Was Adult Swim a mistake?

Before the days of Adult Swim, cartoon creators used to put a lot of effort into creating kid's cartoons that also appeal to all ages.

Now that Adult Swim exists, it's all divided. You have baby cartoons with no interesting content, and adult cartoons that are just slurs of sex and gore.

McFarland ruined AS but it doesn't matter so and it will just be an app like Cartoon Network is.

>and adult cartoons that are just slurs of sex and gore.
That was happening before adult swim though with the likes of South Park and Family Guy. At least it's one of the few places still pushing for more experimental creator driven content, even if Lazzo feels the need to slowly sabotage everything.

No, we got Moral Orel, continued Home Movies, Sealab 2021 out of it

No and basically everything in your post is wrong

Rick and Morty proves you wrong.

ITT: Edgy manchildren disagreeing with OP because he questioned their precious adult cartoons

>ATHF
>Space Ghost
>Brakk SHow
>Eric Andre
>Edgy
You get one more try kiddo

No you're just too young to appreciate how refreshing a change adult swim was back in 2000.

>questioned their precious adult cartoons
By posting historical falsities and inaccurate generalizations
Not that your "argument" was any better

ATHF, Space Ghost, and Brak Show I'll grant, but I'd hate to know you find edgy if Eric Andre isn't. Also, none of those shows had mentioned up to this point. I'm specifically referring to Morel Orel and Ricky and Morty fags who think these shows are bastions of mature, intelligent writing.

Please, prove that you know what the fuck you're talking about and show the "historical falsities" in the OP.

desu adult swim became shallow when shows like Boondocks, ATHF, Sealab 2021, and Metalocalypse ends. Now it's only good for Toonami.

At least AS has Bobs Burger.

Eric Andre isn't edgy, its more cringe humor then it being egdy like say Rick and Morty, MDE, Superjail or even Metalacolypse.

>kids cartoons haven't attempted to appeal to older audiences since [as] began (2001)
>adult cartoons since then are just "slurs of sex and gore"
>children's cartoons since then are "baby cartoons with no interesting content" (this might be subjective but there's no way anyone on Sup Forums believes this)
>there is a strong divide between cartoons for children and adults with minimal crossover and [as] was the major cause of it (Fox? Never heard of it)
All objectively and verifiably wrong

[as] is a phenomenal beacon of culture and the peak of American creativity.
Lazzo did nothing wrong and the worst shows are at least interesting experiments like King Star King and Scopio Peeplo.

It gave us China IL, ATHF, Tim and Eric, the Venture Bros, World Peace, Squidbillies, Rick and Morty amd Harvey Birdman.
I cannot fathom how anyone could even pretend this network isn't the best thing on American television.

Inb4 some shitty rant on the "quality of animation" and cartoons with "values".

>Lazzo did nothing wrong
Does Sup Forums dislike Lazzo now? Fucking hell the man was singlehandedly responsible for Cartoon Network as we know it

We hate him because he hates all of his old work. He calls Space Ghost Coast to Coast a horrible, drug-induced mistake. Or something to that effect.

Nigga I like moral orel for just being a dark comedy in it's first two seasons.

The third season was just a bonus

I dunno, the one time I watch Eric Andre they had a bit where they had the band American Authors in a human centipede.

Yes user, AS is definitely the reason why that happened.

Fuck Adult Swim for the sole fact that it give birth to Tim&Eric

>third season
that season was soul-crushingly dark

>Now it's only good for Toonami
But Toonami's line-up sucks ass

As much of a mistake as your mom not swallowing before your birth.

It was fine until seth mccucklane popped up

>Morel Orel and Ricky and Morty
The fact that you picked these two specifically just makes it seem like you're an easily offended Christfag.

If it wasn't for Adult Swim, Alan Resnick most likely would have never found success or an audience. I accept all the flaws for this one success.

Anyone else feel like squidbillies is moving away from southern depreciation humor and taking low blows at the supposed "new right" phenomenon? Tonights episode basically felt like a low effort mockery of Sup Forums.

They had a MAGA Pepe easteregg tin a sequence where Early says the jews did 9/11 to take over mars.
Then there was a joke about a magic goblet being worshiped for being "anti PC" in which Sharif points out that just means it wants to say "racist things", an argument I've seen in about a hundred "I Am SILLY!" webcomics that criticize free speech.

Then, completely out of character Dan Halen acts as if he finds the cup's racism abhorrent and doesn't want it to say "The N-word" despite being an incarnation of living evil.

I'm not saying it still doesn't have funny moments, but it feels like it's shifitng away from its old humor in favor of mocking "Rural and Suburban Retards".

>and adult cartoons that are just slurs of sex and gore
>implying it hasn't always been that way in the US
>what is fritz the cat and heavy metal

Was adult swim a mistake? Not quite. Though they helped normalize edgy cartoons in the 21st century, there trailblazering has helped a way for cartoons to land on other networks. Before it was just Comedy Central, MTV and some mild Fox animation. Now anyone anywhere can have an animated cartoon for adults. Hell even Logo had Rick and Steve. G4 had Code Monkeys. Axe cop was able to come to life. There have been good times had despite adult swim trying to off itself with live action anti comedy.

*their
Sorry guys.

>Toonami
>Good

But OP, Adult Swim started in 2001, while the best all-ages (not "kids'") cartoons came out in the mid-2000s.

Your theory needs some tweaking, at the very least.

It is too late.

eh not true, you can't say stuff like The Venture Bros, Rick & Morty and Frisky Dingo is low effort. I will agree that all their current "adult cartoons" are really trying to hard with the sex and gore. What happened to tamer comedies like Home Movies or Space Ghost? Was it just because Aqua Teen was their first success story?

Yeah that episode was pretty cringy to say the least although the last 30 seconds made me laugh pretty fucking hard I still think this show needs to die.

Moral Orel is just funny, there's nothing thought provoking about it.

Rick and Morty is borderline edgy humor though.

Adult swim is the best thing to happen to western animation.

Nigga please. MTV animation shorts and series did what Adult Swim years before.

Tim and Eric ruined Adult Swim.

Why is Sup Forums now full of soccer moms who cry and moan at any sign of sex, gore, or criticism of traditional Christian values?

Thanks to Tumblr.

I said
STRONG
CHRISTIAN
VALUES