Capeshit did not damage comics as badly as prettyprettydressshit ruined animation

Prove me wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rapunzel is my favorite Disney Princess.

Why do girls always want to be princesses
Why not president's daughters?

>Why do females always want to be feminine?

>>why do Disney trains little girls into thinking they will be pampered for the rest of their lives?

I liked Mulan. When presented with life's problems she responded with the most appropriate solution. MURDER!

Disney's Divas of Darkness are better.

No the cult and style of adventure time has ruined animation

>proving OP right

It's funny seeing people whine about CAPESHIT RUINED COMICS. Capeshit's been around since 1937, yet it's ruined EVERYTHING FOREVER.

You're right, user. Nothing in the 80+ year history of animation prior to Adventure Time could have possibly ruined animation. Adventure Time was such a radical paradigm shift that everything post-2010 and even IPs created long before then have been ruined by it.

Is that a real Supe panel?

Ariel is best girl.

Princesses aren't ubiquitous to animation as capes are to comics.

capeshit is just a symptom

Princess stuff sells. Every girl and woman wants to be a princess. Even when sjws force diversity and fat barbies, the classic will sell because little girls want perfect dolls.

If Disney were cool; all of them would be able to fight in those dresses.

I don't care so much about what capeshit is doing to comics than what it's doing to movies.

>wanting to be a princess
>ever

Why are girls so lame?

Being a princess is basically the ultimate expression of femininity. (Also far more so than being a queen.)

The awesome poofy skirts with pretty materials and jewellery and all the cool glitter appeals to little girls. Also the thought of being royalty. Presiden'ts daughters aren't associated with sparkly ballgowns, and besides that position only lasts a few years, you're not royalty

I can't.

The late 1990s and early 2000s saw an increasing amount of cool and interesting girl characters and girl leads in shows. Characters like Pepper Ann, Mulan, Kim Possible, June (of Kablam), and in live-action Alex Mack.
These were girl characters who were relatively free of traditional sugar-sweet feminine junk that had been dumped on girls before. (example: 1987 Webby) Girls were sick of that shit.
And... not only did girls watch the new, more daring shows, but so did boys. It wasn't embarrassing for a boy to watch them.

Prettyprettydressshit ENDED this.

Prettyprettydressshit didn't appeal AT ALL to girls over 6, but was a natural magnet to preschool girls and ESPECIALLY hyper conservative, reactionary parents. You know, the "dad takes you to the prom" crowd. It was so big with them that marketing shits decided: why market to older girls at all when we can have SUPER TEA PARTY PINKNESS (and even Mulan now dressed in the girly clothes she hated in her own film...)

Prettyprettydressshit turned the corporate idea of "girl culture" back into what it was in the 50s, and once again turned shows about girls into something boys didn't want to watch too—in fact, it made girl stuff into something so treacly that boys actively RESENTED girls, and upon becoming teenagers looked down on their girl peers in a way they didn't do in the 90s.

Girls reacted by being offended, boys reacted by becoming more offended still.

And now you have the great War of SJWs and Betas which is, literally, what happens when a "girl stuff/boy stuff is icky" 5-year-old frame of mind becomes an adult religion. It's insane.

Prettyprettydressshit has more to do with this than most people ever even think about. the late 1990s were the most equal boy and girl kids had ever been, and Prettyprettydressshit ruined that and created a culture of resentment.

Princess fairytales have been a thing forever, and princess animations have been a thing since 1937. A princess musical was the first feature-length Disney animation.

You think feature-length films ruined animation?

>Doing nothing and being loved for it
Sounds pretty neat

Added note: I date Prettyprettydressshit era from the start of Disney Princess as a brand of its own, around 2000. This predated the last of the good girl-starring series I mention, but it took awhile to have its ripple effect.

>You think feature-length films ruined animation?

No, OP is talking about the wave of incredibly reactionary girl marketing/branding that started with Disney Princess becoming a brand of its own, around 2000 as I mention above.

And I agree with OP like crazy. It not only ruined a lot of animation but caused real, negative social change.

