Thoughts on Surtur in Thor: Ragnarok™ Sup Forums?

thoughts on Surtur in Thor: Ragnarok™ Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7vLNEIB4WI
youtube.com/watch?v=Fjadzqf3Htk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I wonder what its like to be a walking talking deus ex machina?

cool design and had an awesome moment in the movie in my opinion but I felt he was underused

Pretty good, espically when you learn he's voiced by mr krabs

Not enough quips.

Well, he did what he promised. So the bad guy won?

Boring shitty CGI monster like every other Hollywood movie

Poor man's Khorne. Poorer man's Kaela Mensha Khaine.

>I can't die until I destroy Asgard! Yarharharharhar

>Poor man's Khorne. Poorer man's Kaela Mensha Khaine.

Then who is Hela and Thor then?

He fullfiled my Galactus wish.
Fox can fuck off now

Cool look, didnt live up to the hype.

SQUIDWAAAAARD!!!!

He was at least more fulfilling than he was in The Avenger's: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I actually liked how he was presented. Like, in the opening, he looked REALLY FUCKING COOL. Course he was a machina for the ending, he still just was awesome. I hope he comes back, cause it's weird that he would just blow himself and Asgard up.

You do realize hes done A LOT more voice work than Mister Krabs, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=g7vLNEIB4WI

Which is why I was hoping for Gorrath from Megas XLR. But he doesn't have the recognizable quotes like Mr. Krabs.

Unironically the best character in the movie

You do realize that I know this, but find the most enjoyment imagining a giant Eugene Krabs gleefully ransacking Asgard

He honestly fared a little better than I thought. I thought he was just going to be a filler monster in the opening, but him having a major role in the end was nice.

Boring as fuck.

Thor can't push a button if you disable his eye.

The dragon was pretty cool, especially when it was flying.

I liked him and thought he was used effectively. No complaints.

Dropping the hammer in its mouth was pretty neat

Kek

He isn't a deus ex machina. His role was established from the literal first scene in the film, then given new meaning by the plot twist about the prophecy

This.

Did he die at the end?

>Did he die at the end?
Yes, but he will come back the next time Asgard is rebuilt. He is the off switch for each former Asgard nation.

>but I want to blow up Asgaurd...

He seemed really happy in the end. Him being happy made me happy.

a common voice actor in a hollywood movie? i love when that happens

Who was more wasted? Dormammu or Surtur?

Dormammu was just a floating head.

Surtur wasn't wasted at all. He "killed" the big bad.

But you know what I mean... both are more powerful than base Thanos, IMO... and without Galactus and Ego, who will be the big bad after Thanos?

Wait, he was actually in this movie? Color me surprised.

I'm glad I recognized Brown's voice within 5 seconds.

Except he wasn't

He had a body. He even uses his hands to attack Strange in some of the death loops. You may need your eyes checked.

Poor mans Cersei and Jaimie

He was voiced by Taskmaster you scrub!

except we were visually presented to a floating head who was appropriately used to the potential of such

He had a body and smacked Strange with one of his hands, thats all Im saying

Played his part in the prophecy of Ragnarok, did his fucking job

I want a Miek Pepe and Korg Wojack

Dormammu is definitely still around and has every reason to be bearing a grudge.

Surtur may well have survived the destruction of Asgard as well so he could still be a threat.

His function in the movie was more accurate to Norse mythology than the Asgardians themselves, so kudos to them for that.

I like to think of him tumbling in space feeling really smug and self-satisfied at finally getting to fulfill his primary function, then suddenly he shouts, "OH SHIT NOW HOW DO I GET BACK HOME!?"

And in the fullness of time, in eons yet to come, fragments of Asgard orbiting him coalesce into a new world and life slowly develops anew, with Surtur as their sun. Unfortunately for him they are JUST a smidge out of his sword reach so all he really has is throwing harsh language at them. Not that the sound travels in space so they just worship him as The Great Fiery One and have entire holidays dedicated to his honor. Also orgies. Out in the open where he's forced to watch. He hates those the most.

Once during that stretch of countless years, Surtur is visited by a single Celestial; a monolithic, expressionless humanoid, as and cold in manner and body as Surtur himself is hot in temper and nature. The two colossal entities regard each other for a moment, a day, an age? Such arbitrary constructs of time are meaningless to beings such as those.

It comes to pass that Surtur recovers from his surprise at encountering another in his unexpected self-exile and asks "Hey, can I have a hand here?"

The Celestial, of course, applauds and then promptly leaves because they're dicks like that.

only if we get Miek having a full on character development throughout 3-ish movies with the last one with him being the big bad and evolved with the "totally not zerg" race that I just can't remember what is called right now.

I enjoyed the heroes defeating the villain by releasing an even bigger villain and then fucking off. It's also really weird how despite being essentially a comedy, Ragnarok had much bigger lasting consequences than all of the other MCU films combined in the form of Odin's death and the destruction of Asgard.

I think he's way better than Hela as villain, maybe because he didn't snark at all and isn't nigh-invulnerable.

