Incredibly powerful godlike being

>incredibly powerful godlike being
>lets thousands of men die to dragons, trolls and giant elephants
why couldn't he magic some shit up

Attached: gandalf.jpg (606x340, 48K)

all he had to do was conjure some wind to help the undead army's ships arrive quicker

Attached: IMG_2595.jpg (1920x800, 722K)

Watching the Hobbit Trilogy Extended Editions? Yay or Nay?

I've never seen the Hobbit but I heard it's an abomination that you should never watch in your lifetime.

gandalf and the other wizards were sent to middle earth to give aid and counsel, not as great powers to just btfo the bad guys themselves.
it's the whole reason they take the forms of old men, and they are in fact forbidden from using their full power, or even revealing their true nature.
also, an extra tidbit, the maia Olorin (Gandalf) did not want to go on the mission, as he feared Sauron.

Ghost shops aren't affected by normal wind you moron. What he should have done is kill some air so there would be a pressure difference in the realm of the dead and the dead wind would be stronger

>Lets his dwarven friends die horrible deaths.
>Recruits their nephew
>Travels with him for months without mentioning half of his family has been wiped out.
>Acts all sad when they stumble on the bodies.

This, just read the (fantastic) book.

who sent them to middle earth?

What is gandalf capable of doing?

>they are in fact forbidden from using their full power, or even revealing their true nature

Doesn't that go so far as to them having no memories of their true form while in mortal form?

>(fantastic)
Why did this poster lie?

They weren't on ghost ships, they were on real ships that they took from the corsair fleet that was supposed to be arriving as reinforcements for Sauron

>who sent them to middle earth?
the Valar
>What is gandalf capable of doing?
all of the things you see him do in the novel/films
>Doesn't that go so far as to them having no memories of their true form while in mortal form?
there is no suggestion of that

where the Istari allowed to fuck shit up if they were to fight other Maiar, like Balorgs? Because I refuse to believe an old man could fight a flaming monster-man when even Aragon and Boromir noped out of that fight.
But if Gandalf did use his maiar-strength against the Balrog, why couldn't he use it against Sauron, too?
I guess Sauron was a special case while Balrogs where evil but not that powerfull and kinda dumb.

nay

>fireballs
>holy light
>energy shield
>powers of persuasion
>going big and shadowy
>friendly with eagles
>coming back from the dead
>bringing pippin back from (near) death
>handy with a sword
there's probably more

OKAY but what was his tax policy

what was Gandalf's tax policy?

The Hobbit Trilogy is like the Star Wars prequel trilogy but without any foot holds to make contrarian arguments about it being secretly good. It is not even good for memes.

Yes. Gandalf's limiters were taken off for the Balrog fight.

>I refuse to believe an old man could fight a flaming monster-man
think of it more as a disguise. he isn't actually a frail old man. you see in the films how he fares against the balrog. he shields against the flaming whip, shouts the balrog down, clashes blades with him before finally breaking the bridge with his power. then after being pulled into the chasm he fights the balrog for literally days.
>old man
don't let appearances decieve you

he didn't come from the back though, that was Eru sending him back because Curumir dun goofed.

Explained in the books, he isn't supposed to directly interfere in the human conflict, only guide the humans.

Yet another reason why Hackson is a hack.

Sauron is way more powerful than Gandalf.

this. Sauron is just a step below the Devil himself.

I know that Gandalf was just a disguise, what I meant was if he was allowed to fight the Balrog with all his might, but not 5 Istari went out to fuck up Sauron with their full strength. Because in essence, Sauron is a Balrog too (also a maiar).
Or let me phrase it this way: If Sauron ever met a Istari (capturing one or being confronted by one on the street) would the limits be of the wizards as well?

Jackson didn't write the books.

kek

wasn't there any maiar who could handle Sauron, at least in a fight? Tulkas might have some fuckers ready. Or fuck, sent Eowne, Manwes herold. He was the best fighter in the world anyways.
In that sense the Valar wouldn't interefere directly with middle-earth (which would fuck up Arda eben more) but only destroy Sauron.
Or is Sauron the best of the best maiarions?

when did this happen?

am I the only one whose autism gets rustled when anons start talking about gandalf vs sauron like it's anime power level shit?

Sauron was a shadow (hah) of his old self. In a sense, he's mirror Gandalf, whose power is in persuading others. So, Gandalf is of similar effective power level to Sauron.

I'm pulling this out of my ass, but Melkor was the strongest of the Valar iirc so Sauron being the strongest Maia makes sense.

I don't care for the movies that much but I love when lotr autists post about the lore

yes but the nazgul literally can't die surely he would be allowed to use his full powers for something that men can't defeat

don't tell me he counted on eowyn to kill the witch king

>google that
>mfw there are actually books

What the fuck.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 8K)

Why are Gandalf and the others not allowed to intervene when there are a bunch of other divine beings very clearly intervening by fucking up the world?

Fucking Gods and their logic.

no. but he counted on Frodo to through the ring into Mt. Doom so that the Nazgul (and with it the witchking of Angmar), orcs and all other shit would collapse. Eowyn destroying the wk was a nice boost but did not really matter. Only Sauron mattered since it was his will that bound them all.

Magneto would have been a better help

Attached: Magneto-Ian-McKellen-Edition.jpg (683x1024, 88K)

download the tolkien edit

The gods that didn't intervene ended up winning tho. It's not meant to be realistic but Gandalf didn't interfere was because the point was that men were meant to find there own strength

they sort of swore off direct intervention after the war of wrath at the end of the first age destroyed half the continent.

Attached: pXddc.jpg (1280x587, 277K)

>rivendale meeting
>tears the ring in half
>hmph.. homosapians..
>roll credits

they were to afraid to destroy middle-earth if they went there. The Valar don't exactly know "restraint". If they went to middle-earth the whole of Gondor / Rhoan / Morder and Eriador would proably be swept under the rug (of Ulmo's sea). They are more like embodied catastrophies.

he 1v1 a balrog and won

by all dying!

great jeorb.

this is why i hate gods. they are stupid.

Attached: trips.jpg (275x489, 17K)

>be the avatar of a God on earth with magic powers
>get humbled and have you staff broken by a larping human riding around on a baby dragon

Attached: gandalf btfo.jpg (600x240, 53K)