>not mentioning W.I.T.C.H.
You had a great post, but went and ruined it.
2/10 would not read again

2/10 post ruiner here.
Sorry, WITCH is also one of the greats.
I'm biased because I've seen the EuroWITCH comics, the art is total gold, and to me the cartoon doesn't look as good.

I can also mention original PPG, and maybe Jane Lane from Daria (Daria herself is an odd thing... basically good character but far too repetitive, oddly like her old pals Beavis and Butt-head that way)

you're a princess for life until your dad is overthrown either by coup or invasion.

presidencies have a term limit and surprisingly have as much if not have more tendencies to have daughters being kidnapped than royal ones.

>Prettyprettydressshit ENDED this.

>The late 90's and early 00's was full of cool action girls until princesses ruined it.
>When princess movies weren't popular outside the late 90's and early 00's

For all you bitch about the 50's nobody gave a single fuck about Disney princesses then. Sleeping Beauty more or less flopped and nobody gave a shit about it until the 90's and the princess brand was actually invented.

If you want to be retarded go bitch on your blog.

13500000000 BCE
The Big Bang creates the universe as we know it. The protons, neutrons, and electrons that will eventually compose Transformers are formed, ruining it forever. A Thursday.

The cartoon art is better, the comics make them look like they have pig noses among other things.
(Also they look ridiculously young, not like teens.)

Shrek did far more damage.

Huh? I'm not bitching about the 50s.

I'm saying that the princess brand being invented, in around 2000, revived a kind of cultural depiction of femininity that had been diminishing since the 1950s, and that the 1990s had finally killed.

Prettyprettydressshit brought it back, to everyone's disadvantage

>prettyprettydressshit
Can this be a meme?

You're fucking retarded. The Little Mermaid came out in the 80's and was essentially the top grossing animated film of all time besides Snow White almost immediatley. The entire reason any studio that wasn't Disney jumped onto the train was because most of them were failing or barely getting by anyway. Shit, even Disney's studio was more or less on it's last legs until that movie saved it. This isn't me bullshitting you, this is right there in the Illusion of Life and you can look up the box office numbers and release dates yourself.

Except you literally called out the 50's and your dates are all verifiably wrong. This isn't even just about you being retarded, this is just you literally getting the hard numbers wrong literally any time you use them.

I'd tell you to go back to your community college liberal arts professor, but even they'd probably fail you if you brought this back to them.

Retarded user here.

Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan were movies about princesses, and super popular, but deservedly so. They were great.

And they were NOT prettyprettydressshit. Beauty and Mulan were almost ANTI prettyprettydressshit, not in that the characters never wore dresses, just that they actively challenged old fashioned restrictive ideas about being a girl.

Prettyprettydressshit was c. 2000 Disney marketing people creating a brand that piggybacked on the success of those movies but literally turned the vibe back to old fashioned restrictiveness.

The daring 1990s girls shows could coexist with the 1980s and 90s princess movies.

They could not coexist with 2000s prettyprettydressshit for long. Prettyprettydressshit is poison to cool girls' shows, especially the kind that both girls and boys would want to watch.

I actually think Star Vs Evil is almost a 90s show in a lot of its attitude, but it shows the effect of prettyprettydressshit in that the heroine had to be at least visually a post-prettyprettydressshit princess before the network would take the show.

I think the word you are looking for is "improved".

Shrek was basically the first animated movie by a company that wasn't Disney that was an actual major success. As much as Comcast really wants Spirit to be a thing and as much as we all want to fuck Chel, Dreamworks was hemmoraging money through the whole 90's and Disney was basically pulling wacky shit left and right to make sure no smaller company even had a chance.

Before that point other than Disney you had what? Don Bluth making basically everything else people bothered to watch in that bracket outside Heavy Metal and Fritz the cat being some niche shit as what was basically a once in a decade fluke.

You literally would not have an actual multi company industry if Shrek didn't sell.

>ariel
>post movie end human form
>rapunzel
>pre movie end hair instead of brunette

also why the fuck is aurora wearing pink and not blue?

