Dumbing of Age, or "Can You Believe People Pay Money For This?"

It's the new one. New developments include:
>Edgelord Amber talks shit about her mother to her face
>Rapin' Ryan's parents are suing Edgelord Amber

You'd think that Willis would have led with that second development at some point. Y'know, like maybe when Amber and her mother showed up for the first time after The Stabbening?

I'm pretty sure the appropriate response is to countersue, knowing that any competent lawyer isn't going to try and take a lawsuit to court when his client is currently accused of multiple sexual assaults and attacked two women with a knife. As long as the DA's office considers Amber to be covered by self-defense laws any lawsuit would either be automatically thrown out due to civil protections or be facing a massive uphill battle due to the rapes and aggravated assault.

Self defense doesn’t cover excessive force, and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Amber only knifed him after he was down.

She should’ve just killed him and made Dorothy swear it was during the struggle.

>Rapin' Ryan's parents are suing Edgelord Amber
It's been HOW many months??? How in the world did Willis decide this is how we find out? Garbage excuse for plot development.

Wow! What a great way to reveal a new plot development, Willis. You truly are a master of the craft.

If Amber wasn't covered under self-defense laws she would have been arrested. Given what we saw of the fight, a prosecutor would be very wary of trying Amber due to the continuous nature of the fight, the lack of fleeing on the part of Ryan, and the very real threat Ryan posed when he threatened them with a knife. Best case scenario for Amber being prosecuted would be if the DA managed to get information regarding Ryan's accusations of sexual assault barred from admission, but even then Amber would be an extremely sympathetic defendant and publicity surrounding the case would be very negative. They could try to get her to plead out, but if Amber's lawyer played hardball they'd probably just decline to prosecute.

Don't forget
>Amber's mom is now a gold digger

When a dude knows where you live and shows up with a knife, simply disabling him by removing the knife isn't good enough.

He will either still fight you or come back with a better weapon.

I think maiming him probably wasn't the worst decision, because who would go back to attack the "Crazy Stabby Girl" after all that?

Using potentially lethal force in an intentionally non-lethal manner is a big no-no in self-defense.

CHARACTER IS SUFFERING CONSEQUENCES
REPEAT CHARACTER IS SUFFERING CONSEQUENCES
THIS IS NOT A DRILL

I'm genuinely surprised

You know, this strip would come off as a lot less sinister with Amber talking about murder if it had been closer to Ruth's femur threats and a lot further from her nearly murdering a dude for real.

Jesus, Willis.

I'm not sure how criminal matters relate to civil suits in the US. Does a failed crim prosecution, or successful defence, automatically preclude any civil suit?

I guarantee that Willis will tie it back into Ryan's family having connections due to their white privilege or something

>be crazy stab whore
>always threatening to hurt someone
>police is listening
>gets thrown in jail where she belongs.

Ryan figured out that Amber is Amazi-Girl before she stabbed him. If he can talk then she's actually fucked for messing around with him in public spaces.

He probably can't talk and everything will be fine with the suing, though.

>white privilege
nah it’s probably because Ryan’s dad has the most evil of jobs: A PASTOR!

Yeah, the civil suit for her liability in Ryan’s injury and healthcare could still swing in the direction of Ryan against amber.

Look at OJ, the first criminal trial and then later the civil suit. Found not guilty on criminal charges, but found responsible for restitution for the families of the victims.

>Does a failed crim prosecution, or successful defence, automatically preclude any civil suit?

No, this is what happened to O.J. He beat the federal murder charge but lost civil suit

so dude is slammin that eh? the moms pretty cute i'm down.

I don't see how he can hurt her as long as she knows he's an asshole chad.

wait i’m confused, how is having a set of clothes on hand for the lady you’re fucking make you a “monster” at all? i mean it’s kinda weird but i don’t get how this is supposed to be a sign that Richard is a bad guy.

it's pre-established he fucks anything that moves and hits on everything, constantly

The monster reference is to Amber saying stuff earlier. Stacy saying he brought clothes down is just showing that their relationship is more advanced than Amber previously thought.

While civil suits can still proceed in the face of a failed criminal prosecution/successful defense, as pointed out by and , the failure to prosecute can make it more difficult for a lawsuit to succeed (it should be noted that a lot of people thought OJ was guilty and got away with murder). However, many jurisdictions have laws that protect people who used legitimate self-defense from being sued by the aggressor or their family.

Not that it matters, I'd wager the lawsuit plot line is resolved by Ryan taking violent actions in public again.

Not to mention that kind of thought user is describing, ie. "I must act now to prevent future dangers" is not how self defense works in general. Preventing future danger is a job you take to the authorities. Whether this is always practical or not, or just, is another matter. But the legal aspect are pretty clear and distinct. You're not really allowed to go all Ender Wiggin on people because you feel like you're in danger.

There's the strip for reference.

I think panel 3 of is Amber being surprised that they're close enough that he has access to her clothes (it implies cohabitation, sharing home keys or having outfits in his home). She's also surprised that he'd do that for her.

Stacy also realizes it shows that their relationship is pretty serious.

