Hey Sup Forums, give me your best suggestions on Superman comics. The best off. Comics you read and just go, "damn"...

Hey Sup Forums, give me your best suggestions on Superman comics. The best off. Comics you read and just go, "damn". Dark superman comics will be greatly appreciated also

Other urls found in this thread:

calamityjon.tumblr.com/post/68994022825/header-image-by-ron-salas-ive-been-a-fan-of
mediafire.com/file/g9axskplt97tfk9/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Dark Superman comics will be greatly appreciated also

this is most of what you need

Thanks user, any personal recommendations to begin?

Well of course, the stakes have to be fucking fucked, like i believe it was superman vs brainiac? That film, well, brainiac is a dark fucked villain. Stakes were high, but it was well done and superman is done well also.

Action Comics. All of it.

Do they sell larger trades of Superman Adventures?

Where do i begin?

Chapter 1. Keep going and by the time you catch up, chapter 1000 will come out.

Casey's Superman, Millar's, Moore's, Loeb's, Maggin's, Kelly's, Kesel's, Kuppenberg's, Ordway's, Cooke's, McCloud's

You forreal?

half of these are shit

Where do you recommend i start?

Loeb is unironically the best modern Superman and Batman writer
then just chose things that look fun
most best of lists are bullshit
pick up almost any random book written before like 2004 or so with a Super symbol on it unless its by Jurgens or Johns and it's probably well written and/or at least fun

The 2017 annual was pretty fucking great.

Half of those are shit.

Yeah I can't say my recommendations are too different. If you want to glance into the New 52 and beyond era I'd add in Morrisons AC, Multiversity (kind of an extension of Morrison's AC but not really Superman), Unchained, The Men of Tomorrow, and Reborn

Expertly crafted bait

Notice, people, how he doesn't specify which half is shit, doesn't justify his opinions, and is attacking lauded classics to stir shit. This is the mark of a master baitsmith. Guaranteed to start an argument.

Earth 1 Superman
All-star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Superman: American Alien

calamityjon.tumblr.com/post/68994022825/header-image-by-ron-salas-ive-been-a-fan-of

Only thing I'd add is putting Rebirth Superman and Action pretty early on. Those are both damn good shit

Read All-Star Superman, definitely.

>Earth 1 Superman
Don't do this.

>Earth 1 Superman

This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a fucking joke.

anyone here have a dl link/softcopy/pdf version of American Alien?

Superman vs Cancer.

This ones good

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

What exactly does dark mean.

If this is you: and you mean the arc with Brainiac, that includes Supergirl from the 2000s, it's not particularly dark. I'd say the H'El on Earth and particularly the second arc with the same guy - Return to Krypton, have darker elements. The way you are writing it in the OP makes it sound like you want a dark (meaning evil, not hopeful, less inspiration and more fear inducing) version of Superman himself, versus say a more edgy (which has become a meaningless word because of how much it is tossed around, but it's the easiest emoji type definition that most people will accept) version of Superman.

Not that user, and I'm not going to defend E1 at a 100% pitch because stuff like the hooker with a heart of gold neighbor/potential hook-up-dating possibility as well as the "what were you thinking" speech to the General Assembly were just screech-worthy, and the villain in Book One is dismiss-ably uninteresting and unimaginative, but it had a lot of good beats and ideas, and the art (save the fact that Clark/Superman is always looking off to one side in every close up) is really strong.

It's not Grounded cringe-worthy and there are definitely enough good beats to suggest they trilogy be read at least once. I wouldn't recommend buying it - it's easy to pirate digital versions of it or to find in a library.

Superman - American Alien (2016) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
mediafire.com/file/g9axskplt97tfk9/

You don't ever really want to read a PDF version of a comic and they are hard to find in links; it's not hard to find good comic (.cbr / .cbz files, which are all RAR type archives of the jpeg files of each page/pages of the books/single issues) reader that is free to download for a phone, tablet or laptop/PC, whether you're using Windows, Unix/Linux or are a Mac or iOs user.

The guy who made secret identity is doing one for Bruce, I think #1 comes out next week or something.

They have TPBs of most of them available. If you have a library nearby, you should check them out for possible things to borrow. These would likely be in the teen or YA sections.

Not been paying attention if it's next week, but it's soon. Also not sure how close it will really be to the feel and story-line of Secret Identity, since it's set in a world where costumes vigilantes, much less actual super-powered super heroes don't really exist until the protagonist there gets gifted.

But Busiak's a good writer; I really have no interest in Batman by himself and have never even read any of the solo Elseworlds on him, but I might actually check this out when they trade gets printed or my local library or a friend gets it.

>local library
Libraries get comic books? I'm actually kind of on the fence on Secret Identity, I kinda liked it but it's not something I'd read again. I get what you mean though how a Batman : Secret Identity would work since it's set in like Earth Prime where everything is normal and Superman Secret Identity worked because it was revealed he was a meta, Bruce is just a man and I doubt Busiak would make him into this Martial arts, detective god.

wouldn't say 'half' are 'shit' as per but three of these are definitely not frequently 'lauded' nor are they mentioned in the same paragraph when they are described in any near-favorable fashion as 'classics' nor listed with any other series of Superman books considered 'classics' (which frequently would be Secret Identity, All Star Superman, most of the time Red Son and Kingdom Come.

Birthright is, again, most of the time recommended but never called CLASSIC but "highly praised," "rhapsodized over" or "spoken highly of" do not also get the frequent allusion here or in reviews, etc. Similarly, Superman Confidential/Kryptonite (which I personally like and would recommend but don't consider a classic and doubt if you stopped 100 people here or any ten random buyers of DC books at any ten random LCSs and asked, name 5 or name 10 classic Superman arcs/trades, would name drop it, Superman Adventures, or a few others.

The Cereal King is just as much praised as he is reviled - I wouldn't recommend his two books or the Luther book as 'necessary' for knowing 'modern Superman' or current Superman. They have nice beats but overall, no. And you'd be hard pressed to find universal consensus, which is what those recommended lists are supposed to be.

So, half and shit - not words I would use. But I would not recommend close to half of those books, especially to someone looking for a first introduction to Superman.

>Libraries get comic books?

I've actually seen floppies in the kids section of a handful of libraries. I had to pick someone up at the airport in San Diego (I live in LA) a few years back and their flight was delayed. I looked on line for the nearest place to eat that would still be near the airport and picked a Mexican food place about two miles from the airport - their flight was delayed another two hours. I saw a library nearby across the street and walked over and looked for something to read and found a stack of random comics from the 90s and 2000s including about 6 of the Stan Lee's Just Imagine and read this so I never had.

I've seen collected editions in Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco and New York. LA has tons of branches with books. Sometimes it's just stuff like manga and Sandman/Image, Fantagraphics, but I found two branches nearby that are full of DC and Marvel books and one that buys pretty much all the major New 52 trades (like Multiversity Deluxe and Superman Unchained, some of which don't circulate, but you can spend a few hours comfortably reading them).

You can just check on-line if anything near by has stuff you're interested in.

>Loeb is unironically the best modern Superman and Batman writer

People will disagree. But I do not.

Adventures of Superman#612-623
>AKA the run where Superman didn't throw a single punch and still managed to save the day.

What's so funny about truth justice and the american way is a pretty good story.

yeah joe kelly's superman run and the rest of those men of action wrote some good issues you got casey's run and steven t. eagle wrote, "It's a Bird".

cary bates should also be mentioned.

also add kirby's fourth world saga.

if you like luthor then keep reading paul cornell.