Sorry, meant to do THIS

(also, maybe would be better with Kim Possible on the left and some Bratz looking thing on the right...)

So you're telling me that Disney took a bunch of movies, reran those movies to death, but this somehow killed those movies and their tv shows, despite also having more TV shows starring female protagonists running at the exact same time?

Kim Possible ran for most of the 00's and was right in the fucking middle of that decade. Lilo and Stitch was also right in the middle of it. The gap between those brands ending and Tangled coming out, which was essentially a 90's movie done in 3D down to Glen Keane basically getting a blank cheque, was a couple of years at most. Once you account for shows with a more or less even gender split like the replacements it literally boils down to a span of under a year where Disney Channel had NO new animated shows coming out and the entire industry was in a slump because every network was slashing everything.

There was no gap. There was no brand ruining anything. This is literally just you bitching about problems that don't exist because people you don't like like what you like.

>He doesn't love Quest to Camelot

This has more to do with the fact that Brave was probably the most poorly recieved pixar movie to date when it came out and the company literally had to cover for the studio's terrible job at making an actual movie. Brave was probably the beginning of the end for Pixar since every problem Brave had was a problem that eventually killed The Good Dinosaur and forced the studio into what's essentially an endless slurry of sequels.

Quest for Camelot bombed at the box office dude. It didn't even make it's budget back.

1. Say Princesses, as in the brand you are sk furiously assaulting here.
2. Nothing outside that brand even is like that.
Not Tangled, not Brave, not Frozen, not Moana.
Elsa and Anna are even the only ones of the bunch to actually behave as royalty at all.
And Star VS. is even like a radical antithesis of the limiting princess stereotype, introducing stereotypical princess behavior as a fate worse than death and its subversion as a righteous rebellion. The whole show is about broadening the scope of female characters with Janna, Starfan, Moon the Undaunted etc. Hell, they even made a joke about princess merch and Marco making for a better princess than Star.
You are utterly blinded by your hatred for a fucking toy brand.

Now someone's just gotta put it on KYM to make me famous... oh and you too, I suppose.

>Elsa and Anna are even the only ones of the bunch to actually behave as royalty at all.

Elsa and Anna aren't even in the fucking princess brand. Frozen basically became it's own seperate thing from day one with no crossover.

The only character from after the year 2000 that gets any actual play on princess merchandise is Rapunzel, who's actually on products. For Merida it was literally just a ploy to move products with characters nobody wanted on them, and Tiana is currently on fuck and all if you actually walk down a toy aisle, and even fucking Aurora at least gets to stand in the second or third row.

>Star VS. is even like a radical antithesis of the limiting princess stereotype
Oh fuck off, SVTFOE is a terrible show and Star is a terrible character.

Well, this is why even as I posted the meme, I suggested someone could make a better version.
To work right it needs a character on the left who really predates the prettyprettydressshit onslaught, which started years before Brave

I believe that quality is more important than money, because a loyal fanbase seeing an interesting product is more important to establish than a casual fanbase swallowing easy stuff. Ted Turner agreed(OG Cartoon Network originals, WCW).

don't forget OP who is correct AF

Which sounds good, except Cartoon Network has always been dead last in ratings among any kids network. It spiked a bit with adult swim and anime and other niche groups, but half thse fanbases lost their loyalty because the network fucked up their shit and other channels and services took them on afterwards.

Money and ratings are the only thing that matter when comparing objective numbers of who wins, who loses, and what people are actually watching. You can have good shit that gets no viewers, and bad shit loved by large numbers of people, but that's not really what this discussion is about.

Oh yeah, him too. But only for coining the term, the post is irrelevant.

If you can't even make your own meme's, your even more hopeless than I thought. Go to a drawthread and beg for it like everyone else with no talent.

Regardless, she is a brash, vindictive and easily excited hooligan with a magic weapon of random destruction.

Yeah... no. That's what the show WANTS you to think, in reality she's basically just a more violent Disney princess.

