

>This thread
Am I the only one that actually liked Thor? I get the hate for Dark world, because it was long winded, boring, and the Elves were terrible villains, but the original setup with Thor and loki was actually pretty good and entertaining.

I count at least me and another user vouching for Thor, so no. It really was a solid start, and Loki is a great character

I liked the movie, but the start was pretty bad. Everything since Thor talks with Surtur till Hela first appears is spoon fed into the audience, leaving nothing for us. Plus Odin's death was super rushed and very anticlimactic. After they get thrown into Skaar, that's when the movie gets good. The Rock character, the revolution one is my favorite in particular.

I never thought that GotG 2 had too many quips that interrupted or took away from the emotional moments of the film, but that's EXACTLY how I felt about Ragnarok. GotG 2 was a comedy that left just enough room for some good drama, whereas Ragnarok felt like 100% comedy and nothing else. I genuinely couldn't tell if they even wanted me to give a shit about Asgard blowing up at the end, since it was presented as the deeply emotional event that it should have been.

That being said, it was still a fun movie and I did enjoy it. I just expected more.

I really enjoyed the movie, it's probably my third favorite MCU movie. It reminded me more of Kirby's stuff more than the other Thor movies, I also got an Incal vibe from it. My main gripes are the Warriors Three just dying and then being swept aside without any acknowledgement from Thor and I felt they could've toned the humour down towards the ending.

Yeah the humor got in the way of emotional investment WAY harder than in GotG. Not that there was anything worth being invested in...

We were talking about the first movie, actually.

I liked it as an adventure, I just didn’t find it funny. And it was a comedy

"Didn't read comics"

- brought the valkyrie in, including brunnhilde
- Fenris
- had surtur destroy asgard with Thor's help/blessing just like what happened int he comics the last Ragnorak
- Korg
- Meik
- obedience disks
- went full god mode with the characters, instead of alien shit
- thor god of thunder not god of hammer, finally
- Loki full on god of michief, never know what he is planning, ever
- skurge moment
- having strange actually be a god damn beast of a sorcerer

Not to mention effortlessly connecting to previous movies (didn't find any stones, giving up on Loki in the elevator, odin wanting ot be with Frigga, lulliby, hulk smashing thor like loki, ect for example) without it being a burden on the plot

director did comic book shit better than comic books do.

It wansnn't perfect, some of the slapstick humor was not my cup of tea, but the highlights are so high it still works.

Because DC's biggest successes to date have been the Nolan Batflicks, and they equate success with angst. Even when they try to break out of that, they slap GotG all over Suicide Squad and it makes the jump between the two different styles feel disjointed as hell. Fuck, if there WAS a DC movie that should have that angst-ridden Dark Night trilogy feel, it should have been SS.

DC runs back to the DK trilogy when they aren't trying to copy Marvel. DC *has* the most iconic superheroes in existence. If they would just say "You know what? Fuck what Marvel is doing. Let's do what is right for our characters," it would be awesome. They finally did that with Wonder Woman, and I hope they learned their lesson, but Snyder wasn't overly involved with that. They let Snyder fuck up Superman because of Bryan Singer's shitty "Superman Returns."

I know it's kinda the opposite of what I just said, but DC really needs their own Kevin Feige.... someone *other* than Zack Snyder. Snyder doesn't really love DC comic's characters... he loves a 300esque parody of them. You find someone who can say "Oh, yeah... the different types of Kryptonite are blah blah blah blah, but fuschia Kryptonite only made on appearance in the rare Superman Superspecial #69 back in 1973. Did you know only 5 copies of that issue are still in existence and I own 3 of them?"

I'm not saying they have to mimic what Feige's done with Marvel... hell, they should have started the whole thing with the Justice League movie - nobody needs to see Batman or Superman's origin for the 52nd time. About the only character the average movie goer / noncomic book reader would need any explanation on is Cyborg... and you know, if I knew nothing about Vic Stone, I could probably make a damn good guess just based on the character's appearance.

DC should do their own thing, and do right by the characters. Sadly, a lot of people are going to view Darkseid as a Thanos knockoff because Marvel got there first.

SM3 tried to do too much in one movie. And Tobey Maguire can't play the part of an intimidating bad boy with a gun to his head, and that's what the Venom corruption called for.

He looked like a nerd trying to convince everyone he listens to heavy metal and that he's related to Ozzy Osbourne.

> You find someone who can say "Oh, yeah... the different types of Kryptonite are blah blah blah blah, but fuschia Kryptonite only made on appearance in the rare Superman Superspecial #69 back in 1973.

The likelihood of finding someone that knowledgeable, AND a full fledged talented and seasoned veteran director is slim to none and you know it. Profession comes before trivia in the industry.

