DC Comics Hypercrisis & Deepest Lore #2: Ultra Comics

So just what exactly is the subtext here in this book that's trying to be conveyed?

Other urls found in this thread:

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraa_(New_Earth)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Superheroes can't actually exist in our world so Morrison posits that the closest we can come is to have a superhero exist in our minds.

The Gentry represent how bad ideas can enter our minds only if we let them in, and we let them in by reading about them or someone telling them to us.

Ultra Comics is the opposite of that. He's a positive, heroic idea meant to enter our minds through this comic book. Morrison goes further with this by having Ultra himself mirror the actual literal printing of a comic book. Ultra IS the book itself in your hands.

But it's a trap, because the Gentry are written into the book as well, and so Ultra has been literally corrupted and figuratively corrupted by the Gentry. The warnings on the cover are telling you that by reading the comic you are opening your mind to the Gentry, and yet you read it anyway. Why didn't you listen?

But what was that Ultraa guy that ripped off the gem from Ultra's forehead?

That's just an old JLA villain that Morrison used because he had the same name.

/thread

But I thought Ultra was supposed to represent what the reader him/herself wished to be or something. Like, real people don't imagine themselves as superheroes to be inspired to do great things. Instead, people like to imagine themselves as superheroes or whatever to escape reality. That's what I thought Ultraa represented. Or maybe it was the cannibal teen superheroes that represented said concept.

The kids are just the consumerist audience, man.

>Deepest Lore #2
There was a thread one? Was it also a shitty ten post thread nobody cared about?

You're right, I meant to expand on that when I said how the superhero can only exist in our minds. By entering our minds and inspiring us to do good things, the hero becomes real because he's doing good deeds and heroic acts by proxy.

With the way Hypercrisis threads go nowadays, probably.

Read Flex Mentallo,

Oh I didn't know. That's cool.

Who Nebula? You're gonna need to explain that idea user.

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Ultraa_(New_Earth)

Faggots.

Is there any plans to expand the Hypercrisis reading list?

I feel like Morrison's book Supergods should be required reading since he explains a lot of what he does with comics there.

Or is it not on there because it's a book, not a comic?

>reading pictureless books
What do you think I am, some kinda nerd?

I think there's some pictures in there.

There's a couple, but they're black and white.

so im reading through multiversity and damn this shit is good.
>the watchmen knockoff

letters are just simple pictures

Why did Empty Hand look like an evil version of Ultra Comics?

This. I don't get how how Ultra made the leap to being the Empty Hand.

Well, it's the knockoff of the knockoff, because Watchmen uses knockoff versions of the characters Morrison uses in Pax Americana.

Empty Hand and Ultra were always the same thing. The Gentry are servants of the Empty Hand, and they needed a way into the Earth 33 universe. Ultra Comics made to be the perfect super hero, and the perfect comic book, because as Morrison has described: Empty Hand is the perfect villain because he's basically the reader while they're not reading a comic; i.e. while they're not bringing the world to life. When yu read Ultra Comics, yur letting the Gentry in. Ultra was little more than a pawn.

I'm currently reading The Invisibles, and I think it'd be worth putting that on there. You get to grips with a lot of Morriosn's occult shit and sigils.