Well the discussion is about whether something is good or bad for the art, so if something good is out there inspiring artists, and it cancels out something bad inspiring artists, it's relevant. If female characters in the OG Samurai Jack inspired shows like Villainous more than Hercules did, then it is a very important note. Because artists consume more art than the average person, because they love that art. What artists watch is more relevant to this discussion than what gen pop watches.

Wait. So what you are saying is that the show misrepresents its own titular hero who does not appear outside of it?
Also, even without the violence, how is she like every Disney princess?
She seems more like an extreme version of some girl you meet at school. And everyone's morality is highly questionable over the story, as opposed to the typical good/evil split. And she certainly has no need for a prince to save her. Maybe for a "princess" but let's not get into shipping, or sweater sniffing.

Many Disney princesses can fight in their dresses. Some are even cute little girls with flying unicorn mounts equipped with magical bracelets and given a supersecret missions to bring happy ends to stories that don't have a good end yet.
And then there's feisty spic princesses armed with scepters of lights fighting mayincaztec-demons and goblins and evil sorcerers.

But generally, most Disney princesses are capable action heroines.

This is one of the best Elena of Avalor episodes.
Disney has definitely no problem making weird shit with their princesses.

>And then there's feisty spic princesses armed with scepters of lights fighting mayincaztec-demons and goblins and evil sorcerers.
Alena of Avalor is the best Disney princess in a while.

It really is good. It has awesome world building with its mysteriously vanished ancient civilization of Meru (well, first episode of the new season explains how they all died out), doesn't shy away from people being killed or turned to stone forever, has potential for lots of drama when the cousin will have to come clear with his big shameful secret, and a supportive cast of fellow teenagers capable of kicking butts and taking names (although I do find Naomi to be kinda bland and useless compared to swordsdude and magic dude).

Yeah. Ever since the Renaissance they have been awfully prone to get into combat.
Mulan fought in an army and led an infiltration mission.
Rapunzel basically went Indiana Jones levels of action hero. Elsa is a sorceress, Merida is an accomplished archer and Moana a capable sailor. They aren't the most prominent as far as branding goes, but the Princesses brand obviously has not ruined the animation department. On the contrary, if anything it produced a balancing effort that produced narratives of more powerful, more self-sufficient and funnier young women from Disney.
Today it stands in stark contrast to the media output of the Mouse.
Ancient paper cutouts like Aurora don't appear anywhere but as pretty images.
Hell, even fucking Barbie has magic adventures with dragons and shit these days. I used to have an old cassette tape with a Barbie audio play lying around in the early 90s (the thing must have been made in the 80s, I inherited a box full of tapes from a cousin) and you know what that was about? Sleepovers and basic rules for how to play with puppies.
Why do I even remember that shit?
Anyway, the scope of what female characters can be and do has never been more open than today. And if Disney makes princesses do shit that you'd see soldiers and sailors do in 19th century novels, I think they can also have them do girly stuff.

No,that was Cars 2

Girlygirl-princesses in prettyprettydressshit doing absolutely nothing dangerous and just staying as girlygirls might not even really exist.

Heh. The blocky look of the applications makes them look like they are all dressed in Eastern European styles.

Well, it does, kinda. In painting books and toys for little girls.
But not in narrative media for children beyond 6 years of age, I would say.
So you see it on juice boxes and yogurt cups. Because it's pretty pictures.
But there is little beyond that. Only commercial franchising.
So it is a paper-thin layer of sugary nothing over girly items.
All the narrative media are full of ass-kicking, monster-wrangling, dragon-taming, messy-haired young women who are perfectly capable of holding their own storyline.
The Princesses line basically provides dust to blow off stereotypes at this point.

why did this exist?

Old-school moral guardians.

What? How?

You really haven't heard of it?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seduction_of_the_Innocent

Nope. Happily out reach of this particular idiocy.

Merida is cute.

Because Anna is adorable, perfect, and the type of girl I’d bring home for cuddles

She's not even the best sister.

>why don't faggots want a qt to pamper

I loved all of the Disney princess movies growing up, but never really wanted to be a princess or any type of royalty. I wanted to be a veterinarian.

This is what really ruined animation, prove me wrong

>Prove me wrong
Europe.

