Is Thor an Alien?

Arguing with a friend over whether Thor, in the MCU movies specifically, is an alien or not. Please respond.

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Asgardians
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's from another planet. So yes.

He's an alien, however in the comics "gods" seem to be some kind of unique species that are different from other "mortal" aliens for some reason.

Also, in the Dark World, I'm pretty sure I remember Thor being teleported between Earth and Asgard at random while summoning his hammer and the hammer kept changing directions. To me, this implies that Asgard is physical planet that exists somewhere, hence the hammer trying to make its way to him physically. To me, this suggests that Asgard isn't on another plane of existence or something because the hammer is being physically pulled to a location.

Also, at the end of Ragnarok, Thor is headed to earth via spaceship.

In my eyes, he's just as much an alien as Superman.

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Asgardians

>The Asgardians are an extra-dimensional race of beings who were worshiped as gods by the Scandinavian and Germanic tribes of Western Europe. Their origins are shrouded in myth, making it difficult to nail down the truth of all of the stories written about them. According to Norse myths, the giant Ymir traveled the icy wastes of Northern Europe with a giant cow named Audhumbla. The cow began to lick the ice until she uncovered a humanoid entity named Buri, who emerged from the ice.

Born on Earth? Not an alien.

Born outside of Earth? An alien.

Thor is the son of Gaea, the physical incarnation of Earth itself. Thor was born on Earth and thus not an alien.

Technically both comic and movie Thor are aliens, it just depends on what meaning you use for the term "Alien". MCU Thor is clearly from another planet, while comic Thor is from another dimension.

Is that from the Norse mythology or Marvel mythology? Either way, I don't see how it applies to MCU. I'm pretty sure in the MCU we've really got no idea where Thor was physically born.

I think it's kinda shaky logic anyway. Connor Kent, Jon Kent and Bizzaro were all born on earth -you wouldn't count these guys as at least half alien? According to John Byrne's continuity, Kal-El popped out of the birthing matrix on earth too, does that make him not an alien?

What about a xenomorph that bursts out of the host chest on earth?

What about a human baby that's born on a spaceship somewhere or another planet? Are they suddenly an alien?

see

In the movies, yes he is. In the comics...maybe?

If Thor is thousands of years old, has anyone ever farted in his face? As a mere human with a normal lifespan, I think getting your face farted on is someone most people have experienced. Surely those odds would increase over the course of thousands of years?

Then again, Thor is a prince so most people would be likely to treat him with more respect.

Would Loki or the Warriors Three tried it once as a prank?

In Ragnarok they are: the director said it literally in an interview for IGN, answering (angry) internet users.
In the comics it is left ambiguous

Come on, dude.

His brother is the god of mischief. Of course someone has farted in his face.

I don't know about Thor, but I imagine that the fat guy from the Warriors Three regularly farted in Loki's face whenever he had the chance. The rest of the group saw it as good humor, but Loki would have become bitter at the humiliation, hence his betrayal in the first movie.

So is MCU thor powerless now that his hammer and asguard are destroyed?

Probably not, Asgard is a people

No.

He is an Asgardian. Asgardians were never born on Earth as a people.

Works if your logic was sound. Gaea is a goddess, not a human. Odin is most definitely an Asgardian. Thor is an Asgardian hybrid god being who kicks ass and takes names, verily.

What if Thanos destroy the Asgard refugee ship? Would Thor still have his powers?

>Thor, in the MCU movies specifically, is an alien or not.
In the MCU, Asgard is nut another plane of existence, is an actual place outside the Earth, I don't remember if it is like an actual planet, but it doesn't have to in order to be an Alien to everything on Earth, he was born and raised outside the Earth.

That's only in the comics, in the MCU he's Frigga's son unless stated otherwise.

>Is that from the Norse mythology or Marvel mythology?
In the Marvel comics Gaea gives birth to Thor in a cave on Earth.

I'll storytime it since it's short.

How the hell does Asgard work? It's literally just a giant city and some surrounding terrain floating in space. Was it created artificially, is it magic, did it just pop into existence with the rest of the Asgardians?

You know full fucking well that he's going to have a brand new hammer in Avengers 3. Those foam hammers sell too damn well for them not to.

Hope not. it would go against his character development.

How about a different weapon? Thor charging his swords with lightning was pretty cool.

Please like Marvel hasn't gone against character development in the following movies.

Almost certain to be some variant of the Ultimate Mjolnir.
Original Mjolnir will probably be back in Avengers 4.

Nope, too iconic.

It's not like Batman with a glock or or something, Thor likes fighting with hammers, it stands to reason he'd get himself a new one, even if it isn't the crutch his old one was. He'll keep the cool lightning effects, he'll just have a hammer as well.

They're higher beings from one of the many inter-dimensional planes of existence beyond Earth's universe (the 9 realms). They're shaped by old religions and cultures from all around the Earth, because that's where our heroes live.

