Why is that Hollywood used to be able to make films like Conan the Barbarian and Predator for <$20 million budgets...

Why is that Hollywood used to be able to make films like Conan the Barbarian and Predator for

Attached: v1.jpg (300x300, 27K)

CGI

But I thought that part of the advantage of CGI is that it's cheap... maybe I'm wrong though.

Money laundering
Special effects
Actor's salaries

>But I thought that part of the advantage of CGI is that it's cheap
No

CGI is expensive and looks like shit and a big reason hollywood budgets have bloated like this.
It's also a great way to get tax write offs for hollywood accounting

because conan and predator are shit

Green and blue screen is cheap to put an actor "into" a place which is difficult or expensive to actually film on. i.e. in the middle of Time Square NY. pic related

What it isn't cheap for: everything else

Attached: captain america ending.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Attached: 1517565617391.jpg (750x750, 61K)

one of the advantages of CGI is that you dont risk accidentally killing people with helicopters due to gross negligence.

they still make cheaper movies. those movies didnt cost shit because it was just dudes in a jungle... or dudes in a desert... with some cheap prop makers who mastly got work for haunted house fx

Nintendo Switch is gay. Fuck off and go drink a tofu latte

This bait has worked and has successfully triggered me.

Attached: 1515073248874.jpg (255x200, 10K)

As movies became increasingly profitable, salaries and costs in the industry followed the trend, not only for actors. Why does it cost 150 fucking million dollars to do a Pixar movie? Because they know it will make that much money, so the fuckers who are essential to production ask for a fuckload of money.

they earned millions!

to brainwash billions.

Attached: 1499134543567.png (720x707, 579K)

Dunno mate. It’s an almond activator I’ll give you that

I can’t understand how Saving Private Ryan and What Women Want had the same production budget

"Accidentally"

Attached: johnlandis.jpg (282x400, 27K)

maybe because most of the props in SPR were given to them by the army since its a really pro america and pro war movie.

higher paid participants, more CGI, more workers in general. They want to make it flashy and cool, instead of interesting.

Actors' salaries have gone out of control

Granted, but WWW is essentially a 90 minute indoor conversation between Helen hunt and Mel.

How the fuck did that cost $70m

no idea but you could probably analyze the movie and find some money sinks they put into it. plus mel gibson was pretty big still during that time.

I completely agree. Conan was the most boring Arnold I've seen, and Predator, while the first 3/4ths were great, shit its pants in the last quarter. How in the FUCK is this alien assassin who is so badass he can take on Arnold + his crew the whole movie, suddenly not able to take on just Arnold by himself? if Predator won, the movie would be good, but he lost for LITERALLY NO REASON, so it's a shitty story and a shitty ending to a shitty movie. I am SO MAD that arnold won that

it's basically a ponzi scheme nowadays

If you start looking into Hollywood accounting, you'll end up posting on Sup Forums and that's a good thing.

The Conan movies had some terrible effects tho.

Reducing costs isn't a priority

Attached: geraldo.gif (360x240, 1003K)

Answered in another thread, but its a manopoly now. There used to be room for italians to make movies like conan, but now you have movies strangled by unions who say you should pay your electrician 10X scale and catering 10X what a sandwhich costs. Its mafia. Movies are expensive so YOU cant make one. Enjoy your capeshit fellas.

Before CG, there was talent

and still looks better than today's films

>John Landis is about to enter the Twillight Zone.

Attached: 1781939.jpg (1200x871, 79K)

Overall yes, but some scenes look really silly. For example the snake fight, or the human soup in the temple.
However they did great job with props and costumes, and you spend most time 'mirin Arnold anyway.

Sup Forums only pretends to like awful action movies from the 80s because they're insecure betas. they love the idea of hyper manliness because they've never had sex and are afraid of girls.

no, I like Arnold saying funny things. i could care less about explosions or guns. his top three movies are Twins, Junior, and Last Action Hero

Attached: 1492008816381.jpg (629x807, 130K)

good taste

>absolute fucking plebs

Or you produce independently. You don't have to go to hollywood to make a movie, that place is a dying hellhole anyway.

dying in what way? it's a business and they're doing great financially

>anons like the first Conan
>most dislike the sequel
>durr errbody leiks 80s action mobies cuz masculinity

it had the advantage of surprise you stupid fuck, when Arnold knew what he was going against he was able to defeat it. when was the last time you used your brain?

what in the name is that? is ths gerald?

Predator could have killed him at any time during the movie except the helicopter ride, and maybe even then. It's not a good or satisfying movie. Anyone with a brain knows that god damn alien warrior with camoflauge and gear > arnold with a gun. I'd have loved the movie if arnie was the first one picked off

It's not an assassin it's a hunter, he's enjoying himself making the most of his week off work, not trying to get as many kills as he can