Europe does fine with animation and comics, because they didn't have the Comics Code restricting the entire medium to only producing children's content. They get more inspiration for animation as a result (it is easier to turn a comic into a movie than a book).

Disney dominating the animation scene in the U.S. didn't help much either, but it was hardly the only factor.

How is it that you can explain word for word exactly how Shrek did a shit load of damage and NOT understand how Shrek did a shit load of damage? Why do you think everyone and their grandmother is pushing for 3D animation?

So in short, the prettyprettydressshit is actually just superheroines in puffy clothes.
Everyone ought to be happy.

If there's one point to complain about, then it would probably rather be that those modern princesses are such ultra-powerful idealistic role models.
They look perfect, they are always cute, they can kick butts, they are very stylish, they are very competent, they live very exciting and interesting lives, they have awesome social skills, they are smart, they have tons of talents, they have perfect-looking love interests, they have 10/10 bodies, and practically all of them can sing.
And their adventures are superbly animated (because it's by the Disney studio, one of the greatest animation companies in the world).

In short, they're demigoddesses and idols for little girls to aspire to, and they're superfunny.

People like Marco Diaz did everything right when they became cute princesses.

What exactly is "ruined" about animation?

Well, not in quite so hyperbolic terms for the most part. But there is a thing with making female characters too competent in everything. Which is a bias that will likely right itself over time as writers become more comfortable with female psychology and its unique challenges.
We already see very flawed women in a ton of media and the more women you have around the easier it gets to differentiate them against each other and show weakness with making them blubbering idiots or wusses.
Just take SU, SvstFoE, LoK, GoT, Fury Road, Frozen and others like them. Once you can get two or three women into a room to talk you can easily characterise them in a short time. And that is where their strengths and weaknesses come to the fore.
Which is a bit hard to do with the one girl on the show and a paralysing fear of depicting any kind of emotion as you saw on 90s shows.

>SU, SvstFoE, LoK
All of these are garbage, and the female characters in them are a major reason why.

I disagree, but regardless of how good the shows are, they have developed female characters with flaws and personality. Even if you hate their personalities.

>regardless of how good the shows are
Unfortunately you cannot separate this. A good character cannot exist in a bad show, if said show is bad because of writing failures.
>they have developed female characters with flaws and personality
They are not really developed, nor do they have real flaws. Look below the thin veneer on the surface.

>not wanting to be President Vanellope von Schweetz
get on my level

She's a president-princess.

because the president's daughter doesn't get power easily. Princesses get power easily and they can wait for their parents to die for more

Elena of Avalor is ridiculously underrated.

And did you live that dream?

>Choosing a position where you can't control for life
That's the dumbest political move I've ever seen.
Not even like they have to worry about future generations, they're immortal in those boxes.
Rule for life or get back out the code.

But Mulan's still looks like an oriental war costumes. Just with sparkly cloth.

t. Merryweather

Alright, please explain to me how Pearl is not a developed character.
We have met her, seen her handle various situations, learned her longings and fears, followed her relationships to Rose, Greg and Steven as well as Garnet and Amethyst. Her relationships, even conceptions on the nature of the world have been tested and changed over time.
She has changed her attitude on Steven and Greg, learned to live with rejection from Rose and begun to look around at other people. We have seen mounting glimpses at a big unspoken truth about her that she hides from Steven and maybe even the CG.
That is a thin veneer?
Are you telling me to distrust the show so deeply that I do not accept it as being genuine about what it presents in its text and subtext?
Are you telling me that the dozens of character moments where we learn about her strengths, weaknesses, leanings, wants and regrets are but a ruse?
That she is not a complex personality tormented by regret and loss, longing for faith in herself and hiding behind a prim and proper facade that gives her comfort but also reminds her of her lowly standing; but a cardboard cutout merely posing to be that person?
I'm sorry, but fiction doesn’t come in any more real.

How desperate are you faggots if you think fucking Elena is good. I could only watch the first three episodes before immediately turning it off due to the protagonist being the most annoying, unlikable person ever.