Examples?

The whole point was that he didn't need it to use his powers.

nope Thor will still be hammerless and have 1 eye for part of Infinity War, then Thanos will kill most of the heros including Thor. When whichever hero eventually gets the glove away from Thanos, they will bring Thor back to life with both eyes and the hammer.

DAT fanservice.
Also, thanks for posting this. Will keep it at hand along with the origin of Marvel's gods for when this "aliens" nonsense inevitably pops up.

I'm pretty sure the OHOTMU lists him and other Asgardians as 'Extradimensional Beings Not Recognized as Gods.' So at least functionally yes.

>hela gets her powers from asgard

>asgard is a people

>gotta let asgard get destroyed so that her power is gone right

>Wait..

I think they assumed Sutur would defeat Hela bc Ragnarok

It's impossible to answer since these people won't actually define it and stick to a definition. "God" is just a label meaning "powerful" to everyone in comics these days. And everyone has to be an alien because they're too unimaginative to find ways of giving power to people without just assuming coming from Not-Earth automatically does it.

By "alien" do you mean "comes from a different planet" or "not the same species as humans" which makes a difference.

This. This is what they fucking need to go into. Both in the comics and the movies. Come up with a solid explanation/history/lore for the existence of the nine realms and stick to it. Disney goes for all style and no substance so we get pretty scenary with no functional explanation whatsoever. Which could add a lot more to the story.

What I want: Nine Realms/Worlds are planets/earths in a different dimension that are physically pinned to earth through Yggdrisil/Bifrost which is a "tree" but mostly just some kind of matter that connects different subdimensions (with magic)?. And they're all orbiting our sun but in different dimensions. If this was a map and all the realms where in the same physical plan it would be like 9 planets all connected all on the same orbit and trajectory.

The life in Asgard originated on earth and evolved differently being in the different realms which have different physical properties as well as magic. BOOM. There we go. No alien bullshit required. A physical earthbound explanation for everything. That's why the Asgardians can do space stuff but they've been localized to being around earth because they're still technically, physically where Earth/Midgar is too.

In Norse mythology, Thor's mother is Stone Giantess. Stone Giants are of slow mind. Thor inherited her intellect. And is a redhead.

And Loki is a cousin to Odin (through mother's side) and sworn a blood oath with Odin, making them like brothers. His father was named Farbautei, and mother was Laufei. Loki is fire born from lightning that struck a tree.

There are several kinds of giants in Norse Mythology, Frost (not really made of ice), Storm, Stone, Fire (those are exclusively from Muspelheim, and are not related to Jotunn of other kinds, which are descendants of Ymir). Asgardians are a mix of Buri (guy from ice) and Giants, and sometimes more giants, and gods from Vanaheim are neither Asgardians nor Jotunn.

Thor being son of Gaia is 616 thing, just as Loki being adopted son of Odin, and Loki's dad being named Laufei (and being just a Frost Giant).

The best theory I saw was that Asgard, and at least some of the other of 9 Realms (definitely Jotunheim, pic related), were made from a body of a dead Celestial (let's call him Ymir), who was killed and his body used to make some of those worlds, which is why they have atmosphere, despite not being full planets.

Buri was born of this Celestial, and had his power connected to it, same with his firstborn Bor, and his - Odin, and Hela was directly connected to power inside Asgard, as the firstborn of Odin.

In the MCU, yes, asgardians are aliens. And before you ask, yes, his “magic” is actually very advanced science. That’s why he will easily lose any fight with DCEU’s Man of Murder, which I’m sure all of this thread is actually about.

To be fair, I wouldn't doubt Marvel is trying to show Thor is SO independant of Mjolnir so viewers will think he can kick Man of Murder's ass. They seem a bit obsessed with the competition.

In the MCU he is an alien. Every asgardian is one.

Concept art shows him with Jarnbjorn

I thought the "realms" where other dimensions in the Marvel universe, not other planets in the way Jupiter and any of those millions of planets that are being discovered daily are.

Are we talking MCU? OP may have used the image for convenience and because he's clearly a casual who doesn't know there are easily better images via a 5 second browser search.

Thor's definitely extra-terristeral - that would be correct and a better and clearer definition than alien, for anyone like Jonn, Kal, the Kree, etc.

How old is this and is still canon with all the #1s and current 'Thor' is a position like Flash, that any number of similarly super-powered individuals can hold, even concurrently, and Odinson is the name of the former holder of the position of 'Thor.'

/esto

in the mcu, i think it's a planet (despite being a flat one) because hela asks why odin stopped at 9 realms when he could've taken the whole galaxy. this implies they're physical places on the same dimensional plane as earth

Not him, but
>How old is this
looks like 70s

>and is still canon
Marvel doesn't give a hit about continuity anymore, guess it's up to the fans to not forget proper canon.

>and Odinson is the name of the former holder of the position of 'Thor.'
Don't start this shit in this neighborhood, nigga