Then the "he's not a monster" is using the kindness of that gesture to show that he's not a bad person like Amber previously stated (in the image in this post).

Ryan's a Pastor's Son with a Bright Future, who shouldn't let such minor things like multiple sexual assault charges hold him back.

Looking back, that would have been a better explanation for Joyce's mood swing post Stabbening: She could have stopped all of this by just reporting after she nearly got raped, but all her friends convinced her "LOL cops won't do anything." That would have been harder for Willis to write than a stop vendetta plot, though.

What ticks me off the most is that Willis only brought Ryan back so that Amber and Sal could bond. It's so unfair to Joyce and her resolution.

You just don't understand writing, user. Joyce's plotline with Ryan was completed when she glassed him. Nevermind that she developed mild agoraphobia as a result and was afraid of being alone in public for weeks in-comic and years outside it. Everything with her was resolved perfectly. That's why the plotline was passed from her to Amber and Sal completely off-screen and we only saw the aftereffects of that talk.

That's how good writing works. Shame on you for not knowing that. Shame on you.

That's a lie Amber, nobody loves you.

The funny part is that in the end, it wasn't even Amber and Sal taking Ryan down together. It was Amber alone, with Dorothy as a witness.

>son attempts murder
>sue people he attempted to murder

??? How does the fucking law work in Willisworld?

This is Indiana, Indiana is a red state you fucking commie Europoor.

He's straight up said that it wasn't Joyce's problem anymore, that she wasn't the one who needed resolution.

You know, after he showed us for literal years that she was having ptsd from just fucking walking around campus and that everyone, well almost everyone, looked like Ryan to her.

It really just all comes down to Willis not wanting to give this plot up at all, because he knows he can juice it for a long fucking time.

He tried making something even bigger with Toedad, but rushed it or realized that if he lingered on this people would question stuff about why Becky isn't exhibiting more emotion about it. Same with Joyce's mom, though I bet we'll come back to her eventually.

The point is, Willis purposely made his characters act like idiots and had them tell Joyce not to go to the cops, well except for Sarah, and now that it's gotten to this point I'm sure we're never bringing that up again. Because if he did, it'd mean that Sal, Dorothy, and I think Billie would all have to admit that they let a known rapist run around, all because they don't trust the cops.

You live in a terrible place

If you are a white person and you are not dirt fucking poor, you have all the privilege. That's how it works in his world.

Which is hilarious considering he makes 5 grand a month from drawing six panel comic strips while most other people have to toil away working retail or coal mines.

I just want Amber to go away forever right now.

She's making me miss Becky, by Christ

Even here in bongland the law doesn't require you to act with perfect rationality and restraint in dangerous stiuations. Instead it asks what is reasonable? In this situation, an unarmed teenage girl attacked by a serial rapist twice her size, would a reasonable person be justified in using leathal force?
Most juries would say yes and most prosicutors would know that.
Of course if they knew she was a physics defying vigalantly it might be a different story.

Even if there was no chance Ryan's family could win the fact that they can afford a lawyer and Amber can't puts them in a diffcult position. She can either settle and have everone say that means she's guilty. Bury herself in debt to hire competent defence. Spend the next 5 to 10 years doing nothing but defend herself

>implying Amber won't just dress up and murder everyone involved in the suit against her

That works too

Came up with a fun new name for this storyline: I Can't Believe It's Not Murder!

>or: A Cunt Named Amber

When he has to take time on a separate forum, Tumblr, or whatever from the comic to decode his own story so his fans will "get it", there's a Problem.

He's done this several times with other arcs and plot points, explicitly point out what his angles are, and what the reader should be feeling, and his fans keep eating it up.

>Instead it asks what is reasonable?
What's "reasonable" is "I was in fear for my life, he threatened to go after other innocent people after he killed me, so that dude had to be stopped before he killed me, and raped and killed others. Fuck you."

Goddamn limey cocksuckers.

The argument is that if you thought you had to use potentially-lethal force, why did you fire a warning shot/torture/etc instead if using lethal force?

>banging women makes you a monster
wat?

Yes. It's fine to explain minutiae or expand on a decision your characters make in a story, but when you need to outright describe what's going on to your readers, that is like you say, A Problem. If you need to read not only the story itself, but the author's blog or sift through hundreds of comments for information from the author, that is an abject failure of storytelling.

-oh, Sal's parents like her with straight hair
>that's cuz they're RACIST

-oh, Carla is tall and doesn't play rollerball
>that's cuz she's TRANS

-Joyce is deeply traumatized by her encounter with Ryan
>no, she's completely done with him

Putting important plot and character information that you were too damn lazy or incompetent to put in the story up on the comments sections or your personal blog for readers to scrounge around for is just terrible writing.

Now I wonder if him writing three months' worth of comics in one sitting actually contributes to that. You get an idea in your head that seems so clear and obvious and you start blitzing through chapters (or strips in this case) until you realize that, oops, it's not as clear as it should be. Most people go for a re-write at that point, but Willis believes time is too linear for that nonsense. Proofreading and second drafts? Pff! There's fights to start over Transformers, dammit!

Are we in October or November?

September or October. We haven't had Halloween yet.