>- having strange actually be a god damn beast of a sorcerer
I didn't see the Dr Strange film... is he anything like he was in this?

absent-minded professor type

nah he was just doing what a nerd like him thinks of as being 'cool' or 'badass', he wasn't actually supposed to magically be cool or badass. Peter isn't a 'bad boy'

But yeah it did try to do too much

Well, for the hundredth time, that was the point. Or do you think Raimi wanted us to think he was cool when trying to hit on random chicks? I agree the movie had too much going on tho

You know more than one person work to make a movie, and a director doesn't have to write their script, right?

>Was he anything like this
Towards the end yes, But Strange is one of the most enjoyable marvel films to date. Great character portrayal and great balance of humor.

He's training for most of the movie, he doesn't start to be in control until the end. I agree with the other user, it's worth a watch

>great balance of humor
I disagree, I liked the movie, but a lot of the jokes didn't land for me.

>About the only character the average movie goer / noncomic book reader would need any explanation on is Cyborg
I don't think anyone needs any explanations on any of superhero.

People know what superheros are, as a general concept... the particular theme-ing doesn't really do much.

cyborg is a robot-guy. If he says "I can plug into computers" then we go with it... I don't see the mass public outcry when CSI says the can do shit with UIs and constant "enhance", and theyre not even superheros.

How long until the comics replace muh Valkyrie for synergy?

but transformers are not enjoyable nor fun

This.

Sad to say but Superheroes are such a simple marketable concept. Take Dawn of justice for example. The millions of people who went to see it were by no means DC fans and comic book fans, they were average moviegoers who wanted to see an epic fight between BATMAN(tm) and SUPERMAN(tm).

You don't need to be a comic book fan to know those two. Its like having to be a pokemon fan to know wnat pikachu is. Its so mass marketable and well known that it will sell on name and concept alone.

I never felt that way in GotG2 but I felt that way at least twice in Ragnarok. I pinpoint it right when Thor and Valkyrie were talking in Hulk's room and Thor versus Hela.

I'm not talking about a director - I'm talking about a producer, and Marvel found that guy. That's WHO Kevin Feige is. He's the one responsible for making the MCU so coherent - with movies that the average normie can enjoy and tons of little things that only comics fans are going to spot, and it works well on both levels.

Snyder is a... well... uneven director at best. His movies are incredible stylistically, but content... he's not really suited to capshit. A real comic book fan would have said "You know what? We'll find a way to make the alien invasion angle work in Watchmen."

DC is trying to let Snyder do that, on top of directing a bunch of the movies and that obviously isn't working. Excluding Wonder Woman, which he didn't really have a hand in because he was dealing with other stuff, all of the DC films he has helmed have had some fairly serious problems.

I don't want you to think I'm hating on DC... I'm not. Superman is one of my favorite characters of all time, but the tone of MoS and BvS was all wrong for him. They should let Snyder run the Batman movies... the sort of dark edginess that he likes is a perfect fit for Batman solo movies, but it just isn't right for Superman.

They better make Beta Ray Bill Thor's replacement when Hemsworth hangs up his hammer

>Thor and Valkyrie were talking in Hulk's room
She's asgardian. Holding down alcohol like that isn't really a joke. its expected.

No, I am talking about the dodgeball thing.

Its ironic too seeing as wonder woman somehow has been DC's best film to date. And all it took was a good break from the plot for some shenanigans in London to keep it from being "EPIC BATTLE, MUST FIGHT ENEMY" for the whole movie.

>hell, they should have started the whole thing with the Justice League movie - nobody needs to see Batman or Superman's origin for the 52nd time.
In retrospect, I think we are all better off not knowing Snyder's Pa Kent told Clark not to save a bus full of children, and then commit suicide via tornado. In fact Snyder's Superman backstory is nearly where all the problem started.

>Traveling on a spaceship between Asgard and Earth
Aren't they supposed to be in separate universes, with the Bifrost being the only thing connecting them?

>
MCU hasnt estblished dimensionary boundries other than strange and the dark dimension. The nine realms are all still on the same dimensional plane, just on different wavelengths.

>Mjolnir gone
>Captain America will never lift it against Thanos

Have you watched any of the movies? Bifrost is a teleportation beam that can pick you up from anywhere. It's only an actual bridge from Asgard to the Teleport Machine.

All the "realms" have so far been depicted as planets. Plus, even if they are different universes, there are apparently natural portals just scattered around, like the ones leading to Sakaar.

I blinked, saw Thor was missing a eye then said "wait what happened"

made sense when Thor picked up Odins rape stick and didnt rape Hela with it

>gone
Tony already picked it up and has begun crafting Thors new hammer and armor with it

If I did want something to change, I wanted Korg to shut the hell up.

>No square inch of the film besides a few visuals like Gladiator Hulk were based off the comics,

He stood alone.