I ship him with Te Ka.

I think I saw that guy in Doctor Who once

No, no, no. That was Purple Flame Man. This is Red Flame Man.

nigga looks like less hair/spiky Malebolgia

What is Dormamu doing in Thor?

noice

Surtur Bitchson stompin around enjoying himself was pretty cool at the end

>youtube.com/watch?v=Fjadzqf3Htk
Terrible

I wish he looked like Malebolgia

>thoughts on Surtur in Thor: Ragnarok™ Sup Forums?
I like Clancy Brown's voice.

All CGI villain ranking:
1. Surtur
2. Ultron
3. Dormammu
4. Sentinels
5. Doomsday
6. Destroyer
7. Incubus
8. Galactus
9. Sentient Poo Cloud

666. Malebolgia

shut up Todd

We only see the fist for like that one shot.

He might as well be Andross

He used the same attacks from Marvel Heroes, as did Thor, plunging the Twilight Sword into Asgard was waaaay satisfying to see.

He was ok

The opening fight with Surtur was the best scene Thor's had in a movie desu. Felt jarringly like the ending of a movie though, like the Hobbit movie that started with Smaug getting defeated.

That said I liked Surtur a lot, voice and design were stellar and I actually liked the "bait and switch" with him being a bit part.

Too bad Thor didn't go up against this version. He would have lost.

forgot pic

he was a joke character in a joke of a movie. criminal misuse.

Did anyone else really like those shots zooming to Odin on the cliff before Thor's powerup? As soon as that happened in the fight with Hulk I knew shit was going down. During the whole fight with Hela I was on the edge of my seat waiting for it to happen again

Not really, but it was a bit obvious what would happen. Hell, we already know he was going full Raiden from the ads. "What are you the god of, exactly?" Visiting your mentor or significant influence, especially after their death/sacrifice, is pretty cliche.

Doesn't make the scenes bad, just means that it was pretty heavily telegraphed, just as it was clear the first visit wasn't going to be the most significant because it was middle of the movie and he'd have to have one more go before unlocking his true power levels when facing Hela.

Honestly, I don't mind cliche as long as it's done well, which I thought it was on the movie. More specifically, I love the cliche of the mentor figure visiting the hero one last time after dying. And I didn't watch any trailers so I wasn't spoiled on that before going in.

There's nothing wrong with the scene, though it was pretty standard. Coupled with his non-standard Asgardian death it was all very Star Wars as he becomes more powerful than Hela could possibly imagine.

Basically mileage varies on how jaded you've become to cinema, I guess. Or anime?

I've learned to compartmentalize by enjoyment of things like superhero movies from more "serious" cinema. Like Roger Ebert, say. It's very liberating to be able to enjoy things for what they are, even that isn't anything too noteworthy.

So Odin tells Thor that he gains his power from Asgard, which is what Hela does which supposedly makes her unstoppable, so did destroying Asgard weaken them both or did Odin mean that Hela gains hers from the place while Thor gains his from the abstract notion that Asgard is wherever its people are?

If Hela gained her powers from the place and Thor from the people they should have said so.

>so did destroying Asgard weaken them both or did Odin mean that Hela gains hers from the place while Thor gains his from the abstract notion that Asgard is wherever its people are?
I think this is the one. Hela had no qualms about destroying the Asgardian PEOPLE, but she wanted to make the PLACE of Asgard the seat of power to a mighty empire again. Thor had to learn to protect Asgard's people first and foremost, even if it meant destroying their physical home.

Well he was a Hollywood actor before he started focusing on voice work.

Are they gonna pair Hela with Thanos considering she is the closes thing to the personification of Death

Distracted from the hilarious comedy and antics. Wow so funny

I'm with . It helps that Odin talks about it in the same scene that Asgard is really its people and wherever they are, but basically drawing his power from protecting his people, well, he IS a super hero in a comic book movie so it's kind of unspoken.

I guess I can see him taking maybe a power hit in time for Infinity War, though honestly I don't think they'd do that. They fight Thanos and Thor quips about having bested the actual Goddess of Death, Thanos just has to shout, "INFERIOR WAIFU! THERE IS ONLY ONE DEATH!"

Dormammu felt like not-Galactus t me

most voice actors are hollywood b-listers who arent pretty enough to get steady work

He sounded so familiar to me and it was bugging me that I couldn't place the voice actor. When I saw Clancy Brown in the credits I was like "duh, of course"

Balrog wannabe of minor level

Clancy Brown also voiced Parallax.

Not so much evil as a part of the workings of the cosmos

Asgard was fated to burn, so he burned it

>first thing Thanos does is spaz about his edgy Death waifu

I got a good laugh when Hela toppled the infinity gauntlet in the vault and said it was a fake

Shadow of Mordor looks amazing.

Does it imply she's seen the real one?

I get the feeling you could really sense the infinity gauntlet with all the gems in it

He looks like someone threw Sargeras, Shao Kahn, Satan, the Balrog, and a Cyberdemon into a blender and hit "puree".

>Dormammu I've come to bargain